Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
CNet reports on a deal between Intel and Real Networks, integrating Real technology into Intel motherboards:

RealOne, the successor to the popular RealPlayer and RealJukebox, will be released in its final version this week and will be bundled with motherboards that Intel sells for use in so-called white box, or generic, PCs, the companies said.

Details are limited, but it raises a lot of questions regarding utility... while this does seem like a boost for Real technology... in the end, won't software updates/advances make the hardware obsolete? And, with faster and faster processors, do they need to offload such things to specialized hardware?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I hope this happens. Real is about the lousiest there is! They'll be painting themselves into a corner. Crap deserves crap.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Um, I think they mean Intel will bundle RealOne with their motherboards on a CD, so that people get it with their computer instead of having to download it. How is this a Mac rumor? Am I on the right site? :)

In other news, AOL has announced that they will be bundling their service with 1000 hours FREE with all Diamond modems sold!

Alex

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Yeah, after reading the article, I'm sure they mean they'll be delivering the software with the motherboards and not on the motherboards. Which is good because my reaction to the latter was, "why in the name of God would anyone do anything that completely bleeding stupid?"

Of course, I don't even want "RealOne" bundled with my motherboard. I don't want it sitting in my house on a CD. I don't like living in a universe where software like "RealOne" exists, but I don't have a lot of choice here. I installed the thing once, to play some specific content, and like needles from last year's live Christmas tree, I'm STILL picking bits of it out of my Wintel system almost daily. RealOne is a nightmare. I have never before felt like I was being personally abused by software.

And trust me, having worked for a company with similar mentality in the past, this is COMPLETELY intentional. Companies like this fall on tough financial times and start trying to come up with ways to FORCE people to use their product in as many cases as possible, whether they want to or not. RealOne is the software equivalent of chained popup/under ads on the web which just won't leave you the hell alone.

On the upside, the fact that it's getting worse, and that Real truly seems to not care in the least whether they infuriate end users anymore, suggests that we won't have to worry about Real at all for much longer. The sooner they dry up and blow away, the better.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by Gelfin
Of course, I don't even want "RealOne" bundled with my motherboard. I don't want it sitting in my house on a CD. I don't like living in a universe where software like "RealOne" exists, but I don't have a lot of choice here. I installed the thing once, to play some specific content, and like needles from last year's live Christmas tree, I'm STILL picking bits of it out of my Wintel system almost daily. RealOne is a nightmare. I have never before felt like I was being personally abused by software.

I agree that RealOne sucks, but I'm not sure its demise would make the world all that much better. What we need are open alternatives to technologies like RealOne, Windows Media Player, Sorenson-encoded Quicktime, etc. If all our "content delivery" systems are closed, it just gives vendors a license to pull the same crap that Real (and others) are pulling now. RealOne dying would only give WMP even more market share, and thus more power to screw us, than it already has.

The bright side: Free coasters with all Intel motherboards from now on.

Alex

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by alex_ant
Um, I think they mean Intel will bundle RealOne with their motherboards on a CD, so that people get it with their computer instead of having to download it. How is this a Mac rumor? Am I on the right site? :)

Hmm.... seems odd, since Intel supplies motherboards to vendors... I doubt them providing a CD would neccessarily make it to the retail box. I think they're implying that it's on the motherboard...

As for relevance... let me quote from a previous news story:

Before anyone starts posting that this isn't a Mac/Apple story...

I'll just preempt it before it starts... information on the industry as a whole is relevant in that it relates to Apple's future. While every non-Apple rumor may not be relevant, an occasional key one on the rest of the industry provides for well rounded 'apple-rumor-follower'

arn

nerveosu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2001
Real needs to do something.. they suck

real needs to do something because web developers don't want to use their stuff. (server pricing and image quality). The only way i would use it is if by some means they still have alot of players out there in the next couple of years.

again, real media sucks.

- bill

3G4N

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
3rd star to the right
CD distribution...

>Hmm.... seems odd, since Intel supplies motherboards to vendors...
>I doubt them providing a CD would neccessarily make it to the retail box.

If they signed a deal with Intel, it would have to be included
in the retail box. That's what a "deal" is, a bunch of legal
mumbojumbo promising that they will be bundled together.
OEMs would have to include the CD with the mobo.

>I think they're implying that it's on the motherboard...

Wrong... Please tell me what other SOFTWARE is bundled
ONTO hardware, as you (not the article) are implying.

When they bundle Windows with Intel harware,
is it included ON the mobo? NO! You get a Windows CD.

Intel doesn't have an OS to bundle software with, so they bundle the
software with the mobo. Have you ever bought a mobo before?
They come bundled with all sorts of worthless CDs. Now they are
adding REAL to that collection of crappy bundled CDs.

If REALONE was included ON the motherboard, don't you think they
would say that, or discuss some of the technical details?? Where
would they put it? On a ROM chip? How would you access it to install
it on your OS? No average user would be able to get to it to install it.

The article says that Real is looking for distribution models other
than internet downloading. CD distribution would be FAR easier than
trying to put it on a motherboard...

Come on! Put the bong down,
read the article again, and come to reality!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: CD distribution...

Originally posted by 3G4N

If REALONE was included ON the motherboard, don't you think they
would say that, or discuss some of the technical details?? Where
would they put it? On a ROM chip? How would you access it to install
it on your OS? No average user would be able to get to it to install it.

The Intel deal is a continuation of a similar partnership that put RealNetworks' software on Intel products. Intel is also supporting RealNetworks' technology in its chips for mobile products like cell phones and handheld computers.

eh... you may be right....

arn

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Intel does ship CDs of various software to be included with their OEM products. The company I mentioned earlier (the one with a similar business philosophy to Real's) was negotiating a similar OEM deal with Intel before they went belly-up.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
There isn't anything wrong with Sorenson-encoded Quicktime.. It's one of the few mass-marketed content delivery systems which don't require invasions like user-data and marketing scam practices. What isn't "open" about Quicktime when anyone can release a plug-in for a new codec if so talented? Apple is one of the few companies which is trying to push industry standards without screwing end users.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Hey, what about...

What about the fact that this is pushing Microsoft a little further away.

Anything to "crush, kill, destroy" Microsoft, no matter how small, is a GREAT thing for Apple and other competitors... isn't it?

I say Go RealOne and Go Intel... follow the rest of the lemmings.... ahhhhhhhhhh!!!

HA HA HA!!

Apple rules!

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by Xapplimatic
There isn't anything wrong with Sorenson-encoded Quicktime.. It's one of the few mass-marketed content delivery systems which don't require invasions like user-data and marketing scam practices. What isn't "open" about Quicktime when anyone can release a plug-in for a new codec if so talented? Apple is one of the few companies which is trying to push industry standards without screwing end users.
Quicktime itself is great. It's open; however, its plugins do not have to be, the Sorenson Vision codec is not. It can only be played on platforms which Sorenson supports (currently Windows and Mac exclusively). This means Linux and other alternative OS users are screwed. Even Windows Media can be played in Linux, just not with Microsoft-supported software.

Alex

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Who cares...

Originally posted by Mac_User
Windows;real;intel. I dont care. Give me some new about Apple!:D

Has anyone else noticed how little news there's been lately?
The calm before the storm...?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
it seems everyone's being a little bit more cautious this time round, unlike in the run-up to the last mac world!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.