PDA

View Full Version : Further iBook Concern

MacBoyX
May 13, 2003, 07:23 AM
Hi All,

Again, thanks for all your input in my decision to move from my PB 667 to an iBook.

I went last nite 2 the Apple store to check out the 12" vs 14" iBook. I decided that the 12" is what I want but as I was looking at the 12" I noticed they changed the enclosure!

I don't mind the all white non translucent outside, but what worries me is the very light grey almost white textured inside case (wrist rest, trackpad area). Is it just me or does this seem like it might get really dirty? Can anyone who has a 900MHz iBook speak to this? I am very careful with my laptop but I am worried just your skin resting on it or if your left hand should perspire a little (i mean with the heat it could happen) you might get some staining...

UGH...

Thanks

MacBoyX

Oid
May 13, 2003, 07:47 AM
This is what I posted in the previous thread.

The one they had in my local store already looked grubby, even though it had only been in the store two days... It was mostly finger print marks etc, which I imagine will wipe off, but it didn't look nice.

Whether you'll get more permenant discolouration as you use it more, sweat over it, etc, remains to be seen.

Personally I think the new ibooks look poor in comparison to the old ones.

bokdol
May 13, 2003, 07:57 AM
After one year of continuous use. the ibooks get very dirty. especially the track pads. they look worn out and has a smoothed out surface as it looks as if it was rubbed down. but this is probably on all laptops. but the ibooks seem to get dirty and scratch easy. oh and sometimes the track pads go crazy and jump around. (apple said to stay in 10 as they cant fixe the bug in 9) and it does not wake up from sleep (they released a sleep extention that suppose to fix it but does not) and the video borad problems causing the screens to go wierd (many people seem to have this problem (hardware issue. if it's with in the first year you can get them fixed or if you have apple care).
sorry for the extra info but this is all of the ware and tare we have expirenced with ibooks. i work in a school and we have a few ibooks... oh an 10% of our ibook had the video problems

stuartmingay
May 13, 2003, 08:32 AM
you work in a school?!?

I really hope you're not an English teacher.

Stu

Oid
May 13, 2003, 08:54 AM
And to balance out the negative post above:

I've had an ibook for a year and a half now, I use it every day, though only in the evenings. It still works perfectly, never had a single problem, screen is still perfect, and it looks brand new. I do look after it obviously, but not overly so. Pretty hard wearing all in all, better than most portables I've used.

(Aside: mine is the ibook just upgraded, i.e. the translucent white one, and not the nasty white plastic one just introduced)

caveman_uk
May 13, 2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by bokdol
After one year of continuous use. the ibooks get very dirty. especially the track pads. they look worn out and has a smoothed out surface as it looks as if it was rubbed down. but this is probably on all laptops. but the ibooks seem to get dirty and scratch easy. oh and sometimes the track pads go crazy and jump around. (apple said to stay in 10 as they cant fixe the bug in 9) and it does not wake up from sleep (they released a sleep extention that suppose to fix it but does not) and the video borad problems causing the screens to go wierd (many people seem to have this problem (hardware issue. if it's with in the first year you can get them fixed or if you have apple care).
sorry for the extra info but this is all of the ware and tare we have expirenced with ibooks. i work in a school and we have a few ibooks... oh an 10% of our ibook had the video problems
These things are used in school - pretty much all the time. No wonder they get dirty. I've had mine 6 months and it's quite clean. I use iKlear to keep it that way. They do scratch easy though:(

Trackpad / Sleep problems I haven't seen but then I've never used OS 9 for any length of time as a brief play with it convinced me not to.

I haven't had the video problem but it's still fairly new. I've broken a key off it but as it was under warranty I got a new keyboard from Apple. I don't have Applecare but I think I may get it before the year's up!.:rolleyes:

Mine's a translucent 800 with combo drive.

MacBoyX
May 13, 2003, 09:31 AM
Hey All,

Again thanks for all your feedback. I currently have a 700MHz iBook (translucent) in the house (my boyfriend's) and we havent seen much in the way of scratches or the wrist rests getting dirty. All of the Apple trackpads show the wear since they are light colored and there's nothing wrong with that.

What I am concerned with is that the NEW STYLE inner case might get dirty because as someone stated, the ones in my Apple Store were kinda stained a little. I hope that some water and a soft cloth would take the stains off. Also does anyone know if iceCream from RADTech would work on the opaque 900?

I haven't had any issues of any kind with our iBook, my sister had a few, took 3 iBooks from CompUSA before we got one that was defect free (my only bad experience with Apple products).

Does anyone own a new 900 that can shed some light on this?

Thanks!

yzedf
May 13, 2003, 09:43 AM
You have to decide if you are buying the iBook as a computer to use, or as a status symbol. Yes, it will not look as good as new after a while. Yes the new design will get dirtier easier than the old one. Yes you can clean it.

If something this silly is keeping you from buying it... do you really need it? I don't mean to flame... but this is a petty thing to keep you from buying a computer that you should hopefully use for the next 2-3 years.

MacBoyX
May 13, 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
You have to decide if you are buying the iBook as a computer to use, or as a status symbol. Yes, it will not look as good as new after a while. Yes the new design will get dirtier easier than the old one. Yes you can clean it.

If something this silly is keeping you from buying it... do you really need it? I don't mean to flame... but this is a petty thing to keep you from buying a computer that you should hopefully use for the next 2-3 years.

Yzedf...it's not that silly to me for the following reason...I have a TiBook which someone wants to buy from me. I am trying to decide if I should sell. I am trying to be thorough because I was not when I bought my TiBook. I didn't know about the Paint scratches or crappy AirPort reception. I really want to make sure that IF i spend 1500 dollars on a computer that I will use for the next 2 years or so that I think about all the angles.

Also I asked this question because my local CompUSA has some left over old case 800Mhz ibooks and I was thinking of getting one of those instead. Was just asking people's opinions of the new case and if it would be harder to keep clean than the old case.

As always I appreciate everyone's feed back and you're right something this silly would not keep me from buying, just trying to make the best decision I can.