PDA

View Full Version : Did Steve Jobs break the law during the keynote?

pthurst
Jan 9, 2007, 07:59 PM
I'm sure all the 'eagle eyed' amongst us have seen the FCC disclaimer on the bottom of the apple iPhone page but I wonder if the unit has FCC clearance to be used? (Steve 'appeared' to demo the unit as part of his Keynote address)

Just a thought...

More info and pics at www.paulhurst.blogspot.com (http://www.paulhurst.blogspot.com)

Ps... doesn't it look GREAT!!!

Metatron
Jan 9, 2007, 08:02 PM
Of course not. How else do you test a new cell phone? Plus, you know the FCC guys are all drooling over thiers right now which is why it is going to take so long to get approval.

stevento
Jan 9, 2007, 08:04 PM
no i think what the disclaimer means is that they cant sell it or try to sell it until the FCC clears it.
but its good for apple becuase its out but people still have to wait in greuling anticipation while the FCC clears it.

CanadaRAM
Jan 9, 2007, 08:05 PM
It has to have clearance to be sold.

Cybix
Jan 9, 2007, 08:05 PM
i was thinking the exact same thing just earlier... *ponder*

skubish
Jan 9, 2007, 08:08 PM
I'm sure all the 'eagle eyed' amongst us have seen the FCC disclaimer on the bottom of the apple iPhone page but I wonder if the unit has FCC clearance to be used? (Steve 'appeared' to demo the unit as part of his Keynote address)

Just a thought...

More info at www.paulhurst.blogspot.info (http://www.paulhurst.blogspot.info)

Ps... doesn't it look GREAT!!!
nope you are allowed to test prototypes, just not offer them for sale without FCC approval. Also your self promoting link doesn't work. :rolleyes:

dllavaneras
Jan 9, 2007, 08:08 PM
I thought he broke the Apple keynote law #1:
"One more thing..."

pthurst
Jan 9, 2007, 08:10 PM
nope you are allowed to test prototypes, just not offer them for sale without FCC approval. Also your self promoting link doesn't work. :rolleyes:

I included pics from the site on the link... Oh and what's so bad about a blogger including a link in the post or a sig???

Get a life :) .. And don't click the link if you don't want :D

skubish
Jan 9, 2007, 08:38 PM
I included pics from the site on the link... Oh and what's so bad about a blogger including a link in the post or a sig???

Get a life :) .. And don't click the link if you don't want :D

Nothing's wrong with it except it doesn't work probably. Unless you want it to go to a blogspot.info general page instead of a page with pics.

pthurst
Jan 9, 2007, 08:44 PM
Nothing's wrong with it except it doesn't work probably. Unless you want it to go to a blogspot.info general page instead of a page with pics.

Haha!!!! How rubbish am I... It should have ended .com

Anyway I wonder if anyone else picked up of the FCC thing? I presume they have clearance to use them... Just not to sell or loan them?

sikkinixx
Jan 9, 2007, 09:04 PM
was his prank call illegal? I would love to see jobs get slapped with a fine..."*SLAP* thats for no new iPod stevie"

brad.c
Jan 9, 2007, 09:31 PM
was his prank call illegal? I would love to see jobs get slapped with a fine..."*SLAP* thats for no new iPod stevie"

Agreed. Or at least a bill for 4000 lattés.

TheAnswer
Jan 9, 2007, 09:34 PM
I doubt it was a real prank, I'm sure they called the Starbuck's beforehand. Although, who knows with Steve & Steve's past prank history and his devil-may-care attitude shown in his refusal to say "and one more thing..."

jsw
Jan 9, 2007, 09:37 PM
nope you are allowed to test prototypes, just not offer them for sale without FCC approval.
As an employee of a phone manufacturer, I just wanted to vouch for that - you can use the devices for testing; you just can't sell them. Absolutely correct.

dvkid
Jan 9, 2007, 09:54 PM
I honestly do not think that much of what we saw today was the <i>real</i> iPhone. I am led to believe that everything from the phone calls to the satellite maps was all carefully planned, downloaded, packaged, and arranged as to prevent something from going on. I don't think that one of the calls made in that room today was legit. As such, they did not break the law regarding FCC. Nor is it false advertising, for the product millions of people end up buying will do everything Steve showed today, yet in a much less "science-lab" sense.

Also, the FCC could argue that what Steve did today was not really a test. Once your product is done being tested it has to receive FCC clearance. Or else anybody could go out and make walkie talkies or their own cell phone or other wireless devices.

jsw
Jan 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
Also, the FCC could argue that what Steve did today was not really a test. Once your product is done being tested it has to receive FCC clearance. Or else anybody could go out and make walkie talkies or their own cell phone or other wireless devices.People: cell phone manufacturers can test their phones. In public. They can show them to other people, make calls, etc.

They just can't sell them.

Nothing illegal about anything we saw today. Period.

wrc fan
Jan 11, 2007, 05:06 AM
I don't think that one of the calls made in that room today was legit.
Yeah, they even used the reverb and echo effects on the people talking in their phones just to make the phone calls sound more believable (You know, their phones picking up Steve talking, and Steve's phone picking up their talking). And did you notice how Phil Shiller's phone was so staticy? I bet they did that to show how ancient and outdated his phone is in comparison to the new iPhone, while in reality his phone would've sounded crystal clear. They really put some hard work into faking the phone calls and making them believable. Good thing we see through it!

MrSmith
Jan 11, 2007, 05:15 AM
I assumed he doesn't like Starbucks and so chose them to be the butt of his joke. No idea what kind of reputation Starbucks has, but isn't it kind of coffee McDonaldization?

Queso
Jan 11, 2007, 05:20 AM
I assumed he doesn't like Starbucks and so chose them to be the butt of his joke. No idea what kind of reputation Starbucks has, but isn't it kind of coffee McDonaldization?
I wondered whether Starbucks being from Seattle was the choice there. Yet another Californian dig at Washington state ;)

macfan881
Jan 20, 2007, 11:49 PM
besides if it was against FCC Regulations im sure it would have been something by them by the following day esp after the post FCC Superbowl ordeal

EricNau
Jan 21, 2007, 12:00 AM

I wondered whether Starbucks being from Seattle was the choice there. Yet another Californian dig at Washington state ;)
Both of you are thinking too hard. Starbucks is the most popular and most common coffee house in America, thus Steve Jobs chose them to call for coffee. It's that simple.

And MrSmith, no, actually Starbucks has very good coffee, it's just overpriced and there are about twice as many than needed.

princealfie
Feb 1, 2007, 09:40 AM
Both of you are thinking too hard. Starbucks is the most popular and most common coffee house in America, thus Steve Jobs chose them to call for coffee. It's that simple.

And MrSmith, no, actually Starbucks has very good coffee, it's just overpriced and there are about twice as many than needed.

Starbucks is the manifestation of Satan's divine plan. Check this out: http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/

pilotError
Feb 1, 2007, 01:55 PM
wondered whether Starbucks being from Seattle was the choice there. Yet another Californian dig at Washington state

Probably some connection to the Rumor that Starbucks wants to put iTunes downloads in its stores.

balamw
Feb 1, 2007, 02:26 PM
The FCC has a mechanism for experimental licenses.

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/faqs/elbfaqs.html

Otherwise, how would you build the device before you submit it for licensing?

B

FunFred2007
Mar 8, 2007, 11:04 PM
From what I understand, you can make your own phone, so long as you don't sell it. I mean, if you have the means to make a mean phone (wow, haha), then I believe you can do it.

balamw
Mar 8, 2007, 11:51 PM
From what I understand, you can make your own phone, so long as you don't sell it. I mean, if you have the means to make a mean phone (wow, haha), then I believe you can do it.

Not without notifying the FCC. You can't transmit anything on a licensed frequency without .... a license. There are plenty of devices that work in unlicensed bands, i.e. where you don't need a license, like most cordless phones or WiFi, but these still need to be tested before sale to make sure they don't interfere with things outside the band even if it's not a radio. Look for the FCC Class B logo on the back of your iPod and LOTS of other devices...

B