PDA

View Full Version : What about 802.11n firmware update?

HawaiiMacAddict
Jan 13, 2007, 01:55 AM
Aloha everyone,

I'm not convinced that the Airport Extreme is really worth the $180 price tag, other than it being an Apple product, and I think, uhh KNOW, that Apple rocks. I was wondering about the CD contained with it, however. Apparently it contains the firmware update necessary to enable 802.11n capability in the NICs of all the Core2Duo Macs, of which I have one. What about those of us who either haven't bought, or aren't interested in buying, the Airport Extreme? Has anyone heard any rumors of Apple offering the firmware update through Software Updates? I mean, no offense, but we can find other "pre 802.11n" routers for far less.

HawaiiMacAddict

Willis
Jan 13, 2007, 05:56 PM
Ive bee thinking this too. But I dont think Apple will release it as an update until the new Airport Extreme is released. (FEB) If at all!

iJon
Jan 13, 2007, 06:36 PM
The high price comes from the features like USB hard drive and printer sharing. So yes there are cheaper alternatives but you'd be hard pressed to find these features on other routers.

As for the update, I'm sure Apple will release an update. If not you will probably find the updater leaked to the net when the router starts shipping late next month.

jon

aswitcher
Jan 13, 2007, 11:11 PM
And my question is, will Apple's N work with anyone elses?

iJon
Jan 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
And my question is, will Apple's N work with anyone elses?

Since it is the Draft-N spec then I would assume it would.

jon

aswitcher
Jan 13, 2007, 11:16 PM
Since it is the Draft-N spec then I would assume it would.

jon

Sure, but with G you cant 'mesh' network properly unless its all Apple G products. I assume we can expect the same for N.

trainguy77
Jan 13, 2007, 11:26 PM
The update will be in software update when it starts shipping. Otherwise people will just torrent it so fast. It makes no sense to not send out an update.

DsurioN
Jan 22, 2007, 11:08 PM
Apparently, for accounting reasons, they have to sell the update for $2 because they are adding functionality to products that have already shipped. (From the MacRumors front page)

bousozoku
Jan 22, 2007, 11:32 PM
Apparently, for accounting reasons, they have to sell the update for $2 because they are adding functionality to products that have already shipped. (From the MacRumors front page)

It would probably be a good idea to follow the official thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=271382) now: