PDA

View Full Version : DIP switches and Sawtooths (Sawteeth)

Bobdude161
Jan 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
My specs are on the bottom, except for the 1.5 Ghz part. Just installed a '55B upgrade that is capable of going up to 1.5 Ghz. Right now I'm clocked at 1.15 Ghz. In the instructions, overclocking requires a DIP switch, which the upgrade did not come with. So after some Googling (http://lowendmac.com/macdan/05/1130.html) I found that it's harder than I thought to insert a DIP switch in the designated pins. So my question is, has anyone tried putting a DIP switch in their Sawtooth? And it is pretty straight forward?

disconap
Jan 11, 2007, 08:04 PM
My specs are on the bottom, except for the 1.5 Ghz part. Just installed a '55B upgrade that is capable of going up to 1.5 Ghz. Right now I'm clocked at 1.15 Ghz. In the instructions, overclocking requires a DIP switch, which the upgrade did not come with. So after some Googling (http://lowendmac.com/macdan/05/1130.html) I found that it's harder than I thought to insert a DIP switch in the designated pins. So my question is, has anyone tried putting a DIP switch in their Sawtooth? And it is pretty straight forward?

Are you talking about overclocking the bus? Don't do it (my advice, others may argue). From all reports, you can only overclock to 120mHz (which drops all the PCI slots to 22 or so), and there are often stability issues from machine to machine.

And just because your processor is CAPABLE of 1.5 doesn't mean you should run it at that speed; there are often cooling issues, bus conflicts, and general instability when overclocking. If it's not your main machine, go for it, but if you rely on that Sawtooth, you should just be happy with the 1.15 (which is a very good speed, I ran mine at that for over a year and noticed very little speed increase with the dual 1.3)...

Bobdude161
Jan 11, 2007, 10:10 PM
AH-HA it always takes some extra light to find new things!! There's a DIP switch on the processor card itself! But yes I am aware of the temperature situation. Thats why I installed a few extra output/input fans. But I'll be slowly bringing up the speed to find that ideal temp. BTW what is a good temp for a G4? Right now, like it says in the OP, I have a temp of 113 F. What do you think the limit should be?

disconap
Jan 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
If it's on board, feel free to experiment. Generally upgrades have sufficient cooling for the stable speeds. Just be careful on the higher end; most likely it just won't be stable, but there is always a risk of burning out the processor when running above the rated speed.