Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
OMG!! Anyone watching? lol. But I think with his sense of opposite-ness I think that's a good thing.

What does "the wag of the finger" mean? Did he just point the bone at Apple? It sounds like the same sort of thing only pointing the bone at someone is a very bad thing to do.

Why did he do it?

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'm so sick of Colbert.

Not everybody likes him as much as he likes him.

And by that I mean if everyone in the world combined how much they liked him it wouldn't be as much.

Reactions: thestugots

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Yeah, Colbert usually is poking fun at the hard-core right wingers.

I'm suprised you couldn't smell the sarcasim from 5 channels away!

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
What does "the wag of the finger" mean? Did he just point the bone at Apple? It sounds like the same sort of thing only pointing the bone at someone is a very bad thing to do.

Why did he do it?

If you are a Seinfeld fan, think of the guy who wags his finger and says 'you are a very bad man!'

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Ahh, they have so many raplys of his show on CC. I don't even pay attention to his show, but I leave it on cause there's nothin' else. Sometimes he's funny. Maybe he was wagging his finger about the iPhone, maybe?...

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Talking about the Jan 11th episode? It airs in 35 minutes here, so I guess I'll see.

I watch it regularly, if I can. Both of those shows are well worth watching and a better source of news than anybody else (on US tv).

mlw1235

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2004
Milwaukee, WI

Why did he do it?

<sarcasm>
I think it amounted to the fact that it is a 3-in-1 device, and he was NOT satisfied with that. At least until, according to him, he gets one for free. <
</sarcasm>

I'll check on youtube for it.

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri
<sarcasm>
I think it amounted to the fact that it is a 3-in-1 device, and he was NOT satisfied with that. At least until, according to him, he gets one for free. <
</sarcasm>

I'll check on youtube for it.

I think that was about it.

As an off topic note, his "guess what number I'm thinking" bit last night was absolute genius following his introduction. That was very smart comedy.

I think that with the Daily Show and Colbert Report, one either gets/likes that type of humor and then loves the show because they do it very well, or one doesn't get/like that type of humor and then the show is banal and not entertaining.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
I don't waste my time with any of those political "pundits" and their opinions, I prefer to form my own.

At the end of the day, if you play back all their comments in your head it's all drivel and gibberish.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't waste my time with any of those political "pundits" and their opinions, I prefer to form my own.

Pundit

pundit |?p?ndit| noun 1 an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called on to give opinions about it to the public : a globe-trotting financial pundit.

Satire

satire |?sa?t?r| noun the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. See note at wit . • a play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire : a stinging satire on American politics. • a genre of literature characterized by the use of satire. • (in Latin literature) a literary miscellany, esp. a poem ridiculing prevalent vices or follies.

Comprehension

comprehension |?kämpri?hen ch ?n| noun 1 the action or capability of understanding something : I lack the reading comprehension to understand what people in this thread have been saying | the comprehension of spoken language.

A number of people in this thread need to work on those 3 definitions.

Daily Show is good, but from what I've seen of Colbert......meh. *shrugs shoulders*

I find they both have their strengths and weaknesses, Stewart tends to be better at big events and news, Colbert tends to be better at the empty times in-between. The two of them could combine to make a killer 1/2 hour, the full hour is a bit drawn out (and yes, I know Colbert is a spin-off, I would love to see them do a Crossfire style show).

I haven't watched for a while, due to time reasons, just tuned into this week's shows, and have to admit I've been disappointed with both of them. Hopefully its just holiday doldrums.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I personally think the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are two of the worst shows on Comedy Central.

I personally think they are 2 of the best shows on tv. :)

Pundit

pundit |?p?ndit| noun 1 an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called on to give opinions about it to the public : a globe-trotting financial pundit.

Satire

satire |?sa?t?r| noun the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. See note at wit . • a play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire : a stinging satire on American politics. • a genre of literature characterized by the use of satire. • (in Latin literature) a literary miscellany, esp. a poem ridiculing prevalent vices or follies.

Comprehension

comprehension |?kämpri?hen ch ?n| noun 1 the action or capability of understanding something : I lack the reading comprehension to understand what people in this thread have been saying | the comprehension of spoken language.

A number of people in this thread need to work on those 3 definitions.

Well said.

For anyone/everyone that actually watches his show (Colbert)- how great is it when a guest on his show actually gets the point of his show?! Some of the best I've scene (that I can remember their names, I'm no politician) are Will Wright (I know, not politics, but a great episode) and former president Ford (I think... I am pretty sure it was him). They fire right at Colbert before he even gets a chance and it ends up being hilarious. Predidential hopeful Vislack was also a fantastic guest.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I personally think the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are two of the worst shows on Comedy Central.

I wouldnt say worst...

Their jokes are definitely lame and easy to see them coming. What annoys me about the show is their act. For example the Daily Show, the guy sometimes acts as if he is clueless and somehow it is funny, but rubs off on me as if he is just stupid....

Roderick Usher

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2006
Finally saw this, it was hilarious.

Stephen Colbert said:
Meanwhile, at the Macworld conference in San Francisco, Apple Computer changed their company name to Apple, Inc., earning them a wag of my finger! Sorry, Apple, but just dropping the word "computer" from your name doesn't make you cool. A nerd who gets contacts and a trendy haircut is still a nerd - or had you forgotten that your co-founder Steve Wozniak owns laser pointers in every color, and plays in a Segway polo league? (Friend of the show.)

Laughed long and hard at that. I'd recently rewatched Woz's interview on the Colbert Report. Stephen was breaking character all over the place and acting like a little kid - he was clearly starstruck. Woz said in a later interview with Guy Kawasaki that people had written him saying they'd never seen Stephen act that way before. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.