PDA

View Full Version : Keynote plays at higher quality on a Mac than on a PC

CubeHacker
Jan 10, 2007, 02:39 PM
I was watching the keynote on my Mac but I got tired of standing (no chair by my Mac - don't ask). So I go to my windows PC and load it up there, and I immediately notice that the resolution here is lower, and the framerate is only 8fps. I go back to my Mac, and sure enough, its playing at a (slightly) higher resolution there, and at 20fps. I checked quicktime and the settings between them are identical.

Anyone know what gives?

iMeowbot
Jan 10, 2007, 02:41 PM
You may want to look at the PC's QuickTime settings, particularly the streaming speed. It may be set to use less than the bandwidth you really have available.

CubeHacker
Jan 10, 2007, 02:46 PM
You may want to look at the PC's QuickTime settings, particularly the streaming speed. It may be set to use less than the bandwidth you really have available.

Nope. Like I said, identical settings.

iMeowbot
Jan 10, 2007, 02:48 PM
Nope. Like I said, identical settings.
What speed did you choose for streaming, automatic? Have you tried choosing a specific speed?

CubeHacker
Jan 10, 2007, 02:58 PM
What speed did you choose for streaming, automatic? Have you tried choosing a specific speed?

Yep, tried Automatic, 1.5mbps, and T1/LAN. They all play like crap on the PC. Looks fine on my Mac. Can anyone else with both a PC and a Mac check this out?

Anuba
Jan 10, 2007, 03:16 PM
Can't verify what you're saying but I wouldn't doubt it. It certainly wouldn't be the first instance of Apple intentionally making stuff suck on PC more than it has to. I remember a version of QuickTime for PC a few years back, must have been QT4 or 5 - it had this way of freezing up the system in a way which no other application from no other company could dream of. It was as if it was tailor made to convey the impression that Windows sucks, and this was on Windows 2K which was a milestone in stability on the PC (prior versions crashed constantly).

I've noticed similar things over the years, I was never able to put my finger on it but I always had this sneaking suspicion that they built some kind of "subtle sabotage" code into their Windows apps. I jump a lot between the platforms and use the same apps on both, but nowhere is the cross-platform quality gap larger than with Apple's software.

HD QuickTime movies are completely unwatchable on my PC which has 8 times more video RAM, 4 times more RAM and a much faster CPU than my Mac Mini, and yet these films play better on the Mini.

QT and iTunes take forEVER to start on the PC. There's just nothing slower than iTunes. Well, maybe Photoshop CS2 but it's a monster compared to iTunes.

Even their hardware is anti-PC. I must have something like 50 USB gadgets and they all work flawlessly with the PC, except two: iPod Nano and iPod Mini. If they're connected at bootup my Dell notebook freezes before Windows even starts loading.

So I dunno. Normally I don't touch conspiracy theories with a 40 foot pole, but with Apple and this infantile anti-PC thing they've had going ever since the "Pentium toaster" days, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if it turns out one day that Apple has been doing this crap all along.

See, I hate both M$ and Apple, but for different reasons. I hate M$ because they're stupid. I hate Apple because they're the epitome of pure evil. Bill Gates is Goofy, Steve Jobs is Hannibal Lecter.

iMeowbot
Jan 10, 2007, 03:20 PM
Yep, tried Automatic, 1.5mbps, and T1/LAN. They all play like crap on the PC. Looks fine on my Mac. Can anyone else with both a PC and a Mac check this out?
There is something misconfigured on your end somewhere. I'm getting the same 20 fps on both XP and Tiger.

There are some additional settings with the Windows version of QuickTime that might be worth checking in the control panel, such as the video acceleration gobbledygook. "The same on both machines" simply wouldn't apply to many settings, since they aren't configurable on the Mac version.

bartelby
Jan 10, 2007, 03:22 PM
Can't verify what you're saying but I wouldn't doubt it. It certainly wouldn't be the first instance of Apple intentionally making stuff suck on PC more than it has to. I remember a version of QuickTime for PC a few years back, must have been QT4 or 5 - it had this way of freezing up the system in a way which no other application from no other company could dream of. It was as if it was tailor made to convey the impression that Windows sucks, and this was on Windows 2K which was a milestone in stability on the PC (prior versions crashed constantly).

I've noticed similar things over the years, I was never able to put my finger on it but I always had this sneaking suspicion that they built some kind of "subtle sabotage" code into their Windows apps. I jump a lot between the platforms and use the same apps on both, but nowhere is the cross-platform quality gap larger than with Apple's software.

HD QuickTime movies are completely unwatchable on my PC which has 8 times more video RAM, 4 times more RAM and a much faster CPU than my Mac Mini, and yet these films play better on the Mini.

QT and iTunes take forEVER to start on the PC. There's just nothing slower than iTunes. Well, maybe Photoshop CS2 but it's a monster compared to iTunes.

Even their hardware is anti-PC. I must have something like 50 USB gadgets and they all work flawlessly with the PC, except two: iPod Nano and iPod Mini. If they're connected at bootup my Dell notebook freezes before Windows even starts loading.

So I dunno. Normally I don't touch conspiracy theories with a 40 foot pole, but with Apple and this infantile anti-PC thing they've had going ever since the "Pentium toaster" days, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if it turns out one day that Apple has been doing this crap all along.

See, I hate both M$ and Apple, but for different reasons. I hate M$ because they're stupid. I hate Apple because they're the epitome of pure evil. Bill Gates is Goofy, Steve Jobs is Hannibal Lecter.

Well bin the Dell and buy an Apple computer then:rolleyes:

CubeHacker
Jan 10, 2007, 03:31 PM
There is something misconfigured on your end somewhere. I'm getting the same 20 fps on both XP and Tiger.

There are some additional settings with the Windows version of QuickTime that might be worth checking in the control panel, such as the video acceleration gobbledygook. "The same on both machines" simply wouldn't apply to many settings, since they aren't configurable on the Mac version.

Strange. Everything is set to the highest settings. Both are QT Pro and the latest version. I don't understand why my lowly G4 Cube is getting a better stream than my PC is.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 10, 2007, 03:33 PM
My guess QuickTime is optimized for OSX and takes advantage of certain technologies that Windows does not have.

Anuba
Jan 10, 2007, 03:41 PM
Well bin the Dell and buy an Apple computer then:rolleyes:

I have two Apple computers, I doubt a third one would make any difference. I use them for testing and misc. toying around, but as a work platform, no way in hell. Hate the screen clutter, hate the workflow speedbumps, and if I ever need a slogan I'll use "Napalm over Cupertino".