PDA

View Full Version : Gay thread revisited

Danger! Will
May 13, 2003, 08:21 PM
Ok, I've seen this thread was done before.
But I'm a retro kind of dude anyway.
Who here is gay or friends with g/l/b/t and what kinda of mac do you have?
What's the gayest mac of all time?

BTW I'm only half gay and that's only on days ending in the letter Y. And I don't have a mac. Well at least not yet anyway.

scem0
May 13, 2003, 08:26 PM
There has already been a lot of talk about homosexuality on MR (mainly on the gay thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=19829&highlight=gay)) and I am always suprised at the number of gay people on this board.

What is the world's gay:straight ratio?

I was wondering that the other day.

Danger! Will
May 13, 2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks for saying homo and not fag which I hate hearing.

scem0
May 13, 2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Danger! Will

That is a pet peeve of many people (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=26436&highlight=pet+peeve) - including me.

applemacdude
May 13, 2003, 08:48 PM

Some people are so ignorant....:mad:

King Cobra
May 13, 2003, 08:59 PM
Just so you know, DWillie et. al, most threads involving a discussion or multiple discussions about homosexuality end up in either flamebits or wasted threads.

I'm not offended by such sexual references, as previously cited, but others are. And when the contrast of what is offensive to some individuals encounters someone, who is not offensive, there is the tendency for such flamewars to erupt.

In plain English, let's be considerate of everyone on the boards, whether homosexuals or not.

In regard to the "gayest mac", I would rephrase that. I think the Mac with the worst design would be the flower power iMac. It's basically an iMac G3 with a greenhouse scenery attached on each side.

scem0
May 13, 2003, 09:05 PM
it [FP iMac] appealed to my mom!

But she is a hippie - sort of. :rolleyes: ;)

King Cobra
May 13, 2003, 09:17 PM
If a Blue Dalmation ever becomes for public sale, I bet that person will end up shooting himself. :)

Actually, the Blue Dalmation was just too easily spotted.

MrMacMan
May 13, 2003, 09:35 PM
Hey a fag is a cigarette!

What are you talking about? :rolleyes:

Danger! Will
May 13, 2003, 09:36 PM
Well, in that case
EWWW!
lol

vniow
May 13, 2003, 11:50 PM
I'm gay.

Yay!

rainman::|:|
May 14, 2003, 12:18 AM
that's me. well, to bend the old saying, i'm not gay but my partner is...

btw the world's ration is estimaged 1:10, but that number is likely wrong due to the extremely biased surveys from the '30-s through '70s... i've heard numbers anywhere from about 6 to 16 percent. a lot would disagree, but everyone: you know a *hell* of a lot more gay people than you think :)

there's a fair number out here... tho we're not quite up to quota i think :) i have to guess that a lot of people don't want to make an issue of it.

On a side note, just got back from a Dixie Chicks concert, during one of the songs they had a video montage (sp?) showing the million man march, woman's march for equality, and they had a couple of clips of gay guys protesting with signs "gay rights" and "marriage now"... it was pretty cool of them to stick that in :)

unfortunately, they put it next to clips of an abortion march, and i really try hard to keep the issues separate. People tend to lump them as the two hot moral issues; i don't think morality comes into play in this one...

:)
pnw

rainman::|:|
May 14, 2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Hey a fag is a cigarette!

What are you talking about? :rolleyes:

wow, i've had a lot of fags in my mouth.

:D

okay okay, sorry... *innocent look*

vniow
May 14, 2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
wow, i've had a lot of fags in my mouth.

:D

okay okay, sorry... *innocent look*

I just pissed my pants, thank you!

wdlove
May 14, 2003, 11:12 AM

I agree on that, all this politically correct is annoying. To me and the dictionary gay means happy. Fag is very disrespectful, I'm sorry that people you know use that kind of language toward others!

mactastic
May 14, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by scem0

What is the world's gay:straight ratio?

I was wondering that the other day.
I have also hear that it is about 10% of the general population. I think the problem is how you define gay. Some studies consider gay fantasies as gay, some will count you as gay if you've ever had a gay sexual experience, and some only count those who are actively gay. (Actively gay doesn't sound right, but you get the point.) We'll probably never really know until people aren't afraid to come out anymore. Lets hope that day comes soon.

King Cobra
May 14, 2003, 04:27 PM
wow, i've had a lot of ******* in my mouth.

You are a sad, sad individual.

I feel that not all people claiming to be homosexuals are really that way, and not all people claiming to be straight are really that way, either. This may explain the various percentages.

Then that brings up the question: How does an individual determine in which direction to go when caught in the middle of a situation?

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I agree on that, all this politically correct is annoying. To me and the dictionary gay means happy. Fag is very disrespectful, I'm sorry that people you know use that kind of language toward others! I see your point. Maybe we should have a pole for Homosexual people to see what they'd like to be called. If anything other than just a person.

MrMacMan
May 14, 2003, 05:04 PM
Does anyone really need 2, 2 Gay threads?

I mean one, IS enough.

I get it, your gay, wonderfull, but do we need 2?

lmalave
May 14, 2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
I have also hear that it is about 10% of the general population. I think the problem is how you define gay. Some studies consider gay fantasies as gay, some will count you as gay if you've ever had a gay sexual experience, and some only count those who are actively gay. (Actively gay doesn't sound right, but you get the point.) We'll probably never really know until people aren't afraid to come out anymore. Lets hope that day comes soon.

I think the scientific consensus, if there is one, is that 10% are bi but only 2% are purely homosexual. But again, these studies may have been studying actual behavior rather than tendencies. There could be a lot of bisexual and gay people that just stay closeted.

Like my college roommate who had girlfriends in high school and didn't even realize he was gay until his sophomore year in college. He was like "I was attracted to guys with hairy chests and just figured that all guys were." So denial is a powerful thing (my friend was a devout Catholic). Makes you wonder how many people out there are just going through the motions of their relationships or even marriages.

Then on the flip side you have people who have had bi experiences but aren't really that bi so may not answer that they're bi on the surveys. Like it seems every girl I go out with now has had at least one bi experience. And yet as far as I could tell they were attracted only to guys.

Which is pretty much the way I would define homosexuality or bisexuality. The relevant question is: have you ever looked at a member of the same sex and been like: "yeah, baby!" Which is why I'm certain I'm not gay or bi - I'm able to admire another man's physique but I've never been attracted to one. Whereas I'm powerfully attracted to women.

hvfsl
May 14, 2003, 05:25 PM
I dont get why gay people want to get married since it is a hetrosexual institution, why not create a gay equiverlent?

lmalave
May 14, 2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
I feel that not all people claiming to be homosexuals are really that way, and not all people claiming to be straight are really that way, either. This may explain the various percentages.

Then that brings up the question: How does an individual determine in which direction to go when caught in the middle of a situation?

Uh, dude you should just know. It's not really about deciding "which direction to go". If you're attracted to the opposite sex only then you're straight. If you're attracted to the same sex only then you're gay. If you're attracted to both sexes to some degree then you're bi.

lmalave
May 14, 2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by hvfsl
I dont get why gay people want to get married since it is a hetrosexual institution, why not create a gay equiverlent?

Well, you're confusing two separate issues. I believe gay marriages should indeed be allowed. But gay people that are marrying members of the opposite sex are not staying closeted simply because there is no gay marriage option. Rather, it's usually because of pressures of society's expectations that they decide to put up a front, and either deny their sexuality completely or live a double life.

scem0
May 14, 2003, 06:20 PM
that's me. well, to bend the old saying, i'm not gay but my partner is...

btw the world's ration is estimaged 1:10, but that number is likely wrong due to the extremely biased surveys from the '30-s through '70s... i've heard numbers anywhere from about 6 to 16 percent. a lot would disagree, but everyone: you know a *hell* of a lot more gay people than you think :)

there's a fair number out here... tho we're not quite up to quota i think :) i have to guess that a lot of people don't want to make an issue of it.

On a side note, just got back from a Dixie Chicks concert, during one of the songs they had a video montage (sp?) showing the million man march, woman's march for equality, and they had a couple of clips of gay guys protesting with signs "gay rights" and "marriage now"... it was pretty cool of them to stick that in :)

unfortunately, they put it next to clips of an abortion march, and i really try hard to keep the issues separate. People tend to lump them as the two hot moral issues; i don't think morality comes into play in this one...

pnw

We need more people like the dixie chicks who aren't afraid to share their opinion, and less people who chastise them for it. Although I can't stand their music they are really cool in that way.

MacFan25
May 14, 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by scem0
That is a pet peeve of many people (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=26436&highlight=pet+peeve) - including me.
Yeah, a lot of people at my school say "oh, thats so gay". and it kind of gets on my nerves, but i usually just ignore it.

btw, im a straight male, and i have an 800mhz G4 iMac. :)

King Cobra
May 14, 2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by lmalave
Uh, dude you should just know. It's not really about deciding "which direction to go".

I bring this up because there have been past debates about whether or not genetics comes into play.

As for the marriage issue, marry whomever you want. Why should you be prevented from spending you life with an individual?

Danger! Will
May 14, 2003, 06:49 PM
I started this thread because I just wanted to see who was gay so i could pm them and get to know a few people who like MAC's (Macintosh, Apple Computer) since I don't have one and I might need help when I get one.
Not to tackle tough issues like marriage.

And I'd be carefull about having all those fags in your mouth. The surgeon general says fags can be hazardous to you health. Maybe even lead to cancer. lol

gtzdudex AOLIM

vniow
May 14, 2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
You are a sad, sad individual.

What are we not allowed to make jokes now?

Never mind, I'm in the mood for a Klondyke bar...

Danger! Will
May 14, 2003, 08:11 PM
I'll never eat another klondyke bar that same way...

King Cobra
May 14, 2003, 08:14 PM
Klondykes! My parents eat those up fast.

Also, sometimes a classmate refers to something as "gay", when it is simply unattractive to that individual. I'll admit, I've even gone too far in class using references, but unlike one of my classmates I don't continue to offend an individual once told to not make certain references.

Danger! Will
May 14, 2003, 08:16 PM
I think it's aight...I'm bi and when i don't like something i say "dude, that is so str8" then they get the point

MrMacMan
May 14, 2003, 08:37 PM
Why do we need 2 'gay threads' again?

I fail to re-call a reason...

Danger! Will
May 14, 2003, 08:39 PM
Yup, cuz it's "gay"

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 08:46 PM
As for saying gay or something else. Around my strait friends we say gay and around our gay friends we don't say anything.

The gym that I go to has a few gay men. Would never say anything at the gym because they're all ripped and could kick my ass in a second. However, they're all pretty cool.

Now for the word Fag. I only use that to purposely get under someones skin. But I don't use that on my gay friends as they laugh.

San Fran has a club called THE END UP. Friday night is Fag Friday. I don't think any gay men have a problem with that name, but I've never asked. I went there one time with a few girlfriends as they think that gay people listen to the best techno. Well, they got shoved around quite a bit and were rather scared. I found i funny.