PDA

View Full Version : Does the iPhone suck or what?

farqueue
Jan 10, 2007, 05:00 AM
Simple Q
Yes Or No

bartelby
Jan 10, 2007, 05:02 AM
NO.

It's more than I was expecting.

liketom
Jan 10, 2007, 05:02 AM
i'm glad we have these poll's - sort of make up my mind for me

I think the world likes the iPhone - save your time doing another poll

o and you forgot the word OFFICIAL :D

Queso
Jan 10, 2007, 05:03 AM
No, it's a great bit of kit. Comparable with the best phones out there in terms of features, and with Apple's attention to interface design.

Scarlet Fever
Jan 10, 2007, 05:05 AM
what makes you think it sucks? Intuitive and fresh user interface, thin, feature-packed, etc.

If I could change it, i would make it available in colours (white, silver, green and blue), put a small cam on the front for video conferences, drop the price a bit, and make it available internationally.

phungy
Jan 10, 2007, 05:06 AM
Does NOT suck yet the price is a bit high. Maybe if it were $400 for the 4GB and $500 for the 8GB.

skunk
Jan 10, 2007, 05:07 AM
I vote for "what".

Chundles
Jan 10, 2007, 05:07 AM
what makes you think it sucks? Intuitive and fresh user interface, thin, feature-packed, etc.

If I could change it, i would make it available in colours (white, silver, green and blue), put a small cam on the front for video conferences, drop the price a bit, and make it available internationally.

I second that, video camera on the front and bung in 3G capabilities for us when we get it in 2008.

farqueue
Jan 10, 2007, 05:08 AM
NO.

It's more than I was expecting.

Sure... but isnt it too much for the avg user to handle?

i'm glad we have these poll's - sort of make up my mind for me

I think the world likes the iPhone - save your time doing another poll

o and you forgot the word OFFICIAL :D

Cheers

No, it's a great bit of kit. Comparable with the best phones out there in terms of features, and with Apple's attention to interface design.

Comparable to those 4 ****** smart phones :rolleyes:

I was expecting video conferencing, 3g and all that basic stuff with a 1000% slicker interface and of course the widescreen ipod which is great. The UI for WS ipod isnt that great....

i thought he had a tuff time typing a txt... i txt faster with buttons than him trying to type something simple:D

bartelby
Jan 10, 2007, 05:10 AM
Sure... but isnt it too much for the avg user to handle?

They don't have to use it all though do they?

Cybix
Jan 10, 2007, 05:11 AM
from what I can see, it's awesome...

I think people need to get over the whole 'oh no, cingular' thing... it's driving everyone mad... GET OVER IT.

sheesh.

my visa is waiting, much like chundles no doubt :)

bartelby
Jan 10, 2007, 05:15 AM
I think one of the factors is that in different countries have differnt ways the contracts work.

In the UK with a decent monthly contract (over 35 per month) even expensive phones only cost, up to, 50.
So the iPhone looks very attractive.

Chundles
Jan 10, 2007, 05:17 AM
from what I can see, it's awesome...

I think people need to get over the whole 'oh no, cingular' thing... it's driving everyone mad... GET OVER IT.

sheesh.

my visa is waiting, much like chundles no doubt :)

Not really, it's a fantastic bit of kit but I'm not a "phone guy." I hate talking on phones, find it hard to concentrate unless people are looking at me and I can gauge their emotions etc. If I were to buy an Apple phone it would be a nano form-factor with no camera, no email, no internet, just a simple phone with buttons and a screen and room for some music. And no, not a moto iTunes phone - it has to at least work well.

a456
Jan 10, 2007, 05:37 AM
I'm not a "phone guy."

Neither am I, that's why I want an iPhone. Text messaging and getting emails, etc. off an ordinary mobile phone drives me up the wall. So much so that I never use anything but the voice facility. But if I could make myself email contactable wherever I am and surf the web and even word process I would be less tied to my desk.

This is an important step for people that are self-employed and work from home etc. and no doubt for companies as well. A phone like this puts you ahead of the game. In addition this is a technology that opens up a whole new range of possibilities.

I want to know a couple things though:

1) What does it mean that it runs OS X. Does this mean that eventually any program (depending on hard drive space) will run on this machine? Surely, when you get beyond Calendar and Notes they will have to be 'lite' programs because this thing can't possibly have the CPU processing power to run anything. Will iWork find its way onto this machine?

2) What are the contract options going to be in two years time. How much is this piece of kit really going to keep on costing me in comparison to my pay as you go Virgin Mobile that costs a couple of pounds a month?

lamerlizer
Jan 10, 2007, 06:29 AM
no it doesn't suck but i was hoping for a new ipod with those cool features.:)

Queso
Jan 10, 2007, 06:43 AM
no it doesn't suck but i was hoping for a new ipod with those cool features.:)
I don't think that'll be coming. Steve views it as where the puck is :(

MattyMac
Jan 10, 2007, 08:00 AM
I vote for "what".

hahah I second that!

Compile 'em all
Jan 10, 2007, 08:09 AM
I will buy one. It is an Apple phone for crying out loud :cool:

dextertangocci
Jan 10, 2007, 09:56 AM
I'm just angry that Apple didn't make it unlocked. In Europe, Asia and South Africa, we can just buy a phone and put a simcard in it from whatever network provider we choose, which is, IMO, the way it should be. Do you guys actually like being locked in to a network provider? Now I have to wait until 2008 or 2009 to get the iPhone:(

Anyway, I LOVE the iPhone, much more than I expected. I thought there was nothing left to add to mobile phones, Im happy I was wrong:)

FleurDuMal
Jan 10, 2007, 10:05 AM
It may suck. But so does your spelling.

Anyway, the iPhone looks like a great piece of kit. It's just that I will never be able to afford it.

glhiii
Jan 10, 2007, 10:13 AM
Closed. No way to add new programs or games -- how smart is that? Other phones (like the Treo) have zillions of applications.

Swarmlord
Jan 10, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm not a big phone person, so I won't be buying this particular version, but I think that it's a great product. I wasn't as impressed with the iTV though.

JMax1
Jan 10, 2007, 10:28 AM
NOOOOOooooo

Remember that it's a 3-part product. If you're saying the carrier sucks, then it's still 66.666666% good. That's passing. As an iPod it looks great. As a mobile web/computer/tablet thingy, it looks very impressive, but it's tough to make judgements on that without any outside reviews yet. Give it time. Look at how stinky the 1G iPod is, compared to today, 5-6 years later. It's come a long way, and still fairly consistent with its original design. Yes, HD size will improve. Keeping it thin has its price.

Besides, with its battery life, you cant even listen to all 8gigs of music before having to dock and recharge. Might as well put different music and movies on at the same time. No biggie.

It's still very remarkable, and I was amazed at the 200+ patents for the product. And Steve mentioned in the keynote he will keep them secret.... was that a threat? Anyone else catch that?

LaFouinard
Jan 10, 2007, 11:59 AM
I'm still ranting at people about how wonderful it is. I'd have to agree that it really should be 3g along with video phone calling but for me these are minor complaints given how gorgeous it is.

Don't know about 5 years ahead but ahead of every other phone in existence it most certainly is, hell it blows them out of the water. Costs it though but then Apple stuff is never cheap I suppose

bousozoku
Jan 10, 2007, 12:09 PM
It is quite good. I won't say great or give it a 10 but the user interface alone puts it up past the rest of the phones out there.

I think it's sad that it doesn't have 3G data access but being locked into a certain provider is very much Apple. Changing their name didn't mean changing their habits. They want to assure a certain quality of service and they negotiated with one provider. It's just like Earthlink providing support for .Mac. You don't get a choice.

The phone obviously could use some games and other applications and hopefully by June 2007, they'll show that some of that is available. If they have a deal to put Skype on the phone so that you can use it like current Skype-enabled WiFi phones, all the better.

It's not the end-all-be-all phone but it's the start of one.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
It doesn't suck at all, IMO. I'm going to get one as soon as they're available in Norway. Probably still going to hang onto my nano, and only use the smart phone features (plus the camera for image "note-to-self"s), just as I use my SE520i, only better. :)

Lunja
Jan 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
It's cool, but too expensive.

I also get the feeling that Apple havn't gone as far as they can so that they have some room for updates in the future. I mean, why is there no camera on the front for video messaging?

Silentwave
Jan 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
I say no. And remember, for a Rev. A product, this will be insane. The iPod 1G was not for everyone- neither will iPhone 1G. but the 2nd or 3rd gen will always be adding more features and fixing any problems some might have for it until it's as smooth and complete as modern iPods have become.

shunpike
Jan 11, 2007, 10:02 AM
I voted no because it is a fantastic piece of Kit - although a bit pricey i will buy it after Christmas next year.

2 Questions:

how much of a problem are finger prints?
how do contracts work in the US? - Is it the same as in England?

Lunja
Jan 11, 2007, 02:56 PM
how do contracts work in the US? - Is it the same as in England?

Apparently the contract Jobs was talking about is just an agreement with Cingular to pay them for two years. There isn't actually any call time, SMS, Video messaging etc included!

Who do we think will carry it in the UK? Obvious choice is "3" I would have said...

Oh, and I've decided that I WILL get one- just in 3 years and from eBay :D

MeWannaMac
Jan 25, 2007, 11:21 PM
I cannot believe you think the iPhone sucks!! :eek:

SMM
Jan 25, 2007, 11:25 PM
Simple Q
Yes Or No

The friggin' thing has not even been manufactured yet. I think this is closer to Stupid Q. In that case, the answer is YES.