PDA

View Full Version : "2007 is going to be a great year for the mac"

DsurioN
Jan 11, 2007, 11:05 PM
As Steve Jobs said just before he started talking about the itv, ipod, and iphone:

"So, 2007 is going to be a great year for the Mac but this is all we're going to talk about the mac today. We're going to move on to some other things and over the next few months we're going to roll out some awesome stuff for the mac, but for today, we're going to move on."

So, when do you suppose this "awesome stuff" is going to appear? (i.e. iLife '07 / iWork '07, Leopard, new macs, whatever)

most years new versions of ilife have been demoed at macworld.. but since this year it was reserved exclusively for apples existing / new consumer devices, are they going to have another special event to release this software and demo some new leopard features? What do you think...

Chundles
Jan 11, 2007, 11:12 PM
As Steve Jobs said just before he started talking about the itv, ipod, and iphone:

"So, 2007 is going to be a great year for the Mac but this is all we're going to talk about the mac today. We're going to move on to some other things and over the next few months we're going to roll out some awesome stuff for the mac, but for today, we're going to move on."

So, when do you suppose this "awesome stuff" is going to appear? (i.e. iLife '07 / iWork '07, Leopard, new macs, whatever)

most years new versions of ilife have been demoed at macworld.. but since this year it was reserved exclusively for apples existing / new consumer devices, are they going to have another special event to release this software and demo some new leopard features? What do you think...

There are 353 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds left in 2007 - lots of time for Apple to do stuff with the Mac.

reubs
Jan 11, 2007, 11:29 PM
I was thinking today...what if Leopard incorporates something like EyeTV or Media Center to tie in to AppleTV? I mean, wouldn't that be an ultimate "top-secret" feature? I know it's probably a pipe dream, but it seems like the pieces are in place...unless they just don't want to undercut the revenue of iTunes. Dammit. There went that idea.

iW00t
Jan 11, 2007, 11:38 PM
I was thinking today...what if Leopard incorporates something like EyeTV or Media Center to tie in to AppleTV? I mean, wouldn't that be an ultimate "top-secret" feature? I know it's probably a pipe dream, but it seems like the pieces are in place...unless they just don't want to undercut the revenue of iTunes. Dammit. There went that idea.

Good idea.

Good bye Elgato :D

mrkramer
Jan 15, 2007, 04:34 PM

But if they did make it part of Leopard then would it really undercut iTunes much, because Macs are still a fairly small percentage of the people using iTunes. Also if that feature wasn't available on Windows they may make back some of the money lost from iTunes from people buying Macs to get this feature.

Peace
Jan 15, 2007, 05:32 PM

It's called Front Row 2.0

djkny
Jan 15, 2007, 05:37 PM
There are 353 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds left in 2007 - lots of time for Apple to do stuff with the Mac.

Apple's hype and our folly.

phillipjfry
Jan 16, 2007, 02:23 PM
I bet that leopard won't even be considered "release-able" until Month of Kernel Bugs: OSX Special is done and over with. Apple can incorporate the fixes into Leopard and release a nice OSX without people having to download security updates a week or two into the release. Makes it look good on their side. Expect Leopard released in February. :)

FleurDuMal
Jan 16, 2007, 02:29 PM
I think they'll make the first machine capable of love.

Embed
Jan 16, 2007, 04:19 PM
2007, here's what im hoping for...

leopard, iLife, iWorks, new macbook pro, mighty 50" displays, 1 and 2G iphone's hopefully (doubtful but can always hope(2G may come at macworld 08))

a logic pro update (PLEEEEEASE)

oh ye, and a few quad core intels would be priiiity tasty :D

Phobophobia
Jan 16, 2007, 05:00 PM
Mel Gibson...? ;) :cool:

Rivix
Jan 16, 2007, 06:29 PM
I just hope we see things sooner rather than latter. However, its not like Steve Jobs would say "2007 will be a terrible year for the Mac." Every year is a good year according to that guy; but he's usually right.

MacVault
Jan 17, 2007, 06:09 AM
I just hope we see things sooner rather than latter. However, its not like Steve Jobs would say "2007 will be a terrible year for the Mac." Every year is a good year according to that guy; but he's usually right.

Yea, like he'd say it would be a bad year for Mac ;) I love it when those guys release a new Mac and say something like, "This is the best Mac we've ever made." Haha! As if they could have made a "worse" Mac than the ones before ;)

abrooks
Jan 20, 2007, 06:31 PM
2007, here's what im hoping for...

1 and 2G iphone's hopefully (doubtful but can always hope(2G may come at macworld 08))

I get the impression Apple has multiple revisions or versions waiting in the wings.

valdore
Jan 20, 2007, 06:38 PM
I want a new Imac form factor!

devman
Jan 20, 2007, 07:46 PM

Nah that is Edgar (obscure movie ref...)

psychofreak
Jan 20, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yea, like he'd say it would be a bad year for Mac ;) I love it when those guys release a new Mac and say something like, "This is the best Mac we've ever made." Haha! As if they could have made a "worse" Mac than the ones before ;)

The 20th Anniversary mac was a bit rubbish...

EricNau
Jan 20, 2007, 08:06 PM
This has been my only major complaint with Apple - that they don't have a true media center option (like Windows has had for many years). ...This is truly the only way in which Windows is superior to OS X.

I guess Apple expects me to cancel my cable subscription and buy all of my shows from iTunes, but that just isn't practical.

If Leopard doesn't include the ability to record/schedual/organize TV shows then I will be extremely disappointed, but I'm sorry to say, that I'm expecting that disappointment. :(

zap2
Jan 20, 2007, 08:43 PM
I hope it is...but Apple going from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Inc doesn't make me think it will be.

iWork+iLife 07
New iMac Design
Mac Mini CD2
Mac Tablet
12'' Laptop
8 Core Mac Pro

dejo
Jan 20, 2007, 08:56 PM

I'm gonna venture a guess and say "over the next few months". ;)

EricNau
Jan 20, 2007, 09:55 PM
... Expect Leopard released in February. :)
But February isn't even spring yet (spring starts in late March) .

Personally, I'm expecting Leopard in April or May.

macfan881
Jan 20, 2007, 11:20 PM
hmm lets see heres my predictions for apples products in 07 that we will see

touch screen ipod all the features of the ipod part on the iphone and pray to be able to edit callender info etc

Tablet mac and or super slick mac book its about time apple came out with a new design cpu weither be desktop or laptop

either New Cinema displays in febuary with a 50 " for :apple:tv or a new update to Isight or both

maybe a mid Range Tower somthing that can get the pc users that say the mac isnt expandable but still afordable to switch over

LGF and Fox on to itunes and all Six Starwars movies on itunes part of the Starwars anniversery

I life 07 and I work 07

10.5 i think there are Several key Features that will shock the operating system world maybe have the abilty to run windows and mac programs ala Parales but ull still have to supply your own os i think this is why we havent heard what will happen with bootcamp yet once leapord Comes out and apple said were "holding features close to us that we dont wanna reveal yet

sam10685
Jan 21, 2007, 12:54 AM
I want a new Imac form factor!

that's what i was thinkin!

Edit; ...and House M.D. on iTunes.

phillipjfry
Jan 21, 2007, 01:33 AM

If a 24'' iMac doesn't make the Apple computers capable of love, I don't know what will :)

I, for one, am afraid of upgraded iMacs, cause I'm gonna buy one in three days. I don't want to look at mine in two months and be like "I shoulda waited :("

But February isn't even spring yet (spring starts in late March) .

Personally, I'm expecting Leopard in April or May.

If they come out with Leopard early, and rock solid (let me dream :) ), they can release it early and say "we estimated spring, but we're so good, we were able to release it early. Choke on that M$!"

MacsAttack
Jan 21, 2007, 05:30 AM

Well after announcing the switch to Intel, Steve did say that Apple still had awesome PPC products still to be introduced.

All we got was the current form-factor iMac (which was itself soone replaced with the first Intel machines).:rolleyes:

So there is a history of some flexability when the terms "awesome" and "products" are being used. We wil see a rolling upgrade across the range with n-spec wireless networking and a few speed bumps when Intel get faster CPUs into the market. Hopefuly a complete redesign of the MacBook Pro along the way. Unlike all the other designes, it is in desperate need of a major overhaul.

A quick look at Intel product schedules should give a good guide (though Apple does not always embrace new stuff the moment it is released). Figure May/June for laptop and iMac refresh. August for Mac Pro refresh. Mac Mini could receive a minor update soon...

Leopard April/May

iLife 07/iWorks 07 Feb

Perhaps new displays. A decent upgrade and price reduction is long overdue. Then again Apple may not want to compete in that market and just be content to charge premium prices for old product.

MacsAttack
Jan 21, 2007, 05:47 AM
Expect Leopard released in February. :)

OK - lets look at this from a software development poit of view... There are several major phases through which Leopard has to pass before it goes on sale...

Developer Beta Testing - This is where we are now.

Feature Lock - Apple decides exactly what features they are going to include in the final version. Some of the stuff we have seen may not make it into the shipping version (though the features shown at the Developers Conferance probably will). This is the latest point that Apple can show us those "top secret" features. We are not there yet.

Full Beta Test - This is the bit where all those developers get their hands on the final version to see if everything still works once the "secret features" have been added in. At least a month with several "builds" as issues are found and resolved. This could take a month or more, depending on what issues surface with those "top secret features" that have not been given a workout in an extended test environment.

RTM - Release to Manufacture. This is the bit where the final DVDs are pressed, the boxes and associated documentation is printed, and it is all assembled into a shrink-wrap product. Expect this process to take between three to four weeks.

Thus even the most optimistic projection - if Apple were to demo a feature-complete Leopard right now - is that they are at least 2 months away from any possible release.

Think April. Probably the end (last week - on a Tuesday) of April. :D

devman
Jan 21, 2007, 08:53 AM
Well after announcing the switch to Intel, Steve did say that Apple still had awesome PPC products still to be introduced.

All we got was the current form-factor iMac (which was itself soone replaced with the first Intel machines).:rolleyes:

Nah, there were the quad powermacs with faster G5s also.

Tommyjolly
Mar 22, 2007, 11:24 PM

Lollypop
Mar 23, 2007, 01:12 AM
I think last year was the year of hardware for the mac, this year it will be about the software, Im still hoping for a lot of cool features in Leopard (the current list is impressive.. but not earth shattering).. upgrades to iTunes, iLife and the :apple: TV...

netdog
Mar 23, 2007, 01:13 AM

That Chundles is one smart cookie. I second that.

Hummer
Apr 14, 2007, 12:46 PM
261 days 11 hours, 15 minutes, and 18 seconds. I'm growing impatient.

Mgkwho
Apr 14, 2007, 07:51 PM
People people you're forgetting this too:

"We've got some great products in the pipeline...some of the most amazing things I've ever seen" (several times, one or two at quarterly earnings conference calls, not sure if this is exact wording)

"We’ve just kicked off what is going to be a very strong new product year for Apple by launching Apple TV and the revolutionary iPhone." 17 January 2007 QECC

“Looking forward, 2007 is likely to be one of the most exciting new product years in Apple’s history.” 18 October 2007 QECC

-=|Mgkwho

eenu
Apr 14, 2007, 09:24 PM
This might be useful:

http://waffle.wootest.net/2007/01/01/mwsf2007countdown/

johnee
Apr 14, 2007, 09:36 PM

Actually, I heard through the grapevine that apple has unexpectedly found that pi ends.

I can't begin to say how this changes the universe. But to boil it all down, now that we know pi ends, it's confirmed we don't have free will.

robPOD
Apr 14, 2007, 09:50 PM
New 6g iPod ? when steve when??

Andrew D.
Apr 18, 2007, 10:40 PM
Maybe 2007 is starting out a little slow for Apple..

Wild-Bill
Apr 18, 2007, 10:48 PM
Maybe 2007 is starting out a little slow for Apple..

....just a little

wildthing1994
Apr 20, 2007, 02:37 PM
I don't understand why some are upset that 2007 is "starting off a little slow." It is still April, when January 1, 2008 comes around, and there's nothing, than get upset, and you'll be justified. So far the iTV, dual quad core MP's, iPhone (June), Leopard (October), and than most likely hardware updates in June or October for their line of computers. Already, 2007 is a great year for Apple inc. Mr. Jobs never said, 'January 2007 will be a great month' or 'first quarter 2007 will be a great quarter.'

Phobophobia
Apr 22, 2007, 03:16 PM
Well, at least we have wwdc to look forward to.

iW00t
Apr 24, 2007, 08:50 PM
Well, at least we have wwdc to look forward to.

Personally I think Macworld Paris is going to be amazing.

With new Macbooks... iPods... and possibly Leopard.

dejo
Apr 24, 2007, 09:07 PM
“Looking forward, 2007 is likely to be one of the most exciting new product years in Apple’s history.” 18 October 2007 QECC
Do you have a time machine? ;)

TonyBaloney
May 7, 2007, 03:53 PM
238 days, 8 hours, 6 mins <--- Although this will probably be incorrect by the time you read it! After the iphone Apple could have done nothing for the rest of the year and I would have been happy but it's not available for Sprint so it doesn't count...

Zwhaler
May 16, 2007, 08:16 PM
238 days, 8 hours, 6 mins <--- Although this will probably be incorrect by the time you read it! After the iphone Apple could have done nothing for the rest of the year and I would have been happy but it's not available for Sprint so it doesn't count...

Seriously, the iPhone would have been so much more exciting if it was for other providers. Im pissed about that... and so far all we have got this year are colored shuffles, a (very expensive) 8 core upgrade to the Mac Pro and a pathetic "update" to the MacBooks. It seems like in every update, Apple is doing the bare minimum. Why did they bother to make such a big deal about 2007 being a great year... its sucked so far.

kerpow
May 17, 2007, 04:37 AM
Yup, real exciting :rolleyes:

Intel releases Santa Rosa chip then days later, Apple release an update to the MacBook **without** SR. Who's running their Marketing dept. these days!!

netdog
May 17, 2007, 04:53 AM
Yup, real exciting :rolleyes:

Intel releases Santa Rosa chip then days later, Apple release an update to the MacBook **without** SR. Who's running their Marketing dept. these days!!

Hey, what about the OctoCore? Apple was first to market with that, never mind that neither OS X nor any Apple apps take advantage of this multi-headed monster.

Phobophobia
May 22, 2007, 01:41 AM
I think Apple has timed their releases this year to center around Leopard. They're going to release new hardware at WWDC, and then announce the 6th generation iPod in October near the Leopard launch.

Chef Medeski
May 22, 2007, 03:14 PM
I don't understand why some are upset that 2007 is "starting off a little slow." It is still April, when January 1, 2008 comes around, and there's nothing, than get upset, and you'll be justified. So far the iTV, dual quad core MP's, iPhone (June), Leopard (October), and than most likely hardware updates in June or October for their line of computers. Already, 2007 is a great year for Apple inc. Mr. Jobs never said, 'January 2007 will be a great month' or 'first quarter 2007 will be a great quarter.'

Umm I think were are getting pretty close to finishing the second quarter. And if I don't know it correct but going a third of a year with nothing is a lot of an AMAZING year. We are closing in on the half way point in a couple weeks. Once the majority of the year is passed we can officially say, biggest over statement of the century!

Did we dive under the 200 mark?

capoditutti
May 23, 2007, 11:37 AM
222 days, 12hrs and 36 minutes...

I need a hit! A nice shiny silver/white rechargeable Santa-rosa based hit!

"...Don't make me get up from this chair Stevie!!!.."

:D :D :D

cApO

Phobophobia
May 23, 2007, 11:42 PM
Once the majority of the year is passed we can officially say, biggest over statement of the century!

You may not have noticed this, but he actually said it would be a great year, not a great half a year.

And it's the second half of the year that counts.

dejo
May 23, 2007, 11:50 PM
We are closing in on the half way point in a couple weeks.
Huh? Oh man, I must've overslept. It is mid-June already? :confused: