Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
It is bringing Aperture to its knees. I'm on a 2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook and have 2GB ram.

I want to keep the files as 134mb tiffs for archival purposes, but i DONT want Aperture to display the 134mb files when i'm browsing through. What's the point of spending all night "processing previews" if the program doesn't even bother making use of them??? i mean, this is just ridiculous. just changing the metadata takes 5-10 seconds to process.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
wow. that's alot of photos at a large size. i have to wonder if a mac pro would suit your needs better? maybe alot more horsepower for what you are doing? even that, that is a large file size per that many photos.

then again, i've never used aperture so i don't know the intimate details of that program, for what it's worth :)

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Alright. I'm in the same situation- 1200dpi scans of old photos in .tiff (~130-150MB each) running on a MBP 2.33 with 2 Gigs of RAM. What I do is I copy the full scans to an external HD, and then down-size versions into jpegs, which I can run without causing smoke to come out the back. The simplest way to do this is to make a plug in with Automator. This was in Macworld about 7 months ago. Here is the link to the article: http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/features/newlife/index2.php ; it's on page 3. This way you have all your pictures at whatever size you want (a scale to 2500 pixels will yield a ~5MP image), and, if needed, you can always access them from your external.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
one idea is to program the actions in photoshop to resize the images to something more managable and save them. It may take like 3 days! but afterwards you could archive the the huge files and then browse thru the resized ones.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Photoshop action to resize is really your best bet. Take each image and back it up to an external hard drive AND a DVD. Don't use those cheaper DVDs either (trust me on this one) and then set a photoshop action to resize. I've done 800 10mb files overnight. It was rough I'm sure but I was sleeping soundly as my powerbook 1.67ghz ran like hell.

djdawson

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Minnesota
If you're willing to noodle around in the Terminal and mess with some shell scripting you might find the "sips" command useful. It can convert images between different formats, resize them, etc. Since it's a Terminal command it might be faster than an Automator or AppleScript solution. Do a "man sips" in the Terminal for more info.

HTH

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
If you're willing to noodle around in the Terminal and mess with some shell scripting you might find the "sips" command useful. It can convert images between different formats, resize them, etc. Since it's a Terminal command it might be faster than an Automator or AppleScript solution. Do a "man sips" in the Terminal for more info.

HTH

i was looking for something like this, ala 'convert'

taa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.