PDA

View Full Version : Question for scem0 or any pro ramen eaters

Danger! Will
May 12, 2003, 10:49 PM
After reading your the forums I noticed you were a proffessional ramen noodle eater. Something strange happened when I went to the supermarket to pick up my daily fix of Coke. (the kind you drink that is) I saw packages of ramen noodles. But there were two different brands and I didn't know which one to get. So I grabbed em both. About 30 total.
Maruchan and Nissin.
Which ramen noodle brand do you preffer?
What flavors?
And do you have any cooking suggesting?

I don't think 3 minutes is enough time for the noodles to cook. I'm thinking 4 minutes is just right. Anyway you got me hooked on Ramen. BTW I preffer Nissin Beef.

Thanks!!!!

arn
May 12, 2003, 11:13 PM
Here's a recommendation...

after you make the ramen noodles... take the noodles out, and you've got the broth left. Crack an egg into the broth, cook over heat for another few minutes... until it gets into a liquid/scrambled texture... and pour that over the noodles.

It will look kinda gross... but tastes good.

arn

Danger! Will
May 12, 2003, 11:17 PM
Sounds gross dude....I dunno If I'll give that a try.
What I usually do is cook the ramen...drain the water except a very small amount...add the seasoning, put back on the stove while I stir all of it and eat. And repeat if neccessary.

arn
May 12, 2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Danger! Will
Sounds gross dude....I dunno If I'll give that a try.
What I usually do is cook the ramen...drain the water except a very small amount...add the seasoning, put back on the stove while I stir all of it and eat. And repeat if neccessary.

Like I said... looks gross... but definately give it a try.

In this scenario... you would not drain off the water... instead, add the seasoning to the noodle/water combination, take the noodles out, and add egg to the water/seasoning combination. Make sure you don't use too much water. (just use however much the package recommends)

arn

BaghdadBob
May 13, 2003, 03:21 AM
Oh hey, I can contribute to this one...

OK, do NOT BUY MARUCHEN. You will find that even if it is not always this way, there is quite a bit of stale ramen from them. Yucky. Go with Top Ramen...I don't know if there is still Sapporo Ichiban, but that used to be pretty good. I don't know about Nissin, it usually isn't available where I buy my ramen.

As far as cooking time, I have cooked many billions of noodles in my time, and all I can say is you need to perpetually test to get it just right, otherwise it will never be fully consistent, and if you love your noodles perfectly al dente, this is essential. Plus you will, as with all noodles, always get better texture if you do not drop your noodles in until there is violent boiling.

Try this:

Boil, strain fully, put into bowl or plate and immediately mix it with sour cream. One (or slightly less than one) packet of seasoning per two packages of ramen. I also like to squeeze a little lemon on top of this sometimes. People think I'm sick, but it's damn good. BAM!

Of course, I love sour cream and lemon juice, so you can't necessarily take my word for it, but it's a real cheap experiment.

I like the mushroom flavor of Top Ramen, but I can hardly ever find it. Also good and hard to find, there is this tomato-something. Spicy chicken, beef is always good, oriental, pork is much like beef and also good, shrimp is ok but DO NOT PUT IT IN THE WATER, it STINKS. Chicken occasionally.

I hear they have dog flavored ramen in vietnam, but that's probably a bunch of crap...

Another "recipe" try mixing in cut hot dogs (cooked first, obviously) like you would in mac-n-cheese. BAM!

And since we're on the subject, I like my hot dogs boiled whole then fried. Microwaved hot dogs are for gen-x commercials.

I'll let you know if I remember anything else. I have eaten probably 1/100th of the ramen I used to since I started living with a good-cookin' woman. I've also gained like thirty pounds.....jesus....but all this talk is making me craaaaave....yummy ramen..........

:D

tazo
May 13, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by arn
Like I said... looks gross... but definately give it a try.

In this scenario... you would not drain off the water... instead, add the seasoning to the noodle/water combination, take the noodles out, and add egg to the water/seasoning combination. Make sure you don't use too much water. (just use however much the package recommends)

arn

sounds like egg drop soup :P

wdlove
May 13, 2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by arn
Here's a recommendation...

after you make the ramen noodles... take the noodles out, and you've got the broth left. Crack an egg into the broth, cook over heat for another few minutes... until it gets into a liquid/scrambled texture... and pour that over the noodles.

It will look kinda gross... but tastes good.

arn

It sounds good to me arn! I didn't know that you were MacRumors resident gourmet cook! ;) Do you do alot of cooking at home?

baby duck monge
May 13, 2003, 03:40 PM
funny that you would mention coke in your post, because i was going to recomend smack ramen. it's not too bad, and is quite cheap.

as far as cooking goes, i usually drain nearly all the water and then add only a tiny bit of the flavoring, or i add a bit of tabasco sauce instead of the included flavor. you can also experiment with other varieties of hot sauce (i suggest marie sharp's).

evil
May 13, 2003, 04:12 PM
in canada the brand for ramen is called mr. noodle. unfortnuately they do not offer the chili flavor which is my favorite.
i usually eat the vegateble flavor and throw in tons of hot sauce

BaghdadBob
May 13, 2003, 04:22 PM
I love Red Rooster as a Tobasco alternative, but it is hard to find where I am. i have seen it once in the last eight years and I bought ten bottles of it.

You know what else is good? Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce...green squirting lid, rooster on the bottle...got it among some Chineese food a few months ago. It's my new favorite hot sauce.

springscansing
May 13, 2003, 04:29 PM
Maruchan is better than Nissan/Top Ramen.

I've found most people agree with me on this.. contrary to previous posts in this thread. Never had stale ramen from Maruchan. That's probably more of an issue of the store than Maruchan anyway.

wdlove
May 13, 2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
I love Red Rooster as a Tobasco alternative, but it is hard to find where I am. i have seen it once in the last eight years and I bought ten bottles of it.

You know what else is good? Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce...green squirting lid, rooster on the bottle...got it among some Chineese food a few months ago. It's my new favorite hot sauce.

So you are a hot sauce fan! You must have a cast iron stomach! :p I remember my mother using Tabasco Sauce with cheese and crackers.

BaghdadBob
May 13, 2003, 07:03 PM
Hot sauce, sour cream, and lemon/lime juice. One of the three almost always applies :D

PS: What happenned to the guy who started this thread? Did my sour cream recipe kill him off?

scem0
May 13, 2003, 08:07 PM
It is always fun to look at the threads and see your name up there! Hmmmm let me search for Ramen noodle posts of mine:

(and manchuran is better than Nissin, but that is opinion, and it can't be wrong - don't argue with me shadowfax :))

--------------------------
here is my post (it isn't as long as I expected ):

(The question is 'what is your favorite flavor )

quote:Originally posted by scem0
Hard question. It depends what mood I am in.

Excited/nervous/anticipating - hot chili :::yumsky::::

blah mood - beef

happy/hyper - oriental (I love oriental flavored)

sad/(blah * 2) - chicken or creamy chicken, maybe beef

Tired and wanting to wake up - hot chilli

Tired and wanting to sleep - creamy chicken

weird/odd - A MIX! A mix can be very good. But don't try to get 6 diff
flavors into one, because that can be very gross. Well, not gross,
but as gross as ramen noodles get. And hot chilli doesn't mix well.

Indifferent to everything/no mood - beef usually, but basically any
flavor........ I am indifferent towards which is best when I'm in this
mood .

Usually my favorite is oriental, but I really like beef sometimes,
and I really like spicy chilli sometimes. In all truth I love them all
sooooooooooo much, so it is hard to compare them. But I am
very experienced when it comes to Ramen.

Wow, that got me in a ramen mood. Im gunna go make me an
oriental package. Just 1 since I alread ate .
How to prepare:
Originally posted by scem0
Materials

2 packages of TopRamen® ramen noodles (any flavor)
1 fork (best if it won't melt in boiling water)
1 cheesestick (optional)
1 bowl
1 strainer
1 pot (for boiling water)

Get your pot filled up with enough water to where the ramen
noodles are completely covered by water. More is fine, but the
noodles will have less flavor according the how much water you
add.

Get the 2 packages of TopRamen® ramen noodles, and proceed
to take them out of their packaging. Seperate the noodles
from the spice.

Wait for the water to come to a boil.

Put the noodles in the pot of boiling water. Use the fork to keep
them from floating to the top. Stir them when they get soft
enough. When the water starts to boil over the edge of the
pot, put it on low, and keep it there - all the while checking to
see if the noodles are ready. When you think the noodles are
a little TINY bit too hard, turn the burner off.

Add everything from both packets of spice into the water. Stir.

Pour all the contents in the pot into a strainer (preferably a
strainer located in a sink, so as not to burn yourself ;)).

Pour the contents of the strainer into the bowl, and you've got
yourself some tasty ramen noodles.

Now, if you want to add cheese, you would add little strings of
the string cheese while you are pouring the ramen noodles into
the bowl (From the strainer). THe ramen noodles are hot enough
to melt the cheese, but you will have to stir it so it isn't so clumpy.

I LOVE RAMEN NOODLES :D. BTW - the best flavor (For a normal
mood) is oriental flavor. But what flavors are good depends on
what mood you are in.
Ramen Macaroni:
Make some ramen, and then drain the water (wont work with
broth). Get a cheeze stick and break it in half. Drop it on the
hot noodles. mix it in. Let it melt evenly. Yuuuuum. Ramen
Macaroni and Cheese!

------------------------

Hope that helps. :D

Danger! Will
May 13, 2003, 08:15 PM
Danger! Will Robinson
Houston I think we have a problem...
I'm going to have to say that Nissin/Top Ramen is a better noodle.
For some reason I think the Maruchan is too thick.
Maybe it's time to try some new noodles schemo.

scem0
May 13, 2003, 08:22 PM
no h but people make that mistake often so I don't care :).

I think both Manchuran and Nissin are great, and to tell you the truth, I eat Nissin more than Manchuran because the store my mom and I shop at only carries Nissin, but when I get the chance I get Manchuran.

But Ramen noodles are sooooooooo perfect! You seriously can't get a better meal for cheaper.

I always get all hungry after threads dealing with Ramen. I ate 3 packages last night though, and so there aren't any left. :(

Oh well. :p

wdlove
May 14, 2003, 11:44 AM
no h but people make that mistake often so I don't care :).

I think both Manchuran and Nissin are great, and to tell you the truth, I eat Nissin more than Manchuran because the store my mom and I shop at only carries Nissin, but when I get the chance I get Manchuran.

But Ramen noodles are sooooooooo perfect! You seriously can't get a better meal for cheaper.

I always get all hungry after threads dealing with Ramen. I ate 3 packages last night though, and so there aren't any left. :(

Oh well. :p

scem0, so you don't miss it I left you a great message in the Summer Dieting thread. I think you will get a kick from the post! :p

mactastic
May 14, 2003, 03:01 PM
I'm with the hot sauce crowd, too much MSG in the seasoning packets for me. Dave's Insanity Sauce is the best if you can take the heat, its got capsicum extract (Yes the stuff they put in pepper spray) mixed in with the habenero pepper mash. YUM! Small drops though, a little goes a looooong way. Back when i was really poor, i used to eat ramen with microwaved potatoes. I could eat for a week on $5. Now thats savings! Oh and for those of you who like rice, saute it in butter for a few minutes till it starts to smell and begins to brown, then use chicken stock instead of water. Its almost a meal in itself. And cheap.

wdlove
May 14, 2003, 03:15 PM
Salsa makes a great seasoning, the taste is just the right amount of spice. Tomatoes are very healthy also!

Danger! Will
May 14, 2003, 06:55 PM
Any other recipes?

zed
May 14, 2003, 07:23 PM
Any other recipes?

I usually try to add a boiled egg to mine (when i have time) and top with a little cilantro. Maybe a squirt of Soy Sauce. (or a squirt of Fish sauce... but not too much)

I cant believe the insane amount of Ramen noodle threads there are here...........

GeneR
May 14, 2003, 07:23 PM
I guess this just goes to prove that you can't keep a good ramen thread down! :D

Personally, I like Nissan better than Maruchan. However, variety is the spice of life, so having Maruchan, Nissin, Cup o Noodles, Sapporo Ichiban, etc. is all good in my book.

I think Arn's got a good recipe. Here's my point of view:

Do the exact opposite. Put the sauce into the boiling water first. Put the eggs into the boiling sauce. Break the egg and stir. If you're trying to lose weight (as I seem to need to do from time to time) leave the egg yoke out and stir in the egg white.

Slice up some green onions and leave it for last.

Slice up some Tempura fish and put it into the boiling broth.

Get some red pepper and put it in.
Put some garlic in (garlic powder will do).
Put some pepper in.
Put a bit of soy sauce in. ( a tablespoon or so).

Let it boil until the Tempura begins to inflate and rise to the top of the broth.

Breath deeply the aroma of the broth.
Put the ramen noodle packs into the boiling water. (I usually use three packs).

If you have Korean spicey cabbage (a.k.a. kimchi) put that aside.

Now stir the ramen until it starts falling away from its original dried brick form. (You'll have to take the ramen out before the ramen gets too soft -- because they it's yucky! :D)

Now as the ramen falls apart, put in about a half cup of green onions and stir. They cook fast so that's why they're last.

When the noodles are soft enough, take them out immediately and serve into a very big bowl. Put in all the noodles and half the broth. Spoon the Tempura into the bowl on top.

Now cover the darn thing with as much Kimchi as you'd like. If no Kimchi, then use red pepper or tobasco sauce :D

Now eat until you're sweating bullets and keep a pitcher of water by your side to steady yourself from bursting into flames.

Heh. :D

zed
May 14, 2003, 08:03 PM
well i couldnt take it any more...... i had to go out and get me some Ramen.

Actually, i hit the local grocery and got some Murphey's Irish Stout and about 8 packs of Ramen. Dont let anyone tell you im not cultured :D

oh... and... green onions was a good point, i forgot that in my previous post.

Danger! Will
May 16, 2003, 11:42 PM
I forgot to mention that I dont cook the ramen in the cube shape it comes in. I smash it up before I open it and then it eat. I tried it without breaking it up but I didn't like it.

Nissin/Top Ramen all the way

GeneR
May 16, 2003, 11:49 PM
Danger Will,

What's the diff btwn having the long noodles and the small pieces if you smash the block? Dang, this IS a quandry. :D I'm going to have to consult my Ramen Eating 12-step manual on this one. :D

Danger! Will
May 16, 2003, 11:52 PM
It taste different

scem0
May 17, 2003, 12:29 AM
The taste can only differ so much...

I'm all out of recipes. Probably because I prefer my Ramen plain. :)

GeneR
May 17, 2003, 12:48 AM
Wasn't there someone who liked to eat ramen with mayonaise? Ewwww.

Or maybe even....peanut butter? Or butter? Ewwwwwwww!

Icky-poo-poo!

:p

scem0
May 17, 2003, 01:43 AM
butter would be good. Peanut butter and mayanaise are a different story though. Cilantro is gross too. A lot of people like it though. I like to add chunks of meat to my Ramen. Meat and cheese are good in Ramen IMHO.

BaghdadBob
May 17, 2003, 02:34 AM
I don't find this nearly as disgusting as breaking up the blocks before you cook it. How Kafkaesque (Note: obscure Mission Hill reference).

iAlan
May 17, 2003, 03:23 AM
Must say, I eat ramen from a ramen shop 95% of the time, the other 5% I eat instant ramen at home. Of course I am at an advantage, I live in Japan!!

There are two ramen shops near my apartment, one is slightly better and i often stop of there on my way home from a late night out. There is nothing better than a bowl of ramen at 2.30 am after a long night od drinking,

Got to have ramen with the lot...sprouts, bamboo shoots, half a boiled egg and a couple of slices of meat all floating on the top. I don't know about a lot of the ramen ideas you guys are recommending in your posts, I guess I am a traditionalist.

Eat away...

pseudobrit
May 17, 2003, 03:28 AM
This method makes the noodles taste better, because they absorb the flavoring that usually sits in the broth which slides off the noodles:

I usually cook mine to death, for about 8 minutes, give or take (I never measure the water, but you'll see why this is not needed).

Then I strain about 80% of the water into the sink.

I prep the flavoring in a bowl, making sure any chunks are broken up.

I pour just enough water onto the powder to dissolve, mix it up and dump the noodles in. Then I pull the noodles through the broth, making sure they're all covered in flavor.

BaghdadBob
May 17, 2003, 03:34 AM
I am officially envious of you. I've always wanted to go to Japan. *sigh*

I don't think you can compare the packaged ramen we get over here with restaurant ramen. I've had the more authentic ramen noodles you can make at home too...it's like the difference between Me 'n' Eds pizza and bagel bites. Not even the same thing...but although Me 'n' Eds pizza is fantastic, sometimes you just want Bagel Bites. Damn junkie Americans :D

wdlove
May 17, 2003, 11:46 AM
butter would be good. Peanut butter and mayanaise are a different story though. Cilantro is gross too. A lot of people like it though. I like to add chunks of meat to my Ramen. Meat and cheese are good in Ramen IMHO.

So you are just a meat and cheese with Ramen kind of guy! :p

OutThere
May 17, 2003, 01:35 PM
if you go backpacking ramen is really light on your load and tastes really good. If you want to take the extra step you can put vegetables in with it and precooked meat to make a kind of stew, the best way to have ramen is to find what kind of seasoning that you in particular like, stuff that doesn't come in the package, pepper, spices etc and then mix in however much of the spice that comes with the ramen as tastes good. Whatever you choose ramen spicing is very much dependant on your personal tastes;)

Danger! Will
May 17, 2003, 09:15 PM
I know someone who eats ramen raw.

iAlan
May 17, 2003, 10:18 PM
There is a ramen snack in Japan called Baby Star Ramen. This is a flavoured snack which is crispy ramen (it may actually be slightly deepfried, not sure on this) but is quite nice...

scem0
May 17, 2003, 10:23 PM
Having been to Japan, I have to say that I am not a big fan of Japanese Ramen. I didn't really like much of the food in Japan. :(. The rice was good :).

iAlan
May 17, 2003, 10:55 PM
...I am not a big fan of Japanese Ramen...

scem0, how did you like Japan overall?

Anyway, all of the ramen brands being discussed in this thread are all Japanese brands (I believe).

Japan 'popularized' ramen to a very large degree. Sure, it is originally from China, but it is widely regarded that Japanese ramen is the best. I am no ramen expert (I just luv eating the stuff) but I cannot accept that you are not a big fan of Japanese ramen:confused:

What other ramen is there?:confused: :confused:

If ever you came back to Japan I will treat you to some of the best ramen you will ever taste...

iAlan
May 17, 2003, 10:59 PM
Some Ramen Museum pictures (not mine from the Yokohama City home page)

iAlan
May 17, 2003, 11:01 PM
Another picture...

iAlan
May 17, 2003, 11:02 PM
and one last picture (from the enterence area)

scem0
May 17, 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by iAlan
scem0, how did you like Japan overall?

Anyway, all of the ramen brands being discussed in this thread are all Japanese brands (I believe).

Japan 'popularized' ramen to a very large degree. Sure, it is originally from China, but it is widely regarded that Japanese ramen is the best. I am no ramen expert (I just luv eating the stuff) but I cannot accept that you are not a big fan of Japanese ramen:confused:

What other ramen is there?:confused: :confused:

If ever you came back to Japan I will treat you to some of the best ramen you will ever taste...

I loved Japan. I love Oriental culture in general. I am an Asian on the inside - I have lots of Asian friends, I enjoy Asian hobbies, and love Asian food. I love Japanese architecture, and when I am rich I am going to build a Japanese style mansion.

As for Japanese Ramen, I just don't like the broth I guess. The noodles are the same.

BaghdadBob
May 17, 2003, 11:15 PM
iAlan, do you have a .mac account or other page? I'd love to see more pics from Japan if you've any (you've got that "iLife" sig, one might assume :)).

I want to live in a castle like the original Bushido Blade on PS1...with a cherry orchard. Except I want an avacado orchard as well. :D

How's the Shimeji there? Can you get it with ramen?

I seriously wish I was over there. I'd almost join the military just to be based in Japan (except I don't know how well liked the American military is by the locals).

scem0
May 17, 2003, 11:23 PM
There are some interesting things on the Nissin website (http://www.nissinfoods.com/) like recommended recipes for Ramen. I suggest any Ramen lovers to take a peek. :)

iAlan
May 17, 2003, 11:35 PM
Good link scem0. Nissin is the largest producer of instant ramen in Japan. Very well known, and a very interesting line of products.They also relase 'limited edition' flavours that may only be available for a few months, with some very intresting varieties.

Back to your comment about the ramen broth, can you remember if you were eting miso or tonkotsu? The flavours are quite different.

Alan,

scem0
May 17, 2003, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Miso. But I bet I have had both.

iAlan
May 18, 2003, 12:06 AM
Actually miso is my favourite. But I have to agree, sometimes the broth is a litle strong.

When you make ramen, do you usially get the noodles with the powder flavouring or the paste?

If it is the paste (miso paste especially), the best way is to cook the noodles in plain water. Mix the paste with a couple of spoonfulls of hot water in a ramen bowl (if you don't have one, use a deep soup bowl). This should disolve the paste. When the noodles are done transfer to the ramen bowl and add some of the water you cooked the ramen in to fill the bowl. Add some condements (sprouts, sliced boiled egg, mushrooms, bamboon sprouts, any vegetabels really) and away you go...The idea is not to have too strong a flavour in the noodles. The soup stock has a bulk of the flavour.

wdlove
May 24, 2003, 07:31 PM
I know someone who eats ramen raw.

I hope that by raw you mean after it has been cooked and the prepackaged spices added! :p

Danger! Will
May 24, 2003, 08:00 PM
Nah, outta the box crunchy but into it and throw some seasoning on it...damn im hungry...im gonna go cook some nissin beef flavor ramen.

Long live Ramen!

GeneR
May 26, 2003, 08:02 PM
Just when I thought it was safe to roam the Community Boards again, I find myself drawn back into the Ramen thread! I can't help it! I'm addicted! And reading all of these recent posts is making me HUNGRY!!!!

It's very painful to read this thread on an empty stomach. :D ;)

wdlove
May 26, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by GeneR
Just when I thought it was safe to roam the Community Boards again, I find myself drawn back into the Ramen thread! I can't help it! I'm addicted! And reading all of these recent posts is making me HUNGRY!!!!

It's very painful to read this thread on an empty stomach. :D ;)

You should go immediately and make yourself a nice dish of Ramen Noodles! There are definitely plently of recipies to choose! ;)

dstorey
May 27, 2003, 03:54 PM
A japanese invention for scem0 and all you ramen eaters

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_10146520/=-Windows-1253-B-b25seV9pbl9KYXBhbjUuanBn-=.jpg?bcTP90.A3HT9gegE

wdlove
May 27, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by dstorey
A japanese invention for scem0 and all you ramen eaters

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_10146520/=-Windows-1253-B-b25seV9pbl9KYXBhbjUuanBn-=.jpg?bcTP90.A3HT9gegE

Do you have a link so that scem0 & others can order that? ;)

dethl
May 27, 2003, 07:57 PM
An interesting recipe my friend showed me involved the use of worstshire sauce. You make the ramen, and empty most of the water. Then add the flavor packet, then add in the sauce. Mix it all together, and it tastes pretty good.

I like ramen, but since I found out I can get instant miso cheap as well (in New Mexico of all places), I think I will eat that more. Oh yeah, paste-based miso is sooo much better than all powder-instant.

Scem0, lucky you. I want to go to Japan really badly! Maybe I will go after I graduate from college, which is in 5 years...I just graduated from high school :P.

wdlove
May 28, 2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by dethl
An interesting recipe my friend showed me involved the use of worstshire sauce. You make the ramen, and empty most of the water. Then add the flavor packet, then add in the sauce. Mix it all together, and it tastes pretty good.

I like ramen, but since I found out I can get instant miso cheap as well (in New Mexico of all places), I think I will eat that more. Oh yeah, paste-based miso is sooo much better than all powder-instant.

Scem0, lucky you. I want to go to Japan really badly! Maybe I will go after I graduate from college, which is in 5 years...I just graduated from high school :P.

Congratulations on your graduation from high school, areal milestone in life. Where do you plan to attend college? What major do you plan to pursue?

Danger! Will
May 30, 2003, 05:26 PM
But the real question is where is the closes supermarket that sells ramen near campus so you can pick some up on those nights home from school.

pEZ
May 30, 2003, 06:53 PM
I have become a self-proclaimed Ramen addict after my freshman year in college. It seriously saved me from starving a few times (because there are SOOOO many nutrients in noodles and fake bullion).

I'm gonna have to say that Sapporo Ichiban or Maruchan are my favorites, Maruchan moreso when I don't care about texture. The noodles aren't always top quality, but I can't stand top ramen for some reason. Nissin is good, but I have to go to the asian market to get them, not close to my house. Though I always pick some up when I happen to have an additional Pocky attack.

Adding worchestershire sauce and an egg to the broth after you cook and remove the noodles is really good, especially when the spices are oriental flavor. Wasabi and soy sauce added as needed (though too much soy sauce is supremely disgusting). Slivers of fresh ginger and a dash or so of black pepper is also really good, in my opinion.

Wow, I'm hungry. Wasabi noodle sounds good.

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 07:07 PM
hmmm....noddles..ima eat some now. maruchan...shrimp

alia
May 30, 2003, 07:25 PM
Nah, outta the box crunchy but into it and throw some seasoning on it...damn im hungry...im gonna go cook some nissin beef flavor ramen.

Long live Ramen!

I know someone who does this as well... it looks pretty gross. She just dumps the spice onto the ramen brick and bites into it. It's just laziness if you ask me.

I like my ramen cooked! I also like those packets of soup spices and somen noodles you can get at asian markets. Yummy. The only problem is that the instructions and ingredients are all in kanji, so sometimes it's a surprise (haven't learned any kanji yet). Once I got this REALLY spicy mushroom somen packet. My stomach was on fire afterwards (ulcers!). Wow, that was a surprise. Somen packs come with two servings to a pack, so I saved the other one for my brother. He's a real spicy-food kind of guy.

I like Japanese food because in general, the flavors are on the mild side. They are flavorful, but not overpoweringly so. Of course, I haven't been to Japan yet, so I say that having only experienced the americanized versions of Japanese food, such as sushi, raman and teppan yaki.

:)

Alia

Raiwong
May 30, 2003, 07:36 PM
hmhm I am a japanese an what weird recepies are theres...cheese?!?!? on ramen? well boiled egg (in soysauce so it becomes black), fish slices like fish ball slices, beef of course, a mushroom or two (chinese/japanese mushrooms) if you like you can add a bit of fried fish. not those italian mushrooms you put in speghetti. You'd probably want a bit nof lettuce or vegetable. Add oyster sauce to the lettuce before putting it in

To make ramen good you should cut everything into slices so you can eat it with noodles (chopsticks) thats why japanese fish slices are shaped like that.

Yeah there is even a ramen museum in japan, you can eat all sorts of foods nd ramen of course and it has exhibits of all the home famous ingredients. They can get very very complicated. It seems ramen has transformed alot in the US...cheese ramen...hmmm

For the sauce I'd recommend a bit of soysauce, and yes there is a special japanese peanut sauce that tastes very nice and you should avoid using a full miso soup base add enough so it makes a flavour to the orginal base, haven't heard anything about mayonaise. Generally avoid putting fat based stuff like cheese or maynaise...eww

Lastly put all the stuff on the top, sprinkle a bit of seaweed ( salty seasoned, not chilli) on top. Make sure the noodles are eaten before they got soaked completely otherwise they won't be slightly crispy anymore.

I suggest you guys use instant ramen as a base, then add stuff onto it. the base is actually the hardest to get right in japnese they use white carrots and many other things to make the soup. The best is the tokyo city soup, but you'd need to try that out yourself.

Raiwong
May 30, 2003, 07:40 PM
Wait I meant boil the egg in soysauce! and slice stuff paper thin, apart from the mushroom and the lettuce. The mushroom is more like a decoration thing...

Datazoid
May 30, 2003, 08:08 PM
[Sapporo] Ichiban, Mr. Noodle, Nissin [Top Ramen], Maruchan (in order from favorite to least).

scem0
May 30, 2003, 08:28 PM
arghhhhhhh I am so hungry...... no ramen....... AHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Let me kill myself now. :eek: :mad: :( :o

wdlove
May 30, 2003, 08:42 PM
arghhhhhhh I am so hungry...... no ramen....... AHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Let me kill myself now. :eek: :mad: :( :o

You mean that you pantry is bare scem0! :eek:

scem0
May 30, 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
You mean that you pantry is bare scem0! :eek:

it sure is.... now that I ate the last 3 packages of ramen. I found some in a back corner. THank the lord.

It is kind of a wierd mix though. Chilli, chicken, and beef. I only put in half the chilli package so it didn't overpower the taste of the chicken and beef. It is quite good. I am hungry no longer ;).

zed
May 30, 2003, 09:10 PM
ive had ramen twice this week..... cant say im too happy about it. I like the stuff, but it reminds me of my impoverished college days.... which werent too long ago :cool:

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 07:30 PM
it sure is.... now that I ate the last 3 packages of ramen. I found some in a back corner. THank the lord.

It is kind of a wierd mix though. Chilli, chicken, and beef. I only put in half the chilli package so it didn't overpower the taste of the chicken and beef. It is quite good. I am hungry no longer ;).

Thank goodness your Mom keeps a well stocked pantry, or we would have a starved scem0! So now you are a satisfied scem0! ;)

beatle888
May 31, 2003, 08:22 PM
this stuff has to be the worst for your health. the sodium is sickening.

springscansing
May 31, 2003, 08:24 PM
Sickening.. but SOOOO good.

tpjunkie
Jun 1, 2003, 02:32 PM
Top Ramen's chicken mushroom is by far the best flavor around...I could eat it breakfast lunch and dinner...er sometimes i do...but hey, im a poor college kid, what do you expect?

scem0
Jun 1, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
this stuff has to be the worst for your health. the sodium is sickening.

health? What's health?

;)

MacFan25
Jun 1, 2003, 02:45 PM
i had some beef flavored ramen noodles a couple days ago. they were very good. the beef flavor is real good! :)

scem0
Jun 1, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
i had some beef flavored ramen noodles a couple days ago. they were very good. the beef flavor is real good! :)

I whole-heartedly agree. Simple yet tasty. Every time I visit this thread I get hungry. I'm gunna call my mom and tell her to buy some ramen on the way home now. :p.

wdlove
Jun 1, 2003, 03:25 PM
I whole-heartedly agree. Simple yet tasty. Every time I visit this thread I get hungry. I'm gunna call my mom and tell her to buy some ramen on the way home now. :p.

I hope that you were succesful in your mission and caught your Mom in time! Never know when those Ramen attacks will hit! ;)

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by springscansing
Maruchan is better than Nissan/Top Ramen.

Ya know, the fact that you like Maruchan better than Nissan's is because Nissan spends more time making cars and trucks than noodles. Or it might have to do with the fact that their sauce mix is made from dried motor oil. Either way, it explains it logically.

Originally posted by tazo
sounds like egg drop soup :P

That's exactly what I was thinking, I'm gonna go try that now.

Danger! Will
Jun 6, 2003, 04:26 PM
Damn, it's time for some beef ramen for me. Top Ramen/Nissin.
Broken up not in the cube then drained then the seasoning added. YUM!

scem0
Jun 6, 2003, 05:16 PM
http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/shakehead.gifno no no. Try adding the seasoning ot the water, and then draining it. Be sure to add the whole packet so you have more seasoning mix with the noodles. It is much better that way. No grainy seasoning taste, and no noodles with more seasoning on them then ones w/o seasoning on them.

http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

- scem0 http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif

Danger! Will
Jun 6, 2003, 05:35 PM
Respect your elders boy!

j/k

No and, hmm no, and NO!

I only like it by breaking up the ramen cube, boiling for 4 minutes, draining 98% or so of the water, then adding the seasoning, and puting back on the burner for like 30 secs or so.

YUM!!!

If you mix the seasoning right it will be consistent.

Any further critiques to my cooking style and I will be forced not to cook the ramen and bite into it raw and add seasoning on top of the uncooked ramen.

scem0
Jun 6, 2003, 05:45 PM
http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/fragend/confused-smiley-003.gif

Fine. Eat your ramen the bad way. See if I care! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-022.gif

Danger! Will
Jun 6, 2003, 05:47 PM
Don't stick your tounge out at me!!!

*SLAP!

wdlove
Jun 6, 2003, 06:26 PM
Boys boys you can go to your corner now! :p As long as you are happy with how you fix the Ramen Noodles, that is afterall what really counts. I believe in cooking to taste!

Danger! Will
Jun 6, 2003, 06:30 PM
Sorry schemo

I didn't mean to hit a minor...on purpose that is.

scem0
Jun 6, 2003, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry too Danger whill* http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/traurig/sad-smiley-008.gif.

*it looks like we are adding h's to names today. ;):p

wdlove
Jun 6, 2003, 07:30 PM
Thank you Danger Will! & scem0 so glad that you have made up. Now doesn't it feel better! :p

Huked on Fonick
Jun 6, 2003, 09:52 PM
There both gross american Ramens

Might i reconmend www.ramencity.com

Might i also reconmend that you try the spicy 24 pack sampler, allthough there all good....(its the cheepest for what you get) shipping is free arrives normally within a week.

i have tried every kind of ramen on that sight(i go to boarding school we live off the stuff) and there good, just varing levels(beets the pants off american ramen)..... also to make it last longer might i reconmend useing one packet of asian ramen and 1/2 packet of american noodes(no broth)...

wdlove
Jun 7, 2003, 11:55 AM
Huked on Fonick, don't they feed you at your boarding school? :p Or is it that a growing boy is hungry more often than food is offered?

scem0
Jun 7, 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick
There both gross american Ramens

i have tried every kind of ramen on that sight(i go to boarding school we live off the stuff) and there good, just varing levels(beets the pants off american ramen)..... also to make it last longer might i reconmend useing one packet of asian ramen and 1/2 packet of american noodes(no broth)...

But I'm a sucker for cheap, 'gross' American Food. http://www.blizzforums.com/misc.php?action=getsmilies&s=#. I swear. I could live of Schlotzsky's, Wendy's, and Ramen Noodles. $2.00 pizzas at Schlotzsky's, $0.99 junior bacon cheeseburgers at Wendy's, and 10 cent packages of Ramen can beat a $15.00 plate of escargot any day. Most people probably disagree. But I don't think it gets any better than cheap American food.

And, yes, I know it's unhealthy. :D

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s16/smilies-3823.png

tazo
Jun 7, 2003, 10:42 PM
But I'm a sucker for cheap, 'gross' American Food. http://www.blizzforums.com/misc.php?action=getsmilies&s=#. I swear. I could live of Schlotzsky's, Wendy's, and Ramen Noodles. $2.00 pizzas at Schlotzsky's, $0.99 junior bacon cheeseburgers at Wendy's, and 10 cent packages of Ramen can beat a $15.00 plate of escargot any day. Most people probably disagree. But I don't think it gets any better than cheap American food.

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s16/smilies-3823.png

I will much take any of my cooking over fast food.

scem0
Jun 7, 2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by tazo
I will much take any of my cooking over fast food.

so would I if you were cooking Ramen Noodles..... http://www.my-smileys.de/laugh.gif

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

pEZ
Jun 7, 2003, 11:02 PM

Schlotzsky's and Wendy's rock my world. "I'll have a Deluxe Original on Sourdough please....."
".......and an extra Frosty."

WinterMute
Jun 8, 2003, 11:30 AM
I haven't eaten Ramen noodles for years, we have Pot Noodle in the UK, absolutely no competition:p

I was in Japan in 1981, on Okinawa mostly training in Kenewa Enoda's dojo, but I spent a few days in Tokyo either side of the stay, I can't remember if I had Ramen then, ate lots of noodles though.

Got into Ramen when I was in the US in the mid/late 80's, you can get 'em in Japanese supermarkets over here, but its a schlepp:D

wdlove
Jun 8, 2003, 07:38 PM
so would I if you were cooking Ramen Noodles..... http://www.my-smileys.de/laugh.gif

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

The Ramen is definitely healthier than alot of the fast food, it be very damaging to the arteries!

I think that home cooked if preferable!

Danger! Will
Jun 8, 2003, 10:17 PM
Sorry bro...scem0 with no added "h" preservative