PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the iPhone Secret

MacRumors
Jan 11, 2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

CNN.com (http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/10/commentary/lewis_fortune_iphone.fortune/index.htm) has an interesting article about the secrecy surrounding the Apple iPhone. What's been remarkable about the iPhone launch is that few accurate details of the phone were leaked prior to the launch. Part of Apple's success in keeping the details under wraps is the 5 month lead-time on the announcement. That being said, their level of secrecy, even with their wireless provider has reached new levels:

Even so, Apple didn't show Cingular the final iPhone prototype until just weeks before this week's debut. In some cases, Apple crafted bogus handset prototypes to show not just to Cingular executives, but also to Apple's own workers.

This would explain why even though knowledge of an iPhone product was widespread, the exact details of the device were successfully shielded.

In the coming days, we will look back at rumors and recap where the most accurate information came from.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
It must be so freakin cool working for them.

Whiteapple
Jan 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
Yes, where is our "candy-bar form factor" iPhone? :rolleyes:

Poff
Jan 11, 2007, 10:54 AM
Imo, this is what makes Apple one of the coolest companies out there..

Btw. I really hope they open up the platform to other software. A java-enabler or something. Not being able to play Worms on my phone would really suck. :(

And I hope they release a bluetooth keyboard for sms and email too. Typing on a screen sounds difficult. As long as you don't have a phone such as the Neonode, where you actually don't have to touch the screen. (I've always wanted the neonode, btw, since it had no buttons and a big screen. Good thing Apple caught up and made something similar, but even better.)

http://smartfons.by.ru/images/neonode.jpg http://www.movilgamers.com/said/inc/load/Worms%20Open%20Warfare%20Mobile_3.jpg

Frisco
Jan 11, 2007, 10:57 AM
I love Apple! They are more secretive than the CIA.

LastZion
Jan 11, 2007, 10:57 AM
Well done apple, secrets are hard to keep.

MrFirework
Jan 11, 2007, 11:02 AM
It is impressive, with so many working so hard to find these secrets that they kept it locked down so well.

Truly astounding.

Bravo.

Poff
Jan 11, 2007, 11:03 AM
Yes, where is our "candy-bar form factor" iPhone? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I actually really wanted that phone! I really hope they make a phone sized like the iPod nano if the current iPhone gets successful..

Poff
Jan 11, 2007, 11:05 AM
It must be so freakin cool working for them.

Must be terrible working for them. Sacrificing your family and free-time. Don't even get to know what you're making. Cool for the single ones with the top-jobs, bad for the married ones with lower jobs.

twoodcc
Jan 11, 2007, 11:06 AM
wow, so they basically lied to cingular and their own workers? i guess that's one way to do it ....

p0intblank
Jan 11, 2007, 11:07 AM
Great article; I loved reading it! :) I love Apple. They're such an interesting company, especially when compared to everyone else out there. They do things differently.

Clive At Five
Jan 11, 2007, 11:08 AM
I reread 10 people whose reputations rest on the release of an Apple Cell Phone (http://applecredibility.blogspot.com/2007/01/10-people-whose-reputations-rest-on.html) following the announcement and thought to myself, "Funny, really, that each of them got something right and something wrong." By the amount that Shaw Wu has been blabbing about the device, I can bet Apple knows who his source is... especially on account of this statement:

In some cases, Apple crafted bogus handset prototypes to show not just to Cingular executives, but also to Apple's own workers.
Oh, Apple. I love your Kage tactics, you paranoid freaks.

-Clive

mainstreetmark
Jan 11, 2007, 11:09 AM
Imo, this is what makes Apple one of the coolest companies out there..

Btw. I really hope they open up the platform to other software. A java-enabler or something. Not being able to play Worms on my phone would really suck. :(

I gotta believe that this WILL be an open platform. After all, who cares that it runs OSX or not if you, the owner, don't get to do stuff with it.

My feelings are that the phone is running the iPhone version of Leopard, and that when Leopard is released, you'll be able to write apps for iPhone with Xcode. Res-independence and all that kind of stuff.

EagerDragon
Jan 11, 2007, 11:13 AM
Must be terrible working for them. Sacrificing your family and free-time. Don't even get to know what you're making. Cool for the single ones with the top-jobs, bad for the married ones with lower jobs.

I been in a lot of companies + the goverment, where your location and what you are working on is not allowed to be discussed with family or friends. They get used to it (family) or you wind up in divorce court.

Lets see ..... 3rd wife now, starting a nice collection, LOL.

Rocketman
Jan 11, 2007, 11:14 AM
I refer yu to my Macrumors posts with the string "make it so".

I am not under Apple NDA.

Rocketman

EagerDragon
Jan 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
I refer yu to my Macrumors posts with the string "make it so".

I am not under Apple NDA.

Rocketman

Want to copy it here or tell us where?
I did search for those words and it gave me a heck of a lot of forums, you are very prolofic at posting so you are all over the site.

bbydon
Jan 11, 2007, 11:29 AM
i wonder who jobs is going to send to kill all the leakers of the fake phone.

whooleytoo
Jan 11, 2007, 11:33 AM

Actually, it's funny working for them. For months you'd work with a prototype system that bore no relation to the final product (the prototype cube was almost a foot tall, and the TiBook was in a clear 'plastic' box about the size of a thick phone book); then you'd watch the keynote, see the final form factor and wonder how they hell they fit all that in there. It's pretty much been that way for every product since the first iMac.

I am impressed they've kept this one so well under wraps, considering - more than most Apple products - it required a lot of 3rd party collaboration.

Poff
Jan 11, 2007, 11:57 AM
I been in a lot of companies + the goverment, where your location and what you are working on is not allowed to be discussed with family or friends. They get used to it (family) or you wind up in divorce court.

Hehe.. so most don't get used to it?

My point with apple is that their families don't see them for months at a time. And that's hard for both children and partner. To believe anything else is to believe a lie. :)

sbrhwkp3
Jan 11, 2007, 12:00 PM
Very well done Apple. I can't believe they went as far as making decoys to keep it a secret.

wonderkid
Jan 11, 2007, 12:05 PM
I have been following the 'iPhone' since, ooh, 7 years ago! Who owns iphone.org? (Take a looksi.) And did any MacRumors readers follow up on these guys - who not only make the iPod scroll wheel / touch sensors but whose concept device includes one or two iPhone innovations, such as detecting when the phone is held to the ear:http://www.synaptics.com/onyx/

unregbaron
Jan 11, 2007, 12:11 PM
Multiple dummy phones and 'revealing' them to different people is a shrewd move: you can then track who's leaking what to whom. I wonder if Kevin Rose was one of the victims?

Stella
Jan 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
As good products as Apple release, I'd hate to work for them.

Companies must strike a balance between their needs and the needs of employees. Life is not all work work work and one that revolves solely around your employer.

A happy employee is a productive employee, mostly!

However, it is impressive how Apple kept it all a secret.

I hope the employees and their families didn't suffer too much due to over work etc.

theheadguy
Jan 11, 2007, 12:29 PM
Companies must strike a balance between their needs and the needs of employees. Life is not all work work work and one that revolves solely around your employer.

Agreed. I am much happier as just a user now. Not to say I wouldn't go back if the next position offered more of a personal life. It is possible to work there and be very happy, but I think most people see the cool product and imagine that all the work there must just be awesome.

garfield2002
Jan 11, 2007, 12:34 PM
I am glad to hear that Apple has sucessfully tightened security. With the large amounts of leaked information in the most recent set of product releases I was starting to worry that Apple was losing its' touch. As long as the announced products continue to live up to expectations, this type of business model is great. I say this becuase, even though there are 5+ months until the release of the iPhone, the product seems tangible and real. This is in sharp contrast to other companies who RUSH to announce a product that may never see the light of day. Good job Apple. :)

Peel
Jan 11, 2007, 12:39 PM
In some cases, Apple crafted bogus handset prototypes to show not just to Cingular executives, but also to Apple's own workers.

This may be the case, but I highly doubt it. In creating something as new (for Apple) as a phone, and going after a wholly new user interface, I'm sure that there were scores of different designs/form factors studied during the design process. And many of these would go through prototyping in order to work out issues of ergonomics, usability, and durability. With today's technology of rapid prototyping it's becoming easier to try out design variations than it ever has in the past. That being the case, I believe that the "bogus" models that some at Cingular and Apple have seen, were merely a few contenders among a myriad of design alternates that were run in parallel by Apple.

Stridder44
Jan 11, 2007, 12:47 PM
wow, so they basically lied to cingular and their own workers? i guess that's one way to do it ....

Well ya, apparently they HAVE to do it because people still leak info even though they we're told not to. I'd do it too if I were Jobs. And anyone who knows Apple knows that thats their whole thing. The secrecy. No one knows anything except some bleak rumor and then suddenly BAM! New product! And then we're all amazed.

asphalt-proof
Jan 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
I really hope that they will open it to third party developers. There is just so much opportunity for this phone to impact a variety of areas that they would be kind of shooting themselves in the foot. Closing up the iPod makes sense because there isn't a whole lot you can do with it besides play music and/or use it as an external hard drive. A gadget like this, however, can be manipulated and implemented in so many different ways that to NOT exploit its potential would be... (hyperbole escapes me at this moment, sorry.:p )
If they added a way to edit documents, work with Outlook, sync wirelessly, and a 3rd party docking station that allowed keyboard, mouse and small screen and I will ditch this POS Gateway at work and never look back (except to look back and laugh at my Gateway-stricken colleagues)

buddhagoth
Jan 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
I really hope that they will open it to third party developers.

I have the same hope. I can see why initially they'd not wanting others messing with it as that might cause user-usability problems and derail the initial experience of the first folks to get one.

But if the iPhone is running some version of OSX, wouldn't that mean that the X-Code platform could or would work to develop apps for it?

Cordially,
BG

Stella
Jan 11, 2007, 01:20 PM
I have the same hope. I can see why initially they'd not wanting others messing with it as that might cause user-usability problems and derail the initial experience of the first folks to get one.

But if the iPhone is running some version of OSX, wouldn't that mean that the X-Code platform could or would work to develop apps for it?

Cordially,
BG

I expect they did use XCode. But are apple going to offer developers the other requirements such as SDKs, documentation el al. If iPHone runs on non intel hardware then they've got other requirements too..

dual64bit
Jan 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
I agree that perhaps it shouldn't be opened at first. Afterall this is a breath taking product that has certain expectations of its users (based upon the demos). If an app derailed from the specific uses or the overall brilliant experiences when using the device, then the device no longer seems as "cool", or "hip"......

mmmcheese
Jan 11, 2007, 02:01 PM

A happy employee is a productive employee, mostly!

However, it is impressive how Apple kept it all a secret.

I hope the employees and their families didn't suffer too much due to over work etc.

I expect they are well compensated...if they weren't, people wouldn't stay.

RealMcCoy
Jan 11, 2007, 02:11 PM
Honestly I´m kinda confused about the ongoing "this & that" about the whole iPhone thingy ! The iPhone is fantastic and I can´t wait till it is out there but instead talking about the whole time of the "how´s, when´s & why´s" in connection to the iPhone ... what about the rest of the "roadmap" ? What about iLife 07, iWork08 ... a new MacPro, Leopard and on and on ... ?

Wouldn´t hurt to squeeze some questions about the other coming products in while you´re at it, investigating the "IPhone Case" ;o)

paja
Jan 11, 2007, 02:31 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/11/iphone-and-lg-ke850-separated-at-birth/

The LG was announced long before the iPhone.

The LG has already won a design award. Did Apple rip off LG?

darwen
Jan 11, 2007, 02:38 PM
Not sure if anyone has said it... this would explain why Kevin Rose was wrong. He saw the wrong phone.

Rocketman
Jan 11, 2007, 02:56 PM
Want to copy it here or tell us where?
I did search for those words and it gave me a heck of a lot of forums, you are very prolofic at posting so you are all over the site.

The search feature on this site does indeed seem crippled. I too could not find it.

Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22make+it+so%22+%2B+rocketman+%2B+macrumors&btnG=Google+Search

Rocketman

kevmbpro
Jan 11, 2007, 02:56 PM
Why I would go for a new iPod over an iPhone for a while:
(1) If I were going to spring 600 bucks on a "convergence" device, I would want something that would actually replace my ipod - all 23 gigs of my music/photos/video podcasts. I mean, it is widescreen with brilliant video - but only 8 Gigs? Perhaps as a nano replacement it works...But it is no full ipod replacement with only 8 Gigs of memory...
(2)Apple tends to wildly exaggerate battery life, so if they say 5 hours -I take it with a grain of salt and wonder - what if it is something miserable, like 2 in real world conditions? Without a user-replaceable battery, it has to have some good battery life unless you want to be saddled with a charger at home, work, car, etc...
(3) If I so much as glance at my ipod screen, it scratches - hopefully it is more smudge-scratch proof than it seems...

Finally, the software is closed - so you have to wait for Apple to release a "widget" that you could really use but Apple hasn't released it yet.

Stella
Jan 11, 2007, 03:09 PM
I expect they are well compensated...if they weren't, people wouldn't stay.

I hope they were - but money isn't everything... you need a life.

I've seen that link before - looked at the pictures and assumed I was looking at all iPhone pictures ( I didn't read the text ).

Indeed, it initially seems that Apple did rip them off.

guzhogi
Jan 11, 2007, 03:17 PM
Today in the Chicago Tribune (maybe yesterday's), right there on the front cover was an article about the iPhone. I'd like to get one when it comes out. Since I don't have a cell phone, I think it's about time.

As for a user removable battery, I think that would be a good idea. It'll let you keep using the iPhone for a while, plus I'd like it to have SOME depth to it. I have a US video iPod and it's kinda hard to hold since it's small compared to my hands.

I'd also like to see a tablet Mac; something like PADDS on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space 9 & Voyager. Preferably with a docking station so you can use it as a monitor.

siurpeeman
Jan 11, 2007, 03:21 PM
every time i see steve thanking the families for the sacrifices apple employees make, i get a little sad. family time is important.

Poff
Jan 11, 2007, 03:52 PM
I hope they were - but money isn't everything... you need a life.

True. Actually, it seems money has very little to do with happiness. And how do money help you when your wife or housband leaves, or your children believe you don't love them. (I have a friend whose father had to travel a lot because of work. To make a long story short, something potentially bad happened to my friend over a couple of days. I told his father, but my friend actually didn't believe me later when I told him how worried his father had been. My friend didn't believe his father could ever care. That's really sad.)

Poff
Jan 11, 2007, 03:53 PM

If so, the LG ripped off the phone I posted on page 1. Dialing, texting and stuff works pretty much the same way as these two.

Does the phone support MMS, by the way? It would be strange if it didn't, but I can't see anywhere to send MMS.. :eek:

clevin
Jan 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
unbelievable, somebody want to work for a company lying to its own employee as well as partner? does it have so little faith in their own employee?

This is how a close source world becomes, ridiculous.

Detektiv-Pinky
Jan 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
I am glad to hear that Apple has sucessfully tightened security. With the large amounts of leaked information in the most recent set of product releases I was starting to worry that Apple was losing its' touch. As long as the announced products continue to live up to expectations, this type of business model is great. I say this becuase, even though there are 5+ months until the release of the iPhone, the product seems tangible and real. This is in sharp contrast to other companies who RUSH to announce a product that may never see the light of day. Good job Apple. :)

I do not understand why this amount of secrecy is good.

I rather think it is bad for the prompt securing of relvant trademarks such as iPhone. Apple could not claim it since this would have give away their precious secret.
However, everybody knew that something was in the making, so it was quite easy to be first to grab the most probable name for the device and make Apple blead. I guess they speculated on a small company doing it. To bad it is Cisco now that was so quick to realise what they have in their hands...

bogen
Jan 11, 2007, 04:14 PM
It is very amazing I have to say.

QuarterSwede
Jan 11, 2007, 04:26 PM

Me and my family got used to it. My father's been working for a defense contractor since before I was born (25+ years). I've never known of what projects or systems he's been working on and for a long time didn't even know where he worked. All he would say is up north. All with good reason since every few years they are required to take a poly test and have to pass.

The company (several actually) decided to open it's secure door for one day and only one day for a family day. Going into the building was nothing out of the ordinary (except for the armed military guards at the entrance to the facility. It all looked like a normal office building for the DC area except for one conference room with 3 foot thick vault doors. It truly did look like the conference room from the X-files. I mean, same beautiful long wood table with low lighting and a string of chairs around the outer edge of the room. The only difference was the abnormally large projection TV that was showing all the unclassified satellites above the Earth (it looked like a garbage dump up there).

But the iPhone. Yeah, I'm pretty impressed that they seemed to keep it a secret for so long. And I sure and impressed by the device. Good grief it's beautiful.

Poff
Jan 11, 2007, 04:32 PM
I do not understand why this amount of secrecy is good.

I rather think it is bad for the prompt securing of relvant trademarks such as iPhone. Apple could not claim it since this would have give away their precious secret.
However, everybody knew that something was in the making, so it was quite easy to be first to grab the most probable name for the device and make Apple blead. I guess they speculated on a small company doing it. To bad it is Cisco now that was so quick to realise what they have in their hands...

They've had the trademark for 10 years, no? I believe few suspected Apple would call their product iPhone 10 years ago, let alone make mp3-players and phones...

farmboy
Jan 11, 2007, 04:36 PM
No one said the Apple employees working on the iPhone NEVER saw their families, Poff. Scandinavians have a perception that everyone ought to have half a year off and work 4 hours a day, and have the employer pay for everything. Everywhere else it's a little different--sometimes you have to put in overtime. If you're a salaried employee (the lower people you're concerned about) you get compensated for the time at time and a half, double time or triple time, so it's not such a sacrifice as you seem to think. And executive employees are compensated to include extra time they may have to put in occasionally.

It's called "Work" not "Play", and you have to do it to survive.

Stridder44
Jan 11, 2007, 04:40 PM
unbelievable, somebody want to work for a company lying to its own employee as well as partner? does it have so little faith in their own employee?

This is how a close source world becomes, ridiculous.

Are you kidding? Apple tells their employees they need to keep what they're working on a secret. Obviously they fail at that and "rumors" leak out (which changed recently after a couple of lawsuits by Apple).

Apple trusted it's employees, and some of them failed. Thus, they can no longer be trusted. I don't see the complications here...and it's not like Apple locked them up to prevent them from seeing family and having a normal life. Way to blow it out of proportions.

Doctor Q
Jan 11, 2007, 04:43 PM

I wonder if any of them looked anything like this one (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060913215342.shtml), posted by a well-known rumor site.

Whistleway
Jan 11, 2007, 04:49 PM

Wow. That looks really nice. I wonder when it would be in US and how much. Maybe if they are under 200, I would def buy one !

manu chao
Jan 11, 2007, 05:04 PM
I was completely wowed by the iPhone and probably will get one when they come to Europe. The only thing is, I actually do not need a smart phone like this. O.k. there might have been a handfull of occasions when it would have nice to having had access to my e-mail on my cell phone or even the internet but then I am basically constantly carrying my MBP with me around wherever I go. And simply stuff like train schedules are easily available via SMS.

My phone currently serves basically only as (duh) a phone (w/ an address book synched to my computer) and as an SMS device. Occasionally I check the calender to see whether e.g. the 15 February is a Monday or a Tuesday, all things for the next to two weeks are usually in my head anyway. As I carry my phone always in my trouser's pocket, its main virtue is to be small. Which my Razr fullfills.

The iPhone will replace my iPod. Something nice to have with you but not as essential as a wallet, a cell phone or my keys. I might therefore keep a small phone in addition to an iPhone.

Poff
Jan 11, 2007, 05:28 PM
No one said the Apple employees working on the iPhone NEVER saw their families, Poff. Scandinavians have a perception that everyone ought to have half a year off and work 4 hours a day, and have the employer pay for everything. Everywhere else it's a little different--sometimes you have to put in overtime. If you're a salaried employee (the lower people you're concerned about) you get compensated for the time at time and a half, double time or triple time, so it's not such a sacrifice as you seem to think. And executive employees are compensated to include extra time they may have to put in occasionally.

It's called "Work" not "Play", and you have to do it to survive.

Of course they saw their families, but from time to time you hear that a lot of people working for Apple thinks they have too much overtime. And Apple is worse than a lot of other companies.

Half the year off and 4 hour days would be a dream :) But then again the normal scandinavian (or norwegian atleast) have 5 weeks off/year and 8 hour days.

You seem to believe extra pay compensates for the loss of spending time with your family. Well, most studies shows that it does not. Some overtime is acceptable, but if you have to go a month or two and work long nights every night, it is definitely not acceptable.

EagerDragon
Jan 11, 2007, 05:32 PM
Well ya, apparently they HAVE to do it because people still leak info even though they we're told not to. I'd do it too if I were Jobs. And anyone who knows Apple knows that thats their whole thing. The secrecy. No one knows anything except some bleak rumor and then suddenly BAM! New product! And then we're all amazed.

Not that different from a movie. You know all the pieces you were involved in but you really don't know what is in the mind of the director and producer. Then the editor goes and cuts a few versions and a final decision gets made. Some are made with no background, it is added later. So the first time they see it played is a big surprize.

EagerDragon
Jan 11, 2007, 05:52 PM
Me and my family got used to it. My father's been working for a defense contractor since before I was born (25+ years). I've never known of what projects or systems he's been working on and for a long time didn't even know where he worked. All he would say is up north. All with good reason since every few years they are required to take a poly test and have to pass.

The company (several actually) decided to open it's secure door for one day and only one day for a family day. Going into the building was nothing out of the ordinary (except for the armed military guards at the entrance to the facility. It all looked like a normal office building for the DC area except for one conference room with 3 foot thick vault doors. It truly did look like the conference room from the X-files. I mean, same beautiful long wood table with low lighting and a string of chairs around the outer edge of the room. The only difference was the abnormally large projection TV that was showing all the unclassified satellites above the Earth (it looked like a garbage dump up there).

But the iPhone. Yeah, I'm pretty impressed that they seemed to keep it a secret for so long. And I sure and impressed by the device. Good grief it's beautiful.

LOL If I worked there, the employees would be blind folded and turned a bunch of times around on the way to the office, padded and scanned for electronics. Thats just to get to the building, once there ........

Leondunkleyc
Jan 11, 2007, 08:08 PM

beanb0x
Jan 12, 2007, 03:31 AM
I don't know about you all but I feel like kevin rose nailed the prediction the best. I watched his video on youtube.com and after that I knew that it was only a keynote announcement away.

MrKobie
Jan 12, 2007, 04:29 AM
Why is everybody congratulating them for keeping it secret? Keeping it all under wraps serves nobody but apple by maximizing the hype.

Well done to Jobs though - not many people could get a standing ovation for telling people he's going to charge them 600 dollars for a souped-up camera phone.

Also, I very much doubt it'll be an open platform. Like the iPod games - why would they let you download/write your own apps when they can charge you a premium for the ones they sell?

Revolution? Tell me when it starts.

Peel
Jan 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
Why is everybody congratulating them for keeping it secret? Keeping it all under wraps serves nobody but apple by maximizing the hype.

Are you kidding? keeping it secret let's them get to market first without being ripped off.

They've been working on this for a few years right? and there are dozens of innovations in the iPhone. If knowledge of the specifics of it were public a year or so ago, I have no doubt that some other company would go to market with one or two of the phone's innovations before Apple was ready with one that has all that it does. So then Apple would be faced with the choice of also going to market with a phone with only a couple new things, or risk being scooped.

iW00t
Jan 12, 2007, 02:00 PM
Very well done Apple. I can't believe they went as far as making decoys to keep it a secret.

That is why Apple stuff costs so much, all these decoys must have cost a lot of money... an unnecessary expense incurred only by Apple due to Steve's paranoia :mad:

macEfan
Jan 12, 2007, 03:25 PM
wow, apple will go along way to keep things secritive... fake devices for their own employees....sneaky!