PDA

View Full Version : Keynote mistakes

Doctor Q
Jan 12, 2007, 01:39 AM
I like to watch the keynote reply and try to spot little mistakes made by the speakers. None of the minor goofs are of any consequence, so it's "proofreading", not criticism. I certainly couldn't speak live like that without quite a few errors!

When I've commented on mistakes I spotted in previous keynotes, I've sometimes turned out to be wrong about some of them, so I'm curious if anybody else can confirm these, or has already commented on them in one of the threads earlier this week.

My favorite goof was the presentation of the iPhone price, which showed that it combined the features of a $199 iPod and a $299 mobile phone, making it worth at least $499. Now I'm usually pretty good with arithmetic, so I'm surprised that I get $498 when I add those two numbers, but Apple gets $499.

I also noticed that Steve checked the weather in several cities, including Hawaii. The last time I was there, it was a state. Did it get demoted, like Pluto?

I think it was a mistake to have Phil Schiller, in the audience, talk on the iPhone with Steve Jobs. After all, it plays right into a joke: His name makes it obvious that he would fill (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fill) the role of a shill (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shill).

Stan Sigman of Cingular wasn't very interesting to listen to, so maybe it was a mistake to have him on stage at all, but I noticed a real mistake: he claimed that Apple had online stores. I think they have only one of those.

Jerry Yang of Yahoo said that Steve called mail the killer app. But Steve actually said the killer app was making calls on the iPhone, right?

Somebody said "11 days" when he meant "11 days ago", but I lost track of who said it about what. I guess that's my mistake. :o

Of course, the clicker that didn't work was a flub, but presumably not Steve's falut.

What else did anybody spot?

SkyBell
Jan 12, 2007, 01:55 AM
The one time he called the AppleTV the iTV. Of course, he warned he might do that, but still.:)

tvguru
Jan 12, 2007, 02:02 AM
Stan Sigman of Cingular wasn't very interesting to listen to, so maybe it was a mistake to have him on stage at all, but I noticed a real mistake: he claimed that Apple had online stores. I think they have only one of those.

I dunno, depends on the context I guess. There is a Canadian, Australian, American, etc. store, so that makes stores, no?

EricNau
Jan 12, 2007, 02:14 AM
I also noticed that Steve checked the weather in several cities, including Hawaii. The last time I was there, it was a state. Did it get demoted, like Pluto?
Actually, I believe Hawaii is a city in Guatemala.

Doctor Q
Jan 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
I noticed one more mistake and one Steve-Quirk™.

Steve said "as 2006 rolls on" when he meant "as 2007 rolls on".

He also said that Apple TV would be shipping in "feb-you-air-ee", omitting the "R" sound. I consider that to be a mistake, but so many people pronounce February that way that it's probably accepted as an "alternative pronunciation" now. It's not as bad as "jag wire", I suppose.

TJIrwin
Jan 12, 2007, 12:03 PM
The one time he called the AppleTV the iTV. Of course, he warned he might do that, but still.:)

I caught two slips on the iTV front. One he didn't even notice himself.

IJ Reilly
Jan 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
He also said that Apple TV would be shipping in "feb-you-air-ee", omitting the "R" sound. I consider that to be a mistake, but so many people pronounce February that way that it's probably accepted as an "alternative pronunciation" now. It's not as bad as "jag wire", I suppose.

Or "re-la-tor", another obviously wrong pronunciation with a huge popular following.

The first Apple rep I spoke to on the floor also called it "iTV" -- which tells you something. Exactly what, I don't know -- but something.

EDIT: Technically, Apple does have multiple online "stores" -- one for every country in which they sell online.

someguy
Jan 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
Or "re-la-tor", another obviously wrong pronunciation with a huge popular following.
As a Realtor (that's real-tor, just like it's spelled :rolleyes: ) I hear that one all the time.

Queso
Jan 12, 2007, 12:13 PM
Stand and Eric sure made me appreciate just how good at public speaking Steve is for a CEO. I think it was Stan who made the 11 days comment too. Something about AT&T.

adrianblaine
Jan 12, 2007, 12:14 PM
There was something I caught when I watched it, but I can't remember where or what it was, and I can't bare to watch the whole thing again to find one stupid mistake... It had something to do with him mixing up calling Movies TV shows (or the other way around).

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
Of course, the clicker that didn't work was a flub, but presumably not Steve's falut.
Is that Falut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falut), India?

Sorry, just couldn't help it... :D

IJ Reilly
Jan 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
Is that Falut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falut), India?

Sorry, just couldn't help it... :D

You could, I think you just didn't try very hard. ;)

skunk
Jan 12, 2007, 12:25 PM
EDIT: Technically, Apple does have multiple online "stores" -- one for every country in which they sell online.Yeah, stick to the stats, Q. :rolleyes:

MajorTom
Jan 12, 2007, 12:48 PM
The biggest mistake i noticed was that he began the "Phone" section by saying he was going to talk about 4 things... Phone, Calendar, Photos and SMS Texting... but he forgot to talk about the calendar!!!! :eek:

:p

IJ Reilly
Jan 12, 2007, 01:04 PM
The biggest mistake i noticed was that he began the "Phone" section by saying he was going to talk about 4 things... Phone, Calendar, Photos and SMS Texting... but he forgot to talk about the calendar!!!! :eek:

:p

That's quite forgivable actually, and he probably didn't forget. One trick of public speaking is having some items you can sacrifice if time is running short. Hardly anyone notices.

Hls811
Jan 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
The only glaring mistake I noticed was that he forgot to mention he's giving me a free iPhone and lifetime service. :D

Much Ado
Jan 12, 2007, 01:20 PM
Surely the biggest mistake went something along the lines of "Hello and welcome to Macworld..."? :rolleyes:

clintob
Jan 12, 2007, 01:35 PM
I would like to officially congratulate this post on being named the first nominee for "Crappiest MacRumors Post Concept of 2007".

You are the current leader in the clubhouse... and if you're all lucky, you might just walk away with the MR Brown Ribbon, signifying how little we all give a ****. ;)

http://www.clintbalcom.com/uploads/brown_ribbon.gif

blueflame
Jan 12, 2007, 01:47 PM
Whats the deal with this dude?

I would like to officially congratulate this post on being named the first nominee for "Crappiest MacRumors Post Concept of 2007".

You are the current leader in the clubhouse... and if you're all lucky, you might just walk away with the MR Brown Ribbon, signifying how little we all give a ****. ;)

clintob
Jan 12, 2007, 01:49 PM
Whats the deal with this dude?

Hah... I'm just playin with you guys. But you must admit, chatting about the typos and mispeaks of the Keynote Address is about as trivial as it gets, no?

dllavaneras
Jan 12, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hah... I'm just playin with you guys. But you must admit, chatting about the typos and mispeaks of the Keynote Address is about as trivial as it gets, no?

:rolleyes: you might want to take a better look at the forums...
I still think that Steve is a great public speaker. I don't think I'll ever be that good at public speaking

Hls811
Jan 12, 2007, 02:10 PM
Surely the biggest mistake went something along the lines of "Hello and welcome to Macworld..."? :rolleyes:

What woulda really been great, is "Hello, and welcome to the big black cloud hanging over CES"

After G
Jan 12, 2007, 02:10 PM
Surely the biggest mistake went something along the lines of "Hello and welcome to Macworld..."? :rolleyes:Steve forgot to talk about the Macs! :eek: :p :D

Doctor Q
Jan 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
He also forgot to thank MacRumors for stirring up so much interest in his keynote.

Anuba
Jan 12, 2007, 02:21 PM
Biggest mistake was that swastika T-shirt he wears under the turtleneck, it shows through in certain angles.

Bobdude161
Jan 12, 2007, 02:22 PM

I see one mistake here! :D

richk70
Jan 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
He said that iTMS had all six Star Trek movies (there are ten of them). I wonder if he was thinking of Star Wars...

IJ Reilly
Jan 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
Here's a boo-boo: When Steve is using the iPhone with Google Maps to search for Starbucks, he says he's searching in the area of Moscone West, because "that's where we are right now." But the keynote is presented in Moscone South.

This is sort of an interesting goof, because Moscone West is a fancy new building completed about a year ago on the west side of 4th Street, opposite the Metreon Center. I've been wondering whether MWSF might not relocate to Moscone West some year. Did Steve tip his hand?

After G
Jan 12, 2007, 04:00 PM
He said that iTMS had all six Star Trek movies (there are ten of them). I wonder if he was thinking of Star Wars...Maybe Steve ignored all the bad ones?

richk70
Jan 12, 2007, 04:04 PM
Maybe Steve ignored all the bad ones?

Perhaps. But then he should have said "all three Star Trek films"...

WildCowboy
Jan 12, 2007, 04:20 PM
This is sort of an interesting goof, because Moscone West is a fancy new building completed about a year ago on the west side of 4th Street, opposite the Metreon Center. I've been wondering whether MWSF might not relocate to Moscone West some year. Did Steve tip his hand?

I had noticed several articles in the Chronicle about MWSF mentioning that all three facilities were being used for the expo, but obviously they weren't using West (unless there was staging or some other behind-the-scenes stuff going on in there).

IJ Reilly
Jan 12, 2007, 04:25 PM
I had noticed several articles in the Chronicle about MWSF mentioning that all three facilities were being used for the expo, but obviously they weren't using West (unless there was staging or some other behind-the-scenes stuff going on in there).

I don't even know what's in that building, but it's quite huge, and from the outside it looks like a nicer facility than the older Mocone North and South complex.

WildCowboy
Jan 12, 2007, 04:29 PM
I don't even know what's in that building, but it's quite huge, and from the outside it looks like a nicer facility than the older Mocone North and South complex.

It is nice...I attended a conference there about a year ago. The first floor is a big open exhibit hall, while the second and third floors contain numerous smaller rooms with movable walls.

There's a ton of wasted space in the lobby areas along Fourth Street, even at crowded meetings. But yes, it is a very nice facility.

EricNau
Jan 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
While it's only a very minor mistake (if that), when Steve Jobs was rating the song Lovely Rita, he said "that's a five star album" when he probably should have said "that's a five star song" (because he was rating the song, not the album).

EricNau
Jan 12, 2007, 05:13 PM
While demonstrating the "favorites" feature for the iPhone, when adding Phil Schiller, Jobs says "up pop my favorites" when really, his contacts popped up.

Also, about a minute later he dials the number "4" and presses "call" (needless to say, the call didn't go through).

SkyBell
Jan 29, 2007, 12:43 AM
People keep saying "didn't Steve say "Thats all we're going to talk about today, is macs?" Where are the Macs?"

I think he meant it like, "That's all we're going to talk about Macs today"

I consider that somewhat of a mistake..

szark
Jan 29, 2007, 02:19 PM
Here's a boo-boo: When Steve is using the iPhone with Google Maps to search for Starbucks, he says he's searching in the area of Moscone West, because "that's where we are right now." But the keynote is presented in Moscone South.

No, the keynote was actually held in Moscone West this year. They've also used it for WWDC every year since it was completed.

IJ Reilly
Jan 29, 2007, 06:57 PM
No, the keynote was actually held in Moscone West this year. They've also used it for WWDC every year since it was completed.

The first time I miss it in years, and they go and move it on me!

elec999
Jan 30, 2007, 10:14 PM
$499 Looks better then $498. And sounds cheaper.
Thanks