PDA

View Full Version : Old or New iPod?

MUrhino
May 13, 2003, 12:01 PM
I don't currently own an iPod, but I just received my 17" PB and love it. What are the differences in the most recent iPod and iPod 2? I like the older design better, and could probably work with the touch sensative buttons, but what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

Mr. MacPhisto
May 13, 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MUrhino
I don't currently own an iPod, but I just received my 17" PB and love it. What are the differences in the most recent iPod and iPod 2? I like the older design better, and could probably work with the touch sensative buttons, but what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

Well, I've used the old iPod and bought a new one. One of the reasons I didn't buy the old one is because of the design. It was okay, but not great. I didn't like the buttons and thought they could easily break.

The new ones are smaller and touch sensitive. You'd have to use the hold switch if it's in your pocket or anything like that, but overall I find the ones to be superior. The buttons now have a backlight on them (really nice orange). It's smaller than its predecessor and more appealing (the buttons and wheel don't bulge out of the case - they're pretty flush). I'd recommend the new iPod. If you've never owned one then the touch sensitivity is no big deal. Any problems will be ironed out with future releases of the software. Though I haven't had any problems. There is the crack in between tracks, but I've heard that on the old iPod too, so no biggie.

yzedf
May 13, 2003, 02:24 PM
To me, the new interface (nicer) and the different battery (Li-ion now) are the biggest differences. I would go for a new one. 15GB with dock.

QCassidy352
May 13, 2003, 02:29 PM
the new ones:
dock
touch buttons
smaller/ lighter
games (due to software 2.0)

the old ones:
can use any standard firewire cable
buttons not as easily pressed by accident
price reductions
longer battery life

Which looks better is a much debated matter of personal preference.

I'm happy with my 5 gig ipod, but if I were buying a new one, I'd look for a good deal on a 20 gigger. Lots of people want to sell them now so that they can get a new 30 gig, and there are some great deals.

The other reason I'd go old is that most of the new advantages don't matter to me. Smaller? the old one was a deck of cards; how much smaller do i need? A dock? Don't need it. Games? I wouldn't waste my battery.

Whick brings me to the number one reason that I would go with an old ipod-- battery life. There have been a number of times when, if I were using a new ipod, my battery would have died before the day was done, while my old ipod was still going strong. I really do get 10 hours with the new software on the 5 gig... 11.5 hours if it's left to play continuously.

QCassidy352
May 13, 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
To me, the new interface (nicer) and the different battery (Li-ion now) are the biggest differences. I would go for a new one. 15GB with dock.

sry for the double post, but I had to respond to this. The new battery would make you choose a NEW ipod?? But the new batteries last LESS time... how is that an advantage?

hanumang
May 13, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
sry for the double post, but I had to respond to this. The new battery would make you choose a NEW ipod?? But the new batteries last LESS time... how is that an advantage?

According to C|Net: (http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342420-1305-21165696-3.html?tag=rating)
However, Apple has solved the old iPod's battery problem (the life of the nonreplaceable battery dropped to 1 to 3 hours after about a year of use) with an included firmware upgrade.

Browsing across a few boards, I have come across more than a few posts about iPod batteries dying after about a year of daily recharging. Considering that once the battery is done, the iPod is done, that's not comforting (if all this is to be taken at face value, that is).

As for new versus old...

It all depends on your budget, the older models can be had at a substantial discount now. Considering how expensive iPods are compared to the competition - I know, I know, iPods are miles ahead of the competition, but still - and that's no small matter.

I myself have a new iPod, but I specifically waited for Apple to release the new iPods (thought I was waiting more for AAC to be supported by iTunes). And I do prefer the more pocket friendly lines & size of the new iPod and the On-The-Go playlists.

yzedf
May 13, 2003, 03:12 PM
They don't become useless 50% of the time after 1 year. Li-ion is much better than that other junk they used to use. Not to mention the fact that to replace the battery meant to replace entire iPod. I am quite sure that Apple doesn't want to do that anymore, seeming as it is kinda pricey.

sparks9
May 13, 2003, 04:47 PM
I got an oldie and I can only say that It's perfect for my needs. I got it mostly because it is much cheaper than the new ones right now (while the old stocks last).

About the design: I think it's great and very stylish (just as the new).

pyrotoaster
May 13, 2003, 05:29 PM
I'd go for a new one without a doubt (the 15 GB seems to be the most appealing).

Whether or not you like the new features (although I'd love to have on-the-go playlists on my "old" iPod), it's worth it just for the continued software support.

QCassidy352
May 13, 2003, 05:36 PM
"However, Apple has solved the old iPod's battery problem (the life of the nonreplaceable battery dropped to 1 to 3 hours after about a year of use) with an included firmware upgrade."

2.0 has no battery-effecting features that 1.3 does not. The advantages of 2.0 lie elsewhere. With the release of 1.2.6/ 1.3, apple has solved the battery life problem for all ipods, old and new.

My ipod was losing battery life as you described. Then I installed 1.2.6, and my battery life, (and standby time) went up to better than it was when new. And my ipod is now over a year old.

"They don't become useless 50% of the time after 1 year. Li-ion is much better than that other junk they used to use. Not to mention the fact that to replace the battery meant to replace entire iPod."

With the new firmware, no ipod will be useless after a year, and the old ones will last just as long as the new ones. Further, a third party battery replacement has been released (voids your warranty to install it of course) so replacing the battery is no longer impossible.

oh, and I had my share of difficulties with my old ibook's Li-ion battery, so lithium doesn't much impress me.

tjwett
May 13, 2003, 05:39 PM
i thought i liked the old one better too ( i have a 5 gig) until i actually played with a new one at the Apple Store. Whoa! they have really refined the entire thing. it is much smaller and way more comfortable to hold in your hand or pocket. it's curved on all sides and has no moving parts. it appears to look and feel bullet-proof. i want one for sure. much better IMHO.

Mr. MacPhisto
May 13, 2003, 09:01 PM
"However, Apple has solved the old iPod's battery problem (the life of the nonreplaceable battery dropped to 1 to 3 hours after about a year of use) with an included firmware upgrade."

2.0 has no battery-effecting features that 1.3 does not. The advantages of 2.0 lie elsewhere. With the release of 1.2.6/ 1.3, apple has solved the battery life problem for all ipods, old and new.

My ipod was losing battery life as you described. Then I installed 1.2.6, and my battery life, (and standby time) went up to better than it was when new. And my ipod is now over a year old.

"They don't become useless 50% of the time after 1 year. Li-ion is much better than that other junk they used to use. Not to mention the fact that to replace the battery meant to replace entire iPod."

With the new firmware, no ipod will be useless after a year, and the old ones will last just as long as the new ones. Further, a third party battery replacement has been released (voids your warranty to install it of course) so replacing the battery is no longer impossible.

oh, and I had my share of difficulties with my old ibook's Li-ion battery, so lithium doesn't much impress me.

The firmware upgrade is only a temporary fix for the old iPods. I believe they have a polymer based battery. Gives longlasting power, but they will not be able to take a charge sooner than a Lithium Ion battery. I would say the new iPods should last 2 years longer than the old ones out of the box. I would say the originals should only last 3-4 years before giving up the ghost, whereas the new ones should last 6 or more.

elusion
May 13, 2003, 09:29 PM
You can buy replacement batteries for the original ipod at the aptly named http://www.ipodbattery.com for $60 US.

QCassidy352
May 13, 2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto
The firmware upgrade is only a temporary fix for the old iPods. I believe they have a polymer based battery. Gives longlasting power, but they will not be able to take a charge sooner than a Lithium Ion battery. I would say the new iPods should last 2 years longer than the old ones out of the box. I would say the originals should only last 3-4 years before giving up the ghost, whereas the new ones should last 6 or more.

so for $60 every few years, which will come down, you can keep an old ipod forever if you want to.

And if I don't want to replace the battery after 2-3 more years, I'll be happy that I had two extra hours of listening time during those years, and then I'll buy a nice 100 gig ipod that's 60% the size of the current line of ipods. :D

melchior
May 14, 2003, 12:07 AM
"lithium polymer" = "lithium ion polymer" = "lithium ion" the difference is the lith-poly are mixed so that they do not need a pressured aluminium or steel casing, pressure is there anyway so you can mold it to look like gumby or poky and it will still work. (actually probably not, but it is moldable to some extent) this is so you can make it long and thin. the new ipods use a highly compressed battery that is small and light. there is some loss of battery life.

9hundred
May 14, 2003, 09:12 AM
but what really is so much better about the newer ipod?

tell me about sound quality/encoding..

Mr. MacPhisto
May 14, 2003, 06:21 PM
so for $60 every few years, which will come down, you can keep an old ipod forever if you want to.

And if I don't want to replace the battery after 2-3 more years, I'll be happy that I had two extra hours of listening time during those years, and then I'll buy a nice 100 gig ipod that's 60% the size of the current line of ipods. :D

I actually just ran an experiment on my 10 gig new Pod and got about 11 hours of straight play, so the battery life is pretty equivalent.

If you've got an old iPod and are happy with it, good for you. I'm glad I never bought one of them myself, but I never liked them much. If you're used to the buttons on that one, you likely won't like then new ones. I've never liked the design on the old one, so I prefer the new Pod.

WinterMute
May 14, 2003, 06:45 PM
iPod's an iPod's an iPod... they all do the same thing, the new one sounds no better, the battery capacity difference is negligable in real terms, AAC sounds better than mp3 at half the data rate, who plays games on an iPod?

I've got an old 10gig, I've got 3 days of music on it on random play, I listen to it for 2.5 hours a day most weekdays travelling accoss London. How much music do i need on the damn thing, i rarley hear the same song twice in a day, even if I reset the shuffle by running it through the PowerBook at work. Still got 3 gig left to play with.

As for looks, it rarely comes out of it's case, the remote is great for travelling, and it'd be a great way to get mugged, displaying it on a south London tube train:eek:

Bottom line: Go buy an iPod, they are the mutts nuts.

MacFan25
May 14, 2003, 07:58 PM
i would go for the new ipod. this is mainly because of the battery. i would be afraid that i might buy a used ipod and then a month later, have the battery die. :eek:

i love my new 10 GB. i really like the new design and touch-buttons! :)

MUrhino
May 14, 2003, 08:58 PM
I used one of the new ones today in our bookstore and was amazed at how light and thin it was. It seems like it's half the thickness of the old ones. And as for the touch sensetive controls...they were amazingly easy to control. I didn't like the touch sensetive wheel on the old iPod (my thumb got stuck....too much friction or something), but these controls work great!

sparks9
May 15, 2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by MUrhino
I used one of the new ones today in our bookstore and was amazed at how light and thin it was. It seems like it's half the thickness of the old ones. And as for the touch sensetive controls...they were amazingly easy to control. I didn't like the touch sensetive wheel on the old iPod (my thumb got stuck....too much friction or something), but these controls work great!

The wheel on the old and the new is the same.

mmmdreg
May 15, 2003, 06:19 AM
new one all the way. I checked it the other day. It's beautiful in every way.

gopher
May 15, 2003, 09:14 AM
My only problems with the new iPod are:
1. The ticking problem between tracks which hasn't been fixed yet, and Apple is working on getting fixed. Keep an eye on Apple's site for a 2.1 firmware update or something of the like hopefully to fix that problem, as it is ticking many people off.
2. Cradle no longer works with a standard 6 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable but has to use the cable that comes attached tot he cable.

The original iPod would take any 6 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable.

sparks9
May 15, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by gopher
My only problems with the new iPod are:
1. The ticking problem between tracks which hasn't been fixed yet, and Apple is working on getting fixed. Keep an eye on Apple's site for a 2.1 firmware update or something of the like hopefully to fix that problem, as it is ticking many people off.
2. Cradle no longer works with a standard 6 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable but has to use the cable that comes attached tot he cable.

The original iPod would take any 6 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable.

May I add:
3. Shorter battery life (8 vs. 10 hours).

somecows
May 15, 2003, 04:24 PM
personally, i think more should be made of the new ipod shape. i guess 'shape' is the wrong word but i always found the flat face of the old ones to be rather off-putting. the fact that the face of the old ones was totally flat meant that it had very sharp edges. this just didn't appeal to me on an aesthetic level. the new ones have a smooth, rounded face with curved edges (it looks just like a teeny little ibook, really) and even though its technically not much smaller than the old ones, i feel that the new design makes it much more pleasing to hold and makes it appear way smaller. just my opinion.

Wardofsky
May 15, 2003, 08:59 PM
I think you should rank your needs:

1. Storage
2. Software (Games, On-the-go...)

Aesthetics is up to you but it is what'sinside that counts.