Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hey guys, I just thought I'd show off my newly-modded-by-me macbook pro! :D I downloaded one of Apple's service manuals from some site on the internet, followed it, and stuck a black cardboard cover from one of those college ruled notebooks behind it. You can't really see the light through there anymore, and I accidentally dinged the top case when I tried to be adventurous and forge my own path between the display housing and the back. :eek: I'm happy with it though, made it mine! ;)

Attachments

• DSC01949.jpg
    DSC01949.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC01950.jpg
    DSC01950.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC01951.jpg
    DSC01951.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC01953.jpg
    DSC01953.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 150

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
your machine now has character, I like it. Having said that I also like the 'look at my laptop glowing APPLE logo" on the case... the stickers are pretty cool, but again, not really my style, maybe when my machine is old enough I'll 'tatt' it up.. haha..

as for the ding in the lid, again, character! urban style!

I was carrying my MBP in a messenger style bag on my shoulder, only a few weeks after I got the machine. The messenger bag's shoulder strap broke, the bag went crashing to the ground (about 2ft), and 'thud'... I freaked out... checked the machine out, a very small dent in the front right corner... no one picks it when I show them the machine, but I know its there! hehe character!

now who has the guts to dismantle their machine's outer casings and get it on the buff wheel for some "mirror alloy" action? sweeeet, fingerprint nightmare!

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
That really looks great you did a good job and death cab are good too :)

Also which carboard did you put underneath it could you possibly have put dark perspex glass so teh shine still comes through abit.

jsnoah

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2006
Ramsey, NJ
Hmmm Interesting but...

I woudl not be messing with perfection! My art history professor once said,

"If it ain't Baroque, Don't fix it!"

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Cool! How thick is the piece of cardboard? I like the color
Thanks! The cardboard really isn't that thick at all, it's just the cover of one of those college-ruled 80 sheet notebooks. Maybe a couple sheets of paper thick. There's a good bit of leeway between the plastic of the apple and the back of the display, so even if had been thicker, there'd be no problem. :cool:

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I wonder how hot it gets back there behind the display. Fire hazard?
Probably not hot enough to set a piece of cardboard on fire. :confused: I just took off the white piece of paper that was there originally and put something different there. It's not like the Apple logo acts as ventilation or anything, it's sealed with plastic.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
Ok, ok, good to know.

By the way, I do like the different look. I have found myself thinking that Mac laptops are beginning to be too commonplace, thus losing their mystique. Your mod adds a nice variety.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Looks Great. But the stickers kinda kill it.
*gasp* Blasphemy! :p

Haha I know, my brother hates it when I put stickers on stuff. (I have a couple stickers on my guitar too, drives him crazy.) But in my opinion, it's my way of expressing myself, and I'd rather have people look at my laptop and say "Hey, that kid likes Death Cab for Cutie!" rather than "Oh look, that's the 5th kid I've seen today with a Mac."

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
tru dat

*gasp* Blasphemy! :p

Haha I know, my brother hates it when I put stickers on stuff. (I have a couple stickers on my guitar too, drives him crazy.) But in my opinion, it's my way of expressing myself, and I'd rather have people look at my laptop and say "Hey, that kid likes Death Cab for Cutie!" rather than "Oh look, that's the 5th kid I've seen today with a Mac."

I agree. BTW, Death Cab was AMAZING in Atlanta a couple of months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.