YEA!! go figure... :confused:

iProd
Jan 9, 2007, 02:24 PM
Unbelievably disappointing :(

triple1k
Jan 9, 2007, 02:41 PM
I love Macs, but....

Steve Jobs = George Lucas

This feels just like when I went to see Revenge of the Sith and hoped to see Darth Vader kick butt in the black suit and all I got was ani.... waaaah!!! :mad:

iPhone = Ani Skywalker :p

The phone is cool, but I wanted to see OS X 10.5, Come on Steve.!!!!

PYR0M310N
Jan 9, 2007, 02:47 PM
yeah i'm not too dussed about seeing the iPhone (although it does look pretty cool) but it doesn't come out till June so something about OS 10.5 would have been good

apfhex
Jan 9, 2007, 02:50 PM
iPhone = Ani Skywalker :p
Love your analogy. I think I'll be more entertained by watching the 2 hour keynote later today than I was by Episode III. ;)

psychofreak
Jan 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
yeah i'm not too dussed about seeing the iPhone (although it does look pretty cool) but it doesn't come out till June so something about OS 10.5 would have been good

Worse for me: I have a router. I have a small tv. I live in the uk (Q4 iPhone). I mean, no iWork/iLife updates (for now)...

triple1k
Jan 9, 2007, 03:07 PM
Don't get me wrong. I am a Cingular customer and if I had 5 or 6 hundred dollars laying around to throw at a phone(already have)/iPod(already have)/mac(already have)..etc you get the point, this iPhone looks very cool.

Someday this might be for me. I guess I was just being greedy and hoping for more on the Mac side of things. It also bothered me when Steve said that they are changing their name to Apple and moving away from Apple computers. Do you think this is something to be concerned about in the future. I am wondering if this means less development in the hardware and software side of things for the MAC. Anyway....things to ponder upon....:rolleyes:

ogee
Jan 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
Yeh not too impressed. I wanted the ATV and have ordered it along with the new wireless router, but the phone is not of interest as a). I have a smart phone & b). It wont be available for the best part of a year. Still in a years time my phone will be due for replacment so maybe I will take another look. At least they will have had time to get the bugs fixed :)

I wanted Leopard. Now... or at least a firm release date :(

Anyone know if the "802.11n Enabler for Mac" can be downloaded anywhere? Its not on software download yet.

aussie_geek
Jan 9, 2007, 03:13 PM
I think the reason Leopard wasn't previewed because Vista has not yet officially shipped yet.

Steve has been caught out too many times by Microsoft , and if Leopard was previewed it would be a sure bet that Vista would be delayed again.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a special media event on Leopard very soon after Vista hits the shelves. It would be very soon after - ie within the week it is released to ensure that Apple is not being conceived as a copy cat.

aussie_geek

letaalio
Jan 9, 2007, 03:20 PM
I am disappointed as well...

I think the reason Leopard wasn't previewed because Vista has not yet officially shipped yet.

Steve has been caught out too many times by Microsoft , and if Leopard was previewed it would be a sure bet that Vista would be delayed again.

I don't think that is the case :( , because MS Vista has been officially released to manufacturing since the end of november (don't quote me on this) and really can't change much.

macguysoft
Jan 9, 2007, 03:34 PM
Okay...so we know iPhone is the bun but where's the beef? I predict that there will a "one more thing..." devoted to just leopard.

~Shard~
Jan 9, 2007, 03:51 PM
There's more to life than Leopard guys - it's not the be-all and end-all. We'll be seeing more of it soon enough, just be patient. :cool:

checkflag
Jan 9, 2007, 04:44 PM
I am unhappy with jobs.

Eric5h5
Jan 9, 2007, 05:06 PM
Some people may have convinced themselves that Leopard was going to be announced or released or something in January, but Apple themselves never so much as hinted at it. So if you're disappointed you have only yourself to blame. ;)

--Eric

SkyBell
Jan 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
I think I speak for all of the people who got Macs at Christmas when I say: I'm glad they didn't release leopard yet; I don't want to have to update to a new OS as soon as I got my Mac!

Zwhaler
Jan 9, 2007, 08:53 PM
i was wishing for some of the Top Secret features to be revealed as well. Guess theres always next tuesday...

ipedro
Jan 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
I'm of the mind that The Keynote speech is just the beginning of MacWorld. I think that iLife and iWork 07 will be launched in an event in the Apple booth on the showroom floor sometime this week.

Leopard? It's not being launched until the end of Q1 so it has plenty of time. Rational thinking? Apple's going to absolutely steal Vista's thunder by launching Leopard at the end of January in a special "more one more thing" event just when Vista is launching it's consumer edition.

In addition, if you look closely, the iPhone's OSX resembles a GUI that Apple's been moving towards. You see the purplish bezels (like iTunes), the black backgrounds and the glassed over toolbars. There's also a heavy use of core animation, a highly touted Leopard feature. Now if you think for a moment here, Leopard is going to be released in Q1, the iPhone in Q3 and the iPhone runs OSX... it doesn't take much to come to the conclusion that the iPhone will be running Leopard.

So yes, we did get a Leopard preview in this keynote, we just weren't told so. I imagine that Leopard will have a completely redesigned UI as seen on the iPhone and might even include gestures (via the iSight - Jobs has a strategy when he's including an iSight on all Macs standard now).

iLife07 + iWork07 - This week
Leopard - End of the month

Bookmark this page. I'm fairly certain of my predictions. :D

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 10:51 PM
I am unhappy with jobs.

Try public assistance. :p

Leopard will be shown soon enough but they're still working on things. We still need 10.4.9 to make Tiger better.

MacNut
Jan 9, 2007, 10:54 PM
Even if they showed off Leopard I hope you didn't expect to be going to Comp USA any time soon to buy it.

Khryz
Jan 9, 2007, 11:06 PM
I agree with everyone's rationale behind Leopard not being mentioned today. Now I don't own a Mac, but am highly interested in a MacBook. From what I've read over the past couple weeks in reviews and articles and posts, OS X Tiger is easily comparable to MS Vista. If that's the case, why would Apple have to rush for displaying Leopard when it's current OS is already competing with MS's brand new OS. If anything, it should give Apple some breathing room about releasing Leopard on schedule that would actually help them instead of right now like many people hoped it would be way ahead of schedule. If there's no rush, why hurry?

Also, NICE FIND in concluding that the iPhone's OS demonstration could very well have been displaying maybe a watered down Leopard version? Nice eyes, I'll have to go back and look at the keynote again.

ipedro
Jan 9, 2007, 11:17 PM
Also, NICE FIND in concluding that the iPhone's OS demonstration could very well have been displaying maybe a watered down Leopard version? Nice eyes, I'll have to go back and look at the keynote again.

Yeah, it's blaringly obvious. iPhone will be available after Leopard launches and Steve (and the technical notes) say straightforwardly that it runs OSX. Why would it be running OSX Tiger, a step backward by the time the iPhone is out?

I see a lot of core animation used in the UI such as Coverflow's flipping album art, the elastic looking dragging of pages, plenty of expose style effects and more. More importantly, the entire UI seems vector based, otherwise known as resolution independent.

It is obvious that Leopard will look quite a bit alike to what we saw on the iPhone.

From the iLife perspective, leaving iLife 06 so prominantly featured on their page can't last for long. If they didn't intend on releasing a new version soon, they would have at least redesigned the page to omit '06 from the name to buff up the novelty image.

I fully expect an iLife and iWork update this week as well as a Leopard RELEASE by the month's end. Can you tell I'm confident of my predictions?

cyrax83
Jan 9, 2007, 11:37 PM
umm I dont think it was a trimmed down version of leopard on the iphone.

for anyone who watched the live stream, jobs pointed out numerous times that it was OS 10 on the iphone.

ipedro
Jan 9, 2007, 11:52 PM

for anyone who watched the live stream, jobs pointed out numerous times that it was OS 10 on the iphone.

I agree. It was obvious by viewing the iPhone in action that it is a full fleged OSX with all it's built in core engines (Core Animation being the most obvious). But the OS and GUI are 2 different things. The front end used on the iPhone is to the iPhone what Front Row is to the Mac.

Again, I reiterate that it was Leopard OSX that we saw on the iPhone for obvious reasons:
1 - Tiger isn't capable of the OS level advanced animation seen on the phone
2 - Why would they use an OS that will be obsolete when the iPhone launches?

Therefore, have a look at the not so secret new UI of OSX Leopard right here (http://www.apple.com/iphone/). ;)

bep207
Jan 9, 2007, 11:52 PM

leopard is part of OS 10
it is the 5th iteration of OS 10

so it very well could be Leopard, Safari looked very Leopardesque to me

Peace
Jan 10, 2007, 12:02 AM
I tell you what.If any new iMacs come out with Leopard and have that multi-touch technology watch out!!

Chundles
Jan 10, 2007, 12:06 AM

Yes, Leopard is OS 10, it's 10.5 to be precise. Tiger is OS Ten as was Panther, Jaguar, Puma and Cheetah before it.

OS X is OS Ten just using the Roman numeral X in place of the ten. And yes it's a number, not a letter so it's OS Ten when you describe it.

The iPhone did appear to be running a lite version of Leopard if the UI, application icons and additional features are anything to go by.

Mr Skills
Jan 10, 2007, 03:57 PM
...Apple's going to absolutely steal Vista's thunder by launching Windows Vista...

Now that would REALLY steal their thunder! :D

letaalio
Jan 10, 2007, 06:00 PM
Leopard on the iPhone does make sense as the iPhone has a *black shiny interface* :) . Illuminous, anyone?

tyr2
Jan 10, 2007, 06:07 PM
OS X is OS Ten just using the Roman numeral X in place of the ten. And yes it's a number, not a letter so it's OS Ten when you describe it.

Odd really, everyone I know in the UK calls it OS X (the letter) not OS 10. Never really understood why, it's just stuck. Mayby it's just me and my mates..

sushi
Jan 10, 2007, 06:08 PM
There's more to life than Leopard guys - it's not the be-all and end-all. We'll be seeing more of it soon enough, just be patient. :cool:
I would echo ~shard~'s comments.

Leopard will be here soon enough and on time.

Chundles
Jan 10, 2007, 06:10 PM
Odd really, everyone I know in the UK calls it OS X (the letter) not OS 10. Never really understood why, it's just stuck. Mayby it's just me and my mates..

Yeah most people I know do as well but Steve was pretty adamant when OSX was introduced that it was said OS Ten and if anybody's right about it it's Jobsy.

Simon R.
Jan 10, 2007, 06:35 PM
I read some people elsewhere speculating that Apple are shifting their focus away from computers and over to multimedia gadgets like iTV, iPods, iPhone etc etc... Hence the removal of the word "Computer" in Apple's official company name. If this is true, it saddens me as I don't want software development for my new Mac Pro to cease. Speculation of course, but there are some hints like the name change and the lack of any mention of any Mac computer and Leopard in the keynote...

~Shard~
Jan 10, 2007, 06:50 PM
I would echo ~shard~'s comments.

Leopard will be here soon enough and on time.

Thanks sushi - however your new avatar confuses me... :confused:

:p ;) :D

theBB
Jan 10, 2007, 06:51 PM
Final Cut Express promotion with new Mac purchases (making it $100 for regular, $50 for edu customers) runs until the end of March, so I would not expect Leopard before April. I don't think Apple will need additional enticements to sell Macs for quite a few months once Leopard is released.

bousozoku
Jan 10, 2007, 07:08 PM

Don't they teach Roman numerals in school? I suppose it's of limited value for the majority of people, unless they want to know when a film was released.

The last time I heard someone say oh ess eks, it was someone who used to sell Apple equipment at CompUSA. Then again, he also told someone that AirPort Extreme was twice as fast as the original AirPort. 54 Mbps divided by 11 Mbps = 2?

Anuba
Jan 10, 2007, 07:34 PM
Steve Jobs = George Lucas

I dunno, Jobs was always sort of a cross between Hitler, Hannibal Lecter and Ted Bundy to me. Captivating to the masses, well spoken and charming, but deeply, unfathomably evil on the inside.

I definitely see the resemblence between Bill Gates and Jar-Jar Binks though.

iPhil
Jan 10, 2007, 08:09 PM

sushi is in a sushi eating mood .. ~Shard~ you know the food that Dr. Q ate on his Japan trip?

Sushi's 'tar is of that food :p :rolleyes:

Anuba
Jan 10, 2007, 08:19 PM
Don't they teach Roman numerals in school? I suppose it's of limited value for the majority of people, unless they want to know when a film was released.
Right, but clearly roman numerals are not a staple of version numbering. I am not typing this in Internet Explorer "VII". I always assumed the X in OSX was primarily for the X-factor, and to a lesser extent a version designation (built from scratch, it barely shares a byte with its predecessor anyway). And I have yet to hear it pronounced as "Oh ess ten". Even the geeky Mac-addicted C++ programmers in my circle of friends call it "Oh ess ex".

bousozoku
Jan 10, 2007, 09:23 PM
Right, but clearly roman numerals are not a staple of version numbering. I am not typing this in Internet Explorer "VII". I always assumed the X in OSX was primarily for the X-factor, and to a lesser extent a version designation (built from scratch, it barely shares a byte with its predecessor anyway). And I have yet to hear it pronounced as "Oh ess ten". Even the geeky Mac-addicted C++ programmers in my circle of friends call it "Oh ess ex".

Mac OS X followed Mac OS 9, but I suppose you didn't know that.

I suppose you'd never seen Myst III: Exile or Final Fantasy IX, either. :)

~Shard~
Jan 10, 2007, 10:02 PM
sushi is in a sushi eating mood .. ~Shard~ you know the food that Dr. Q ate on his Japan trip?

Sushi's 'tar is of that food :p :rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation, however I am quite the sushi connoisseur myself... :p I appreciate the bastardly reply nonetheless. ;)

Diatribe
Jan 10, 2007, 10:06 PM
I am unhappy with jobs.

I don't think he cares a lot. :p

aaronw1986
Jan 10, 2007, 10:06 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a special media event on Leopard very soon after Vista hits the shelves. It would be very soon after - ie within the week it is released to ensure that Apple is not being conceived as a copy cat.

aussie_geek

Vista has been officially released. The Business version came out in December, and regular retail is already being manufactured, so it couldn't be delayed again.

ipedro
Jan 10, 2007, 10:22 PM
Now that would REALLY steal their thunder! :D

:p haha.. yeah, that would be plain STEALING... thanks for noticing my gaff.. corrected.

sushi
Jan 11, 2007, 07:39 AM

Just a little switch after all the Bond Girls!

Probably will return to my usual 'tar after a few days. Or maybe start rotating different types of sushi! ;)

sushi is in a sushi eating mood ..
Well now that you mention it, I was a bit hungry when I came up with this 'tar! :D :D :D

freddiecable
Jan 11, 2007, 07:47 AM
in the keynote Jobs clearely states that Macs and OSX will come later - but that there is alot of stuff coming. not that strange that Jobs puts emphasis on iPhone - and not distracting attention with leopard features etc.

i for one is going to buy this iphone and realisticly this is the first phone - they should differentiate the "platform" in a similar way like the ipod, nano and shuffle.

BoyBach
Jan 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
I'm sure that Leopard will get it's own Special Event in a couple of months where all of the details concerning release date, price and features will be announced. The Event will probably also include the iLife update and updates to the Mac range.

There's no point in Apple showing all of it's 'hand' in the first month of 2007.

Diatribe
Jan 11, 2007, 09:15 AM
He will demo Leopard and iLife 07 soon, I wouldn't be too worried.

czeluff
Jan 11, 2007, 10:05 AM
I agree that SOMETHING will happen before the release of Leopard. No way will they not show off the "additional 66% percent of new features never before seen."

Remember they said, "we dont want to show you all of the new features in Leopard this early. We don't want Vista copying them. Today we'll show you about a third". Theyll show em later, i promise.

In regards to the phone: Macbook + iPod + phone = iPhone. If hyou have the three things on the left of the equation, there really is very little need for the phone. Dont get me wrong I went nuts over it....but its just a convenience issues if you have a laptop and an ipod.

cz

MrSmith
Jan 11, 2007, 10:09 AM
Probably will return to my usual 'tar after a few days. Or maybe start rotating different types of sushi! ;)

Maybe eat a piece a day - and watch this thread reach epic proportions:

http://www.foxnews.com/images/192344/0_23_Naked_Food_Sushi_2.jpg

dernhelm
Jan 11, 2007, 10:14 AM

Uh, Leopard will be a version of OS X. Version 10.5 to be exact.

aLoC
Jan 11, 2007, 10:29 AM
If iLife '07 requires Leopard, that would explain why not shown at Macworld. It would then come out second calendar quarter along with Leopard.

Diatribe
Jan 11, 2007, 10:38 AM
If iLife '07 requires Leopard, that would explain why not shown at Macworld. It would then come out second calendar quarter along with Leopard.

That would make a lot of sense.

rdoyle720
Jan 11, 2007, 11:05 AM

aussie_geek

Um...what? Vista has been released to manufacturers, they're busy printing up copies and shipping them out to stores. Showing Leopard at this point would have ZERO effect on Vista.

Nausicaa
Jan 11, 2007, 12:14 PM
I read some people elsewhere speculating that Apple are shifting their focus away from computers and over to multimedia gadgets like iTV, iPods, iPhone etc etc... Hence the removal of the word "Computer" in Apple's official company name. If this is true, it saddens me as I don't want software development for my new Mac Pro to cease. Speculation of course, but there are some hints like the name change and the lack of any mention of any Mac computer and Leopard in the keynote...

I suspect they aren't shifting their focus so much as they are expanding it. Clearly, Apple is about much more than computers these days. However, they have made huge strides in computer market share over the last few years. They would never abandon an increasingly successful business.

I echo many of the other sentiments in this thread that the iPhone was shown to highlight a lot of the new technologies that will be included in future products. It is the culmination of 200 patents, and I suspect a significant number of them will be included in iPods, computers, and laptops to come. Many of you suggest that Leopard was running on the iPhone, and this seems like a fair bet.

I also like another posters idea about multitouch technology being incorporated into their computers. I'm also willing to bet they will take the music aspect of the iPhone and make it into a standalone iPod with a large harddrive.

I also suspect they are holding off on revealing more about Leopard until the consumer launch of Vista. They will wait until buzz is highest for Microsoft's new OS, and then drop their bomb and steal Vista's thunder.

Keebler
Jan 11, 2007, 01:14 PM
honestly, has tiger even been out a year yet? did people really expect it now? i didn't think it, nor ilife 07, would be released until the spring (april/may).

hang in there folks. remember, it's not always healthy for a company to continually blast new products out there. always good to spread it out a bit in terms of stock value (ie. always innovating rather than 1x or 2x's a year); customer recognition and understanding of the new products; a chance for internal structures to be solidified in terms of production, sales and support and hey, what else would we have to bitch about? :)

oh, and let's not forget 1 tiny, tiny factor which i think is a factor, but some may not. there is....um... a stock options 'scandal' or 'issue' in the news. releasing info about a product not out for 6 months helps skip over that issue a bit. ie. their stock went up almost $8 on Tuesday! :)

Cheers,
Keebler

Dyaus
Jan 11, 2007, 02:05 PM
honestly, has tiger even been out a year yet? did people really expect it now?

Tiger was released in April 2005, 18 months after Panther was released. I really want to see what these "top secret" features are.

Howard Brazee
Jan 11, 2007, 02:22 PM

Maybe you just don't all speak Latin.

But this is regional - I'm a mainframe programmer - some places people say IBMs transaction processing system is kicks, but I'm used to spelling it out C-I-C-S.

Now Apple is no longer a computer company, and decided not to have iTV - and has questionable right to the name iPhone in the U.S., our shortcut names are still not set in stone.

sushi
Jan 11, 2007, 08:58 PM
Maybe eat a piece a day - and watch this thread reach epic proportions:

http://www.foxnews.com/images/192344/0_23_Naked_Food_Sushi_2.jpg
Actually that is a pretty fun way to have sushi.

...then again, I wouldn't know! ;) :p :D

Hmmm... Maybe that should be my new 'tar?

To the others, sorry for the OT post.

phillipjfry
Jan 11, 2007, 10:21 PM
Ok....I'm a young guy in my prime. I donno if it's just me, but I don't really see the point in eating sushi in that manner....
then again, I can't really stand the taste of it or any of its variants
FYI, yes I've had it, and yes I've had it made authentically (a Japanese woman brought a lot in for a class project)
Now for the on-topic

Speaking of iLife 07, wasn't there suppose to be some kind of "workshop" about iLife today (thursday) around 1:30? Some people thought that ilife/work 07 was gonna be shown there....so how'd that go?

ogee
Jan 17, 2007, 03:17 AM
I fully expect an iLife and iWork update this week as well as a Leopard RELEASE by the month's end. Can you tell I'm confident of my predictions?

There is a saying

"Those who know cant tell, those who tell dont know"

Lets wait and see :)

As for the iPhone release, when you think about it it was a really cleaver move.

The world *was* talking about Vista, now its talking about Apple and iPhone. Clever move.