View Full Version : Is that all?

zoran
Jan 10, 2007, 04:29 AM
Apple TV
iPhone 1
iPhone 2
iPhone 3

This is not enough

Where are the announcements regarding the MacPros, the Displays n all?

Steve dont dissapoint us this time!

liketom
Jan 10, 2007, 04:41 AM
don't worry - there will be more in the coming weeks and months.

Moo-Boo
Jan 10, 2007, 04:48 AM
don't worry - there will be more in the coming weeks and months.

Gee, I hope so...I need something decent to save up for and look forward to. (Yes, I do need to get a life, but the Mac will do fine until I get one!)

liketom
Jan 10, 2007, 04:54 AM
Gee, I hope so...I need something decent to save up for and look forward to. (Yes, I do need to get a life, but the Mac will do fine until I get one!)

well for the year we might have :

iLife - Jan- March
10.5 Leopard March-June
Final Cut Studio update NAB April
Shake replacement NAB April
Aperture update NAB April
new iPods March & Sept
Mac Mini upgrade April
MacBook upgrade April
Mac Pro upgrade NAB April
MacBook Pro upgrade NAB April
Cinema Display upgrade NAB April

zoran
Jan 10, 2007, 05:25 AM
Well i was waiting for a long time to see something come out and thought that MacWorld would be it, but i guess it wasnt worth waiting. They dissapointed us i guess. If they dont show us something now its not worth waiting until April or whenever they choose to show us.
Its now or never!

Moo-Boo
Jan 10, 2007, 05:35 AM
Well i was waiting for a long time to see something come out and thought that MacWorld would be it, but i guess it wasnt worth waiting. They dissapointed us i guess. If they dont show us something now its not worth waiting until April or whenever they choose to show us.
Its now or never!

Yeah, I agree, that's way too long. Three months is a long time in this technocentric world. My goodness, even Vista's beginning to look almost nice!:eek:

zoran
Jan 10, 2007, 05:55 AM
So what do u think guys in the next few days that are left of macworld is there any chance we might see some more new stuff coming up?

Moo-Boo
Jan 10, 2007, 05:58 AM

iLife - Jan- March
10.5 Leopard March-June
new iPods March & Sept
Mac Mini upgrade April
MacBook upgrade April

You certainly know your Apple products...I'm impressed! i have been humming and harring since May of 2006 when the MacBook was released. It's a beautiful looking product, and performs admirably on most tasks. But what brings me down and stops me from purchasing one (hence the retro hardware list on my signature) is the lack of discreet graphics card. I hope in April when the update does occur, they shove in a nice graphics card, 64MB would be just fine. I'm hoping that by then, my initial hang ups on the Intel chip will have dissipated.

Moo-Boo
Jan 10, 2007, 06:03 AM
So what do u think guys in the next few days that are left of macworld is there any chance we might see some more new stuff coming up?

Stevie Baby always loves his big bangs, and he probably thought he got enough of that for his buck when he announced his iPhone. I would LOVE it if his "...one more thing..." did take place near the end of the expo. But I'm not confident. But that's not to say some fun stuff could hit us in the next few days. It's only the first day and you've gotta give the kids their money's worth. Perhaps Stevie Baby is a better showman than I give him credit for and he won't disappoint us...

dllavaneras
Jan 10, 2007, 06:07 AM
My goodness, even Vista's beginning to look almost nice!:eek:

:eek: Someone give this member a new iMac, stat!

Henri Gaudier
Jan 10, 2007, 06:29 AM
"It's going to be big even by our standards!"

Apple are so adept at marketing they cant tell the truth anymore. It wasn't big it was completely disappointing. They should quit these annual circuses. It's only making it difficult for them to time new stuff for release to coincide with these megaflop conferences.

Well at least they didn't announce the ditching of Intel for Linux XXXX Ha!

50 inch monitors ... 8 core ..... bollocks.

DamnDJ
Jan 10, 2007, 12:02 PM
I still remember the pre-teaser slogans. "Way beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond".

Yah right.

bbydon
Jan 10, 2007, 12:43 PM
yeah probably next month will be the quad
then march all the software stuff.
april santa rosa chips
october will be the real widescreen ipod....
hmmm what else
january iphone nano?

just guessing though

dazzer21
Jan 10, 2007, 12:50 PM
Did I misread the coverage or did SJ not say at the start something like "today we'll just be talking about the Mac"? Was that part of the script, 'cos looking at what happened afterwards, i would say not...

failsafe1
Jan 10, 2007, 12:51 PM
No that is not all. I don't have a crystal ball but the year is young. I was impressed with the stuff yesterday. I was glad we did not see a simple rehash of processor updates and iLife announcements. Leopard is on the way and all the innovation it will bring. Eight core processors are coming. Things are good.

tilman
Jan 10, 2007, 12:52 PM

Very unlikely. Early in the keynote, Steve said that he won't talk about the Mac today, but there will be plenty of new things for the Mac in the next couple of months.

clintob
Jan 10, 2007, 12:56 PM
What is wrong with the people on this board??

I'm sorry, but you all need to get a grip. The announcement of the iPhone, as it was demoed, is one of the most impressive devices in the last decade. It's got nothing to do with marketing or hyperbole... it's simply an incredible device that is leaps and bounds better than anything out now or in the foreseeable future.

This is the iPod for PDAs. It's taken the best of everything out now, combined it, markedly improved the internet/mail capability, and of course added Apple's signature ease of use and "slick" factor to take the next step.

If you really expected them to water down this announcement by piling on new computer hardware, software updates, and all of the usual suspects you're crazy. The hardware was just updated a few months ago, and they've already given a preview of Leopard and said it will be out in the Spring. Relax people... you will get updates to hardware, software, and OS, and all within the next month or two. Stop being ridiculous.

CellarDoor
Jan 10, 2007, 12:59 PM

I'm sorry, but you all need to get a grip. The announcement of the iPhone, as it was demoed, is one of the most impressive devices in the last decade. It's got nothing to do with marketing or hyperbole... it's simply an incredible device that is leaps and bounds better than anything out now or in the foreseeable future.

This is the iPod for PDAs. It's taken the best of everything out now, combined it, markedly improved the internet/mail capability, and of course added Apple's signature ease of use and "slick" factor to take the next step.

If you really expected them to water down this announcement by piling on new computer hardware, software updates, and all of the usual suspects you're crazy. The hardware was just updated a few months ago, and they've already given a preview of Leopard and said it will be out in the Spring. Relax people... you will get updates to hardware, software, and OS, and all within the next month or two. Stop being ridiculous.

WORD!

ready2switch
Jan 10, 2007, 01:05 PM

Yes, but this was the MacWorld Keynote, not some random press event to unveil the iPhone. 2 hours and all we get is a tv box, a phone (albeit a really great phone), and a name change. I agree with Henri Gaudier. They should stop the pre-planned annual events and just do release events. 2 hours at a special invitation unveiling wouldn't have diminished the iPhone at all, but not talking about Macs at MacWorld does seem diminishing to me.

erova
Jan 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
Clintob and CellarDoor are spot on and conversations such as this really only prove that a lot of the people on this board are on the outer-reaches of the fringe market and out of touch with the business of Apple Inc.

let's see, this morning I've seen television stories -- not ads -- on CNet, NBC, ABC, CBS, and CNN. I've read about the iphone in the WSJ and in today's Washington Post.

And if you guys have noticed, AAPL stock has surged since yesterday.

Tell me, o Apple devotees, could we expect such results if you guys got your displays and a Final Cut update that you all are clamoring for?

The big picture that we can now envison is a lot more intriguing for Apple as a company and us as technology consumers based on yesterday's news--far more so that a speed bump in another computer...

Let's keep in mind that AAPL stock has almost reliably tanked after every mac world when everyone on here is lusting after a few more GHZ out of their processors or a new color of ipod--the last two days should show just how out of touch some of us really are...

ready2switch
Jan 10, 2007, 01:11 PM
Clintob and CellarDoor are spot on and conversations such as this really only prove that a lot of the people on this board are on the outer-reaches of the fringe market and out of touch with the business of Apple Inc.

let's see, this morning I've seen television stories -- not ads -- on CNet, NBC, ABC, CBS, and CNN. I've read about the iphone in the WSJ and in today's Washington Post.

And if you guys have noticed, AAPL stock has surged since yesterday.

Tell me, o Apple devotees, could we expect such results if you guys got your displays and a Final Cut update that you all are clamoring for?

The big picture that we can now envison is a lot more intriguing for Apple as a company and us as technology consumers based on yesterday's news--far more so that a speed bump in another computer...

Let's keep in mind that AAPL stock has almost reliably tanked after every mac world when everyone on here is lusting after a few more GHZ out of their processors or a new color of ipod--the last two days should show just how out of touch some of us really are...

Again, all things that still would have happened at a 2 hour special invitation only unveiling. People who seem (or are) disappointed are disappointed because the MacWorld Keynote had nothing to do with Macs.

Not to mention, nothing is even available yet.

iMeowbot
Jan 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
Did I misread the coverage or did SJ not say at the start something like "today we'll just be talking about the Mac"? Was that part of the script, 'cos looking at what happened afterwards, i would say not...
That was a misquote in the macrumorslive transcript. What he really said:

So, 2007 is going to be a great year for the Mac, but this is all we're going to talk about the Mac today, we're going to move on to some other things, and over the course of the next several months we're going to roll out some awesome stuff for the Mac. But for today, we're going to move on.

It's rambly and disjointed, but that's how he talks.

Shagrat
Jan 10, 2007, 02:07 PM

iLife - Jan- March
10.5 Leopard March-June
new iPods March & Sept
Mac Mini upgrade April
MacBook upgrade April

And Logic 8????

A deafening silence re this!

Shagrat
Jan 10, 2007, 02:10 PM
last i can find re Logic here at Macrumors is...

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060927192051.shtml

ie nothing since September...

zoran
Jan 12, 2007, 09:44 AM

Whats wrong with us in this board? apparently the iphone isnt really what we all needed. Aparently we need more computers and not all in one devices, at least i dont care about the iphone, yeah its great but i dont need it. And u know what im tired of the "birth of needs" that all companies are supplying us. I only want a computer to do my job and thats a mac, not an iphone, my K730 sony ericson is enough for me.

zoran
Jan 12, 2007, 09:47 AM
Oh and something else, whats going on the ret of the days that MWexpo is on? Any chance Steve might say something about the octo or any other new announcements on Friday last day??

clintob
Jan 12, 2007, 10:45 AM
Whats wrong with us in this board? apparently the iphone isnt really what we all needed. Aparently we need more computers and not all in one devices, at least i dont care about the iphone, yeah its great but i dont need it. And u know what im tired of the "birth of needs" that all companies are supplying us. I only want a computer to do my job and thats a mac, not an iphone, my K730 sony ericson is enough for me.

But that's exactly my point. People on here spout off constantly about what they "need" and "don't need", and how Apple is constantly letting them down. We all seem to casually forget that Apple has consistently updated their computer line over the past few years, with very admirable regularity. The Macbook and MBP were JUST updated a few months ago. It's not like it has been 12 or 15 months between updates.

So just because you personally don't have any interest in the iPhone doesn't mean that the vast majority of consumers don't. As someone mentioned above - take a peak at Apple's stock, or at any major newspaper or news outlet. The iPhone is very much a wanted and anticipated device. So don't act like the majority of people are upset about MacWorld. Most of us are impressed and happy.

We all fall into this trap of expecting things 5 minutes ago. We've already been told... Leopard in the Spring. And we were given a preview. So why does everyone expect to get more than what were promised? You will get Leopard (and consequently iLife and iWork) within the next couple of months. And I'm sure around the sime timeframe you will get new hardware to go along with it. Let's not overlook the fact that a device like the iPhone, for all it's potentitial shortcomings, is truly revolutionary in many ways and likely took a HUGE team of engineers a LOT of time to complete. Hardware might have gone on hold for a little while, and I for one am fine with that. And oh by the way, I'm in the majority here.

My Dual G5 from almost 3 years ago is plenty of computer, and I do a lot of very high-end graphics/imaging work. So let's not act as if Macs are in some way outdated. They are still top of the line, even without updates.

Anuba
Jan 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
My Dual G5 from almost 3 years ago is plenty of computer, and I do a lot of very high-end graphics/imaging work. So let's not act as if Macs are in some way outdated. They are still top of the line, even without updates.
Yeah. I guess the difference is that with the G-series processors by IBM, and the Motorola ones earlier, the processors were exclusive to Apple, thus the announcement of new processors was synonymous with the introduction of new computers.

Now that they use Intel, you can observe the processor manufacturer independently of Apple. Apple will never again have that "Pentium Toaster" advantage, because whatever Intel comes up with it will go into PCs and Macs alike. So I guess this will always lead to some frustration in the Mac camp, because more often than not, some PC manufacturer will offer that new processor before Apple. And the PC manufacturer will announce a model with that CPU immediately, they won't save it for some fancy Keynote.

A couple of years back I read some post here by a guy who was frustrated with the PowerBook G4s, you know, they were stuck in limbo forever with that slow-as-molasses front side bus while PC notebooks with Centrino processors were smokin'. So someone asked "do you need a G5 PowerBook that bad?" and he responded: "Nah, I don't want one, I just want Mac to be the fastest again". So apparently there are people who were spoiled in the Pentium Toaster days and now they can't sleep unless they know Macs have faster CPUs than everyone else. I'm guessing some of the frustration can be traced back to that.

scotpole
Jan 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
It was great seeing the demo of the I phone. The problem remains that the first I phone will be sold in June. Until this time the I phone is vapor ware.

Secondly and perhaps a new thread "What to name Apple's new personal information device," Cisco has the copyright for the Iphone nomenclature, and may force Apple to rename the Iphone. When Apple introduced the Imac they may have copyrighted the I designation to other devices, i.e. the Ibook, Ipod, and Iphone. In that case they may be able to use the Iphone designation. The lawyers are calculating their billing schedules.

Finally, Leopard et al, Apple wants Microsoft to introduce Vista. Much like the Iphone, Apple has been very secretive about some of the features of Leopard. Apple wants Vista released so Microsoft will not copy some of the new features of Leopard or promise to add these features in a scheduled service pack.

If I had to rename the Iphone I would call it the U Puck. It looks like a puck floating across the ice of the internet and it has so many Unifying features of our informational lives.

Bettstkd
Jan 12, 2007, 01:54 PM
OK. With the exception of the last few posts- this thread is really from a very small segment of the Apple base. Did anyone notice what Steve Jobs said at the end of the keynote? That "Apple Inc." is their new name? That they are no longer "Apple Computer Inc."? That's rather significant.

It means they are branching out. They are about a WHOLE lot more than just computers. Yes, the Mac is still very central to their whole future and they will devote significant time to it, they have to since everything they are designing is managed by the software they develop with it (iTunes... or whatever they call it when they use it to sync the iPhone).

So, yes, this keynote focused on things other than the Mac. But that makes sense. Read the threads on Steve Jobs being arrogant. They have MANY great comments on this same issue.

The keynote was already 2 hours long- adding anything (iLife, Leopard, iWorks, displays, Final Cut, etc.) would have made it closer to 3 hours long. Not reasonable-that's too much.
The focus was INTENTIONALLY on the iPhone- it's a HUGE launch for Apple. If hey had given the simple- and typical- song and dance to these other products it would have detracted from the iPhone. They had to bend over backwards to get Cingular to agree to the deal- I've even read they had to commit to this project for a minimum of 2 years (just like we do for a cheaper phone, humorously enough). That's an enormous amount of $ to commit to project that is breaking into a new field for them. Much bigger than the iPod was in it's day.

Finally- people get so "me" focused. Just because it wasn't what you personally wanted to hear doesn't make it a bad keynote. It was great for those who had been waiting for an iPhone. I personally won't buy one for a decade simply due to cost. But I was still interested and happy for Apple because it will make them a stronger company, which will only help them to improve the Mac and software lines in the long run.

zoran
Jan 12, 2007, 02:00 PM
clintob
i was never complaining about Leopard, spring is good for me although im quite sure that it will be released sooner. Mainly what intrested me, was the coming of octo and that only for the reduction of the quads price, after all there are no apps yet to manage 8cores, at least not the ones that i work with! Also another prime upgrade would be the displays... they better come soon or im getting an EISO! :D

MacsAttack
Jan 12, 2007, 03:02 PM
MacWorld

No Macs

New products are for the US market - so much for the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

:D

aneks
Jan 13, 2007, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by liketom View Post

iLife - Jan- March
10.5 Leopard March-June
new iPods March & Sept
Mac Mini upgrade April
MacBook upgrade April

I would like to beleive that apple will show the new final cut studio at NAB and more than likely will show integrated motion and something else targeted at the DI market since they have invested so heavily in thelast 12monhts, but I am unsure about Shake replacement, it seems that the team is keeping this puppy very close to its chest. Not enough folks are freaking out and leaving the Shake boat and Apple know it !

Hardware updates will likely leak out during the course of the year.