Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Can anyone confirm the real-life differences in speed between a PC2700 1GB chip and a PC2100 IGB chip in a PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz which normally takes the PC2700?

I know the slower chip is compatible so I'm just wondering about the difference in performance. I can get it at half the price of the normal, slightly faster chip.

Thanks, David

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
i am sure the 2100 is the better chip but i am not compleatly sure

No, the PC2700 is the better faster chip and that is what the PowerBook ships with. I was asking if there was a major speed difference between the PC2100 chip and the PC2700 chip, as I can get the former much much cheaper.

Anyone?

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I know several brands do not work properly in de PowerBook so I would not even go about trying to put in PC2100 memory as it is slower and possibly not supported as well...

It may be cheaper but it may also be problematic and slow... We have a saying in Dutch: 'goedkoop is duur koop' which means something like 'a cheap buy is an expensive buy'. So you're probably better off paying a little bit more but in the end it will save you a lot of trouble and money.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
We have a saying in Dutch: 'goedkoop is duur koop' which means something like 'a cheap buy is an expensive buy'. So you're probably better off paying a little bit more but in the end it will save you a lot of trouble and money.

Hehe, I thought that was an Afrikaans saying.
Guess its true that we learn something new everyday.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I know several brands do not work properly in de PowerBook so I would not even go about trying to put in PC2100 memory as it is slower and possibly not supported as well...

It may be cheaper but it may also be problematic and slow... We have a saying in Dutch: 'goedkoop is duur koop' which means something like 'a cheap buy is an expensive buy'. So you're probably better off paying a little bit more but in the end it will save you a lot of trouble and money.

1. As I said, I know that this brand and speed WILL work in my PowerBook. That has not ever been the question.

2. I know that PC2100 is theoretically slower due to its lower Mhz rating.

3. It is not paying a 'little bit more', there is a difference of £50.

4. All I want to know is if there is any real-world difference in the performance of these two brands.

Please no more opinions about whether I should pay more and get the faster one (PC2700) unless you have a specific reason why which hasn't already been covered.

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.