PDA

View Full Version : TV shows in 720p?

Flyinace2000
Jan 10, 2007, 06:39 AM
When will shows on the ITS become available in 720p. I have $50+ in gift cards to use, but i would rather wait a few weeks and get better quality videos.

-Will

Chundles
Jan 10, 2007, 06:42 AM
When will shows on the ITS become available in 720p. I have $50+ in gift cards to use, but i would rather wait a few weeks and get better quality videos.

-Will

Not for a very long time I would think. Most Macs in the wild today (G4s and single-proc G5s - no, Intel Macs are not the majority) can't even play 720p video. It looks like a slideshow on my iBook.

Scarpad
Jan 10, 2007, 07:09 AM
Not for a very long time I would think. Most Macs in the wild today (G4s and single-proc G5s - no, Intel Macs are not the majority) can't even play 720p video. It looks like a slideshow on my iBook.

But does Apple TV have the Horse power to play it? Since it looks like all ATV does is copy your content down the ATV's Hard Drive and Plays it, does the processing power of the ATV have enough to play these files smoothly?

aj98
Jan 10, 2007, 09:11 AM

Beg to differ.

Assuming you are not performing any processor intensive stuff in the background, you have at least 512mb ram, and a 128 video card,
ny Mac 867mhz and over should be able to play back 720p without stuttering.

Graduate to dual 1ghz or better, 1080 playback is seamless, and iLife HD apps will work.

I tested this theory with some of the early downloadable HD clips from the QT site. On the 867, any 720 played clean, but 1080 clip jerked and paused. (but audio played correctly)

On a dual 1, both played acceptably.
On a dual 1.42, both played well at fullscreen on a (clear) Cinema 23.

Multiple articles in Apples support section state a G4 1ghz w/ 512 ram is required for HD applications.

iLife system requirements:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93634