Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
I know this is probably way out of my price range, but I was just wondering hypothetically speaking, if this would work:

IBM makes this kick-ass Unix workstation called the Model 6E4 Workstation. It has either single or dual 1.2 ghz. or 1.45 ghz. Power4 processors, plus a whopping 8MB of L3 cache per proc. It also supports up to 16GB of RAM and 587GB of internal disk storage.

There's this piece of software out there called Mac on Linux. It lets you run OS X on any Linux PowerPC based system.

Although this isn't the most elegant solution, and you don't get the nice Apple design work that goes into their systems, it should blow the doors off of even a dual 1.42ghz. PowerMac.

Has anyone tried this? I don't have $10,000 or so to burn, but if money were no object, it seriously could be done.

Thoughts?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i've been having a look around the IBM website a bit lately, and i've been wondering what the heck is a Power4 processor, and where does it fit in with the G3, G4 etc?

that 6E4 Workstation that you're hypothetically thinking about putting OS X on, could it even run games and other apps? it's 64-bit, right? but is it backward compatible with all the 32-bit software that is around now, like Photoshop etc?

if you could use all the current software and games on it, dude, that would kick ass! :D

i doubt that anyone would have gotten one of them just to put OS X on it and use as a Mac, but it sure would be interesting if someone did!

mathiasr

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2003
Strasbourg, France
Originally posted by cb911
i've been having a look around the IBM website a bit lately, and i've been wondering what the heck is a Power4 processor, and where does it fit in with the G3, G4 etc?
POWER4(+) are dual core 64 bits CPUs, the PowerPC 970 is based on one of these core, plus AltiVec, minus L3 cache logic and with a trimed down L2 cache.

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/461/tendler.html

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ibmpower4/

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/hardware/whitepapers/power4.html

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
you also now realize that the IBM Power4 wouldn't be a machine to run OSX......

It be good for development or a UNIX server though...the key thing that the Power4 is missing is the AltiVec unit, but then UNIX apps wouldn't need it ;)

D

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
you also now realize that the IBM Power4 wouldn't be a machine to run OSX......

It be good for development or a UNIX server though...the key thing that the Power4 is missing is the AltiVec unit, but then UNIX apps wouldn't need it ;)

D
But even without Altivec, it would probably still run circles around a PowerMac in non-Altivec applications, which, let's face it, is probably 90% of the applications out there. Not only that, Mac on Linux is not an emulation package, it is a virtualization package. Because the Power4 processor can run 32 and 64-bit PowerPC applications natively, there's no performance hit.

As someone mentioned earlier, the 970 will be a consumer version of the Power4 processor. Basically, the Power4 processor has dual cores, the 970 only has one core. Plus, the 970 has no on-die L3 cache (Apple will probably implement it on the chipset), where the Power4 has a whopping 8MB on-die L3 cache.

This sucker would scream on most apps, and it would probably even give a dual 1.42 a run for it's money on Altivec apps, just with sheer processing power and bus speed alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.