PDA

View Full Version : 5G and Nike+iPod

thebiggoose
Jan 12, 2007, 09:47 PM
Is there any chance a Nike+ iPod aapter will be released to wrk with the full sized iPod? I don't wanna buy a whole new ipod just for running. Wht happens if you try and use the nike + kit with a full size? re there ny hacks?

EDIT: I don't wanna hera about running with a hard drive...cuz i do it quite often with my 5 G and its fine!

Chundles
Jan 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
Is there any chance a Nike+ iPod aapter will be released to wrk with the full sized iPod? I don't wanna buy a whole new ipod just for running. Wht happens if you try and use the nike + kit with a full size? re there ny hacks?

No.

The Nike + iPod kit is designed only for the nano.

If Apple were to release the Nike kit for the 5G iPod it would constitute an admission by Apple that the 5G iPod is suitable for running. If Apple were to do this then any damage to the iPod caused by shocks to the HDD during running/jogging would need to be covered under warranty. The high-density HDDs used in the current crop of iPods would not deal well with being shaken around to the extent experienced during running and there would be a raft of particularly expensive repairs that would have to be done by, and paid for by, Apple. No company would want the kind of negative press after that.

So no, Apple will not allow the Nike kit to work with the 5G iPod in order to cover it's arse from bad press and expensive repairs.

There aren't any hacks.

gauchogolfer
Jan 12, 2007, 09:53 PM
I haven't seen any hacks,but I think the chance of one being officially released by Apple is zero. No way will they take responsibility by supporting jogging with the HD iPods. Even if the increased failure rate is low, it's just not worth it to them.

Chundles
Jan 12, 2007, 09:56 PM
EDIT: I don't wanna hera about running with a hard drive...cuz i do it quite often with my 5 G and its fine!

Well that's the reason they won't do it so suck it up princess. HDDs and running do not mix, sure yours might be fine now but one day when transferring data from the drive to the RAM it could get a bigger than usual bump and bam, that's it, dead HDD.

Wanna run with an iPod and not risk damage, nano or shuffle are perfect. A nano lets you use the Nike+ kit.