PDA

View Full Version : Why is Nike+ only on the Nano?

polevault139
Jan 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
Is there any reason for the fact that you can only use the Nike+ with the nano? Why not a 5.5G iPod. I need the storage of the iPod but I want the Nike+, and don't have enough money right now to buy a Nano. It seems superfluous anyways. Do you think it will ever be available on anything but the nano.

Cybix
Jan 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
because the flash based ipods are better for running, (try running for an hour with a video ipod)..

and because the nano is the smallest ipod with a screen

and because the nano is the highest selling ipod out of the line up

need I go on? all guesses anyway

holamiamigos
Jan 10, 2007, 09:57 PM
i remember hearing that a study was done and most people run with nanos

asxtb
Jan 10, 2007, 10:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

because the flash based ipods are better for running, (try running for an hour with a video ipod)..

and because the nano is the smallest ipod with a screen

and because the nano is the highest selling ipod out of the line up

need I go on? all guesses anyway

Still doesn't explain why just the nano. Is it that difficult for both to support it?

WildCowboy
Jan 10, 2007, 10:20 PM
I can't find it right now in a quick search, but I think I remember seeing mention on the Apple site somewhere that they'd rather you not run with the hard drive iPods due to the possibility of damaging them. Obviously, supporting the Nike+iPod on the full-size iPod would imply Apple's approval of people running with them, and I think they're reluctant to do that.

Chundles
Jan 10, 2007, 11:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Still doesn't explain why just the nano. Is it that difficult for both to support it?

Seconding WildCowboy's response. Allowing people to use the Nike+iPod kit with a 5G iPod would be legally considered a suggestion that jogging with a HDD is a "reasonable use" of the product. If Apple were to take this course of action it would thus be liable for any damage caused to the HDD by the user jogging and subjecting the drive to stresses that really shouldn't be put on a HDD. Apple would have to cough up a lot of cash in repairs because they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court if they claimed you shouldn't jog with an iPod.

Putting it on the nano only covers their arses because the nano won't suffer any damage from sudden movement because it has no moving parts.

It's all about saving cash and saving face, can you imagine the public backlash if suddenly iPods all over the world were dying from HDD shock when Apple makes it apparent that jogging with an iPod is acceptable? Apple would get destroyed.

Koodauw
Jan 10, 2007, 11:10 PM
Ill third the motion. This is exactly why.

tjwett
Jan 10, 2007, 11:14 PM
The "full size" iPod has a hard disk inside, as in MOVING PARTS. Not a great idea to subject it to long periods of jerking and movement. There is a skid protection buffer but still, I certainly wouldn't run for an hour with any firewire hard drive and an iPod is no exception. The nano on the other hand, has no moving parts and can handle lots of movement. The Shuffle is too tiny for any extra technology and is also inexpensive, making it not as worthwhile for a value-add push like Nike+. It's also the highest selling of the lineup.

polevault139
Jan 11, 2007, 05:22 AM
Thats what I thought. So maybe I'll just have to fork over some cash for the new shuffle, because i really don't want to have to buy new shoes to.

Chundles
Jan 11, 2007, 07:57 AM
Thats what I thought. So maybe I'll just have to fork over some cash for the new shuffle, because i really don't want to have to buy new shoes to.

You don't need the shoes, the sensor works perfectly well in any other shoe. Just get one of those little pouches that strap on your laces - there are ones made specifically for the Nike+ sensor so you can use it with any pair of shoes.

I made one out of velcro that holds it on my old dodgy sneakers and it works really well.