PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the keynote?

yagran
Jan 9, 2007, 01:56 PM
So whats your opinion, personally i think it was to focused on the iphone...
im in the uk so it doesnt come out here for ages...GREAT. and no new software, not even an update, that blows. Iphone looks great tho. Also the Apple TV seems altoghether useless to me? why does it need a 40gb hard drive and processor if it connects wirelessly to computers? surely streaming would have been more clever? and tey didnt even updated the screens to work properly with it! And itunes store UK still has no movies!!! GRRR. Pointless fo anyone in the uk in my opinion, whats the point of it? big whoop i can watch my music thru my crappy tv speakers ?? :confused: :mad:

Dyaus
Jan 9, 2007, 02:02 PM
I really wanted to see something about Leopard and there was no metion. :mad:

yagran
Jan 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
when he said were releasing three new products today, i was like 'oh thats cool, a fair few then'. then he goes 'but there all in the iphone', i ddnt know what to think, did he expect me to be happy they were only releasing 1 instead of 3 products. :(

MikeyTree
Jan 9, 2007, 02:24 PM
I was disappointed that there was nothing for the Mac. Even just release dates/months for Leopard and iWork 07 would have sated me.

The iPhone is cool, but it's too expensive and has far too little memory for me to actually consider buying it.

michaelsaxon
Jan 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
AppleTV is interesting, but the phone is way too expensive for me. 802.11n doesn't help me because I have a Core Duo Macbook Pro which apparently doesn't upgrade to "N" like the Core 2 Duos.

No news on iLife, Leopard, iPods, etc.

Not much for me to be excited about.

Gamdoan
Jan 9, 2007, 02:39 PM
This has to be the worst MacWorld in my recollection. I was super excited to see a Leopard demo, and to order iLife '07 and iWork '07. Especially iWork, which I use all the time.

The name change scares me. The iPhone is useless to me since it is super expensive, and Cingular won't touch South Dakota with a 200 mile pole.

And the Apple tv? Please. If it had DVR capability, I'd be on board. But, everything has to go through iTunes.

My only highlight of the day wasn't even in the keynote, and that's the new AirPort Extreme Base Station. I'll probably get one of those sometime this Spring when I get married. Oh well.

This was a sad day that I got way too excited for. I fear the Mac is getting replaced by Steve's stupid little toy called iPhone.

icymountain
Jan 9, 2007, 02:42 PM
No ultra light laptop :mad: :(
No new screens :(
No leopard :mad:
And I care less with phones :mad: :mad: :mad:

Aniej
Jan 9, 2007, 02:43 PM
I could not disagree more. There is nothing wrong with a focused keynote. In fact, it is somewhat refreshing once and a while to have a situation where the man himself takes the time to really go into what I believe is one of the most revolutionary concepts I have seen. Not only is it functional, but aesthetically it is amazing. The price is high if you were expecting them to give it away, but the fact is they have pulled it off and brought mobile technology to the next level and far beyond.

michaelsaxon
Jan 9, 2007, 02:48 PM
Well, then get one of the Apple nugs to demo the rest of the stuff that people are obviously interested in. If you aren't into the phone, there really wasn't much to see here.

Peligro
Jan 9, 2007, 02:51 PM
This is my first time witnessing a live Macworld. I made the switch early last year and have become more addicted since. I was hoping for an update to the Mac Pro. A price drop, Cores maybe. Some More Juiciness about Leopard. I think the iPhone is really cool! I'm not that interested tho. I'm happy for everyone that has been dreaming of one.

I found the announcement of the name change to be scary. Obviously this keynote is a good example of how they are dropping the "computer" focus on the company. Which is kinda cool in a way but scary too. Just when I start getting into this whole thing they switch focus? I hope this isn't as bad as I think it could be.

I'm voted on disappointed but I am not totally bummed. I still think it was a great keynote. And I still think Steve and Apple are "Wicked cool". I can't wait to see the video.:cool:

yagran
Jan 9, 2007, 02:52 PM
iPhone - i think we maybe put to much pressure for them to announce it today... i mean it still needs to be accepted by FCA and its not coming out in england until Q4! I was so excited to buy one today! and its not as if i can even buy one form the usa and unlock it because of its integration with the cingular network...god im annoyed and upset

edit: also i would say the price for hem is fair as ive never seen such truely amazing technology, i.e multitouchscreens for that price range. and storage level is great for a phone..replaces me nano and moto pebl as soon as it gets to the uk...IN LIKE A BILLION YEARS. i waited long enough for it to be announced and i saved up my money, and u just tease me apple!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MatthewCobb
Jan 9, 2007, 02:53 PM
I have been very rude about phones on previous posts, but I also said (check those posts!) that if it integrated a touch-screen vPod and Blackberry style capability, it would be cool. Which it is! And yes its expensive, but so were top range iPods. Leopard will come. More importantly, personal electronics have jsut changed.

sixstorm
Jan 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
Apple TV = $300 that ONLY streams iTunes content. Why not stream Safari as well as other programs? For $300, it had better do more than just stream iTunes content.

iPhone - I was amazed at how cool the phone was. However, Cingular is the only carrier. Why not others? Also, I'm not paying over $300 for a cell phone. I know it does other stuff, but for $600+, it's starting to sound like a PS3.

Where the heck is Leopard? Where the heck is the 12" MBP? If they would've talked about those two things, I would have been in debt by now! Overall, the Keynote was a bit disappointing. I guess there's always the next event . . . when is it?

elbirth
Jan 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
This keynote was a huge letdown for me. Sure I think the iPhone looks amazing and it has me considering a switch to Cingular to get one.
When I saw that the keynote was going to be 2 hours this time, I was super stoked. I just knew it was going to be jam-packed with new products, speed bumps on the computer lines, demos of leopard and iLife, etc. he spent 2 WHOLE HOURS talking about 2 products. I simply can't believe that. I know Steve wants to pimp out the iPhone as much as possible, but come on. Where was the "one more thing", etc? Sure there were really 3 things with the airport basestation being thrown in there without an announcement, but NOTHING that was discussed is available for immediate shipping.

I've been anticipating this for months since the announcement of quad core processors in hopes of getting an 8 core Mac Pro on order today. I've been saving up and keeping my credit clear just for that purchase and I've been extremely disappointed.

My only hope now is that since the quad cores are being released this week that they'll do a refresh soon down the line.

lamina
Jan 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
I was expecting iLife and iWork 07, but I am not overly disappointed that it wasn't mentioned.

I am, however, pretty upset that there was no mention of Leopard. I wasn't expecting a release today, but maybe even a release date.

The iPhone is amazing and shows how much Apple is ahead of the game, but I have no use for a phone. It would be cool if the next iPod had the same features, sans phone capability, especially Google Maps, because I never know where the hell I'm going.

I wasn't expecting any updates to the portable lines or iMacs, or even the iPod really.

The main focus of my excitement for today was Leopard, and not even a single mention! I'm glad they're not pushing it out before it's ready, but jeez!

caveman_uk
Jan 9, 2007, 03:14 PM
I should thank Steve Jobs for a Keynote that saved me money and didn't have me lusting after something. Amount to be spent as a result of this keynote - £0

AppleTV - pointless.
iPhone - beautiful. I'm NEVER spending that much on a phone. EVER.
New Airport Extreme - cost twice what it should.

maverick808
Jan 9, 2007, 03:17 PM
This is the first MWSF in years where there is not a single product, hardware or software, that is ready to ship today.

It's so dissapointing that there was no Leopard, iWork, iLife, not to mention the lack of any actual computer hardware updates.

Like others have mentioned, I care little for AppleTV and a phone that might not be available to buy where I live (UK) for nearly a year. Don't even know why he bothered mentioning a product that won't be ready to ship in any region for half a year, much less spending 90 minutes of a keynote on it.

Worst. MWSF. Ever.

Gaelic1
Jan 9, 2007, 03:21 PM
I really wanted to see something about Leopard and there was no metion. :mad:
I have an Apple Computer. I want upgrades to that as well as software for it. I don't want a telephone or a TV streaming device. What I want is Apple Computer to get back to building great computers and software to run on it. In short, I like Apple Computer Inc, I'm not very happy with Apple Inc!!:mad:

chicagdan
Jan 9, 2007, 03:22 PM
This is my first time witnessing a live Macworld. I made the switch early last year and have become more addicted since. I was hoping for an update to the Mac Pro. A price drop, Cores maybe. Some More Juiciness about Leopard. I think the iPhone is really cool! I'm not that interested tho. I'm happy for everyone that has been dreaming of one.

I found the announcement of the name change to be scary. Obviously this keynote is a good example of how they are dropping the "computer" focus on the company. Which is kinda cool in a way but scary too. Just when I start getting into this whole thing they switch focus? I hope this isn't as bad as I think it could be.

I'm voted on disappointed but I am not totally bummed. I still think it was a great keynote. And I still think Steve and Apple are "Wicked cool". I can't wait to see the video.:cool:

My fellow Chicago mac user makes a good point ... I too found the name change disconcerting. It seems like Steve is setting us up for a time in the near future when OS-X will be set free to appear on any Intel box and Apple will stop making computers, focusing instead on OS-X based entertainment and communications devices. Mac World isn't even about the Mac anymore.

But still, there will be many, many more Steve announcement keynotes this year ... there's the Leopard/iWork/iLife release still to come. There will be WWDC. Will we have Mac-based keynotes anymore? Maybe not. Now that they've shifted to Intel and there's no surprise left, unless a new form factor is introduced, changes may come regularly and quietly.

cbrain
Jan 9, 2007, 03:22 PM
The keynote was terrible.

It's called "MacWorld" yet there was nothing in there about the mac. Just this little toy that dosn't really interest me that much called the "iPhone" and the "Apple TV".

I was desperate to see iLife 07, as I'm going to a place where there is an Apple store, and I really wanted to buy it then. For the very first time, Apple have actually disappointed me. :(

saunders45
Jan 9, 2007, 03:23 PM
I think the keynote was a bust. Waaaaaaaaayyyy to much time spent on the frickin' iPhone, and I'm the perfect demographic for it. My iPod 4Gen just died, and my Samsung Cingular cell is on the fritz, but there is no way in hell I'm paying $600 for a nano/phone combo. 8gig is not enough space, especially when you start putting any video content on there. Thanks Steve, I'll pass...:confused:

iSplode
Jan 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
I wasn't sure what to expect, and wasn't really wishing for anything in particular, so, I thought the Keynote was so-so. Great features on the iPhone, but, why announce it 6 months in advance after so much hype? And why Cingular, possibly the worst phone company on Earth? And why is Yahoo necessary for email? Boy, I bet the contract for this phone will require that you hire a Lawyer with all these corporations providing 3rd party services. YUCKO!

iTV was interesting, but, I just don't get it. A crippled, iTunes-only DVR for $300 that has only 40 GB storage?? Did I miss something? Does it do anything else but stream media? Didn't the Airport Express do that for half the price? Did you see the System Requirements just to use this thing?

Widescreen (16:9) enhanced definition or high definition television with an HDMI, DVI, or component video input
Wired or wireless network
iTunes 7 or later
Broadband Internet connection (fees may apply)
Macintosh computer with Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later; or PC with Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2).

I didn't feel this way when the iPod was announced. THAT was revolutionary and made me want to buy an iPod immediately. This, not so much.

bankshot
Jan 9, 2007, 03:27 PM
Definitely disappointing. Not so much in what was presented, but in what was left out.

iPhone and Apple TV were about what I expected. Not interested in either of them as they stand, though a few tweaks to Apple TV could have had me feverishly ordering one today. Too bad. I'd love the internet capability of the iPhone while on the go, but definitely not at that price + contract. And I don't need the phone part, I still don't even own a cell phone... :D

iPhone took up way too much of the keynote. Yeah it's cool, it has a ton of features. I get it. But boy, is Steve in love with that thing or what? :p

Missing in action were:

Leopard progress report - were those features "top secret" or just "vaporware"?
iLife
iWork (new spreadsheet?)
Mac updates - C2D Mac mini, 8-way Mac Pro, or something new??
Display updates - with built-in iSight??
Apple Computer (Rest In Peace)

This really brings up the question about Leopard - where/when will Steve demo it before release? The schedule is spring, so it should be no later than June 20th. They won't just release it without demoing final versions of stuff we already saw, plus the unannounced so-called Top Secret features. So, when?

ownerofmac&ipod
Jan 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
I think what most people are missing is that we've seen the future of the iPod with the iPhone. Look for a revamp of the iPod by the end of the year or early next. Same size but with the features of the iPhone but without the iPhone stuff. The new iPod interface is slick and Apple's not going to limit it to just the iPhone. The rest of us who are locked into contracts with Verizon and Sprint, or don't want an all-in-one deal still want the cool features of the new iPhone. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a revamp of the enitre line. iPhone, iPDA(no phone but PDA like features), iPod, iTablet, etc. all based on this new technology.

It's too cool to think it will stay only on the iPhone. That's what I think anyway.

baleensavage
Jan 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
I too was disappointed with the keynote today.

The iPhone is a great device, but nothing that I'd buy. If they get rid of the phone capabilities and make it a real video iPod with wifi, I'd be all over it. Plus the whole cingular thing is a downer. On the whole though it was a good announcement for Apple and I'm sure it will revolutionize the cell phone industry.

The iTV is lame. All it is is a front row interface to your computer with a hard drive. Nothing really exciting there. Like others have mentioned, add in Web browsing, a DVD drive, the ability to record TV onto the hard drive, then maybe it would be worth the $300 price tag.

And removing Computers from the name makes sense, but it doesn't bode well for the computers part of Apple.

As for not having 10.5 info, I'm actually glad that they didn't. Vista is just out of the box. Let Vista cool off a little before Apple blows it out of the water. We don't want Microsoft stealing Apple's thunder with their 3-years-too-late OS. It'd be like if Apple released the iPhone right after the Zune thing came out.

elbirth
Jan 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
The keynote was terrible.

It's called "MacWorld" yet there was nothing in there about the mac. Just this little toy that dosn't really interest me that much called the "iPhone" and the "Apple TV".

I completely agree. I'm really wanting them to put up the video stream of the keynote so I can see if MacRumors had it right when they put this on the live coverage feed:

9:18 am we're only talking about the mac today

If Steve really said that, it's a flat out LIE. Nothing was about the Mac, except for devices that can interact with them. When I saw that, I just knew leopard and speed bumped Macs were just moments away.

chicagdan
Jan 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
I think the keynote was a bust. Waaaaaaaaayyyy to much time spent on the frickin' iPhone, and I'm the perfect demographic for it. My iPod 4Gen just died, and my Samsung Cingular cell is on the fritz, but there is no way in hell I'm paying $600 for a nano/phone combo. 8gig is not enough space, especially when you start putting any video content on there. Thanks Steve, I'll pass...:confused:

I was thinking too that I'm the perfect demographic ... tied in Cingular customer, not terribly happy with my moto phone, Apple freak. I agree that the price is terrible and the memory too small.

I wonder if video streaming to the phone might be announced before the product hits the shelves. The PSP can stream movies via Sony's LocationFree player. Maybe the Apple Phone will stream via a Slingbox or Apple Movie and they won't announce the functionality until later. Otherwise, I can't understand why they'd release a wide screen iPod without the storage space to hold movies.

Bern
Jan 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
Fancy having a Keynote dedicated to a gadget that won't be seen until 2008 :( Oh sure the U.S. will get it in June but the rest of the world (and there is one outside folks) won't get a chance to see it until later this year or next. I just don't see the point.

We have been keenly waiting on the details of Leopard only to be kept in the dark. Perhaps Apple Inc has gone the Adobe way. If this is a sign of things to come (and some of us remember the downfall during the Newton) then Apple Inc might want to start learning how to write music instead.

unregbaron
Jan 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
This really reminds me of when ipods launched. People then were also saying too expensive/where's the need/existing alternatives.

This is another launch like that: I was looking at getting a Nokia E61 over a Blackberry as the email support was better. I was also interested in Three in the UK's X Series as it offers Skype, Yahoo etc. But the iphone blows all that away.

I can't think of a single product with the same significance as the iphone will have. Not just because of what it can do but because it's from Apple. In 2-3 years this will be the phone everyone has like now the ipod is the music player everyone has.

To Steve it really must feel like starting over.

Imagine taking for granted that your friends/contacts/family/customers/clients will be on email/online wherever they are let alone that you will be too.

From every angle this is going to change how businesses are run and how we interact with each other forever.

joepunk
Jan 9, 2007, 03:54 PM
Happy with the outcome. Wished there were more mentions of other things. Not shocked about the prices of said iPhone. Was hoping for a basic phone/music device that could be affordable/usable by the rest of the carriers and not just for those who can spend money like it grows on trees.

I wish that Apple would get an indie band to perform instead of John Mayer or what ever his name is.

How about Wolf Parade, Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene, Sleater-Kinney, Asobi Seksu...etc. Some band with more energy that appeals to the young, the independents.

IMO I don't think John Mayo is all that great of an artist. And that recent photo posted on MR does not do much to change my opinion.

xPismo
Jan 9, 2007, 03:57 PM
I should thank Steve Jobs...Amount to be spent as a result of this keynote - £0

AppleTV - pointless.

Yeah, I dont have component or an HD TV at the moment, I have a better box for wireless than any airportex, and I'd rather have a cheap phone that wont be janked than such a flash phone with only 8gb ipod ability.

I want my widescreen 80gb iPod please.

miniConvert
Jan 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
When AppleTV was announced I felt a sense of excitement - finally Apple's set-top box had arrived and Mac fans wanting to bring the experience into their livingroom could do without feeling too much like what they really need is a Windows Media Centre.

Then when iPhone happened I couldn't quite believe it. I was absolutely stunned, despite all the rumours, and was incredibly worried about what it might look like. Could Apple produce an ugly design? The phone has been designed in so many shapes and sizes that surely they can't come up with something completely unique?

When I actually saw the first pictures I was blown away. Now I'm desperately waiting for the video of the keynote to come out so I can see the handset in action. I can completely understand why Steve dedicated almost the entire keynote to the iPhone because it is definitely Apple's most important product launch to date.

Of course I was disappointed that there was no demonstration of Leopard or announcements about the Mac's, but that's obviously not what this Macworld was meant to be about. Instead I now hope we'll see special events over the coming months to give us all the bits we'd have normally received here. What does worry me, as a new switcher to Mac and somebody who has switched his company over with him, is the name change. Dropping 'computer' from the name suggests that the Macs aren't the core business activity any longer. While the name better reflects the direction Apple is going in anyway, the Mac platform needs all the endorsement it can get and I don't think the old name was causing anybody any bother.

All in all it looks to have been an excellent keynote. The iPhone has obviously taken some incredible engineering and I look forward to all the juicy details becoming public over the next few days, weeks and months.

dwishbone
Jan 9, 2007, 04:04 PM
Poor
Reasons:
iPhone awesome. locking in an exclusive 2 year deal with cingular...horrible.

iTV great but a bit overpriced or underfeatured i think. i really wanted to buy one, but when i figure i can put another $100 or so on it and get a full fledged mini that will do the same things and more...i just don't see it's value.

name change makes sense to me since noone ever called them Apple Computer anymore anyway. it also shows they are more device focused now.

i was hoping for more than 2 products.

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 04:05 PM
I realise that they didn't want to detract from the phone or the t.v. box but they could have made some offline comments about availability of iWork and iLife.

It just seems incomplete.

ortuno2k
Jan 9, 2007, 04:09 PM
I was dissapointed, very dissapointed that there was no word on a new version of iWork, iLife and Leopard.
While the iPhone looks really nice, I could really care-less about one of them. The iTV...err, Apple TV doesn't catch my attention much either.
Overall 4/10 for the products released (I was expecting more), 8/10 for innovation.

vincebio
Jan 9, 2007, 04:17 PM
its not coming out in england until Q4!

only england eh?

not scotland, wales and northern ireland?:rolleyes:

vincebio
Jan 9, 2007, 04:25 PM
yet again this forum is full of poeple moaning about this....what the hell do you want??

im more than sure your going to get another special event when Leopard launches and it will have iWork and iLilfe launched at the same time as it now seems these are integrating more than before....

Why have everything in the one day, when we now get the chance to sit back, take in what we just say and look forward to something else very soon..

get a grip:rolleyes:

maverick808
Jan 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
only england eh?

not scotland, wales and northern ireland?:rolleyes:

Only countries in Great Britain eh? Not Ireland, France, Germany.. the rest of Europe? :rolleyes: ;)

maverick808
Jan 9, 2007, 04:28 PM
im more than sure your going to get another special event when Leopard launches and it will have iWork and iLilfe launched at the same time as it now seems these are integrating more than before....

Why have everything in the one day, when we now get the chance to sit back, take in what we just say and look forward to something else very soon..:

I have to admit this is a good point, we WILL be getting iWork, iLife and Leopard sometime soon, and most likely new hardware around the same time.

lamina
Jan 9, 2007, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=joepunk;3230021

I wish that Apple would get an indie band to perform instead of John Mayer or what ever his name is.

How about Wolf Parade, Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene, Sleater-Kinney, Asobi Seksu...etc. Some band with more energy that appeals to the young, the independents.

IMO I don't think John Mayo is all that great of an artist. And that recent photo posted on MR does not do much to change my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Modest Mouse? Musically, I don't think they deserve that honour.

Cepe Indicum
Jan 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
I'm with both sides on this argument.

Not the best Keynote I've ever seen, but then again, with such an impressive device like the iPhone (and I think most people are agreed on that), it would have been a very long Keynote if Steve had demo'd Leopard features as well. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, and wait for an announcement of another 'special event' in the near future. :) Hope so anyway.

Kind of a bitter-sweet day for me.

timswim78
Jan 9, 2007, 04:59 PM
I answered that the keynote was excellent. Although, I am not interested in owning either product (I don't have a TV, and I abuse cells phone too much to spend $600 on one), I did think that these were fabulously well thought and engineered products. I am sure that they will both have great success.

Steve really shafted us on the computer side though. The mac mini line really needs an upgrade. At $600 and $800 each, they don't hold their value against similarly priced Windows machines.

My fear is that Apple will devote too much resources to other projects and sort of abandon computers, like they abandoned everything else to work on the original Mac. We'll see.

iRachel
Jan 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
I don't really care about the Apple TV - its not something I see myself using at this point.

I like the iPhone, though I think its a tad pricey, but I wouldn't be in the market for one before early next year, anyway. I might consider getting one at that point.

I was disappointed that there was nothing for the Mac! I wanted to see iLife and iWork '07 and more importantly, hear/see some information about Leopard!

johngordon
Jan 9, 2007, 05:22 PM
It was a shame there was no leopard / iLife stuff, and on the one hand it was kinda sad to see the name change.

But on the other isn't this just an example of Apple being innovative, changing with the times, and keeping ahead of the game - skating to where the puck's going, and all that?

Not being innovative, changing with the times, and keeping ahead of the game are all things that I thought people like accusing MS of being? So here are Apple being all those things, and still people aren't happy.

My money's on iLife 07 having a bit of a revamp and greater integration with Leopard. I know some of the Apple consistency in design has been a bit AWOL recently, but I wonder if they've been trying things out, and perhaps with leopard / iLife 07 everything will come together again. My oersonal pref for a UI would be something not dissimilar to Aperture - more pro looking than iLife, but a bit more attractive and inviting than final cut etc.

I also think the macs themselves are all pretty much up to date - so we'll likely see a good spread of stuff through the year - iPhone now, leopard/iLife very soon, and mac revisions appearing very soon after that.

Zwhaler
Jan 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
I agree that we put lots of pressure to release the iPhone on Steve. But I am dissapointed to say the least.

kdawg
Jan 9, 2007, 05:43 PM
The phone totally ROCKS! howerver,

One,
I am A GSM user but do not care for cingular. I was looking forward to this phone, but will not use cingular... so no phone for me. I would also like to take advantage of 3G since it is available in my area.

Second,
What's up with Leopard... I would have like to have seen that and also been promised a release date on it... my G4 was slow when I bought it, but I wanted OS X. It's an awesome OS... I am waiting for leopard to be released before I get my next Mac.

Play Ultimate
Jan 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
I've been reading a number of comments from a variety of sources since the iPhone runs OSX it is a pocket-size Mac. Applications, Widgets etc will all be written for this device which will all be OSX compatible.

Laptops and desktops, iLife etc. will all be announced in good time. However the iPhone is a revolutionary device. So much so that RIMM and Palm both fell today on the stock market. The iPhone, like the original iPod, have established a new standard.

To be disappointed with this Keynote, IMO, is short-sighted.

Samaritan
Jan 9, 2007, 05:59 PM
I've been reading a number of comments from a variety of sources since the iPhone runs OSX it is a pocket-size Mac. Applications, Widgets etc will all be written for this device which will all be OSX compatible.

Laptops and desktops, iLife etc. will all be announced in good time. However the iPhone is a revolutionary device. So much so that RIMM and Palm both fell today on the stock market. The iPhone, like the original iPod, have established a new standard.

To be disappointed with this Keynote, IMO, is short-sighted.

Well, I guess that to be disappointed in:

1. A product that serves iTunes content when there is no movie/tv content in the UK yet, and
2. A product that we will not see over here in the UK for in all reality about a year

is kinda "short" sited.. but do you blame us?

macEfan
Jan 9, 2007, 06:02 PM
It was good, but I really wanted to see leopard anounced... before my mac becomes too old to run it decently :D

ksz
Jan 9, 2007, 06:03 PM
I loved the keynote and am quite excited about the Widescreen WiFi iPod Video (which also happens to be a phone and an internet communicator). Even the price is fine with me. I was expecting it to be more expensive. Since I'm a Cingular customer already and my contract expired 4 months ago, I'm pretty happy with the announcement!

The spotlight was entirely on the iPhone today, and I'm okay with that.

We'll hear about Leopard, iLife, iWork, and Mac updates soon enough, but the real excitement is no longer in annual incremental updates to these products.

If the keynote had featured only these existing products, that would have been horrendously disappointing.

Instead, Apple delivered a great show and they will deliver updates to existing products soon.

But for today the spotlight is on only one thing: iPhone.

Mookamoo
Jan 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm feeling a little unloved at the moment.

Apple Computers are now Apple Inc.??

Phones? TV?

Where is the core support for the loyal computer spuds.

I know Leopard is on its way, but the keynote sounded a bit like Jobs has got himself some new Phoney and TVey friends now and doesn't really think we need some nice shiny new trinkets.

Totally understand the iPhone impact and the fact that its a new benchmark, but I really hope they don't lose sight of the core business, ie ME and and my 'puter

iW00t
Jan 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
There is actually nothing delivered that makes you jump which you just have to order (and own) now.

Everything is shipping in Feb, and the phone out in June. Wow... what's more the phone doesn't even support 3G for close to A$1000. Hello Apple, 2007 is calling.

Samaritan
Jan 9, 2007, 06:20 PM
On reflection, a little.. I wonder if Mr Jobs is being incredibly clever..

Like, I'd put money on Mr Gates et al at Microsoft sitting there going

"What the... iPhone? ok, fair enough. But he didn't mention 10.5.. we trumpeted Vista and he said nothing in response?? And no new hardware? No new apps? Ok, now I'm worried..."

We will never know the strategy behind it, but I suspect in corporate circles there are some worried looks, and probably some massive over analysis sessions happening right about now...

hastyle
Jan 9, 2007, 06:56 PM
Is Macworld just a one day event??? or will they be showing more stuff? I was hoping to hear something about the 8 core mac pro.

Wooster
Jan 9, 2007, 07:08 PM
Nothig significant for the computer users.
No new monitors. No HD screens for MBPs. No new software or announcement.

:(

cyrax83
Jan 9, 2007, 09:21 PM
I really hated this years keynote.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Jobs said at the start of it that it was going to be all about the mac ? What happened.

First he spends about 3/4 of an hour on the apple tv, which I think is an overpriced piece of junk anyway. It has no recording functionality what so ever, and for the price of $450 AU ? Please I could go out and buy a PVR or something that actually does something useful. Also 720p ? Thats beginning to get outdated even now with the introduction of blu-ray and HD-DVD, 720p simply is not good enough.

Secondly he spends the rest of the keynote dedicated to an iPhone which isn't even available for another 6 months and another 12 months for the rest of the world. 6-12 Months ? Are you kidding me, I nearly choked. Shipping with a 2 megapixel camera and 4/8gb variants at a pretty high price, how will this technology fair in 6-12 months (which is a huge time in technology's perspective). A 2megapixel camera is already outdated with 3 mp becoming the standard and even nokias 5mp phone with GPS coming out very soon.

What happened to leopard, or updates on the mac portable line ? Heres what happened, they ditched the computer from their name and now want to focus on **** overpriced gadgets. Yes the iPhone did look pretty nice, but for what it is/price/time of release, its lame.

They seemed to have packed all these awesome features into the phone such as a great browser and google maps, and even widgets, but I just said to myself, whats the point ? Data charges here in Australia are INSANELY HIGH, how often would you use it ? Once in a blue moon - or never.

They've called it a smart phone but what about the applications a smart phone really needs - such as a word processor or a spreadsheet. I for one will not be buying it as I already have a dedicated mp3 player and a phone, which I prefer as the mp3 player battery life doesnt affect my phone battery life.

elbirth
Jan 9, 2007, 11:21 PM
Is Macworld just a one day event??? or will they be showing more stuff? I was hoping to hear something about the 8 core mac pro.
Macworld lasts just about all week with the expo. It's for 3rd party companies to show off their new products and deals and the like, but Apple won't be announcing anything new unless they decide to be different this year. I'm really disappointed about no 8core Mac Pro yet as well.

I really hated this years keynote.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Jobs said at the start of it that it was going to be all about the mac ? What happened.
I thought the same thing until I watched the streaming keynote video. MacRumors really ruined my day by misquoting Steve. I was super hyped all morning about hearing a lot about the Mac, but Steve actually said (and I'm partially paraphrasing):

"2007 is gonna be a great year for the mac, but that's all we're gonna say about it today. over the next several months we're gonna be rolling out some awesome new stuff for the mac... but for today we're gonna move on"

Had MacRumors taken the time to get that one tiny bit of information right in their live text feed, I wouldn't have been nearly as upset about the whole thing as I was. They built my hopes up very high with that remark and it really ticked me off.

faroukabad
Jan 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
"meh" is the word that comes to mind.

fivetoadsloth
Jan 9, 2007, 11:42 PM
I was very impressed, though i wish theyd have something "shipping now". the iphone loks amazing but to pricey for me.

buswheel
Jan 10, 2007, 12:16 AM
"meh" is the word that comes to mind.

I Agree

It's not like the iPhone wasn't expected, and for those outside the US it's all a bit too far away anyway to worry about.

Personally I was hoping for announcements in regards to leopard, iLife/iWork and future macbook options (Such as the 12" macbook pro... I have drooled over 12" powermacs and the like since i used my brothers in 2002)

Maybe with this quote ...over the next several months we're gonna be rolling out some awesome new stuff for the mac... I may not have to wait too long

aljawad
Jan 10, 2007, 01:20 AM
OK, so Steve is making good on his promise of "Apple everywhere", hence the "Apple, Inc." conversion. But seriously, those of us outside the USA will not see the iPhone until late ’07 (we follow the European market rather than the Asian), and while we’ll get the units unlocked (so we need not worry about plans and cellular providers) that’s still almost a year away. :rolleyes:

While I’ll be ordering the Apple TV and the new AP Extreme, the keynote left too many questions unanswered: Where are the Leopard previews? I doubt Apple will announce a special event just for its operating system and applications, so are we to wait until WWDC to get another look at the next OS?:confused: Is Apple abandoning its policy of a yearly upgrade to iLife? And what about the hardware (2ed generation Mac Pros / new portables … etc)? Where are the expansions to international iTunes stores and iDisk?

Apple, Inc. is hardly a day old and already I don’t like the way the company chose to announce new products :(

nioh
Jan 10, 2007, 02:23 AM
I would rather have seen a special event for the iPhone and let MWSF be what it "usually" is. Not that I was disappointed about the new stuff but the lack of news about Leopard and other computer related stuff made it a so-so event. Sigh.

Dalriada
Jan 10, 2007, 03:37 AM
A great keynote introducing a revolutionary new design and interface which for me was far more exciting than the iPhone itself. I can already see the next iPod generation taking a similair design and interface but without the phone and price tag. So kudos to Apple... they did it again.

- Dal

phungy
Jan 10, 2007, 03:39 AM
I enjoyed the iPhone speech until Steve invited the others to speak...thats when I closed Quicktime.

hidea
Jan 10, 2007, 03:51 AM
someone FIND A 'SPEECH' TUTOR for the Cingular guy!
Aside from that, I'm kinda dissapointed there's no mentioning of any software updates, or mac updates.

Aside from that, it was pretty awesome.

Gotta love John Mayer's performance ;)

rt_brained
Jan 10, 2007, 04:28 AM
Cingular AT&T biggest network Cingular best AT&T network biggest AT&T Cingular fewer dropped Cingular AT&T best Cingular biggest AT&T Cingular greatest Cingular big greatest AT&T network...

Christ, talk about disconnect. Raising the bar, huh? "Yessir, here are your regular talking points. Cards 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are all the same. The man on stage is Steve Jobs. You met about two years ago about a new phone...he's vendor now. Good luck, sir."

rt_brained
Jan 10, 2007, 04:43 AM
Hoping for a "One more thing..." media event in the next couple weeks to talk about the rest of the stuff Jobs ran out of time for.

elbirth
Jan 10, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hoping for a "One more thing..." media event in the next couple weeks to talk about the rest of the stuff Jobs ran out of time for.

Same here.. I really hope this happens sometime; however, I wish that it had been turned around and the Macworld keynote focused on everything else and the special event was "oh yeah, here's this awesome new phone that this event is dedicated to"
Making their computer-side come across as a second thought to the consumer electronics now is kind of disconcerting.

Compile 'em all
Jan 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
I mean, from where the hell I am I supposed to buy an iSight now. I was dead sure they will release a new iSight at this Macworld but nothing happened.

njmac
Jan 10, 2007, 10:05 AM
I loved the keynote. Steve's excitement was palpable - he really believes this is the next big thing. Let's give him a little credit here.

I would be willing to bet the next month will be announcement after announcement of upgrades and updates.

Apple is getting stronger and stronger as a company and that is good for the mac and us.

Much Ado
Jan 10, 2007, 10:42 AM
Bah Humbug to all the unbelievers!

Apple know Vista's been coming for years, so they'll have Leopard ready. They've been working on the iPhone since before Tiger, so it's not like their R+D is suddenly going to drop in Mac development.

All of this 'what about the Mac' stuff is a little harsh. If Steve's got an Octo-Core Mac Pro coming in a few weeks, then he's not going to say so now.

Also, if Leopard isn't ready yet, and will be out in a few months, then not mentioning it is an awesome mind game. Bill gates was propbrably watching going "Uh...but- Vista and, err... what?"

Just have faith.

If nothing's changed in three months then quote me and pelt me with rotten fruit.

MA.

wattso
Jan 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
Does anybody know the name of the song from the new ipod advert that was shown? Thanks

elbirth
Jan 10, 2007, 11:38 AM
All of this 'what about the Mac' stuff is a little harsh. If Steve's got an Octo-Core Mac Pro coming in a few weeks, then he's not going to say so now.

While I see your point on that, Dell is already offering computer configs that have dual quad core chips. Granted, they say they're not shipping for a while, but people can go there and know they've got an octo core coming, where with Apple we're still having to guess- will it happen, what kind of specs can we expect, and most importantly, how much?

Jht
Jan 10, 2007, 12:12 PM
Only switched to mac since xmas, so I didn't really know what to expect from macworld, but I'm not best excited from what I've seen. I was hoping for mac upgrades, and was most looking forward to leopard. The itv thing is a neat idea, I just can't see it appealing to the general public though, what with everything you have to have for it etc. And the iPhone WTF? Don't get me wrong it looks GREAT, really exciting, everything about it seems right, but the price? It's a phone for christ sake, and its not going to be out in the uk until the back end of 07 :mad: . But seriously 499 in the US, thats like £350? in the UK, I've just bought myself a new phone for £100 and thats nearing the tops I'd pay for a phone, which in essence is all it is. A £350 iphone or k800i (3mp) for £180, I'll have the k800i please, its ridiculous the price of this thing, because which ever way you look at it, £350ish/$499 for a phone is too much and apple will seriously be limiting the user base with a price like that, compared to other phones, the majority of the general puiblic won't want to lash out that much for a phone, its just a joke... All IMO obviously

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2007, 12:25 PM
I actually voted poor.

Not because I disliked either the iPhone, which I'm definitively am going to get, or the Apple TV, which I might get, but because of the things not mentioned:

- The new AirPort Extreme really exites me and should have been mentioned

- I was hoping for more Leopard info, and - maybe too far fetched, but still - a release date

bbydon
Jan 10, 2007, 12:35 PM
Best one in years...too bad they didnt release ilife though

Wild-Bill
Jan 10, 2007, 02:41 PM
Best one in years...too bad they didnt release ilife though

I, too, was expecting iLife 07. I've got two gift cards just waiting to plunk down toward the purchase of a new Mac Pro. Besides iLife, I was hoping for a Mac Pro refresh, including a better graphics card, and the dual quad-core option, so the prices of the other processors would fall.

Detlev
Jan 10, 2007, 03:13 PM
OK, I've been thinking about this event now for a day. I noticed two what I would consider Steve faux pas. The first being Mr. Jobs brought up the one thing I have been hoping and begging for since the beginning of iTunes and the iTunes store: the Beetles. Why on earth other than "Hey, I like them" would he bring up an artist, in this case a group, that is not even available in the store? Was it a test? Was he hoping to hear a reaction from the audience that would push Sir Paul over the edge and join the throngs of iTunes lovers? Give me a break! The fourth largest music retailer should be able to pull in any band. Fact is, those of us who love them are getting older and the new generation thinks they are six legged arthropods.

Along the same lines was the Paramount introduction. Vague to say the least. Now, in the background were titles like the Italian Job (both of them), Paycheck, and K-19. They are not to be seen on the store. Sure, Thursdays seem to be the day of updates for the movies but Steve said they were updating right as he was giving the keynote. Another slip?

Rating: 7/10

Xeem
Jan 10, 2007, 04:09 PM
I also thought it was a great Keynote, but Steve could have at least mentioned the new Airport Extreme stations and talked a little more about Macs.

Anuba
Jan 10, 2007, 04:12 PM
So whats your opinion, personally i think it was to focused on the iphone...

I hate these keynotes with a passion and always wish someone would napalm all the smug brainwashed idiots in the audience constantly applauding Steve "Hitler" Jobs like he was deity... ooh look a button, this calls for a standing ovation... creepy freaks. But enough about me.

I thought it was pretty underwhelming. Even though the iPhone appears to be a very cool and well designed gadget, the battery solution blows (short life + non-swappable) and 4/8 GB is a joke. Initially it seemed everyone was drooling all over the screens, but after the excitement had settled down I guess it wasn't so hot after all. For some reason it gave me flashbacks to that Keynote where he showed that god awful Motorola ROKR phone with built-in iTunes, with all these old geezer CEOs from various third parties making awkward fish-out-of-water appearances and stuttering their way through written notes... but yeah, I guess people who were looking forward to Leopard would feel kind of miffed. Myself I don't get very excited over point releases, call me when they have OS11 ready.

Gavroche62
Jan 10, 2007, 05:26 PM
Disappointed. Great for Wall Street and Steve's stock, but who's minding the computer side of the house? I think dropping the "Computer" from its name was the single most significant news of the show. What's next a new gaming console?

iPhone - revolutionary in that it raises the bar VERY high for other manufacturers...But it still smells like first generation to me. Behind the arguably flawless design, usability and performance issues are already being raised. Kudos to Steve and his enormously talented staff, but I'll pass on early adoption. But slick..oh so slick..No one is as good as SJ for coordinating such a project. Now let's see how it sells.

appleTV - mediocre offering at best. 40Gb is way too small to host any HD material. It just begs for an upgrade. Why should it be paired to a computer if it has a wireless connection to the internet? My Xbox360 already can and play HD games to boot!

- no news about MacPro (where's the eight core!)
- no news about laptops
- no update to iPod in the near future (iPhone notwithstanding of course, but what if I don't want or need the phone part?)
- Cingular exclusive deal has already alienated non-Cingular customers
- no new displays (HDCP compatibility)
- no "...and one more thing"

A significant watershed show nonetheless. I can understand the need to focus on the iPhone : there's so much to say about it and it would have surely stolen anything else's thunder. I'm just afraid the gadgets are taking over an AWESOME COMPUTER company and leaving all of us behind. Half the Genius bar at my local Apple store was replaced by an iPod Nano express line...hmm...I hope Apple knows what they're doing this time - remember the Newton!

bbergie
Jan 10, 2007, 05:30 PM
The keynote was certainly not void of worthy content, and Jobs was masterful in his delivery. But I was surprised at what the keynote presentation lacked:

No OS X 10.5 demo
Apple's new operating system––10.5 (Leopard) is due for release this spring. At the WWDC keynote last spring, Jobs et. al revealed and demoed some of the new features of the new OS, and simultaneously, Jobs indicated that there are plenty of other "top secret" features to reveal at a future time. I remain mystified why the new OS was not even mentioned in any capacity during yesterday's keynote.

No Mac Updates
The keynote failed to provide any updates on Mac products––no hardware or software updates. I was expecting the presentation to reveal updates on iLife '07 and iWork '07, and I would have expected that the new features of both software suites be demoed. Instead, nothing.

I was surprised as well by the absence of an announcement to indicate when the international iTunes stores will begin selling TV shows and movies––services the US store has been featuring for––I think––upwards of a year.

Apple did quietly introduce yesterday an airport extreme base station, which was not referenced in the keynote at all. This is peculiar because this product is one that I'm most excited about––and one that I'm most likely to buy in the coming months. It is a wireless network router that supports 802.11 a, b, g, and the emerging n standard. It has double the range of the Airport Express, and the Airport Extreme is up to five times faster. It is particularly appealing because in addition to allowing users of a network to share one or more USB printers, the product can also allow members of a network to share one or more external hard disks. The latter feature, however, is compromised by Apple's choice to support it through USB, rather than the quicker option of Firewire. But, all things considered, this is a great product.

No iPod announcements
In fairness, Apple considers its new iPhone to be its best iPod––but with its mix of other core services, it doesn't fit well into the iPod family: iPod video, iPod Nano, and iPod Shuffle. Those latter models were hardly mentioned in the keynote, and certainly no updates or price changes were discussed during the presentation.

I don't doubt Apple's commitment to the Mac, even though the company legally changed its name from Apple Computer, Inc to Apple Inc, which reflects its broad product line beyond computers. But, I was not prepared for a major Apple event to exclude its Mac division altogether, particularly at a time when a major new release of the foundation of Apple's software––OS X––is imminent.

My disappointment in yesterday's keynote is compounded by two more points:

1. The main index page of Apple Canada is unchanged from the period before the keynote. I cannot recall a previous occasion when a major Apple event did not immediately force comprehensive changes the index page to showcase the company's newly announced products. This illustrates just how void the presentation was of new product announcements that meet the important proviso of immediate availability, which speaks to my second point.

2. In the immediate aftermath of the keynote, nothing new is shipping from Apple. The Apple TV will start shipping in February, and so will the new Airport Extreme. The iPhone, however, will only start shipping in June––US only. Europe and Asia will come on board in the fourth quarter of 2007 and sometime in 2008 respectively. It’s not clear when the Canadian Apple Store––or other retailers will begin selling the product.

Anuba
Jan 10, 2007, 06:27 PM
iPhone - revolutionary in that it raises the bar VERY high for other manufacturers...But it still smells like first generation to me. Behind the arguably flawless design, usability and performance issues are already being raised. Kudos to Steve and his enormously talented staff, but I'll pass on early adoption. But slick..oh so slick..No one is as good as SJ for coordinating such a project. Now let's see how it sells.
It does raise the bar for other manufacturers, but this isn't the portable media player market. In business you either have to be the first, or the cheapest (neither applies to iPhone), simply being the best doesn't cut it. Apple and its devotees have argued for ages that MacOS is so superior to Windows it's ridiculous, but they've never managed to even put a dent in Microsoft's market share.

With the iPod Apple was able to hog 60% of the market before the competition even woke up, but here they're up against Nokia, SonyEricsson, Motorola, Siemens, Blackberry, Palm/Treo, HP and a bunch of other giants with well established distribution channels and deals with every carrier on earth. I hope for Apple's sake they've patented the crap out of this thing because the first SonyEricsson iPhone killer is probably being designed as we speak.

BTW, was there any mention of games on this thing? Without games, kids aren't touching the iPhone with a ten foot pole, and aging businessmen who always groan over buttons being too small may not be into the idea of *no* buttons.

DakotaGuy
Jan 10, 2007, 06:36 PM
This has to be the worst MacWorld in my recollection. I was super excited to see a Leopard demo, and to order iLife '07 and iWork '07. Especially iWork, which I use all the time.

The name change scares me. The iPhone is useless to me since it is super expensive, and Cingular won't touch South Dakota with a 200 mile pole.

And the Apple tv? Please. If it had DVR capability, I'd be on board. But, everything has to go through iTunes.

My only highlight of the day wasn't even in the keynote, and that's the new AirPort Extreme Base Station. I'll probably get one of those sometime this Spring when I get married. Oh well.

This was a sad day that I got way too excited for. I fear the Mac is getting replaced by Steve's stupid little toy called iPhone.

I agree with you. As a person that lives just a few miles north of you (20 or so) the fact that the iPhone is Cingular makes it worthless for me as well. In fact, anything but Verizon or Alltel is worthless in most midwestern and western rural areas. I guess however you have to cater to where the most customers are so I can't fault Apple for that. I am just glad that companies like Verizon and Alltel haven't forgotten about us in the rural areas like other companies have.

For me the Keynote was pretty boring. The Apple TV is cool enough, but hardly a "must have" item. I would have loved to see some iPod updates (without the phone) or some software updates. Oh well, maybe later this spring we will see something along these lines.

Gavroche62
Jan 11, 2007, 01:37 AM
It does raise the bar for other manufacturers, but this isn't the portable media player market. In business you either have to be the first, or the cheapest (neither applies to iPhone), simply being the best doesn't cut it. Apple and its devotees have argued for ages that MacOS is so superior to Windows it's ridiculous, but they've never managed to even put a dent in Microsoft's market share.

With the iPod Apple was able to hog 60% of the market before the competition even woke up, but here they're up against Nokia, SonyEricsson, Motorola, Siemens, Blackberry, Palm/Treo, HP and a bunch of other giants with well established distribution channels and deals with every carrier on earth. I hope for Apple's sake they've patented the crap out of this thing because the first SonyEricsson iPhone killer is probably being designed as we speak.

You're right this isn't the portable media market - those devices are primitive compared to what's being offered here and yet the heavy weights were NEVER able to even dent THAT market. You would think the likes of SONY, HP MOTOROLA, M$SOFT and all the other consumer electronics giants, with all of their resources, could come up with something smart enough to compete with the iPod over the years, right? Wrong! The iPod was revolutionary in its design and usability (and not the first portable media device by the way). Paired with the best online music store experience distanced it even further from the rest. That's what revolutionary means: a new playing field - a new system - a new product. Apple does this better than anyone in the world. I'm not sure the competition is just Nokia, SonyEricsson, and Motorola any more. Listen closely, Apple is attempting to reinvent the mobile phone by marrying what we traditionally associate with a smartphone (smartERphone actually) under a totally new "human friendly" and intuitive package. Those things tend to have mass appeal.

If it ends up just being yet another slick mobile smartphone then yes, the competition will be a bear. On the other hand, if the mobile connectivity paradigm is changing as Apple wants it to, then its an (almost) level playing field again. Some may even argue that Apple has another head start on some of those technologies (mobile OS X for one - the best desktop OS now the best mobile OS)

In the end, we all win. Competition is great. So lets just sit back, watch the race and hope the world doesn't meltdown before we can play with all of these toys.

ericschmerick
Jan 11, 2007, 03:21 AM
I thought it was an amazing keynote, because I truly believe the iphone will in-fact be revolutionary! Look at the UIs on almost all of today's phones and they pretty much universally stink. This is going to cause the cell phone industry to take a long hard look at their own products and push harder.

I think it's funny that many posts on these boards talk about the excellent value for the Mac Pro (decked out, costing > $4k!), but balk at a $600 phone. This after they've probably dropped $100 on thier existing phone, and $300 on their ipod. For an extra $200, wouldn't you like to have the sexiest phone on the planet. Furthermore, if you're me, your sick to death of carrying two damn devices around every day anyway.

The other thing that amazes me is just how addicted we've become to the carrier-driven cell phone business model in the US. I live in China now, and I cannot tell you how many employees I have who make < $1k / month (and these are highly paid engineers here) that carry $500 cell phones. People in many other parts of the world are USED to buying cell phones for the "real" price - very very often $300 or $400 dollars.

And for that, what do you get - a MAJOR shift in the balance of power between mfg's and carriers. The carriers are now begging and scratching for business. Consequently it is one of the LEAST complicated things you can do (in China) - get a cell phone. In 90 seconds, I can (anonymously) get a new number and a few hours of calling time for about $20. There is almost not a store I can walk into where it isn't possible to do this. Shove in the SIM card and I'm done.

Jesus I wish the US was like that (wrt cell phone service). The hoops you have to jump through to get even pre-paid service in the US are truly ridiculous. If there is a major disappointment for me about this keynote, it's that it looks like the iphone will be carrier locked at least until '08, but we'll see. I was hoping Apple would sell the phones unlocked, and start the migration in the US away from carrier subsidies.

Gavroche62
Jan 11, 2007, 08:21 AM
Jesus I wish the US was like that (wrt cell phone service). The hoops you have to jump through to get even pre-paid service in the US are truly ridiculous. If there is a major disappointment for me about this keynote, it's that it looks like the iphone will be carrier locked at least until '08, but we'll see. I was hoping Apple would sell the phones unlocked, and start the migration in the US away from carrier subsidies.

Yes the Carrier issue IS quite possibly the hair in the ointment. Apple's proven they can build the best devices hands down. These exclusive carrier deals stand a much better chance at killing this than competition from any other device manufacturer. Cingular, Verizon, Sprint etc...they're all the same with equally poor service. The FCC loves to support little monopolies and we the users are forced into a market with poor selection of both devices and carriers. Let's hope this prompts another revolution in the carrier landscape.
What was the quote at the beginning of the conference: if you want to build the best software build your own hardware? Well in this case Apple may have to build (buy?) their own network with no contracts and flexible pay as you go deals to make this work. Otherwise the industry may just sink this entire project - like the entertainment industry tried to do with movies and music on the iPod.

chicagdan
Jan 11, 2007, 08:32 AM
I think it's funny that many posts on these boards talk about the excellent value for the Mac Pro (decked out, costing > $4k!), but balk at a $600 phone. This after they've probably dropped $100 on thier existing phone, and $300 on their ipod. For an extra $200, wouldn't you like to have the sexiest phone on the planet.

Well, quite frankly, no. Not when the iPhone tops out at 8 gigs of memory and my current iPod holds 60 gigs and knowing that movies take up more than a gig of memory (why on earth create a device to watch movies that can't hold them?) And considering that all I use a phone for is to make and answer calls ... my RAZR plus iPod is actually a more convenient combination right now.

I say right now because I have zero doubt that Apple will -- 2 or 3 generations down the line -- turn this device into something I have to have. They will increase the flash memory ... they will add features. The killer ap down the line will be speech to text translation, making it possible to avoid the keyboard for everything but light editing. That will change everything and I'm sure Apple's working on it.

But given that reselling an iPhone will be difficult if not impossible, it's almost certainly best to wait and see if prices drop, features improve, battery life gets better, etc. I see no need to be the canary in the coal mine this time. Summer 2008 looks like a much better time to buy version 2.

yagran
Jan 11, 2007, 10:04 AM
thanks for all te replies to my thread! ive sent the polls results to apple in email with a line underneath saying, "here you go steve, heres sme statistics for your next keynote". He loves making pretty grahs, like to see how explains this one.

djejrejk
Jan 11, 2007, 10:13 AM
I should thank Steve Jobs for a Keynote that saved me money and didn't have me lusting after something. Amount to be spent as a result of this keynote - £0

AppleTV - pointless.

The airport base station is priced competitively with other n routers.. check out linksys new N router.

Jobs didnt have much of a choice about the iPhone. Its what some many people in the media wanted so he had to deliver or Apple stock might have suffered. I dont agree with it but I dont blame him. I was looking for a MacBook Pro update but I'm not worried :D

njmac
Jan 11, 2007, 01:33 PM
thanks for all te replies to my thread! ive sent the polls results to apple in email with a line underneath saying, "here you go steve, heres sme statistics for your next keynote". He loves making pretty grahs, like to see how explains this one.

Give me a break :rolleyes:

Jan 11, 2007, 02:27 PM
I don't understand the people that say they are extremely dissapointed with no Leopard or Mac mention. Or the people that say that they fear Apple is forgeting the Mac.

Come on, just 7 months ago they realesed Intel MaBook Pro's, then the Macbook (that is selling like crazy), and all the other Intel Macs. They announce Leopard, they give some pretty good demo's about it. So, what do you expect? All this takes time.

And about giving more attention to other products, just accept it, Mac's have been getting more popular, but they are reaching a limit. A limit that even if you don't like, there it is. And the limit is Windows presence. If Apple wants to break this limit they have to start making their prducts (all of them) more popular.

The iPod makes a lot of PC user swith to a Mac (I include myself here). The iPhone is the same (would be, I hope), Apple TV is the same as the iPhone, these are products that tempt PC users to switch.

Roco,:)

PeggyD
Jan 11, 2007, 02:49 PM
I thought the same thing until I watched the streaming keynote video. MacRumors really ruined my day by misquoting Steve. I was super hyped all morning about hearing a lot about the Mac, but Steve actually said (and I'm partially paraphrasing):

"2007 is gonna be a great year for the mac, but that's all we're gonna say about it today. over the next several months we're gonna be rolling out some awesome new stuff for the mac... but for today we're gonna move on"

Had MacRumors taken the time to get that one tiny bit of information right in their live text feed, I wouldn't have been nearly as upset about the whole thing as I was. They built my hopes up very high with that remark and it really ticked me off.

I, too, kept waiting for him to move on to software or something Mac-related. That error in the text feed made my disappointment even worse.

Anuba
Jan 12, 2007, 07:13 AM
You're right this isn't the portable media market - those devices are primitive compared to what's being offered here and yet the heavy weights were NEVER able to even dent THAT market. You would think the likes of SONY, HP MOTOROLA, M$SOFT and all the other consumer electronics giants, with all of their resources, could come up with something smart enough to compete with the iPod over the years, right?
We pretty much knew Sony would fail, they're the ultimate balldroppers. They refused mp3 for as long as humanly possible, instead trying to peddle advanced MiniDisc players with USB2, years into the iPod era. Sort of a repeat of the Betamax vs VHS war back in the 80s. When they eventually caved, they introduced some butt ugly, purple, blobby mp3 players nobody wanted. Now with PS3 they're even losing a market they completely dominated, they're getting pummeled by Xbox 360 and the technologically inferior Nintendo Wii. I bet they'll somehow manage to drop the ball with Blu-Ray, too. I never understood Sony, never will.

M$ entered the game way too late with Zune, and with this DRM quirk the Zune is doomed. It's not even out in Europe yet. With iPod, Apple has always made sure that anyone in the world can have it in their hand a few days after the Keynote. The only thing the competition can hope for is that the iPod one day grows stale in the public eye. When everyone has one, nodoby's special.

The iPod was revolutionary in its design and usability (and not the first portable media device by the way). Paired with the best online music store experience distanced it even further from the rest. That's what revolutionary means: a new playing field - a new system - a new product. Apple does this better than anyone in the world. I'm not sure the competition is just Nokia, SonyEricsson, and Motorola any more. Listen closely, Apple is attempting to reinvent the mobile phone by marrying what we traditionally associate with a smartphone (smartERphone actually) under a totally new "human friendly" and intuitive package. Those things tend to have mass appeal.

Yeah, but as you say they rolled out a complete solution with the iPod+iTunes+iTunes Store package. This may well be what separates iPod from Newton, NeXT and the Cube. With iPhone there are many loose ends. Apart from the Cingular exclusive being a dealbreaker for many, plus the fact that unlike the iPod it will only be available in the US for quite some time (here in Europe it's been a long, long time since we last saw a business class phone that doesn't support 3G), how is it going to attract corporate customers? Allegedly it won't even accept 3rd party software, yet businessmen will want to sync it up with MS Exchange/Outlook or Lotus Notes, and they'll probably want to snap in their TomTom or Wayfinder GPS module too. As of now, the gateway for all things iPhone is iTunes, and they're kidding themselves if they think corporate customers will trust a damn music jukebox with their mail, calendar and contacts. And if kids can't cram it chock full of Java games they won't want it either. So the market position really isn't anything like they have with the iPod. Market share is everything. Look at the Palm - say what you will about M$ but PDAs with their mobile OS were superior to Palm in so many ways it's insane, but noooooo, people just had to stay with the Palm, just like they'll stick to their Treo even when iPhone can cook breakfast for them.

Here's an interesting article in NY Times about some of the potential pitfalls for the iPhone: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/technology/11cnd-apple.html

Anyway, I agree, it's a win/win situation for consumers. At worst, iPhone itself will flop, at best, it will be a hit, but either way it will motivate the competition to beef up their technology. They might wanna start with the OS and the interface - Symbian OS looks like crap. Maybe M$ will Vista-fy theirs.

cecildk9999
Jan 12, 2007, 08:46 AM
I always enjoy watching the keynotes; Steve is an engaging speaker, and did a great demo for the new iPhone. I was waffling between the 'good' and 'missing something' choice on the poll, since I really wanted to find out more about stuff I could actually buy (Airport Express, iWork, etc.), but they Keynote was good for what it concentrated on. Ultimately, it just needs to be an exercise in patience, as I have good feelings about what 2007 will ultimately bring. And since I'm locked in to another year of T-Mobile, I won't even start to consider an iPhone until 08 (although that won't stop me from going in to play with one sometime this summer! :D ).