PDA

View Full Version : new $20 bill to be announced today

Moxiemike
May 13, 2003, 09:04 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/12/news/economy/twenty/index.htm

neat! colored currency. i wonder if flower power and blue dalmation are far off. ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2003, 09:11 AM
Ha - real Monopoly money....:D

I went to the US Treasury website to find out more and they're not any better on info. Its going to be today but there is no time associated with the release. I wonder if the Treasury building is going to have an event....

and we can look forward to more colors

This new $20 note will go into circulation later this year.__ New designs for the $50 and $100 notes will follow in 2004 and 2005._

D

Moxiemike
May 13, 2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ha - real Monopoly money....:D

I went to the US Treasury website to find out more and they're not any better on info. Its going to be today but there is no time associated with the release. I wonder if the Treasury building is going to have an event....

and we can look forward to more colors

This new $20 note will go into circulation later this year.__ New designs for the $50 and $100 notes will follow in 2004 and 2005._

D

Yea. The treasury site was pretty useless. I just hope that they DONT use colored paper and rather do something like the euros-- on white paper, or dark grey. Colored paper would remind me too much of bad resumés from Kinko's:rolleyes:

shakespeare
May 13, 2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
Yea. The treasury site was pretty useless. I just hope that they DONT use colored paper and rather do something like the euros-- on white paper, or dark grey. Colored paper would remind me too much of bad resumés from Kinko's:rolleyes:

I'm a designer, and I know this is a matter of taste, but in my opinion, the American bills are hideously ugly and the Euro bills are gorgeous. Maybe Treasury is getting wise to the importance of pretty things.

Moxiemike
May 13, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by shakespeare
I'm a designer, and I know this is a matter of taste, but in my opinion, the American bills are hideously ugly and the Euro bills are gorgeous. Maybe Treasury is getting wise to the importance of pretty things.

Then again, and maybe i'm a cynic, but they prolly won't learn ANYTHING from the darn near PERFECT design of the Euro. (even the fonts.... drooool)

eyelikeart
May 13, 2003, 10:31 AM
he he...so what happens when we leave one in our pants in the wash? :eek: ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2003, 10:33 AM
Well, I think they mentioned that they're going to keep the same design (yuck) and
'add' color - what ever that ends up being. Still no pics of the new $20 Bill....

D

shakespeare
May 13, 2003, 10:35 AM
Well, I think they mentioned that they're going to keep the same design (yuck) and
'add' color - what ever that ends up being. Still no pics of the new $20 Bill....

D

Not so. You can see the bill now on CNN Money. It's gross. The colour does nothing for it.

alset
May 13, 2003, 10:49 AM

In that case, they should have Apple's Aqua team on to consult. :)

Realistically, though, I saw a statistic on a special about counterfeiting that said 10% of all our bills are fraudulent.

Dan

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2003, 10:53 AM
How uninspiring.....:(

eyelikeart
May 13, 2003, 10:56 AM

I think it's all a matter of security, although I do believe they could do something about the actual design while maintaining a degree of "safety" against counterfeiting.

sad though... :(

Moxiemike
May 13, 2003, 10:57 AM

a graduated tone. awesome. lovely.

The sad thing is I watched a REALLY good special on the US Mint. The precision and the design is fantastic.

The treasury really is playing catch up.

wdlove
May 13, 2003, 11:03 AM

I guess I'm the odd ball, but I like the design. The problem is staying ahead of counterfeiting! It's no longer like the old days in the movies with a man working to make an engraving plate!

britboy
May 13, 2003, 11:04 AM

It might still be rather dull, but it's an improvement on the current bills in circulation. I don't think there's any doubt though that they could have come up with something a bit more.....colourful.

Will it look better when you've actually got it in your hand, I wonder?

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2003, 11:07 AM
and with the yellow/orange in the middle with the green on the ends - I'm wondering how it will look aged (after going through the wash in eye's pockets a couple times :D)

And will the $50 and $100 have different color schemes?

It might be a little better, but its still not great.

D

eyelikeart
May 13, 2003, 11:09 AM
ha ha...lucky for me I carry my cash on a clip ;)

Moxiemike
May 13, 2003, 11:14 AM
and with the yellow/orange in the middle with the green on the ends - I'm wondering how it will look aged (after going through the wash in eye's pockets a couple times :D)

And will the $50 and $100 have different color schemes?

It might be a little better, but its still not great.

D

Who knows on the color scheme. But here's my take: if they DO bring in different colors, it'll look odd. It'll be hard to match up and while visually you'll be able to tell which bills are different fairly easily, I think AESTHETICALLY it will be a disaster.

BUT if you printed the bills on white paper with different colored inks, and maybe even experimented with graduated tones (Euro anyone???) then I think you would have an attractive currency that would be visually diferentiated as well as aesthetically pleasing.

I have some old silver dollars from the early 1900's and man are they cool. Almost iridescent, not green like the other bills but silvery-dark greenish, cool paper (almost gray-green) and a bigger size. Great for the 1920s but not revelent today. And i think this new design makes the bills look even more dated. Whatever though, as long as they spend. ;)

shakespeare
May 13, 2003, 04:09 PM
Here's a more detailed photograph of the beast. I suppose it's no worse than the old one, but the US government continually misses opportunities to do better than they absolutely must.

http://homepage.mac.com/ashuttleworth/dollarbill.jpg

MrMacMan
May 13, 2003, 04:33 PM
Here's a more detailed photograph of the beast. I suppose it's no worse than the old one, but the US government continually misses opportunities to do better than they absolutely must.

http://homepage.mac.com/ashuttleworth/dollarbill.jpg
Ah thank you! :D

new bill will take some getting used to...

big
May 13, 2003, 05:02 PM
yuk

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2003, 05:11 PM
You know seeing the comparison it really does look like its a fake. This will take a bit getting use to.

And I don't think I'll see many $50s or $100 - actually, I never really carry big bills.

Anyone here regularly carry large bills over $20?

D

Freg3000
May 13, 2003, 05:36 PM
I sort of like it. But it really doesn't matter to me anyway. Who cares what the money looks like anyway. I don't get much of it anyway. :(

Kwyjibo
May 13, 2003, 06:00 PM
i like to keep about $170 in my wallet wherever i go. I always try to keep it at 100 50 20 then whatever singles i have. Its funny because the girl at the bank knows how to divide up my check now and shes kinda cute :)

King Cobra
May 13, 2003, 06:17 PM
What I think is sad is every time something new is released in the form of USA currency, there end up being more negative opinions than positives.

I liked colored money. I like the color scheme. It's too bad nothing is like classic Monopoly as duke --> Mr. Anderson gave mention to, but I would rather take color than boring white. Plus it doesn't overbear on the bill.

The one thing I don't like is the donkey kong-like mug in the center of the bill.

Has anyone seen the reverse of the bill?

ShaolinMiddleFinger
May 13, 2003, 06:21 PM
Here's my rendition of how it should be...

bahahahahaa

Wardofsky
May 13, 2003, 06:21 PM
Sorry, but who is that guy?

Kwyjibo
May 13, 2003, 06:40 PM
umm on the bill its Andrew Jackson.

wdlove
May 13, 2003, 07:04 PM
You know seeing the comparison it really does look like its a fake. This will take a bit getting use to.

And I don't think I'll see many $50s or $100 - actually, I never really carry big bills.

Anyone here regularly carry large bills over $20?

D

No, I don't ever remember carrying anything larger than a $20. Somewhat afraid!

I remember working in the office at a school here in Boston. During registration students would come and pay with cash. They carried alot of bills, noticed when they opened their wallet. To pay their bill they used $50 & $100 denominations. When the $50 first came out with a new design, we actually took a second look. We all laughed! :p

scem0
May 13, 2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
Here's my rendition of how it should be...

bahahahahaa

now that would take some getting used to! ;)

beez7777
May 13, 2003, 09:38 PM
is it just me or does andrew jackson look a lot like henry winkler?

btw, i kinda like the new bill. kinda like the new iPod, not mind blowing, but it'll grow on you, and eventually you'll like it a lot.

Foxer
May 13, 2003, 09:49 PM
I like the new style. I just wish they'd ditch the dollar bill.

ibookin'
May 14, 2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Foxer
I like the new style. I just wish they'd ditch the dollar bill.

Too many vending machines to do that... :D

I think the old currency was better-looking, myself.

Wardofsky
May 14, 2003, 02:38 AM
I like the Australian money myself, either because I'm Australian or because I think they are durable.

I mean nothing against the US dollar it's just that when I recieved some US money I accidently tore a bit in the middle.
I find there is a lesser chance of that happening with the Aussie plastic notes which can still be cut but not as easily.

And the little see-through part just looks cool...

Please don't take this the wrong way!

Once again I have nothing against other currencies

pivo6
May 14, 2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Wardofsky
I like the Australian money myself, either because I'm Australian or because I think they are durable.

I mean nothing against the US dollar it's just that when I recieved some US money I accidently tore a bit in the middle.
I find there is a lesser chance of that happening with the Aussie plastic notes which can still be cut but not as easily.

And the little see-through part just looks cool...

Please don't take this the wrong way!

Once again I have nothing against other currencies

I've heard of credit cards referred to as plastic money, but never plastic money as plastic money.:) How does that work? It can't be a real thick piece of plastic otherwise you would get creases all over, and you wouldn't be able to tell one note from another.

The US dollar is made from a type of linen that's strong enough to withstand the washing machine, as well as bends and folds.

alia
May 14, 2003, 09:56 AM
Just wanted to mention that I'm pretty sure they will be debuting each bill at a different color. I think that will be excellent protection from counterfeiting. One of the most popular forms of counterfeiting currently is to take a smaller denomination bill, and bleach the ink out of it, leaving the paper and security features and then digitally printing an image of a larger bill onto the smaller bill. With different colors, it would be immediately apparent that the bill was counterfeit if someone tried to do that.

So, all in all, different colors is a good idea.

Alia

Wardofsky
May 14, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by pivo6
I've heard of credit cards referred to as plastic money, but never plastic money as plastic money.:) How does that work? It can't be a real thick piece of plastic otherwise you would get creases all over, and you wouldn't be able to tell one note from another.

The US dollar is made from a type of linen that's strong enough to withstand the washing machine, as well as bends and folds.

Well, it can withstand a washing machine and is as thin as the US.
It can get creases but overall, the notes bend.

Generally when they are put into the bank or ATM, they are flattened out.

It comes in 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100.

The fifty:

MacFan25
May 14, 2003, 06:32 PM
I dont think that the new 20 is really that bad looking. but, it could be much better.

evoluzione
May 14, 2003, 11:15 PM
the US notes have really grown on me since i've lived here, having them all look fairly similar, and all being the same size is kinda cool. the english notes are different colours and different sizes, which makes it easier to differentiate, but not as cool. you just can't roll them up or have a big fat wad of them unless they're all the same. as for the one dollar bill, i love 'em, in england there's a one pound (and two pound) coin. your pockets are weighed down with all the loose change, it's a right pain. it's very cool being able to pay for a beer with one coin though.

this i found interesting....

"New features on those notes included... a watermark visible only when holding the bill up to the light; and a security strip that runs vertically through the bill."

the british notes have had this for YEARS.

insidedanshead
May 14, 2003, 11:42 PM
ShaolinMiddleFinger

>>LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zed
May 14, 2003, 11:48 PM
wow, that new $20 is smokin' HOT!! :cool:

eyelikeart
May 15, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by zed

u bastard!!!! :D

vniow
May 15, 2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by zed

Just can't win can't you eye?http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=257466

eyelikeart
May 15, 2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by vniow
Just can't win can't you eye?http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=257466

he he...it's ok...zed's a local boy...

I can get him back... ;)

britboy
May 15, 2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
he he...it's ok...zed's a local boy...

I can get him back... ;)

You mean you're going to track him down and get your own back?

First stalked, now a stalker.....:rolleyes:

eyelikeart
May 15, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by britboy
You mean you're going to track him down and get your own back?

First stalked, now a stalker.....:rolleyes:

sure...we have dinner every so often and hang out equally...

why not? ;)

wdlove
May 15, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
sure...we have dinner every so often and hang out equally...

why not? ;)

Please take some slow deep breaths first eyelikeart! Please give him some slack! ;)

etoiles
May 15, 2003, 06:58 PM
forget the euro, check out the Swiss banknotes... :p
http://www.snb.ch/e/banknoten/aktuelle_serie/aktuelle_serie.html

Each one is dedicated to a famous Swiss personality (http://www.snb.ch/e/banknoten/aktuelle_serie/persoenlichkeiten/person.html) and contains a ton of info about the person's work (illustrations, microscopic text etc.).

They are designed in a way that even blind people can use them (size and embossed patch at the bottom).

And I think the 1000 bill (about $750) is pretty unique, too. Gotta love rich people :D

zed
May 15, 2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by etoiles
forget the euro, check out the Swiss banknotes... :p
http://www.snb.ch/e/banknoten/aktuelle_serie/aktuelle_serie.html

Each one is dedicated to a famous Swiss personality (http://www.snb.ch/e/banknoten/aktuelle_serie/persoenlichkeiten/person.html) and contains a ton of info about the person's work (illustrations, microscopic text etc.).

They are designed in a way that even blind people can use them (size and embossed patch at the bottom).

And I think the 1000 bill (about $750) is pretty unique, too. Gotta love rich people :D

I'm not sure this would work in the US, people are such pack rats (i mean "collectors") here that all of these bills would be hoarded away just like the $1 coins did a few years back..... that was a bummer too, i liked those coins. Reminded me of the English Pound.

**looks out the window to make sure Eye is not lurking nearby**