PDA

View Full Version : iPhone and the UK

ddk121
Jan 9, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hey!
I am dissapointed that the iPhone is being released in UK Q42007. I am on Vodafone. If I were to import this phone from the US in June, would it work, considering the phone is quadband?

alexprice
Jan 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hey!
I am dissapointed that the iPhone is being released in UK Q42007. I am on Vodafone. If I were to import this phone from the US in June, would it work, considering the phone is quadband?

I'm not sure, is the phone locked to Cingular?

MacBoobsPro
Jan 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hey!

Thats a good question. :p

EDIT: I'm not sure, is the phone locked to Cingular?

Thats an even better question :D

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hey!

i guess the device will work, but not sure about the phone capabilities, seeing as the US phones will most likely be locked to cingular..

i'm sure people will find a way of unlocking - its only a matter of time really.

still.. whats with the yahoo tie-ins? surely gmail would of been the better option, considering the google-apple partnership?! weird..

mhuk01
Jan 9, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hey!

same! how much do you think it'll be to upgrade? i still have 14 months of my 18 month contract, by christmas i'll have about 6 months left. Anyone have any guesses as to how much money i will need to find?

SpookTheHamster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
Well, if it's $499 in America with a contract, I'm assuming it'll be 200-250 here. Is it really Vodafone only? I was hoping for O2.

Willis
Jan 9, 2007, 04:37 PM
Well, if it's $499 in America with a contract, I'm assuming it'll be 200-250 here. Is it really Vodafone only? I was hoping for O2.

we wont know until UK carriers start annoucing what they'll do.

BBC B 32k
Jan 9, 2007, 04:47 PM
word on the street is that Tesco Mobile will have the exclusive rights. Phone will also be re-coloured with blue and white stripes.

cost likely to be about 500 clubcard points :p

Queso
Jan 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
I reckon it's going to be available to all four major carriers, but don't expect it as a free upgrade to your existing handset until early 2009.

Not unless you steal it off someone in the pub anyway :p

AlphaAnt
Jan 9, 2007, 05:02 PM
I reckon it's going to be available to all four major carriers, but don't expect it as a free upgrade to your existing handset until early 2009.

I had thought the same thing about the four major American carriers as well, but Apple has made it quite clear that its going to be exclusively Cingular despite its quadband feature, which means no iPhone for me. I wouldn't put it past them to do the same thing in Europe.

Queso
Jan 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
I had thought the same thing about the four major American carriers as well, but Apple has made it quite clear that its going to be exclusively Cingular despite its quadband feature, which means no iPhone for me. I wouldn't put it past them to do the same thing in Europe.
From the press over the past year or so, it appears Apple have had problems finding a carrier to take the iPhone. I think they've got round that by promising one carrier exclusivity, hoping that customer demand will then attract other companies.

ChrisWB
Jan 9, 2007, 05:38 PM
still.. whats with the yahoo tie-ins? surely gmail would of been the better option, considering the google-apple partnership?! weird..
Yahoo's internet division is run by SBC. SBC owns Cingular.

mhuk01
Jan 11, 2007, 07:36 PM
i am currently on an 18 month contract with vodafone.

my contract runs out in febuary 08. will i be able to upgrade to the iphone this year?

SpookTheHamster
Jan 12, 2007, 04:36 AM
i am currently on an 18 month contract with vodafone.

my contract runs out in febuary 08. will i be able to upgrade to the iphone this year?

Companies quite often contact you to renew your contract after 12 months anyway, and offer a new phone or credit. At least, that's what O2 do to me.