PDA

View Full Version : Gateway trying to be like Apple?

MOFS
May 13, 2003, 06:31 AM
Look at this site!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3012719.stm

You can see the headlines now:

COWabunga dudes - my TV just crashed!

What are they gonna do? Beige TVs? Or maybe some with cow marking?:D

Look at the factory as well - not quite Cupertino eh? I hope to dear God that Apple's HQ is not multicoloured.

scem0
May 13, 2003, 08:55 PM
I'm glad to see they are doing bad, but I indirectly supported them by buying an 18.1" LCD of theirs off eBay.:(

Jaykay
May 14, 2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by MOFS

Look at the factory as well - not quite Cupertino eh? I hope to dear God that Apple's HQ is not multicoloured.

Yeah, damn thats one ugly building. It seems that apple are the opposite, they have a beige building with multicoloured computers and gateway have a multicoloured building with beige computers....

5300cs
May 14, 2003, 11:40 PM
Sounds like they're on the long road to bankruptcy. What a shame:)

Didn't they make an all-in-one machine that looked just like the iMac, then deubt a TV commercial with their idiotic rip-off machine jumping over it's own inspiration?

Good riddence to bad rubbish...

Sun Baked
May 14, 2003, 11:51 PM
Gateway says it is target of Justice Department probe

REUTERS

5:38 p.m., May 14, 2003

SAN DIEGO Gateway Inc. Wednesday said the U.S. Justice Department was conducting a criminal investigation into the ailing personal computer maker's accounting practices, which are already the subject of a Securities and Exchange Commission probe.

The Poway-based company's shares fell as much as 8 percent on the news before recovering.

In its quarterly financial filing with the SEC, Gateway said that the probe is related to the same time period and subject matter as the previously disclosed SEC investigation.

The SEC investigation began in December of 2000 and focuses on Gateway's accounting for packaged deals it offered with AOL Internet services. Gateway first disclosed the probe in November 2002 and last month said that it was lowering its reported revenue for 1999, 2000 and 2001 in connection with the AOL agreement.

[delete to end]

MacFan25
May 16, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 5300cs
Sounds like they're on the long road to bankruptcy. What a shame:)
I dont like Gateway's products, but I certainly don't want to see people lose their jobs.

Gymnut
May 16, 2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah, Gateway's ripoff of the iMac was the Profile. Even a PC magazine went so far as to rank the Flat screen iMac a better value than the Profile. I believe Gateway has an ad out now with the heading: Rip, Burn, Respect. What a crock! I hope they file for chapter 11. The bastards.

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 09:32 PM
gateways gonna die....yay!!!