PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Analysis: Apple's Revolution for the Few

MacBytes
Jan 11, 2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link:
iPhone Analysis: Apple's Revolution for the Few (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070111180413)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Benjamindaines
Jan 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the exactly what was said about the iPod in 2001?

eazyway
Jan 11, 2007, 07:17 PM
$600 for a new device is only expensive if you cannot afford. There are a lot of people that will plunk down that amount of cash without so much as a blink of the eye.

Then there are those who cannot really afford but buy it anyway because it is such a cool device.

I live in Canada and I will likely buy one on a visit to the US and don't care if I can use the phone right away. As long as I can use the iPod and the Web and use it as my contacts . I'll be happy with it.

I can already see the 3rd party developes drooling over the add ons for this product. There are so many possibilities.

chuckles:)
Jan 11, 2007, 07:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the exactly what was said about the iPod in 2001?

no, they said the iPod was for almost nobody.

Benjamindaines
Jan 11, 2007, 07:46 PM

Eh close enough.

rjwill246
Jan 11, 2007, 09:16 PM

The original comment and your response are right on: it is simply astounding that these so-called xspurts are incapable of understanding that NOTHING that exists today, will be the future-- it's going to evolve!!! How that is difficult to comprehend is beyond me. But you have just witnessed the various "complaints" about the iPhone as if, what exists today with the phone itself, and with phone provider contracts is all that will ever be... hard to believe that a supposedly knowledgeable person would write drivel like this, let alone have some other ding-bat agree to print it.

Clearly, Apple will do what it always does: there will be new iterations of the iPhone that up the ante considerably; prices will hardly rise ---or will fall, the phone will be made to run on many, if not all, networks and eventually there will be the $79 equivalent of the iPod, and it too will still be an interesting device, though it probably won't cost 79 bucks ;-)

Why some analysts are so literal and so visionless and incapable of seeing evolutionary change might explain why THEY are destined to comment on the here and now, while OTHERS ( Steve and Jonathan, eg) thankfully plan the future-- and, moreover, impliment it with dash and flair, or is that flare???

Sheesh!!!

tk421
Jan 11, 2007, 10:07 PM

Very good point, but even that is irrelevant. Even if the iPhone only captures the 1% that Jobs mentioned, it's still a revolution.

The Mac was not adopted by everyone. We all know it still has a significantly smaller marketshare than Windows. But the technology in the Mac was revolutionary, and it changed computers forever. The iPhone technology and design will be influential on ALL phones even if only a small percentage of people can get it.

To state again, the iPhone is a revolution for everyone.

stevento
Jan 12, 2007, 12:48 AM

yeah but then the ipod was significantly better than other mp3 players.
there is nothing revolutionary about the iPhone. its just a media phone with a palm pilot...and its huge
where's the revolution?

SPUY767
Jan 12, 2007, 06:27 AM
This guy writes a know nothing article without an ounce of his own thought. Ahh, writing by committee, 'tis the wave of the future. He claims to be 100 percent certain that this phone does not run OS X. How does he know this? OS X is too big for a phone? Sure, the desktop version is, but who's to say that you can't pare it down? A *nix kernel will run fine on a handheld device; look at the iPod, a far weaker processor chugging along quickly enough to play Doom II! Albeit at a rather paltry framerate. Bottom line is, people continue to write articles as if they've had an iPhone in hand for weeks, there is no dignity in internet journalism, people no longer care what they spew out onto that digital canvas because apparently, with the exception of the anonymous internet reader, no one will hold them accountable.

solvs
Jan 13, 2007, 03:52 AM
and its huge

Guessing you haven't seen it in person. It's not huge. It's actually pretty small. Pictures do not do it justice.

R.R.Mac
Jan 13, 2007, 05:05 AM
i am going to get it but i am going to wait for a like second model so that it gets improved!