Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
Hmm I love the iPhone and will buy anyway, but please tell me. Why no iChat on it? I mean with OSX embeded and all bells and whistles they cram in there. So where is an iChat? I dont think second small camera in the front would be a problem.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I was wondering the same thing. I don't even care about video chat or iChat mobile. All I want is plain old iChat text on something smaller than my powerbook. Still, the iPhone blew me away.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
PHP:
 All I want is plain old iChat text on something smaller than my powerbook. Still, the iPhone blew me away.

Actually i use iChat quite a lot. I move a lot around and thats the way I stay in touch with my fiance. I would love to be able to use it over wifi network somewhere instead of carrying my MBP around all the time..:cool:

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Actually i use iChat quite a lot. I move a lot around and thats the way I stay in touch with my fiance. I would love to be able to use it over wifi network somewhere instead of carrying my MBP around all the time..:cool:

Exactly, I feel tethered to my (wireless :rolleyes: ) powerbook just to stay connected to AIM. I can't imagine Apple omitting this completely. For what reason? I don't even want cellular IM, just Wifi IM! I think it would be great to do other things, even if just inside still connected to wifi, and be able to chat. Anyone else feel this way?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, I was wondering why this wasn't included too. I'm sure that people will make apps for the iPhone though, don't you think?

puttputt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
Interesting that it isn't iChat on there indeed.
The demo on Apple's site looks pretty much like iChat though.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/?feature=feature03

Maybe they're chatting with AOL about a chat app?
(partner with google, yahoo, and aol? might as well.)

I was thinking all along that texting would be the hottest feature -- at least for the kids.

"SMS
iPhone includes an SMS application with a predictive QWERTY soft keyboard that prevents and corrects mistakes, making it easier and more efficient to use than the small plastic keyboards on many smartphones."

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Interesting that it isn't iChat on there indeed.
The demo on Apple's site looks pretty much like iChat though.

They made the text messaging look kind of like iChat -- but the difference is, you'll have to pay for each message you send, just like you would with regular text messaging on any other phone.
I'm sure this is the reason they didn't include iChat, as they want people to message each other this way, and have us pay each time to Cingular. Otherwise, if enough people had iPhone's with iChat, they'd be able to send messages for free. Cingular wouldn't make the money they would like on a regular phone.

Makes sense to me why it wasn't included, even though I don't like it...

puttputt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
...you'll have to pay for each message you send, just like you would with regular text messaging on any other phone.

That is good insight but I hope you are wrong -- or at least there is a way around it. Seems that if it's running "OS X" (there has been absolutely no reference to OS being "OS X Lite") you could run ichat or aim or whatever chat program... ?

I really don't care about the chat feature personally, but it should be a strong selling point.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
That is good insight but I hope you are wrong -- or at least there is a way around it. Seems that if it's running "OS X" (there has been absolutely no reference to OS being "OS X Lite") you could run ichat or aim or whatever chat program... ?

I really don't care about the chat feature personally, but it should be a strong selling point.

I hope I'm wrong too, but I don't think I am in this case.
Yes, it would be a great selling point to have iChat -- but this phone is going to sell amazingly regardless. Having iChat might sell a few more, sure -- but it would be more money for Apple, and less for Cingular. Since they're partnering with Cingular (despite all the complaining on these boards, it's pretty much a necessity for numerous reasons), it makes sense that they'd want to keep them happy by not offering free messaging (after all, other Cingular phones have to pay for text messages -- why shouldn't Apple's phone?)

The few more sales Apple might get by including iChat isn't worth losing all they're gaining by partnering with Cingular in the U.S. Despite the success of unlocked phones in Europe and other places, America just isn't ready yet to pay even MORE for an unlocked phone. Everyone I've talked to already about the iPhone says it's cool, but WAY out of their budget -- even people already with Cingular. (Like me -- I'm seriously bummed I might not be able to afford this phone). So a couple hundred dollars added on TOP of the already high cost might have made this device a much lower-seller here in the States.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
The few more sales Apple might get by including iChat isn't worth losing all they're gaining by partnering with Cingular in the U.S. Despite the success of unlocked phones in Europe and other places, America just isn't ready yet to pay even MORE for an unlocked phone. Everyone I've talked to already about the iPhone says it's cool, but WAY out of their budget -- even people already with Cingular. (Like me -- I'm seriously bummed I might not be able to afford this phone). So a couple hundred dollars added on TOP of the already high cost might have made this device a much lower-seller here in the States.

Its still six months to go. Maybe europe will get the model with iChat. I seriously hope so.
If you would use iChat on the EDGE/HSDPA your provider will bill you for data anyway, so I dont think its the major issue :confused:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I also noticed that they while they stated that Yahoo! would have push iMAP they said nothing about .Mac having push iMAP. I can't see them not doing it. My guess is that .Mac push iMAP and things like iChat will come in a later announcement. They have several more months to refine the current software and develop new stuff.

My current phone does AIM and I use my iChat account on it. It's simply text messaging back and forth but the other user can be using iChat/AIM on their computer. There may or may not be the charge associated with SMS messages but do you really carry on super long conversations on your phone? I don't but I'm probably a minority in that regard. Once you're in range of WiFi it sounds like it will send the messages through AIM instead which would not incur a surcharge. If my current phone on Cingulars network can do it I can't imagine the iPhone not doing it.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Yeah, I was wondering why this wasn't included too. I'm sure that people will make apps for the iPhone though, don't you think?

At least to start, the software platform is controlled by Apple. They're the only ones who can make software for the iPhone. This may, of course, change in the future.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
yeah they got to include ichat....even if you have to pay to text

Just because the demo we saw yesterday didn't show iChat installed on the iPhone doesn't mean Apple won't add it before the June release. The hardware has to be pretty final to go for FCC approval, but that leaves Apple with 4 months to work on software for the thing.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
yeah they got to include ichat....even if you have to pay to text

But then it's not quite iChat.
The conversations I have in iChat are a LOT different than the one's I'd have via text messages on my phone. One is free, so I know I can do unlimited messages back and forth. Cell phone text messages aren't free, so I try and be concise as and cram as much info in one message as possible.
Actually, I think it's a little sneaky to have the SMS messages look like iChat -- since the UI might make you more comfortable in sending MORE messages back and forth than usual. That is, until you get hit with your Cingular bill!!

If they DID include iChat, but you had to pay for it, I'd rather it be a small flat fee you pay every month for the service -- and not get charged for EVERY message.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Perhaps they're holding back the iChat name as a possible replacement for "iPhone" if the lawsuits go the wrong way. iChat Mobile was one of the rumored names for the iPhone a while back.

Plus, if Apple improved iChat for the Mac to where it can do Skype-style VoIP calls, iChat Mobile would make a lot of sense.

If iPhone wins out, we might see an iChat app for the device sooner rather than later.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Perhaps they're holding back the iChat name as a possible replacement for "iPhone" if the lawsuits go the wrong way. iChat Mobile was one of the rumored names for the iPhone a while back.

Plus, if Apple improved iChat for the Mac to where it can do Skype-style VoIP calls, iChat Mobile would make a lot of sense.

If iPhone wins out, we might see an iChat app for the device sooner rather than later.

It's certainly possible but with each new detail (hearsay or not), I'm looking at the iPhone as less of an option for anyone.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have an idea. The text messaging will support sending to IM people (like it does on most cell phone AIM programs), but the iPhone plan will include unlimited texts, so it won't matter!

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
camera and screen on opposite sides of the phone

I'm confused about this list. Didn't we see in the keynote/elsewhere that the camera is on the opposite side of the screen? How would you do ichat then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.