PDA

View Full Version : Apple is the Opposite of Terrorism

Marble
Jan 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
What does it mean??? :confused:

I can't decide if this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard or one of the most profound. Well, actually I can.

Zwhaler
Jan 10, 2007, 11:28 PM
I swear I heard that somewhere... was it the MW Keynote?

mrkramer
Jan 10, 2007, 11:30 PM
What does it mean??? :confused:

I can't decide if this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard or one of the most profound. Well, actually I can.

Where did you hear it?

Koodauw
Jan 10, 2007, 11:38 PM
John Mayer says it at the end of the Keynote speech. It is between songs, and right before he performs Waiting on the World to change.

I wouldn't classify it as profound. More towards the other end.

Zwhaler
Jan 10, 2007, 11:41 PM
John Mayer says it at the end of the Keynote speech. It is between songs, and right before he performs Waiting on the World to change.

I wouldn't classify it as profound. More towards the other end.

That's where I heard it...

Yeah it doesn't make much sense, but makes Apple look good so I guess that's a plus.

dpaanlka
Jan 10, 2007, 11:42 PM
That doesn't really make any sense.

Grimace
Jan 10, 2007, 11:43 PM
[sort of off topic]

I had this weird dream that the US military found old audio or video tapes from an former Osama Bin Laden hideout.

he said something to the effect of, "we shouldn't hurt any of these mac people -- this OSX thing is pretty cool"

dreams are so weird. :confused:

Zwhaler
Jan 10, 2007, 11:56 PM
[sort of off topic]

I had this weird dream that the US military found old audio or video tapes from an former Osama Bin Laden hideout.

he said something to the effect of, "we shouldn't hurt any of these mac people -- this OSX thing is pretty cool"

Haha!! I love it!

irmongoose
Jan 11, 2007, 12:27 AM
The opposite of terrorism, what a dumb thing to say.

irmongoose

After G
Jan 11, 2007, 01:06 AM
John Mayer's comment deserves a WTF :confused: :confused:
Yup, double confused!

solvs
Jan 11, 2007, 01:42 AM
Apple is good. Terrorism is bad. Not much else to make of it. It's John Mayer we're talking about, what are you expecting. :p

(I kid John Mayer)

TheAnswer
Jan 11, 2007, 01:46 AM
I think this may spring from that line in Rent "The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation."

Abstract
Jan 11, 2007, 02:26 AM
He probably quoted one of Jessica Simpson's random brain farts.

Marble
Jan 11, 2007, 02:33 AM
And then there was that obscene little chuckle he gave afterwards. :o

calculus
Jan 12, 2007, 02:38 AM
More proof that musicians should stick to music.

Henri Gaudier
Jan 12, 2007, 04:15 AM
Capitalism Is Terrorism.

irmongoose
Jan 12, 2007, 04:16 AM
I'm sorry... what?

irmongoose

Scarlet Fever
Jan 12, 2007, 04:31 AM
he said something like "Apple lets people enjoy their lives, kinda like the opposite of terrorism". It's a stupid comparison, but I can see what he means.

Henri Gaudier
Jan 12, 2007, 04:41 AM
Capitalism is a dehumanising tyrant and if one reviews history it clearly demonstrates that "it" has killed more people than any terrorist organisation. From "manifest destiny" with its ambitions to commodify people and places and to commit genocide in order to achieve it - to what is happening in Iraq. Consider the blockade of Iraq - the UN states that over half a million children died, you remember the one where Albright said the price was worth paying? It was capitalism. The West didn't ask for better treatment of the Marsh Arabs or better social conditions for the Iraqi people - it demanded oil for production, for industry, to achieve domination. Capitalist have attempted to destroy every socially, environmentally progressive idea throughout their entire history. Serfs, workers, peasants in general have been murdered in their millions by the owners of wealth and of production trying to achieve basics like unionisation, suffrage and the like. It would take days to explain fully my first remark but you get the idea .....?

iW00t
Jan 12, 2007, 04:49 AM
Apple is all about control.

However it is a good kind of control, unlike terror, Apple spreads love and happiness, even though these comes at the cost of empty wallets :rolleyes:

irmongoose
Jan 12, 2007, 04:57 AM
What nonsense. Without Capitalism there would be no progress in this world. It is because of Capitalism that companies like Apple can exist - the fact that one has to earn the respect and attention of the people in order to have them give their hard-earned money for your product. The fact that rivals exist pushes people to do better and outrun the competition. Without capitalism most facets of life that we enjoy today would not exist - it is what creates the fountain of creativity and fosters fulfilling lives. It is capitalism that provides the rewards for a job well done - it is capitalism that introduced a fair and balanced system for give and take. Without capitalism, there would be no incentive for the great minds of this world to create what they have created. It is the incentive of gaining due respect in the form of usable, universal money that drives people to do better and spread their genius to the world. The fact that there are those who take advantage of this system - the best thing that has happened to mankind since the Renaissance - does not demean the importance and excellence of Capitalism itself.

irmongoose

FleurDuMal
Jan 12, 2007, 04:59 AM
Does that mean "Windows is Terrorism'?

That'd be a good advertising campaign. Only slightly less obnoxious than the "I'm a Mac" adverts. Perhaps they need to replace the PC guy with Osama Bin Laden.

pseudobrit
Jan 12, 2007, 10:18 PM
Does that mean "Windows is Terrorism'?

I would simply say "Windows is not the opposite of terrorism."

uNext
Jan 12, 2007, 11:19 PM
He is probably saying how apple dumbs down its users by making everything so fisher price EASY like
that its the opposite OF WHAT WINDOWS IS WHICH INPUTS FEAR INTO EVERY USER (will it crash,virus etc)

Terrorism-Main power is inputting fear to stop acts againts its movement.
Apple-Play skool easy to put fear into its users so that everything else is extremely hard so they stick with apple ease of use. So there for lets you enjoy apple life.

I miss the old computer days when you learned something new everyday and any computer accomplishment felt like you conquered the world.

valdore
Jan 12, 2007, 11:23 PM
[sort of off topic]

Fanboy! ;)

Anyway, Apple has a kind of anti-establishment, counter culture vibe going for it, and it's what the company takes advantage of in its contemporary advertising schemes.

dllavaneras
Jan 12, 2007, 11:26 PM
However it is a good kind of control, unlike terror, Apple spreads love and happiness, even though these comes at the cost of empty wallets :rolleyes:

No terror, huh? Sheer panic is what Apple spreads the day before a keynote in these forums. :rolleyes:

Hadley
Jan 13, 2007, 02:42 AM
he delivered it awkwardly, but i thought it was pretty obvious he was just making a joke. along the lines of calling someone a terrorist because they dont like baseball or apple pie....i thought it was hilarious

skunk
Jan 13, 2007, 05:54 AM
It is capitalism that provides the rewards for a job well done - it is capitalism that introduced a fair and balanced system for give and take.Back to school with you! This is absolute nonsense.

dextertangocci
Jan 13, 2007, 09:17 AM
What a stupid thing to say.

I had no idea what he meant when I watched the keynote:confused:

combatcolin
Jan 13, 2007, 12:06 PM
Wouldn't the opposite of terrorism be debate?

illegalprelude
Jan 13, 2007, 04:07 PM
ok thank god, I thought I just heard that accidentally. So he did say that. Yea, it was one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.

mojohanna
Jan 13, 2007, 04:14 PM
Capitalism Is Terrorism.

OH god, do we have to put up with stuff like this?

irmongoose
Jan 13, 2007, 10:04 PM
Back to school with you! This is absolute nonsense.

How so, my good sir?

irmongoose

Xeem
Jan 14, 2007, 12:56 AM
I definitely winced when John Mayer delivered that line (and in an awkward, tacked-on-thought sort of way to make it even worse). I'm guessing that John Mayer is probably regretting saying it quite a bit.

...at least the music was good!

wmmk
Jan 14, 2007, 01:30 AM

did somebody say debate? I suppose jsw, mkrishnan, and I better prepare some affirmative constructive speech, but we all must remember our
S (ignificance)
H (arms)
I (nherency)
T (opicality)
S (olvency)
:D

solvs
Jan 14, 2007, 02:12 AM

I think *hugs* are the opposite of terrorism.

Yeah, I don't know.

michaelsaxon
Jan 14, 2007, 09:17 AM
Capitalism is a dehumanising tyrant and if one reviews history it clearly demonstrates that "it" has killed more people than any terrorist organisation. From "manifest destiny" with its ambitions to commodify people and places and to commit genocide in order to achieve it - to what is happening in Iraq. Consider the blockade of Iraq - the UN states that over half a million children died, you remember the one where Albright said the price was worth paying? It was capitalism. The West didn't ask for better treatment of the Marsh Arabs or better social conditions for the Iraqi people - it demanded oil for production, for industry, to achieve domination. Capitalist have attempted to destroy every socially, environmentally progressive idea throughout their entire history. Serfs, workers, peasants in general have been murdered in their millions by the owners of wealth and of production trying to achieve basics like unionisation, suffrage and the like. It would take days to explain fully my first remark but you get the idea .....?

Aye, comrade!

michaelsaxon
Jan 14, 2007, 09:18 AM
Back to school with you! This is absolute nonsense.

What arrogance!

Annndy!
Jan 14, 2007, 09:25 AM
I may or may not have giggled like a schoolgirl while reading this thread.

John's one of my favorite artists but...WTF :confused: