PDA

View Full Version : Moving To Chicago!!!!!!

trebblekicked
May 13, 2003, 01:17 AM
After seven months of decision making and financial planning, my sketch comedy group is moving to Chicago this September. I'll be commuting back to Pgh for business a week out of every month, but the primary reason for the move is for our sketch group to take the next step. i'm bursting with aniticipation. i have family and friends there, but i still know very little about it (aside from the fact that it has a good comedy scene and an apple store, which in and of itself is plenty)

So i come asking advice. Where to live? (looking for a loft if possible, nice affordable area) DSL/Cable services? Cost of Living? What should i know before i go?

Thanks for anything you can offer.:)

Taft
May 13, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by trebblekicked

So i come asking advice. Where to live? (looking for a loft if possible, nice affordable area) DSL/Cable services? Cost of Living? What should i know before i go?

Thanks for anything you can offer.:)

First, drop me a line and let me know when and where you guys are playing. I'd like to catch a show.

For the neighborhoods and a place to live...tough decision. For affordable, I'd stay out of Gold Coast, Streeterville, River North, The Loop, Lincoln Park, the South end of Lakeview and Wicker Park. They are very nice neighborhoods, but tend to be quite pricey. Lakeview and Wicker Park and Bucktown still have some nice places for a reasonable amount of money, though, so don't exclude them totally. I like Roscoe Village, North Lakeview (North Center-ish), Lincoln Square, River West, Ukranian Village, and to a lesser extent Uptown, Rogers Park and Hyde Park (the only reason I don't like Hyde Park as much is because of its isolation from downtown and the "fun" areas of the city.

Also, you could try a near Suburb like Evanston or Oak Park. Those two burbs are very close to the city and still have a slightly city feel while still maintaining some separation from Chicago proper.

Cost of living may be a factor for you. Judging by a few sites I've seen, cost of living in Chicago is about 1.5 times that of Pittsburgh. (Try a calculator here: http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html). That could be a significant amount. But Chicago is like a lot of cities in that you can make decisions that can significantly curb costs. You said you are looking for an affordable loft and that could keep the costs way down. But nonetheless, I'd imagine you'll end up paying a bit more for just about everything in this city.

For a good place with listings I'd try www.chireader.com/spacefinder or www.chicagotribune.com

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Taft

Giaguara
May 13, 2003, 12:31 PM
some of the 15 min from loop attached neighbor cities are nice ... like oak park and other * parks and *woods. faster to get to loop than north chicago, you can live better and more spacey on the same money, and public transport is good, the zone is clean (vs south or west chicago areas) .. the neighborhoods have big differences. like i guess everywhere.

our neighbor here has covad's net.. it's pretty fast and costs more than whatwasitwagainwewereusign.. they don't have a passw so i'm getting a free boost to my surfing speed (pc users,.. dang!)

welcome to chicago. :)

Taft
May 13, 2003, 12:53 PM
Also, there are a few sites that have nice little neighborhood reviews and summaries.

Heres one: http://chicago.citysearch.com/feature/15797/

And another:
http://www.chicago-neighborhoods.net/neighborhoods.php

And another (less valuable site):
http://chicago.about.com/library/weekly/aa071700a.htm

Theres a lot of info out there...

Taft

garzy
May 13, 2003, 01:29 PM
chicago is an awesome city

one great thing about it is that you find a burrito place pretty much anywhere

guitargeek
May 13, 2003, 01:31 PM
Moving To Chicago!!!!!!

Sorry but I can't take you
Goin' down, goin' down down....

*ahem*

pardon the interuption everyone.

zimv20
May 14, 2003, 01:26 AM
After seven months of decision making and financial planning, my sketch comedy group is moving to Chicago this September.

congrats. i do theater here (incl. sketch comedy and improv) so give me a shout once you move.

trebblekicked
May 14, 2003, 01:56 AM
thanks for the help, guys...

i like what i hear about wicker park., and i've found some good sized lofts there which might work (we kind of want to have a rehersal space to go along with our dwellings. we're used to small thrust (black box) theatres, so a 700 sq ft or so open loft space would be just fine).

My sister moved up to Wrigleyville (is that it?) in March [she's a dancer, works with hubbard st./ works at coyote ugly], and she seems to like it so far. Everything i hear about the arts scene in chicago is very positive (good for do-it-yourselfers, good comedy scene, good community, not as locked as NYC, not as fake as LA) and it's not as expensive as the other big theatre cities.

some group members and i are coming up in june to check places out and see some shows. I'll keep you guys posted on the developments.

zimv20
May 14, 2003, 02:25 AM

some group members and i are coming up in june to check places out and see some shows. I'll keep you guys posted on the developments.

i checking out shows all the time, so let me know. maybe there're a few other MR people in the area who'd like to check out the scene.

btw, this week is the 6th annual Chicago Improv Festival. the biggies this year are fred willard and george wendt.