Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Looks like VoodooPC came out with a 17 inch notebook. The one they showed at e3 was a 15 inch laptop. He mentioned that you can order it with a 16:10 17" screen. He said the model was roughly 6 pounds, so I think he was talking about the 15 inch model. Not really sure. Voodoo came out with a lot of awesome computers, especially the watercooled Shuttle which is drool worthy for any LAN partier. Here, you can check it out yourself. This isnt intendend for a mac pc debate, just wanted to show to cool goodies that e3 had to show to all the gamers on this site.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/402/402366p1.html

iJon

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Originally posted by alia
Not trying to start an argument here, but man... that red is seriously hideous!

Yeah, looks like someone didn't get enough attention as a child. When I read your post, I thought you means some kind of dark red or maroon, but it's actually fire-truck red.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Too bad this doesn't have a barfing face icon. I would be ashamed to walk around with that thing! It's hideous!

Perhaps Virgin Atlantic Airlines will start using them or something.

garzy

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2002
yeah that thing sucks

why do pc cases have to be so ugly?
they always have crazy lights, windows, and nasty colors
they should try and look classy like apples cases

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
well, i like the color. at least you are sure to be seen...
hence, the wintel notebooks with 17 '' screen have all around 5 kg ! not really portable.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Thanks for the link to the Voodoo line up!

The best part was playing with the Absolut Vodka ad.

The worst part was the machines themselves...somebody needs to stick pins in those Voodoo monstrosities and put them, and us, out of our collective misery.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Strangely enough, I actually quite like what they're doing there at Voodoo PC. They're not just slapping the components into any old box, and selling them at bargain-basement prices, but instead are offering a style and service, together with the most up-to-date hardware available at the time. It might not be to everyone's taste, but then you're never going to be able to please everyone.

I only wish there were more companies with similar offerings.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
That lame tribal design on the laptop looks more like a Rorshach test.

In which case, I see two large nuns eating ice cream from a bird feeder.

Is that good or bad?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
The PC spin....Well it's big!!! And it's the world's first 17 inch notebook computer. Errrrrr......that Apple one doesn't count.....Macs really aren't computers.....

lol.

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Freg3000
The PC spin....Well it's big!!! And it's the world's first 17 inch notebook computer. Errrrrr......that Apple one doesn't count.....Macs really aren't computers.....

lol.
i specifcally read what they said and im almost sure they said the first 17" laptop for windows xp. what i am still trying to figure out is if that laptop they showed was the 17 inch model, if it is then it is 6 pounds, which is less than apples.

iJon

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
I just got a disgusting ad before going to the article. It said "don't smok pot" "get the facts here" I clicked on the link and what they had where the furthest form facts I've ever seen. Okay, so I don' tlive in the USA, if this is some USA government message hen Why do I have to endure it.!!!

Sorry that was off topic, I wil start a new thread if there is demand.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by garzy
why do pc cases have to be so ugly?
they always have crazy lights, windows, and nasty colors
they should try and look classy like apples cases
pc users try to make them look attractive on the outside to make up for the hideousness inside :)
but it's fun...i did it to my PC and it's all Apple style now...silvery graphite outside with the apple logo but i just had to put in a window so i can look at the glowing watercooling system inside :p
think of it as an iMac kind of thing. But then nobody complained about the actual colors of the iMac...

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
I just got a disgusting ad before going to the article. It said "don't smok pot" "get the facts here" I clicked on the link and what they had where the furthest form facts I've ever seen. Okay, so I don' tlive in the USA, if this is some USA government message hen Why do I have to endure it.!!!

Sorry that was off topic, I wil start a new thread if there is demand.

Shame on you for being for illegal drug use. Our government is trying reduce drug use and it uses public service messages. You don't have to read them or believe them, but I have never seen a lot of druggies make it too far in the world. At least, not the ones I personally know. They all failed out of college too busy getting stoned.

If the facts are disturbing to you, then use Safari's "Block Pop Up Windows" feature.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
they're disgusting!!

What a horrible combination of colours, Red PC, blue, green and orange OS theme.

I got an add for sprite, not some anti-drug ad. They're flash ads too, not in a popup so blockers won't work.

I don't think anyone should attack anyone for pointing out holes in the anti-drug propeganda (love to have a link to that to check it out), most anti-drug ads I've seen are about as informative as mr mackey going "drugs are baaad... mkayy!", Why not be more specific and tell people, why and how they're bad, giving lots of realworld examples instead of just preaching the same old "just say no" stuff that's never worked in the past and won't work now.

Don't attack me for my views on drugs, I've never done anything stronger than weed, that was a 2 or 3 times a year occurance if at all and even though I havn't touched it since 1999, I regret using it ever because it led to me smoking that Expensive, Legal, Taxable drug you mix with it.

I've only managed to quit smoking for the whole of this year after smoking habitually for 6 years or so, I wish I'd never started in the first place.

As for drugs, each to their own, anything addictive and habbit forming sounds like a really bad idea to me (and anyone with any common sense or values their own life). I actually think in the long run, it's a benefit to the entire planet when some worthless scum get hooked on smack and end up dead, it's self induced population control and must do wonders for the average global intelligence level, not to mention stop people from being robbed because there'll be one less P.O.S. turning to crime so they can afford their pathetic, self destructive habbit.

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Shame on you for being for illegal drug use. Our government is trying reduce drug use and it uses public service messages. You don't have to read them or believe them, but I have never seen a lot of druggies make it too far in the world. At least, not the ones I personally know. They all failed out of college too busy getting stoned.

If the facts are disturbing to you, then use Safari's "Block Pop Up Windows" feature.

Looks like you might wanna get your facts straight. Read Eric Schlosser's Reefer Madness to get some idea. THen you can see what our government studies have said and what our politicians response was.... my personal favorite was nixon, "It is the jews." And before you reply with some empty rhetoric actual read the book so the response will be meaningful.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Originally posted by herr_neumann
Looks like you might wanna get your facts straight. Read Eric Schlosser's Reefer Madness to get some idea. THen you can see what our government studies have said and what our politicians response was.... my personal favorite was nixon, "It is the jews." And before you reply with some empty rhetoric actual read the book so the response will be meaningful.

I will walk into my 5th grade classroom tomorrow and tell all of them that I recommend that they smoke pot. I wonder how long (in hours) it will take to get fired.

I work hard to set an example for my students, and being personally drug-free is one of them. It is a personal moral that I hold regardless of the so called "facts". Call me stupid and a bad teacher, but I hate hypocrites that stand up there and say one thing and do the other. I hate being ridiculed because I do not believe in pot smoking or other drug use and I do what I can to help kids avoid it.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
now that's QUITE enough

Personal morals, scientific facts, governmental studies, political responses,
Reefer Madness, Jews, and Gentiles...whatever your stance or belief is on the use of drugs, pot or otherwise, can we please get back to the topic at hand, which is:

Was the butt-ugly Wintel 17" Voodoo notebook thing designed by a stoner?:rolleyes:

markomarko

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta
That's not a 17" in the pictures

The sentence is very well written, but still gets the point across:

"As opposed to its enormous desktop replacement systems -- you can now order one with a 16:10 17-inch LCD -- this system weighs only about six pounds and has a four-hour battery life."

It could be rewritten like this: As opposed to Voodoo's desktop replacement systems, which can be ordered with a 16:10 17-inch LCD, this system weighs only about six pounds and has a four-hour battery life.

In other words, no, the laptop pictured is not the 17-inch screen desktop replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.