PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV audio out.......?

hogprint
Jan 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
So my home theater set up right now is simply a 37 inch "widescreen" Tv, a Mac Mini and a Griffin Firewave box to provides 5.1 output to my Klipsch amplified speaker system.

I don't see how this Apple TV will fit in to my system. I would like to replace the Mac mini with the Apple TV but I don't see how my speaker system would work. It appears that a stereo system would be required for the audio output.

Am I missing something or would the Apple TV have to be an addition to my system, not really replacing anything.........

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 10, 2007, 11:06 AM
You are correct.

brbubba
Jan 10, 2007, 02:47 PM
You pretty much have one of two options. Get a home theater setup with optical in and use that as the audio source. Or use the stereo out next to the component outs to go to your hometheater/speaker setup, without the ability to do 5.1. Also it doesn't seem clear yet whether or not the device will output simultaneously to all ports. So if you used HDMI it may disable the Component and stereo outputs.

hogprint
Jan 11, 2007, 10:18 AM
I kind of figured this was the case. My goal is to have as few devices as possible and it looks like the Apple TV will just add a layer that is un-necessary. This kind of stinks but oh well........