PDA

View Full Version : I'm a runner-should I get a Ipod Video or Ipod Nano?

markw10
Jan 12, 2007, 02:17 AM
I do a lot of running, 5 times a week, about 3 miles a week. I've been using a iRiver 20GB based mp3 player for the last 2 years and have never had a problem with it.
Now that I've switched to Mac I've decided to switch to Ipod. I like the small size of the shuffle but don't like the lack of a screen. I've looked heavily at the nano but want the video and as well 8 gigs just doesn't seem like enough to me. I'm mostly interested in the 30 gig Ipod video model.
From talk over the last couple years I've heard how runners should stay away from hard drive based models only going with flash. If I need to make this choice I would choose the 8gb nano but then would want to get a ipod video for around the home use and honestly don't have the money to purchase 2 models. How safe is a ipod video for running/jogging?

markw10
Jan 12, 2007, 02:23 AM
I left this off but I will get the FM Remote with whichever model I go with. As well, I know the nano is more compact but the size won't really bother me. The iriver I have now I do well with and that is larger than a ipod Video.

liketom
Jan 12, 2007, 02:26 AM
get iPod Nano plus Nike+ you will never look back

see here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=266468

MacNut
Jan 12, 2007, 02:33 AM
Depends how far you are running and how much music you want to store.

After G
Jan 12, 2007, 02:36 AM
I don't think either would skip, as the hard-drive based iPods load songs into an anti-skip buffer and play off that. I'd be worried about bulkiness, but it seems you have considered that. I personally like the nano form factor more (have a 1g nano) and the fact that flash will NEVER skip but if there's a pressing need for video or higher capacity by all means get what fits you best.

DMBGuru
Jan 12, 2007, 02:54 AM
No matter about skipping... think about the moving parts.

Jarring the video ipod while running that much will over time spell out disaster.

A nano is solid-state, like a jump drive, and will never be damaged from the jolts of running.

Get a nano.

Accylad
Jan 12, 2007, 02:56 AM
I run with a Shuffle and because of its size and weight it's great. You dont need to worry about the screen etc and its seems to resist the rain ok.

Jaffa Cake
Jan 12, 2007, 03:11 AM
get iPod Nano plus Nike+ you will never look backIndeed it's worth pointing out too that the Nike+ kit will only work with the iPod nano (not the iPod video) so if you're thinking of going a kit at some point bear that in mind.

The Stig
Jan 12, 2007, 05:21 AM
Video? How much video will you be watching while you are running?!?!?! You're likely to get hit by a car and die... "at least I saw that episode of Desperate House wives", you'll be saying while bleeding to death on the curb.

So go with a nano. 2,000 songs is not enough for you? You said run 3 miles. If you are going to get tired of 2,000 songs you got to be one slow runner!

Plus other are saying: Moving parts, Nike (I prefer Adidas myself), small, lighter, better battery life.

I have a 30gb video and I like it but I would still like to have a nano because it is more portable (and i don't even run, I barely walk anyway!).

Nano. All the way. Just Do it (he he).

The Stig

liketom
Jan 12, 2007, 05:27 AM
Video? How much video will you be watching while you are running?!?!?! You're likely to get hit by a car and die...
The Stig

Well if it's you driving at 150Mph whilst learning Spanish :rolleyes:

Carl Spackler
Jan 12, 2007, 08:08 AM
I left this off but I will get the FM Remote with whichever model I go with. As well, I know the nano is more compact but the size won't really bother me. The iriver I have now I do well with and that is larger than a ipod Video.

Bear in mind that the radio remote and the Nike+ receiver cannot both be used at the same time, as they both plug into the same port.

I agree with everyone else, that the Nano and Nike+ combo are pretty great.

eenu
Jan 12, 2007, 08:47 AM
does anyone use the nike kit without the special nike shoes?

combatcolin
Jan 12, 2007, 09:19 AM
does anyone use the nike kit without the special nike shoes?

Waste of money.

Just buy a decent pair of trainers and go for a run, don't need stupidly expensive kit.

eb6
Jan 12, 2007, 09:29 AM
I haven't done any calculations but, I talked to my brother yesterday and he went with a refurb nano and a refurb video iPod and said it wasn't much different than buying a full price video price-wise. Granted his nano is probably a small one. Food for thought.

eenu
Jan 12, 2007, 09:49 AM
Waste of money.

Just buy a decent pair of trainers and go for a run, don't need stupidly expensive kit.

Didn't answer my question though.....

Can the Nike kit be used without the special Nike trainers?

eb6
Jan 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
Theoretically yes, the shoes just have an extra little dip on the inside for it to fit in. I think as long as its connected to the shoe, it will work.

SactoGuy18
Jan 12, 2007, 09:55 AM
...Get yourself the 4 GB or 8 GB iPod nano. :)

If you can afford it, get the nano + Nike kit that uses a special shoe to send information to your nano to keep track of your running progress.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 12, 2007, 10:12 AM
Can the Nike kit be used without the special Nike trainers?Yes.

michaelsaxon
Jan 12, 2007, 10:26 AM
Unless you want to use that Nike thing, get a Shuffle.

MattyMac
Jan 12, 2007, 11:02 AM
Go with a nano and the nike+ setup...it definitely makes running so much more enjoyable!

robPOD
Jan 12, 2007, 05:58 PM
I do a lot of running, 5 times a week, about 3 miles a week.

3 divided by 5 = 0.6 Wow you run a total of 0.6 miles each time you run? Why do you need an ipod becuase your only running for 5 minutes maximum. Why do you even go running?

After G
Jan 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
3 divided by 5 = 0.6 Wow you run a total of 0.6 miles each time you run? Why do you need an ipod becuase your only running for 5 minutes maximum. Why do you even go running?Actually running a mile takes me 10 minutes. So .6 miles would be 6 minutes for me. :D

Maybe he underestimates his mileage?

robPOD
Jan 13, 2007, 02:55 AM
Maybe he underestimates his mileage?

Obviously he does or he is seriously deluded

MeWannaMac
Jan 25, 2007, 11:18 PM
Get the Nano... Why would you need video if you are running?