PDA

View Full Version : Apple, the iPod 5G is TOO OLD

joelovesapple
Jan 9, 2007, 06:17 PM
I don't understand - the new iPhone is a great example of convergence in technologies; however Apple is still trying to sell the now 2-years-old video iPod alongside it?

This is a joke. It's high bloody time it was replaced. Think about it, if someone bought an iPod back in '05 when it was launched, and by now its all horrid and scratched, they won't want to replace it with the same thing will they? If it were me, I would want to be holding something completely different looking. I'm talking about those who don't want a phone included. There are plenty of us out there. In my opinion, I don't want to have my music interrupted by a phone call and neither will you - plus you are tied to the thing if you have a 2 year contract.

I know its early but if you think, it's about time it got replaced (the normal video iPod). You can't just update the same design forever. It's better looking than the horrid Zune but still becoming old-school.

:cool:

vouder17
Jan 9, 2007, 06:30 PM
They should get an iPhone, take out the phone function, and maybe even the internet stuff, and replace it with a hard drive, and it would be again the coolest mp3 out there, its that simple apple, really that simple.
I dont think any of these two products will compete for market share, cos at the end of the day, they are not the same products!

kainjow
Jan 9, 2007, 06:42 PM
Do you realize how many people would die to get even a 3G iPod? The 5G iPod is still brand new to 99.9% of all consumers.

I sold a refurbished iPod mini very easily. People want iPods like crazy, no matter what kind is.

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 06:49 PM
What's wrong with the 5g iPod?

It works, it's reasonably priced, and it has good capacity. It still works better than the competition and it has good content available, including new movies from Paramount/Viacom in the U.S.A. When legal hurdles are overcome in other countries, I'm sure more people will have choices.

So, what's wrong with it?

feelthefire
Jan 9, 2007, 06:57 PM

It works, it's reasonably priced, and it has good capacity. It still works better than the competition and it has good content available, including new movies from Paramount/Viacom in the U.S.A. When legal hurdles are overcome in other countries, I'm sure more people will have choices.

I don't know, I played with a zune the other day and I liked it a lot better...super easy to convert videos for it with software included in windows, and subscription music...

I'm pretty much sold, actually. Apple waited too long. I don't want the same device everyone got two years ago. Huge yawn.

joelovesapple
Jan 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
I don't know, I played with a zune the other day and I liked it a lot better...super easy to convert videos for it with software included in windows, and subscription music...

I'm pretty much sold, actually. Apple waited too long. I don't want the same device everyone got two years ago. Huge yawn.

My point exactly:rolleyes: But I wouldn't get a Zune. Its just about the 2 year thing, otherwise Apple could lose their customers to it; those who want something new to 'try it out'. Especially people who, unlike us, do not research Apple particularly or care less about whats next.

apfhex
Jan 9, 2007, 07:11 PM
however Apple is still trying to sell the now 2-years-old video iPod alongside it?
It's also half the price (not counting the increased monthly fees for data usage!) and doesn't require a 2 year contract with Cingular. :) The 5.5G iPod didn't come out that long ago... granted it's not much different from the 5G. I also think people are TOO IMPATIENT when it comes to new iPod releases. :)

They should get an iPhone, take out the phone function
I suspect this is what they will do for the "true video" iPod, though they may wait until the iPhone has been out for a little while.

SuperSnake2012
Jan 9, 2007, 07:11 PM
The 5G iPod came out in October of 2005, hardly two years old :rolleyes:

stainlessliquid
Jan 9, 2007, 07:39 PM
They should get an iPhone, take out the phone function, and maybe even the internet stuff, and replace it with a hard drive, and it would be again the coolest mp3 out there, its that simple apple, really that simple.

No its not, the phone is $500-600 with a 2 year contract to cingular. Unlocked its probably almost a thousand dollar phone. Take out the phone parts and increase the hdd and you have an insanely expensive MP3 player that nobody without disposable income would buy.

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 08:24 PM

It's not only not any worse than the last update, but it's still better than the competition. Yes, Microsoft helps you convert video and it does video well, but the ease of use is almost non-existent on the player itself. It's a mess and most consumers are realising that.

My point exactly:rolleyes: But I wouldn't get a Zune. Its just about the 2 year thing, otherwise Apple could lose their customers to it; those who want something new to 'try it out'. Especially people who, unlike us, do not research Apple particularly or care less about whats next.

You're just being impatient. Apple has been updating the iPod line regularly but not all models at once. There should be a replacement for the 5g models in June.

Sesshi
Jan 9, 2007, 08:30 PM
Wasn't the same thing said about the 4G Photo? It sold pretty well with the mid-life refresh until it was replaced by the 5G. The 5G is two years old? How? I got mine in November '05, barely a month after release. FYI, counting between years is a little more complicated than subtracting '05 from '07.

Xander562
Jan 9, 2007, 08:32 PM
The 5G iPod came out in October of 2005, hardly two years old :rolleyes:

Exactly what I was thinking! More like 1 1/4 years. Although i agree that it seems weird that Apple hasn't come out with a new generation, i also agree with the people who are saying that it's pretty much perfect for most of the people buying it.

Next year for sure;).

dllavaneras
Jan 9, 2007, 08:33 PM
hehe, the title of this thread reminded me of the Jobs SNL parody :)
The 5G iPod is just over a year old... you can't expect a new top-of-the-line iPod every few weeks

solvs
Jan 10, 2007, 01:17 AM
Wait a few weeks or months. It'll be here. Probably.

This isn't a big buying season anyway.

adamyoshida
Jan 10, 2007, 03:22 AM

It could use a bigger screen, better battery life, and probably a bigger hard drive too - especially in the low end. I've got a 30 Gigabyte 5G Video and I'm waiting for a new generation to go up in storage - either to the higher end (if we get something like a 40 Gig as the new low) or the the low-end (if, say, 60 Gigs becomes the low-end).

Meatball
Jan 10, 2007, 04:21 AM
I'm quite disapointed as well! I was hoping for JUST a widescreen iPod, not with phone, internet and all that jazz! I think they should have released a widescreen iPod (video, photos, music) and a iPhone :mad:

archurban
Jan 10, 2007, 04:43 AM
I'm quite disapointed as well! I was hoping for JUST a widescreen iPod, not with phone, internet and all that jazz! I think they should have released a widescreen iPod (video, photos, music) and a iPhone :mad:

calm down. full function ipod has period to release. it's not the season yet. it's usually september through october. so you will see 6th gen video ipod before thanksgiving. if you can't wait, buy iphone. it's all about your decision.

teleromeo
Jan 10, 2007, 04:54 AM
I waited until yesterday to buy a new iPod, waited for the anouncements of macworld. I saw it, decided that I don't need an iPhone and went to the applestore and ordered a 80gig white one. Just what I wanted since I gave my old one to my nephew at christmas. I could have ordered it a couple of weeks ago If apple wasn't doing so mysterious all the time ...

macg4
Jan 10, 2007, 09:24 AM
what exactly is wrong with the 5g ipods?? before i got mine a few months ago i was still using a 4g 20gig ipod for the past 2 1/2 years. what some people dont understand is that you dont need to have the newest best product out there as soon as it comes out. if u have something older and it works for you, then why replace it?

Grimace
Jan 10, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure if as many people would buy the iPhone if there were an iPod-only version available...now. Wait until October and we might see the new interface in an iPod.

Macmaniac
Jan 10, 2007, 09:36 AM
When Apple releases the iPhone minus phone and wireless, it will kill the Zune. It won't take long before it comes out. And if Apple sticks and 80gb HD in there and prices it at $399 it will be a huge hit.

aquajet
Jan 10, 2007, 09:39 AM
what exactly is wrong with the 5g ipods??

Some of us want to gloat that we've got the best. And it would be like, soooo lame to buy stuff from 2005. Duh.

:rolleyes:

Squonk
Jan 10, 2007, 09:54 AM
I'll patiently wait for a video iPod with that 3.5" screen. I think the notion of an iPhone -Edge -cellular +hard drive cannot be too much of a leap. How about a selling price of not more than 399? Sure I'd like it to cost less, but I'll be realistic about this.

Note, I think keeping the wi-fi and OSX with the other apps would be awesome!!!

Do I want an iPhone - yes! Do I need one? No.

bousozoku
Jan 10, 2007, 12:14 PM
It could use a bigger screen, better battery life, and probably a bigger hard drive too - especially in the low end. I've got a 30 Gigabyte 5G Video and I'm waiting for a new generation to go up in storage - either to the higher end (if we get something like a 40 Gig as the new low) or the the low-end (if, say, 60 Gigs becomes the low-end).

My PowerBook could use better battery life and a bigger hard drive, too, considering that the bigger iPod has both. ;)

So, you've got the latest (5g or 5.5g) but you bought the lower model, knowing that 30 GB would be difficult to fit everything?

ShermDog
Jan 10, 2007, 12:49 PM
Take out the phone parts and increase the hdd and you have an insanely expensive MP3 player that nobody without disposable income would buy.

I agree, especially if such an iPod would include multi-touch technology and run OSX. I think that Apple, as with any company that develops anything this revolutionary, will want to recoup as much $$$ as possible for all the R&D spent on developing the technology in the first place.

Passante
Jan 10, 2007, 12:51 PM
what exactly is wrong with the 5g ipods?? before i got mine a few months ago i was still using a 4g 20gig ipod for the past 2 1/2 years. what some people dont understand is that you dont need to have the newest best product out there as soon as it comes out. if u have something older and it works for you, then why replace it?

There is nothing wrong with the 5g iPod. But what I wanted was the iPhone without the phone and the internet connectivity and a 40-60 gig drive for $399.

IronEddy
Jan 10, 2007, 03:41 PM
I have never been impressed with the "video ipod", and have not wanted to buy one. I have an 8 gig nano, but I want an 80 gig for my car. I have been waiting for a true video ipod since the release of the 5g. Seems like the iphone killed my dreams of a touch screen ipod. What a sad day.

bousozoku
Jan 10, 2007, 04:12 PM
I have never been impressed with the "video ipod", and have not wanted to buy one. I have an 8 gig nano, but I want an 80 gig for my car. I have been waiting for a true video ipod since the release of the 5g. Seems like the iphone killed my dreams of a touch screen ipod. What a sad day.

It's not over. There is more to come.

Superdrive
Jan 10, 2007, 04:27 PM
First, people complain that the iPod is getting updated too often. Now, people complain that the iPod does not get updated enough. Apple can't win.

According to the buyer's guide, since the iPod was recently refreshed with the 5.5G features, it will be about 40 days until it is truly eligible for a total upgrade. Personally, I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw a 60GB widescreen iPod using the features from the iPhone for $449. It would also be nice to use an iPod with the above features and the internet communicator functions for $499. Then it would be like them "giving" away the phone features.

Grimace
Jan 10, 2007, 04:30 PM
First, people complain that the iPod is getting updated too often. Now, people complain that the iPod does not get updated enough. Apple can't win.

According to the buyer's guide, since the iPod was recently refreshed with the 5.5G features, it will be about 40 days until it is truly eligible for a total upgrade. Personally, I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw a 60GB widescreen iPod using the features from the iPhone for $449. It would also be nice to use an iPod with the above features and the internet communicator functions for $499. Then it would be like them "giving" away the phone features.

true that, people will pay almost anything to get that kind of functionality (touchscreen) on a photo/video/music pod. $399 -- no problem. People would be beating down the doors. Those same early adopters would help the eBay marketplace in June when they sell the iPod to fund a phone. Or, maybe they keep it for the capacity...

combatcolin
Jan 10, 2007, 05:29 PM
The iPhone is out in June, and where being told about it now.

I was wondering about iPods, are they available straight after release or is there a wait for them?

June is 6 months away, i guess we should have a new iPod by then.