PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 Canadians List Religion as -- JEDI!

MrMacMan
May 13, 2003, 08:33 PM
woot, the time has come and become one yourself!

I got a couple links...
story (http://www.canada.com/national/features/census/story.html?id=A4623A62-5195-4B57-B40B-087D8F38CF6F)
Snopes Article, comeon list your religion as a Jedi and make it offical! (http://www.snopes.com/religion/jedi.htm)
Statics IGNORED the Jedi! Look at the other! They let people worship Satin, but not Yoda? What gives? (http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/standard/themes/RetrieveProductTable.cfm?Temporal=2001&PID=55821&APATH=3&GID=431515&METH=1&PTYPE=55440&THEME=56&FOCUS=0&AID=0&PLACENAME=0&PROVINCE=0&SEARCH=0&GC=0&GK=0&VID=0&FL=0&RL=0&FREE=0)
PDF file link, for the whole report (http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/analytic/companion/rel/contents.cfm)

and /. (http://slashdot.org/articles/03/05/13/1339217.shtml?tid=188&tid=101&tid=158&tid=97&tid=99)

Comeone people, List Jedi as your religion!

Laslo Panaflex
May 13, 2003, 08:38 PM
I read this too on /. what nerds. . . JK:D

MrMacMan
May 13, 2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
I read this too on /. what nerds. . . JK:D

you live in canada, thats over 19k more people that the worshipers of satin have in your country! :rolleyes:

Flowbee
May 13, 2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
you live in canada, thats over 19k more people that the worshipers of satin have in your country! :rolleyes:

I worship silk, myself. :p

Stelliform
May 13, 2003, 09:59 PM
Darnit. I wish I had heard of that before I filled out my census form. :D That is too funny! I personally don't think it is any business of the government to collect what religion I am. And Jedi sounds like a great alternative to the truth. :D

melchior
May 13, 2003, 10:38 PM
this is a becoming a world wide phenomenon. people did it in australia and the cenus freaks said "we are ignoring any jedi references"

scem0
May 13, 2003, 11:08 PM
truly sad..... truly sad...... :o

;)

shakespeare
May 14, 2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
I worship silk, myself. :p

hahahahahahahaha. That is lovely.

rainman::|:|
May 14, 2003, 12:26 AM
hell, people listed it in america and got ignored.

some mental health institution i was just reading about listed "klingon" as one of an extensive list of languages incoming patients could speak, thereby creating a need for a klingon translator. They now claim it was an oversight and no taxpayer money went to it :)

pnw

melchior
May 14, 2003, 01:31 AM
are there no klingon translators available these days? is it a hard language to learn? i reckon i could do it. always looking for niche

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 01:33 AM
A Jedi that only speaks Klingon.

MrMacMan
May 14, 2003, 11:44 AM
IMO your all idiots if you think Jedi's speak Klingon.

Jedi's -- STARWARS

Klingon -- Star TREK

gahhhh

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 12:18 PM

Jedi's -- STARWARS

Klingon -- Star TREK

gahhhh If you think I thought that, then help you. It was for registering that you're religion is Jedi and your native tongue is Klingon. Maybe it's not so funny, but I thought it was. Especailly for the fact that it's from two SciFi shows/movies.

boskie
May 14, 2003, 03:51 PM
this actually happened in the UK census about 2 years ago:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/22113.html

the only problem is that the darkside with evil Lord Blair is already in power!:D

Flowbee
May 14, 2003, 04:05 PM

Everyone knows that Jedi's speek Elvish... And Elvis spoke Klingon. :p

hvfsl
May 14, 2003, 04:11 PM
Jedi is now the fourth largest religon in the UK and is an offical religon in New Zeland. I think people just put Jedi down if they are not part of any religon, my Dad did that anyway.

MrMacMan
May 14, 2003, 04:42 PM
Hm... its possible, but really when there is such a strong fan base one would think to make a web-site, list its holy scriptures, namely the movies and have some sort of prayers, beliefs etc.

elfin buddy
May 14, 2003, 07:28 PM
Wow, I really figured that all the Canadians that frequent these forums would really jump on this topic :)

Come on guys! Let's hear some Canadian opinions! I'll start!

Personally, I think this is damn funny! I can't believe Jedi is actually becoming a real religion! I wonder if anyone has figured out how to use the force yet....Imagine beavers knocking down trees and building dams with the force as their ally....:rolleyes:

aethier
May 14, 2003, 08:01 PM
hello, this is for the guy from newfoundland, i dont think its that funny, i think that the american hospital that needs the klingon translator is funny...

athier

MrMacMan
May 14, 2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by aethier
hello, this is for the guy from newfoundland, i dont think its that funny, i think that the american hospital that needs the klingon translator is funny...

athier

and I think that when you have nothing nice to say, guess what? You don't say it.

No funnie = no deserve post.

I thought it was funnie, if you don't oh well.

JEdiBeavis
May 14, 2003, 08:56 PM
I really don't have anything substantive to add. It just seemed appropriate for me to be a part of this thread.

Gotta go. Time for me to put my costume back on and get in line for Episode III.

billyboy
May 15, 2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by melchior
this is a becoming a world wide phenomenon. people did it in australia and the cenus freaks said "we are ignoring any jedi references"

Everyone in our house turned jedi around census time in Britain two years ago. The authrities said theyd prosecute for giving false info. They said it, we did it, they did nothing. Nosy gits, what has a personal religion got to do with anyone else?

Flowbee
May 15, 2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by billyboy
Everyone in our house turned jedi around census time in Britain two years ago. The authrities said theyd prosecute for giving false info. They said it, we did it, they did nothing. Nosy gits, what has a personal religion got to do with anyone else?

How would they ever prove that you're *not* Jedi?