PDA

View Full Version : VPN in OSX. How do you do that?

pinks
May 13, 2003, 04:46 AM
My college's network can be accessed off-campus by PC-users through some communications software that creates a Virtual Private Network - allowing access to email and a, so-called, 'Y' drive (some disk space where we can store stuff on the Uni's server) from a home computer.

The problem is that the college's computer centre does not have any Mac-oriented types and are unprepared to assist me in investigating how to do a similar thing on a Mac. I informed them that there lack of support was disappointing but, ultimately, not a problem because I had access to a large number of Mac experts who could help! ;)

So, anyone have any ideas? :p ( :confused: )

Please help me extend the proverbial middle-finger at those technologically-introverted pc guys who have hi-jacked my Uni's computer centre. :D

- pinks

lmalave
May 13, 2003, 05:50 AM
Do you know if they use the Cisco VPN Client? At work we use Cisco, but they wouldn't make the Mac VPN client available, even though a fully-featured client is available for OS X (I need the Cisco VPN Client because at work we use very advance VPN features). What I ended up having to do is do a Google search and find some college in Arizona that had the OS X client available for download.

That was my situation. OS X also has built-in VPN capabilities. Maybe the built-in VPN client is sufficient if your school has a simpler VPN setup. Can you post the instructions that they give to PC users for setting up their VPN? By looking at the instructions for PC, hopefully we can translate those to the Mac equivalent.

pinks
May 13, 2003, 07:20 AM
Here is a link to the instructions (http://web.rhul.ac.uk/information-services/computer-centre/faqs/full.asp?ref=64&keyword=vpn) that the Uni gives. Don't know if it makes any diffrence, but I use an ADSL connection through ethernet port.

Hope this helps and, once again, many thanks.
- pinks

umcgeek
May 13, 2003, 09:27 AM
It looks like they are using Microsofts PPTP protocol. You shouldn't need to use any Cisco clients because OS X has a PPTP client built-in.

Bare with me, because I'm not in front of my Mac, so these instuctions may not be labeled correctly... but it's close enough.

Open Internet Connection in the /Applications folder.
Ignore the Make a dialup crap...(you have DSL)
Under FILE select ' Make a VPN connection '.
Fill out the VPN's IP address.
Include you're username and password and then connect.

It should be that easy.

Here is an how-to for more info
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/12/20/vpn.html?page=1

Do you need to map drives?

pinks
May 13, 2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by umcgeek
It should be that easy.

Do you need to map drives?

Ah, I'm still stuck on 10.1.5 and this easy process only seems to have arrived with 10.2. No worries though as I already had Jaguar on order and it should be arriving pretty soon (next few days, through the Apple teacher programme).

When it does arrive, I guess that I will need to map drives (not entirely sure what this means) but i'm sure I'll have to do it, so any further advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

- pinks

umcgeek
May 14, 2003, 06:09 PM
Giving a ' network ' drive a drive letter (like 'F'), is called mapping drives. Administrators can set security on these drives allowing users or groups access to the shared info.

OSX can access these shares through SMB.

Post a message when you're ready...

-corey

Stelliform
May 14, 2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by umcgeek

Open Internet Connection in the /Applications folder.
Ignore the Make a dialup crap...(you have DSL)
Under FILE select ' Make a VPN connection '.
Fill out the VPN's IP address.
Include you're username and password and then connect.

It should be that easy.

I use that all the time to connect to M$ servers. It works great and I find it faster than a PC connecting. :)

I even use a M$ terminal server client to connect to the servers for remote administration one I VPN.

pinks
May 15, 2003, 06:27 AM
Many thanks for all your help. I'll post another reply when I get Jaguar... not long now, can't wait!

- pinks

pinks
Jun 2, 2003, 11:47 AM
Well... here's the news. Got Jag this morning and have established the VPN connection. Dead easy. Now for the, so-called, Y-drive.

umcgeek, you mentioned using SMB. Any help you can give me on this would be very much appreciated.

I hope this new post finds you all well.

Cheers

Al