PDA

View Full Version : PC at home for 3 months; already has virus

bbarnhart
May 14, 2003, 09:52 AM
I brought home an old PC from work a few months ago because my wife needed a PC to some a piece of software for her work. Over the weekend it became 'wierd' and unresponsive. Found out it got the Klez virus. Just lovely.

Any cheap (free) virus apps for Windows? Thanks

applemacdude
May 14, 2003, 10:54 AM
thats why i dont use pcs....you might find one at www.download.com

britboy
May 14, 2003, 11:10 AM
If you're looking for a decent, free anti-virus app, you could do worse that to use AVG (http://www.grisoft.com). It's free for personal use; you only pay if it's for a business. I use it on my windows computers, and none have been infected by a virus yet.

Roger1
May 14, 2003, 11:13 AM
Go to Nortons website and dig around. They have free virus removal tools on their website.

Here is a link to a free klez removal tool:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.html

Good luck.

guitargeek
May 14, 2003, 02:23 PM
I always use AVG on windows. They have a free version. Go to www.grisoft.com and download it. Works pretty good, although I've heard they don't keep as up to date with the free version as they do the retail versions...

mactastic
May 14, 2003, 02:42 PM
Try putting a condom on the ethernet cable before you plug it in!

edesignuk
May 14, 2003, 02:55 PM
It's not free, but it is good. I use Norton AntiVirus Corporate 7.61 (KaZaA ;)), automatic virus definition updates, real time file system protection, I have NEVER had a virus.

MrMacMan
May 14, 2003, 04:07 PM
It took 3 months to get a virus, wow you held out way long...

wdlove
May 14, 2003, 08:34 PM
McAfee Antivirus is also a good program, costs around $30.00!

MacFan25
May 14, 2003, 08:50 PM
i would look at norton or mcafee's sites.

ive been lucky and never had a virus.

Kwyjibo
May 14, 2003, 09:44 PM
I have a "controversial" copy of Norton 2003 on my PC, and its screened stuff pretty well over the years. Its also good because it goes to a blue screen when someone downloadsa a virus. This is good for the family because well i don't have to find files and they can't actviate things far anough to do damage yet.