PDA

View Full Version : Ipod as mass storage on windows machine

Quboid
Jan 11, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hey guys,
I want some quick help here. I am trying to connect my iPod as a mass storage device on my freind's windows laptop. But everytime i connect it, they ask me if i want to format in itunes. You guys have any advice?

psychofreak
Jan 11, 2007, 02:03 PM
If you format it then you will lose your music...

Quboid
Jan 11, 2007, 02:07 PM
If you format it then you will lose your music...
Thanks, i had no idea. But how do i avoid that.

jsw
Jan 11, 2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks, i ahd no idea. But how do i avoid that.
I believe that a Mac-formatted iPod is not readable in Windows, but a Windows formatted one is readable on a Mac. Presumably, yours is Mac-formatted. If you reformat it, you'll lose all the info but will henceforth be able to use it on both platforms... but, unless you reformat it, you'll never be able to use it on a Windows system.

balamw
Jan 11, 2007, 02:12 PM
FWIW you can't update the iPod firmware for a Windows formatted iPod on a Mac. Normal use is fine, but if you want to update the firmware you need to reformat to Mac and then back to Windows again on a PC.

You could also just install MacDrive on the PC if you want to keep your iPod Mac formatted.

B

ChrisBrightwell
Jan 11, 2007, 02:23 PM
You have to format (reset?) it on a Windows version of iTunes to get it formatted to FAT32. From there, you can load your music onto it using either version (Mac or PC) of iTunes.

Use iTunes to enable disk usage, plug it into the PC, and enjoy.

Quboid
Jan 11, 2007, 02:41 PM
You have to format (reset?) it on a Windows version of iTunes to get it formatted to FAT32. From there, you can load your music onto it using either version (Mac or PC) of iTunes.

Use iTunes to enable disk usage, plug it into the PC, and enjoy.

many thanks chris.