PDA

View Full Version : Screw the phone, where's the OS?

ex-hp
Jan 10, 2007, 12:51 AM
I'm glad I didn't get overly excited about this, because then I would've had expectations and would've been disappointed.

I don't care about some damn phone that is not even coming out for half a year, and that is even assuming the FCC doesn't find something to whine about. Sure, it looks great, it'll make Apple a pile of cash and it'll be very handy when I get one in 2008, maybe after the first revision comes out. But I care about things that I use right now: OS X for my MacBook. iLife. Etc.

The Gretzky quote and the buzzwords were annoyingly cocky.

The only difference between the B.S. hype from Jobs and Gates is that at least the phone didn't crash during the demo.

kjdenison
Jan 10, 2007, 01:03 AM
I'm kinda confused as well, it's macworld and we didn't even see Mac OSX or anything that runs on the mac really? Just accessories. Maybe having a watered down version of it on the phone counts? Odd

SkyBell
Jan 10, 2007, 01:07 AM
Apple isn't all about Macs anymore. In fact, Macs are basicly secondary focus now. And we're going to have to accept that. Leopard will make it's way out eventually, be patient. And so will iLife and iWorks.

Besides, you don't want them to rush Leopard. If they did, it would be a buggy peice of crap. That isn't very Apple-ish, now is it?

Inspace
Jan 10, 2007, 01:18 AM
I think that the announcement of the company's name change might indicate that Apple is becoming the Casio of the 21st century. With computers, we probably just get a lot more glossy screens and less innovation. But at least we will have i-tv, i-pods, and maybe i-watches, i-glasses, and perhaps even an i-religion. But I am not sure about computers and operating systems (ok, I admit this is an overreaction to my disappointment, but I do half mean it).

MacNut
Jan 10, 2007, 01:49 AM
In the 5 years I've been here someone is always upset over what doesn't show up at Macworld.

Voidness
Jan 10, 2007, 01:54 AM
In the 5 years I've been here someone is always upset over what doesn't show up at Macworld.
Definitely, Apple can't please everyone.

But seriously, who WASN'T expecting Steve to just talk about Leopard?

dancertom3
Jan 10, 2007, 01:54 AM
But at least we will have i-tv, i-pods, and maybe i-watches, i-glasses, and perhaps even an i-religion.

Becareful there...there might be a few crazed faithful that would start the iReligion. Now I'm a little worried...

SkyBell
Jan 10, 2007, 02:04 AM
Where is the Leopard? here (http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Version-10-5-Leopard/dp/B000FK88JK/sr=8-2/qid=1168416226/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4768724-2990559?ie=UTF8&s=software).

RedDragon870503
Jan 10, 2007, 02:05 AM
It is important to point out that the animations and fluidity in the GUI of the iPhone is superior to Tiger, save that sweet water thing with the widgets.

Possibly signs of things to come in 10.5?

MrTed
Jan 10, 2007, 02:08 AM
It's very clear: the word "Computer" has been erased from Apple.
Where are the fxxxxg Macs ? !!:mad:

SkyBell
Jan 10, 2007, 02:11 AM
According to my link posted above, Leopard will be availible on August 14, 2007.

dancertom3
Jan 10, 2007, 02:15 AM
According to my link posted above, Leopard will be availible on August 14, 2007.

Check again. It says "August 14, 2006". Notice the 6, not the 7. :(

bartelby
Jan 10, 2007, 02:17 AM
I really can't see why people are getting so worked up about all this.
I think, in order to survive, Apple have realised they need to branch out more. They had a huge hit with the iPod and they'll do the same with the iPhone.
We all know Leopard is coming, we all know the computers will be updated. Just because the MWSF Keynote didn't have exactly what you wanted there's no reason to get stressed about it.
After a shaky period in the 90s I'm just glad Apple are still around and producing amazing products and that Steve Jobs is still here.

SkyBell
Jan 10, 2007, 02:21 AM
Check again. It says "August 14, 2006". Notice the 6, not the 7. :(

:D ;) I was wondering how long it would take before some one caught that.

It's just a date stating when Leopard was availible for preorder. It still is.

But if anyone wants to buy Leopard now, that is the place to do it.

phungy
Jan 10, 2007, 03:09 AM
I want Leopard!

Dalriada
Jan 10, 2007, 03:50 AM
Why don't people realize that yesterday was not so much about another cell phone to hit the market, it was about a new revolutionary design/UI which for sure will not take long to reach the iPod or the iTablet etc... Apple always one step ahead. Good keynote. Am sure we'll get Leopard and iLife in separate events in the next weeks to come.

- Dal

Jebaloo
Jan 10, 2007, 04:09 AM
What are the next events?

When do you think that everything else that we know/think/hope is coming, will be announced?

Cepe Indicum
Jan 10, 2007, 05:53 AM
As people above have already mentioned (sort of), could it be that we actually saw a demo (albeit very small) of Leopard in the iPhone. It was said in the Keynote, almost word-for-word, that the iPhone runs OS X... Key things:

1) In Safari, the way you switch between 'tabbed' websites (when Steve switched between them, they 'stepped back' then moved along)...

2) Again, in Safari, the blue menus rather than the brushed metal...

3) An overall darker UI; could Leopard's dock look similar to the iPhone's home screen?

Just my thoughts; maybe I'm pushing my status as a newbie a little far :) I'm not as downbeat as a lot of other people here seem to be.

If this is what Apple can do with a phone UI, just think what Leopard is going to be like! :D Just the beginning... I think so!

Butthead
Jan 10, 2007, 01:26 PM
Apple isn't all about Macs anymore. In fact, Macs are basicly secondary focus now. And we're going to have to accept that. Leopard will make it's way out eventually, be patient. And so will iLife and iWorks.

Besides, you don't want them to rush Leopard. If they did, it would be a buggy peice of crap. That isn't very Apple-ish, now is it?

Mac's are 2ndary now, a sad day then. So they are trying to become the new Sony? Then maybe in the not to distant future, they too will be in danger of bankruptcy. Chinese computer companies will surpass all, and India will come in 2nd in those decades ahead, and Apple consumer electronics company will be gone...a sad day a waits when Apple, Inc loses focus and does not supply innovative computer products.

M$ will always copy MacOS, nothing new there, that is no excuse to not release an OS 10.5 (would be great if Merom/Santa Rosa laptops shipped with DDR2, SSD 64GB, OLED screens & BR writing optical...all running OS 10.5 this spring), especially with new hardware coming done the pike long before ??? M$ probably knows through leaks already, what much of the new OS 10.5 had in it, or will have in it after updates. OS 10.5 is now starting to become long overdue. When has it taken Apple this long in the past to get to the next version of OSX? Maybe they have too much of their resources diverted on other projects?

For all the hype, place your bets now. I predict the iPhone will never be as much of a success as the iPod phenomena. Bill Gates just criticized Apple at CES for lack of choice...hardware wise v. M$ and their strategy. With the iPhone we have a single producer of a specific cell phone, unless other cell manufacturers can produce similar products with the OSX lite, licensed on them; iPhone will never amount to anything more than a small niche market, not unlike the computer hardware. Screw the phone, where's Leopard!

But seriously, who WASN'T expecting Steve to just talk about Leopard?

Oh I dunno, probably there were a few, lol. Not mentioning the next 'great' OSX at MWSF just goes to show the magnitude of the excessive hype for this one, probably one of the most insignificant MSWF's ever. Who would have thought, given all the built up anticipation about Leopard, and Steve-O has hyped the OS before at previous MWSF's; that Steve would basically ignore such a piece of software that is still pivotal and a core item of what Apple Inc. is about? Who would have thought there would be no mention of upcoming Intel product lines, mention of Blu-Ray, etc; even hints at what could a happen in 2007...what, Steve-O's writing team could not come up with another 'year of the laptop', 'year of Hi-Def' useless slogan...etc :D?

elppa
Jan 10, 2007, 01:44 PM
As people above have already mentioned (sort of), could it be that we actually saw a demo (albeit very small) of Leopard in the iPhone. It was said in the Keynote, almost word-for-word, that the iPhone runs OS X... Key things:

1) In Safari, the way you switch between 'tabbed' websites (when Steve switched between them, they 'stepped back' then moved along)...

2) Again, in Safari, the blue menus rather than the brushed metal...

3) An overall darker UI; could Leopard's dock look similar to the iPhone's home screen?

Just my thoughts; maybe I'm pushing my status as a newbie a little far :) I'm not as downbeat as a lot of other people here seem to be.

If this is what Apple can do with a phone UI, just think what Leopard is going to be like! :D Just the beginning... I think so!

No, your not pushing your newbie status a little far :)

This is elaborated on here:

iPhone: The Most Revolutionary Device Since 1984 (http://www2.jeffcroft.com/blog/2007/jan/10/iphone-most-revolutionary-device/#entry-continue)

bousozoku
Jan 10, 2007, 01:52 PM

Even when it's only about computers and operating systems.

Besides, you all just got a look at what Leopard can do on a portable device. It'll be worth the wait to see it on a typical computer. Apple has much more to announce and they have mentioned that they're getting away from their habits.

iMeowbot
Jan 10, 2007, 02:17 PM
Where are the fxxxxg Macs ? !!:mad:
That thing in Steve's hand for most of the keynote, that was the fxxxxg Mac. That Apple started with OS X instead of a ground-up operating system, or another OS that was already built for the job, speaks volumes. We're clearly going to be seeing more of this stuff, and not all in handsets.

Cybergypsy
Jan 10, 2007, 02:18 PM
I want Leopard!

Ditto!!!!

Cepe Indicum
Jan 10, 2007, 02:32 PM
No, your not pushing your newbie status a little far :)

This is elaborated on here:

iPhone: The Most Revolutionary Device Since 1984 (http://www2.jeffcroft.com/blog/2007/jan/10/iphone-most-revolutionary-device/#entry-continue)

Thanks for your comment... and for the link... an interesting read, and sums up what I was thinking.

I can understand why people are not so keen on the iPhone (particularly regarding the price tag) but if it does nothing else, this phone will improve future phones in general, just as the iPod did with MP3 players... and, indeed, the Mac did with computers!

Apple are still the innovators in my book; the iPhone is simply in a different league to the Zune as an MP3 player (and any other smartphone on the market as a smartphone, because that's what it is!), and I am certain that Leopard will be in a different league to Vista!