PDA

View Full Version : next iPod

2ms
Jan 12, 2007, 11:27 AM
Now that the iPhone has been shown, especially with its touch interface, giant screen, and cool UI for the iPod aspects of its functionality, what are the latest speculations on when the next iPod will be out.

I just signed a two-year contract with a different cell service provider, so I'm not going to be able to get the iPhone for quite some time. However, I'm very interested in an iPod with much of its technology, the giant touchscreen in particular

adrianblaine
Jan 12, 2007, 11:35 AM
Now that the iPhone has been shown, especially with its touch interface, giant screen, and cool UI for the iPod aspects of its functionality, what are the latest speculations on when the next iPod will be out.

I just signed a two-year contract with a different cell service provider, so I'm not going to be able to get the iPhone for quite some time. However, I'm very interested in an iPod with much of its technology, the giant touchscreen in particular

This is something I've been thinking about, and I'm sure Apple has been thinking about... They are eventually going to have to make a widescreen iPod without the phone capability. Not everyone needs a "smart" phone. I'm kind of hoping it will have PDA like functionality, but just an iPod would be ok as well. I can't see them limiting the widescreen to just the iPhone.

jarcher1390
Jan 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
i think it will be like the iphone but without the phone features but with somit different

2ms
Jan 12, 2007, 01:04 PM
I'm sure it will be fantastic.

The question is, when will it come out? Any hints to and/or opinions on timeframe yet?

clevin
Jan 12, 2007, 01:32 PM
well, im glad ppl begin to noticed the nice of big screen.

OP's question, simple, apple need to pick a time that will not crush iPhone's market future, obviously, iPhone's major attraction is not its phone part, so if an iPod with touch screen , mini OSX and big screen comes out too soon, iPhone would be dead in a month.

so, i predict, apple will not introduce a iPod with above features in 6 months after the iPhone's entering of market. (if apple is serious about their future in cellphone market)

robPOD
Jan 12, 2007, 06:01 PM
I hope the true widescreen ipod comes out soon. I really want one.

DCBass
Jan 12, 2007, 06:45 PM
well, im glad ppl begin to noticed the nice of big screen.

OP's question, simple, apple need to pick a time that will not crush iPhone's market future, obviously, iPhone's major attraction is not its phone part, so if an iPod with touch screen , mini OSX and big screen comes out too soon, iPhone would be dead in a month.

so, i predict, apple will not introduce a iPod with above features in 6 months after the iPhone's entering of market. (if apple is serious about their future in cellphone market)

If that's the case, then Apple has themselves quite a problem. iPods haven't seen a major update since August 2005. If they wait six months after iPhone comes out, that basically puts us at Macworld 08 for 6th gen iPods. There's no way Apple would wait that long, especially since most people are already clamoring for a new version.

So... what's going to come along in the meantime? Frankly, I hope they come out with a 6G iPod that has everything the iPhone has, except the phone part. Seriously, I don't really care to combine my iPod and phone. Sometimes I like to let my wife or a friend borrow my iPod, or listen to it with some speakers, or watch a show with it connected to my tv. can't really practically do any of that stuff when it's a phone too. it doesn't make sense.

I predict a 6G iPod like the iPhone in June or July right after the iPhone is released. Steve just wanted to show everything together, but because I think they are really aimed at different markets, they can have both simultaneously.

There's still time Apple... if you're reading this.. just do it. You know I'm right and I know that there's a lot of people out there who want the same things I do.

-DCBass

clevin
Jan 12, 2007, 07:00 PM
haha, good, lets wait and see, u predict June or July, i Predict Dec. :D

think about it this way, iPod is dominate in market, delaying next generation won't hurt. but iPhone is new to a different market, which is businesslike important, i think apple knew it.

ShermDog
Jan 12, 2007, 07:13 PM
think about it this way, iPod is dominate in market, delaying next generation won't hurt. but iPhone is new to a different market, which is businesslike important, i think apple knew it.

I think everyone is expecting a new iPod with everything the iPhone has sans the phone. This might actually hurt 5G iPod sales because nobody wants to plunk down a few hundred dollars for an iPod when a more desirable one may be "just around the corner".

pianoman
Jan 12, 2007, 07:20 PM
let's not forget the recent, somewhat regular iPod release schedule. for the past two years (at least), Apple has updated the iPod line in September/October. why would you expect anything different this year? of course, now that the iPhone has been introduced, we could very well see something in April.

clevin
Jan 12, 2007, 07:25 PM
well, its always a balance,
hurting in 5.5G vs. gaining in iPhone,

for some reason, I think a new market is more important for apple now, after all, iPod doesn't have serious competition for now. whats the motivation for getting next gen of iPod out in Apri? to solidify a dominance of 70% of market share? I doubt it.

DCBass
Jan 12, 2007, 10:29 PM
a balancing game indeed.

if apple doesn't introduce a 6g ipod until dec. or jan, they would most certainly have to do another mi-cycle update.

how bout 50 and 100GB at the same price points?

dllavaneras
Jan 12, 2007, 10:49 PM
I disagree. Cell phones and music players are different markets. Especially since the 6th gen iPod won't have 8Gb, it'll have 40-60 Gb min. Seagate and Hitachi have 100-120 Gb hard drives "iPod size", (released in december, I think) so we may well see them in the next revision, which I see in the near future. I doubt it'll be until October. If they release the 6th gen iPod soon, the whole "iPod killer" thing will be a thing of the past

buffalo
Jan 12, 2007, 11:08 PM
I'd be all over a widescreen iPod with touch and wifi capabilities of the iPhone.

dllavaneras
Jan 12, 2007, 11:10 PM
I've personally used a WiFi network only once. What would be the advantages of having it on the next iPod?

2ms
Jan 13, 2007, 02:05 AM
well, for one, to buy songs, movies, tv shows, using iPod itself rather than having extra middle step of downloading it onto computer and then tranfering to iPod.

I personally predict new iPod will come out at approximately same time as iPhone and that is will basically be an iPhone without the phone and internet and email and all that -- ie it will have the big touchscreen and new UI, but many times the storage. I think the reason Apple had to announce iPhone now was that the process of getting FCC approval or something would have divulged all the details of phone at this time anyway. Thus, Apple decided it was best to present the phone themselves rather than having the phone info come out through other mediums. I believe this need will not affect the 6G iPod, so it will be able to come out right when announced.

robPOD
Jan 13, 2007, 02:58 AM
I've personally used a WiFi network only once. Where do you live?

freebooter
Jan 13, 2007, 03:22 AM
I've personally used a WiFi network only once. What would be the advantages of having it on the next iPod?

What exactly is "WiFi"? I don't think I've ever "accessed" a "WiFi Network." Is that like "wireless" "internets"?

SkyBell
Jan 13, 2007, 03:47 AM
I think the widesrceen will be the "One moer thing..." For 2008.

Please excuse the spelling mistakes, It 3 AM, and the keyboard if becoming blurry...

acmc
Jan 13, 2007, 04:10 PM
Didn't I read a confirmation somewhere that 50 and 100 gb hard drives of the size that only ipods use were being made? Based on that I definately thought 50 ipods of that size were going to be announced last week and still think they're coming before a iphone minus phone ipod comes out. 30 and 80 is such an odd choice anyway.

In any event, count me among those who would never want my phone and my ipod to be the same device. I just use them in such completely different ways it would never make sense.

dizastor
Jan 13, 2007, 04:17 PM
The question is, when will it come out? Any hints to and/or opinions on timeframe yet?

I wouldn't expect to see a full screen multi-touch iPod until MWSF 2008. I just can't see them releasing something that does all of the cool stuff that the iPhone does, minus the phone for say $399. I think it would crush the iPhone sales, because the same gadget geeks buying the iPhone would be the ones buying the high end 100gig touch screen iPod and they'd probably lean towards bigger HD over Phone-tionality.

I think they're going to see if the iPhone sinks or swims and then take baby steps introducing it's features into a proper iPod.

With all that, I hope I'm wrong.

dizastor
Jan 13, 2007, 04:21 PM
What exactly is "WiFi"? I don't think I've ever "accessed" a "WiFi Network." Is that like "wireless" "internets"?

So, the internet is Tubes... we can all agree on that. Wireless Internets is like tubless tubes floating in space. Easy, right?

I received an internet just the other day... ;)

dllavaneras
Jan 13, 2007, 04:41 PM
Where do you live?

Up in the mountains :p

needthephone
Jan 14, 2007, 09:35 AM
As someone has said I would be surprised if an ipod is released with that multi touch interface as people would buy that and not the phone. I think apple are going at the phone market 100% now and the ipod will take a lesser position. Did you see that chart at the end of the key note about how many phones, MP3 players etc were sold-Mobile phone sales drawfed everythng else by a long long way, apple has bigger fish to fry now.

Interesting dlema for apple - do they negelect the ipod now or risk canabilising unreleased iphone sales???

That user interface has so many applications, I could use a nice little had held ipoid, wifi internet capable, hand held computer thingy without the phone.

What's it going to do to the next imac imagine not having a keyboard???