PDA

View Full Version : iBook HD, 5400 vs. 4200?

coolbreeze
May 12, 2003, 10:23 PM
I am fishing around for an iBook, and found one on eBay that seems to be a good deal. The guy is advertising an upgraded 5400 RPM 40Gig HDD in the iBook 800. I asked him if this was a self installed item, as I see all the HDD's in iBooks on apple.com are 4200 RPM. He never directly answered the question. I want to add Applecare to this if I get it, and I'm afraid a custom item will void that potential.

Is this a reason to worry? Also, someone talk me into spending $$ on a new iBook (since noone seems to want to trade...see my post in For Sale/Trade).

maracz
May 13, 2003, 06:40 AM
The Apple warranty only works on the original configirations. Meaning even if you have non-Apple ram you have to take it out before the reapirmen tak a look at it. I think that the HD will pretty much void repairs.

yzedf
May 13, 2003, 09:46 AM
I agree with maracz.

iPat
May 13, 2003, 11:48 AM
Not true...
I've sent my ibook in 2X for a mother board replacement with a Crucial 512MB module in it and they never said a thing. Came back each time with the same module in the new mother board. I've had 2 different Apple Geniuses look at it, note the added extra RAM, and they never suggested taking it out before sending it in for repair (although I made sure that they noted the extra ram on the work order to be sure it came back with the ram).

QCassidy352
May 13, 2003, 12:19 PM
I think RAM is an exception because it is supposed to be a user-installed part. A hard drive is a different story, and will likely void the warranty.