PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Really Want to See?

dancertom3
Jan 10, 2007, 02:27 AM
What one annoucement would you have liked to have seen at the Keynote this year?

Personally, I wanted a new iPod Nano with 20, or even 30 gigabyte NAND Flash storage. I have no desire to watch video on my iPod. I just want a small, light iPod that holds a lot of music.

bartelby
Jan 10, 2007, 02:32 AM
The iPhone and a large capacity (100GB+) iPod.

DeSnousa
Jan 10, 2007, 02:33 AM
Seriously an iPod with that much NAND will not happen any time soon. Me, well I was hoping for another preview of Leopard and iLife, maybe a .Mac upgrade too.

While the iPhone looks amazing, did they need to spend an hour raving about it at the keynote.

Metatron
Jan 10, 2007, 03:09 AM
Seriously an iPod with that much NAND will not happen any time soon. Me, well I was hoping for another preview of Leopard and iLife, maybe a .Mac upgrade too.

While the iPhone looks amazing, did they need to spend an hour raving about it at the keynote.

It was obvious that steve loves the iphone more than anyone else. And that he wants apple to be everywhere. He see an advantage no other computer maker is going after with the digital lifestyle. And it will work. He combined the most popular mp3 player on the market (8 gig nano) and a phone. Ran it off OS X and made a new platform. While this is similar to smartphones, it is different. It is not a new OS, it is just a striped down version of OS X which mean future development "should" be simple. How can one not like it. Plus, in a month apple inc will anounce speed bumps, etc. He said over the next few month apple will be updating the macs...but today was for the iphone.

Queso
Jan 10, 2007, 06:07 AM
I was very disappointed yesterday not to see iLife '07 even if it has only been for 10 minutes, but I'm more chilled out about it now. iLife '06 was buggy as hell when it got released, probably because they rushed it to make the keynote deadline. If they take another month over it this year and it comes out better as a result, I can't be unhappy.

Same with Leopard. 10.4.0 broke too much. If they get 10.5.0 out the door as near perfect as they can, it'll be worth it.

What I was really hoping for was a smaller MBP, but even then I wouldn't be buying a replacement for my PB12" until it breaks, so that's not urgent (hopefully).

And of course an announcement regarding non-US TV/Movies or even the licensing of Fairplay would have gone down a storm. There is so much content going up on the Internet in the UK, and Mac users are locked out of all of it simply because the providers only have Windows DRM as an option.

Will_reed
Jan 10, 2007, 06:23 AM
I was kinda hoping for blu-ray and a leopard demo but oh well that iphone was so awsome that the apple tv doesn't seem that thrilling anymore.

kwood
Jan 10, 2007, 06:24 AM
What one annoucement would you have liked to have seen at the Keynote this year?

Personally, I wanted a new iPod Nano with 20, or even 30 gigabyte NAND Flash storage. I have no desire to watch video on my iPod. I just want a small, light iPod that holds a lot of music.

I haven't seen any rumors or speculations about this one at all; I wanted an upgrade to the Mac mini.

I would be happy with just a Core 2 Duo processor dropped in. A price drop would also be nice, but I don't see that one happening though.:(

macmike47
Jan 10, 2007, 06:32 AM
I guess Apple are going to bring out 16GB Nanos at some point this year. Who knows, they might even surprise everyone by doubling the storage of the iPhones. Remember the original MBP speed bumps? Something similar.:)

After all, flash memory is always tumbling in price.

iWhale
Jan 10, 2007, 06:40 AM
I really really really wanted to see iLife 07 and iWork 07 but if the rumors of them being packaged with Leopard are true then I'll be happy as long as the price doesnt increase *cough*

xwing1971
Jan 10, 2007, 07:37 AM
Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to see an iPhone and MAN is it impressive! However, this is MACWorld, and I really wanted to see some Macs. Personally, I was hoping that they were going to release a Kentsfield quad-core iMac today, and hopefully show us the top secret features of Leopard, both of which would've been available today (my dang credit card was out and ready!). The Mac Pro Octo (8 core) would've been nice too. I agree with some others that the Apple TV is neat, but the XBox 360 does most of the same things and plays awesome games, too. Isn't mac compatible, but I think a lot of people have both a PC and a Mac. Having the Beatles on the iTunes store soon is pretty cool, too.

valdore
Jan 10, 2007, 04:36 PM
As I've already blathered fervently in other threads: I wanted to see updates on actual Mac computers!

misterm
Jan 10, 2007, 04:51 PM
can't help agreeing with previous posts, it would be so nice to see a product in the UK that we can take full advantage of. iTV is a great idea, but without movies and tv's (the BBC's archive anyone?) it seems pointless. I would rather stick a mac mini through a plasma, at least i can watch DVD's direct, and browse etc as well...Would have been nice of they had launched the iphone at a 'it's showtime kinda event' and used expo for mac users...just a thought

PeggyD
Jan 10, 2007, 06:41 PM
I wanted new versions of iWork & iLife, especially iWork. I wouldn't care if they hadn't been mentioned in the keynote, just release them. I must say I had not read or heard that some think they will be included with Leopard. I don't think that is practical. Many will want Leopard but not iLife &/or iWork & many may want new iLife & iWork applications but not want to upgrade to Leopard. Even if they were to take advantage of features in Leopard, I doubt they require Leopard to run.

I am still completely shocked that there was not one thing announced that was purely Mac-related. After all, it is Macworld!

dancertom3
Jan 10, 2007, 07:47 PM
can't help agreeing with previous posts, it would be so nice to see a product in the UK that we can take full advantage of. iTV is a great idea, but without movies and tv's (the BBC's archive anyone?) it seems pointless. I would rather stick a mac mini through a plasma, at least i can watch DVD's direct, and browse etc as well...Would have been nice of they had launched the iphone at a 'it's showtime kinda event' and used expo for mac users...just a thought

I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. In Australia, too, we can't used iTMS for Movies or TV shows. It would be nice. I don't understand why they don't just hurry up and do it. Seems like they're missing out on a good return there.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2007, 07:51 PM
iPhone :)

Leopard :(

Apple NAS - which was a long shot, but since Apple's new AirPort Extreme supports one or more USB2 HDs the problem is (probably) solved. :)

Cybix
Jan 10, 2007, 07:57 PM
I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. In Australia, too, we can't used iTMS for Movies or TV shows. It would be nice. I don't understand why they don't just hurry up and do it. Seems like they're missing out on a good return there.

I'm thinking we will get it eventually, we waited ages just to get the iTunes store in the first place!

No doubt there are lots of things that need sorting out before they can offer these services through iTunes, no doubt pay a chunk of cash murdoch or packer's way... :D

fingers crossed... I think it would be a big hit in Australia, we're the slackest pricks in the world, why would we want to get up to goto the movies, or drive to the video store? hahaha

cant wait for the online iGroceries application, I'll be able to order my fortnightly food shopping online, and in the rare case where I'll need to actually go into the shop, of course I can dock my new iPhone and sync my shopping list to it...

aaaah the future :)

iFridge, iCinema, iClimate, .... linked via Apple AirNet

dllavaneras
Jan 10, 2007, 07:58 PM
I was hoping for a tablet or a new portable model. They'd come very handy for work

Zwhaler
Jan 10, 2007, 10:54 PM
Widescreen touchscreen iPod (not with the phone) and new displays. And iLife 07.

Wand'rer
Jan 11, 2007, 12:30 AM
I am a newbie to this web site, although not to Macs. I have been using them faithfully since I bought my first computer, a Mac SE. And I'll no doubt get shot down in flames, but I have to say it.
I know everybody hoped their own personal needs be met at Macworld '07. But I have to say that I think Apple delivered everything we could ever have hoped for and more.

This thing isn't a phone... It isn't an iPod... It isn't a video player...
It's a computer disguised as those things. This is the next incarnation of computing. First we had a personal computer (desktops). Then we migrated to mobile personal computers (laptops). This device is the next significant step forward toward a full-service, fully-roamable personal computer (a palmtop). Check out The Economist interview with Eric Schmidt.
http://www.economist.com/theworldin/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=8133511&d=2007

Sure, the iPhone is not starting out as fully robust across so many divergent standards as many users may have hoped (mode, storage capacity, GPS, service provider, ect...). But then again, neither was OS X 10.0 when it came out. But it grew...
And given the natural evolution evident in all of Apple's products, this palmtop or RPC or whatever you call it has all the potential to become the gateway to Eric Schmidt's promised land of "cloud computing". And Steve Jobs is a person who rarely misses any marketing potential.

Hey, maybe this is just a revision of Jobs' original marketing plan to put an Apple II computer in every classroom in the US.

bousozoku
Jan 11, 2007, 12:38 AM
I definitely wanted to see the phone to stop the guessing. I also wanted to see upgrades to the MacBook and Mac mini lines.

It would have been nice to see anything else but I really didn't expect to see Leopard since they seem to be hiding the interface until the last minute.

sam10685
Jan 11, 2007, 01:30 AM
major updates to the macbook line and more features of Leopard.

puckhead193
Jan 11, 2007, 01:33 AM
the iphone is awesome and thinking about it. The only other other thing i was hoping for was updated imacs, ilife 07 and a date for 10.5

GimmeSlack12
Jan 11, 2007, 01:37 AM
That was pretty much the coolest keynote in years.

Introduce two brand new markets for Apple with two spectacular products, and then top it off with John Mayer playing. That had to be a great day for whoever attended.

(Ok, a little bit of Leopard wouldn't have hurt)

siurpeeman
Jan 11, 2007, 01:38 AM
i was hoping for more information (possibly even more "secret" features) about leopard. that and iwork.

misterm
Jan 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
so nice that someone agrees with me, it might be a great year for Mac user in the US, but the rest of the world needs to be given he same level of output in terms of media to actually use itunes etc, come Steve...get Apple Uk and Apple Austrailia, and every where else to sort these deals out...I also agree with other ps, i would love to see the iPhone without the phone, maybe his is one of the 'great new things' to look forward to in the next few months...

thejadedmonkey
Jan 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
an iPhone, not a smart phone though, something around $150.

wozzlewoozle
Jan 12, 2007, 07:35 PM
I was really hoping for a new iWork. I have iWork '05 and although I really like it (mostly keynote), there are still some more features. I've seen iwork '06 and they addressed nearly all of the issues I have with iWork '05, but want to buy 06 to have 07 come out just a few months later Well hopefully in a month or so......

FoxyKaye
Jan 12, 2007, 09:54 PM
I can think of a whole list of things:

* Ultra portable sub-12" Mac laptop
* Upgrades to all the Mac lineup (or at least the consumer Macs), move some of those quad-core Intel chips into the lineup
* Upgrades to the iPod lineup (16GB Nano, 30/80 videos replaced with maybe 40/100 or even 60/100 capacity)
* The elusive "true video" iPod
* iLife application updates
* Leopard preview

Alas, we got the iPhone. I'm not certain how I feel about this, since I can't find a reason why I'd want one.

Oh, and it would have been nice to have some advance warning that Apple was transitioning from a computer company that makes digital lifestyle products to a digital lifestyle company that happens to make computers.

bousozoku
Jan 12, 2007, 09:56 PM
an iPhone, not a smart phone though, something around $150.

You expected something like that from Apple? Really?

Perdix
Jan 13, 2007, 02:49 AM
What I've always really liked about Apple is the way that they keep on thinking of things I never even knew I wanted. I missed that this year. I would have been happy with just one more little thing about iPhoto.

iShak
Jan 13, 2007, 11:20 AM
a Phone, basic no fancy touch screens, just minimalistic small phone! with a good screen ofcourse.

a widescreen ipod, by ipod i 'mean' ipod! .. not this crappy black shiny thingy called iphone ..

a revision to consumer oriented notebook (macbook basically)

ilife '06

updates on leopard ..

some displays .. 'affordable' displays ... to put and end to dell's monopoly.

Caitlyn
Jan 13, 2007, 11:36 AM
I really wanted to see Apple Cinema Displays with iSights in them. I am in the market for one, but feel as though I have no wait now that the external iSight was discontinued.

skubish
Jan 13, 2007, 02:53 PM
I really wanted to see Apple Cinema Displays with iSights in them. I am in the market for one, but feel as though I have no wait now that the external iSight was discontinued.

1. Leopard (so I can get ready to buy an iMac.
2. NAND based macbook ultraportable
3. a consumer iPhone that lets me download from iTMS using wifi or the GSM network. This iPhone is too expensive (upfront and monthly) for me to purchase.

Eidorian
Jan 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
I highly doubted any sort of new hardware. Intel's roadmap doesn't show much that'll fit an Apple design until Q2 2007.

I really wanted Leopard and iLife/iWork. I was very disappointed that we got AppleTV and the iPhone. What shocked me even more is the change to Apple, Inc. It's a COMPUTER company! Apple is going into to many markets now.

valdore
Jan 13, 2007, 03:18 PM
Legendary mutual fun manager Peter Lynch wrote in his books about how companies often go on sprees of "diworsification," meaning that instead of diversifying their businesses as they intend, the corporations lose focus on their core business, and in the end the quality of everything is lessened. It's an amusing recount to read in Lynch's book anyway. Hope it's not the same thing with Apple.

crazytom
Jan 13, 2007, 03:34 PM
I really REALLY wanted to see an iCar:

1. Gets 230 miles per gallon...Software can be updated for future fuel types.
2. Able to drive itself with collision avoidance and GPS navigation.
3. Running OS X server allowing each passenger their own (optional) monitor.
4. 6-star crash safety rating.
5. WiFi integration.
6. Custom paint that can be changed as easily as your desktop background.

But seriously, I'd like to have seen an octo-core released, making the quad-core super cheap. Basically, I want more for less!

wmmk
Jan 13, 2007, 03:46 PM
Leopard, iLife, iWork, an iNewton (iPhone-phone part, still with internet stuff), and a laptop even cheaper than the base MacBook to entice my dad into switching, but I knew all except iLife and iWork wouldn't come so all is well. When I'm in college and have to manage my whole life a bit more, the 2G or 3G iPhone will be looking really cool!:D

clintob
Jan 13, 2007, 06:12 PM
I am a newbie to this web site, although not to Macs. I have been using them faithfully since I bought my first computer, a Mac SE. And I'll no doubt get shot down in flames, but I have to say it.
I know everybody hoped their own personal needs be met at Macworld '07. But I have to say that I think Apple delivered everything we could ever have hoped for and more.

This thing isn't a phone... It isn't an iPod... It isn't a video player...
It's a computer disguised as those things. This is the next incarnation of computing. First we had a personal computer (desktops). Then we migrated to mobile personal computers (laptops). This device is the next significant step forward toward a full-service, fully-roamable personal computer (a palmtop). Check out The Economist interview with Eric Schmidt.
http://www.economist.com/theworldin/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=8133511&d=2007

Sure, the iPhone is not starting out as fully robust across so many divergent standards as many users may have hoped (mode, storage capacity, GPS, service provider, ect...). But then again, neither was OS X 10.0 when it came out.

Hallelujah!!! Someone finally gets it!!

I'm glad the silent majority is finally breaking through on these boards. The computer world is far bigger than a couple of speed bumps in your MacBook Pro. It's about innovation, and creativity. I love when the "experts" on this board spout off about how ridiculous it is to have an iPhone with "only" 8GB of stoarage (which apparently isn't a problem for the hundreds of millions of people who have bought iPod nanos)... or how it's utterly absurd to have a phone without a detachable battery (which apparently isn't a problem for the 85+% of phone users who never buy a second battery).

Get a grip people. The iPhone is a revolution in computing. Sure, it's got plenty of shortcomings, but it's just a baby. Give it a few iterations, and another 12-18 months of innovation, and all we'll be talking about after MacWorld '09 is "why didn't they bump the memory in my iPhone nano?"

Patience, your iMac and your Macbook are still top of the line, even without a speed bump... which incidentally you'll be getting in a matter of weeks. So chill out. This was WAY too big an announcement and a product to water it down with a humdrum round of software updates and hardware speed bumps.