PDA

View Full Version : Is the iPod Hi-Fi doing well?

p0intblank
Jan 13, 2007, 10:42 AM
Last I heard it was doing okay and that Apple is continuing development. However I just noticed AppleTV took its place in the iPod Store on their Web site. Also it's nowhere to be seen on the store's main page. You have to directly link to www.apple.com/ipodhifi to find it.

Any word on this?

Warbrain
Jan 13, 2007, 10:57 AM
Last I heard it was doing okay and that Apple is continuing development. However I just noticed AppleTV took its place in the iPod Store on their Web site. Also it's nowhere to be seen on the store's main page. You have to directly link to www.apple.com/ipodhifi to find it.

Any word on this?

I don't know about anything that Apple might have to say about it, but it was on clearance at Target one weekend for 30%. They had them stashed in the back wall aisle with orange clearance stickers on them. I took this as a bad sign.

shunpike
Jan 13, 2007, 12:36 PM
I heard it was doing OK as well - but for 220 i don't know how well - I guess apple TV is the newest thing so that has to take priority - if you haven't bought a iPod hi-fi by now then you probably won't buy one now

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2007, 01:43 PM
I don't know about anything that Apple might have to say about it, but it was on clearance at Target one weekend for 30%. They had them stashed in the back wall aisle with orange clearance stickers on them. I took this as a bad sign.

I saw the same thing at Target here.

It looks too big for someone's shelf and I don't believe that people realise that you can use it outside on battery power.

wordmunger
Jan 13, 2007, 01:50 PM
I had read somewhere that it was the best selling speaker for the iPod. But it is odd that it doesn't show up until the second page in the speaker section of the store.

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
I had read somewhere that it was the best selling speaker for the iPod. But it is odd that it doesn't show up until the second page in the speaker section of the store.

That might be that Apple are trying to promote third party products since they've been seen as eliminating competition, real or not.

wozzlewoozle
Jan 13, 2007, 02:04 PM
I had also heard/read that the hi-fi was doing well. From what I had read and heard it provided very good quality sound. If it is on the way out, that's too bad.

Blue Velvet
Jan 13, 2007, 02:08 PM
Mine's doing well, thanks. :)

Sitting on top of my fridge in the kitchen, it is largish and it's pretty heavy, especially with the batteries installed, but to me that's a sign of a good cabinet which contributes to its outstanding sound quality for something of that size and form.

Sounds superb outdoors too. Not weedy in the slightest. ;)

swingerofbirch
Jan 13, 2007, 02:16 PM
The Apple TV and iPod HiFi overlap in functionality to a small degree. Both allow you to play music from iTunes with higher quality speakers and in a more social area than a computer with built in speakers, which is more likely to be in an office than a living room.

The Apple TV would be worse for playing music for our family than my iMac with attached 2.1 speakers though as we have a very old school 27" tube TV with built in speakers.

So if anyone in my family were interested in playing music from iTunes elsewhere in the house they would be more likely to buy an iPod HiFi than Apple TV, especially since I have very limited video content from iTunes and I think our TV is incompatible with Apple TV anyway.

So, it's a product that looks nice to me, but too expensive, I'm not saying it's too expensive for what it is (I've never heard it), just too expensive for my budget.

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2007, 02:21 PM
Mine's doing well, thanks. :)

Sitting on top of my fridge in the kitchen, it is largish and it's pretty heavy, especially with the batteries installed, but to me that's a sign of a good cabinet which contributes to its outstanding sound quality for something of that size and form.

Sounds superb outdoors too. Not weedy in the slightest. ;)

With all that electromagnetic energy happening, does your fridge door open when the timpani play? :D

snakelda
Jan 13, 2007, 02:23 PM
I would buy one if they coast around $100

Blue Velvet
Jan 13, 2007, 02:24 PM
With all that electromagnetic energy happening, does your fridge door open when the timpani play? :D

No, but the bass in the drum and bass provides motion in the ocean. :D
Thinking of moving it next to my bed and connecting the DAB tuner to it. ;)

iMeowbot
Jan 13, 2007, 02:27 PM
iPod Hi-Fi sales have been meh (http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2006/09/the_first_of_ma.html). Not horrible, not leading, just kind of okay.

pseudobrit
Jan 14, 2007, 02:12 PM

Any word on this?

Amazon is selling them for $299

Jeonat
Jan 15, 2007, 12:17 AM
I think the market for iPod speakers is big, but for some reason the iPod Hi-Fi hasn't taken off in the way Apple wanted. I don't really know why, but could be because it's quite expensive and there are cheaper iPod compatible speakers available... could be because the size/design is a bit off putting... no display, stuff like that?

They had a golden opportunity to integrate AirTunes etc. and they missed out. But that's water under the bridge now with the Apple TV unit.

I went for a JBL set of speakers and they look much better than the Hi-Fi and were cheaper too :)

GFLPraxis
Jan 15, 2007, 01:41 AM
I have yet to see anyone buy one at CompUSA.

bommai
Jan 27, 2007, 10:45 PM
I think the market for iPod speakers is big, but for some reason the iPod Hi-Fi hasn't taken off in the way Apple wanted. I don't really know why, but could be because it's quite expensive and there are cheaper iPod compatible speakers available... could be because the size/design is a bit off putting... no display, stuff like that?

They had a golden opportunity to integrate AirTunes etc. and they missed out. But that's water under the bridge now with the Apple TV unit.

I went for a JBL set of speakers and they look much better than the Hi-Fi and were cheaper too :)

The iPod Hifi is woefully inadequate. Since this is coming from Apple, they should have combined the functionality of Airport Express with a small display with what they have right now for the same price. That kind of product will have no competition (other than the Roku Soundbridge Radio).

Chundles
Jan 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
Don't think it's doing all that well here - at $519 I can't think of a reason why... :rolleyes:

It's really expensive - more expensive than any iPod on the market - and that's definitely holding it back. Apple don't seem to want to discount it though.

Sol
Jan 28, 2007, 02:12 AM
Don't think it's doing all that well here - at $519 I can't think of a reason why... :rolleyes:

It's really expensive - more expensive than any iPod on the market - and that's definitely holding it back. Apple don't seem to want to discount it though.

You should check out the nearest MYER Store. In Brisbane they are selling iPod HiFi for AUD $420 and the Bose Soundock for $399.

Chundles
Jan 28, 2007, 02:18 AM
You should check out the nearest MYER Store. In Brisbane they are selling iPod HiFi for AUD $420 and the Bose Soundock for $399.

My local Myer has it for $519, Soundock is $399 though.

Mind you my local Myer is shoite.

Stinger123
Jan 28, 2007, 10:43 AM
Well, I'm temted to get one. Do you think I should wait and see if they realese a new version or would that have been said at Macworld?

thanks

live4ever
Jan 28, 2007, 12:00 PM
For its price, I always thought it should've had an Airport Express built right into it to provide Airtunes compatibility right out of the box.

steve_hill4
Jan 28, 2007, 12:07 PM
I would still favour the Bose or more so the IM7 speakers over the iPod hi-fi, (although the IM7's look fairly bad, they sound brilliant).

Bose Sound Docks fly off the shelf from what i've seen, but people have to be told and hear the iPod Hi-Fi to become interested. They do take batteries and have an aux in though, and the Bose can't claim either of those.

micsaund
Jan 28, 2007, 01:10 PM
No, but the bass in the drum and bass provides motion in the ocean. :D
Thinking of moving it next to my bed and connecting the DAB tuner to it. ;)

Must... ignore... wandering... imagination... :D

Whew - back on topic:

At $350 (US) for an amplified speaker, that's a bit too expensive I think. I know that I was interested when it was announced, *until* I heard the price. That's just simply too much unless you use it as your primary stereo IMHO.

And, for a primary stereo, it's not big enough. For use on a desk to listen to podcasts or background music, it's too large physically. In my eye, it's somewhat straddling categories and will only appeal to a certain user with dedicated shelf-space and who feels they want to spend that kind of cash on a secondary stereo.

For $200, I'd probably grab one, but even that is high when you can get the Logitech mm50 and some other very nice, optionally battery powered, speakers for $150ish and under. Granted, they won't pound the bass out like BV is hoping ;) but they do fit nicely on a desk and fit better into an expected category of use.

Mike

Aegelward
Jan 28, 2007, 06:42 PM
for the money that they want for an ipod hi-fi they had better update it with airtunes, there are LOTS of ipod speaker sets now. from grossly budget, to staggeringly high end. but if apple built airtunes functionality in, i think it could give it some edge against its competition...

lozanoj83
Jan 28, 2007, 07:20 PM
for the money that they want for an ipod hi-fi they had better update it with airtunes, there are LOTS of ipod speaker sets now. from grossly budget, to staggeringly high end. but if apple built airtunes functionality in, i think it could give it some edge against its competition...

I agree
for myself, its too pricey, its like buying a completely new iPod!
Seriously Apple has to lower the price somehow, i can get some Logitech stereo's for 150ish... 100.. depending what i get.. and they still sound good as the Hi-Fi! Given the iPod dosent have the more features it has when its connected to the Hi-Fi, I would sacrifice those to save price....

Also! Its too damn big! Seriously.. it wouldn't fit in my desk unless i put in in my shelf next to it and take of my Model Ship and Printer!!

ok thats my rant...

BigPrince
Jan 28, 2007, 07:21 PM
I would buy a third party for cheaper but just as good (there were a million at Macworld) and then put an Apple Sticker on it.

lozanoj83
Jan 28, 2007, 07:24 PM
I would buy a third party for cheaper but just as good (there were a million at Macworld) and then put an Apple Sticker on it.

LOL, that what i would also do..
I did it with my Brother Laser Printer.. slapped and Apple Sticker on its side... :p

BigPrince
Jan 28, 2007, 07:27 PM
In the office theres a dell with an Apple Sticker on it, and 8/10 it will turn my head.

lozanoj83
Jan 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
In the office theres a dell with an Apple Sticker on it, and 8/10 it will turn my head.

LOL, im with you on the turning of the head... if @ my school they had those awfull DULL Optiplexus with Apple Stickers, I would always turn my head...
my TA(Team Advisory) is the computer room... filled with pure Dells....
its a living hell each day... :p

net26
Jan 31, 2007, 06:23 AM
although the hi-fi might work for me, the airtunes (or lack thereof) put me off... i already had one AE connected to the main stereo, and really liked the functionality, so the iPod hifi AND AE would probably rock... but for 350+129 for AE, I decided to go with logitech+AE (z-2300, 200W) and it works incredibly. got everything for 250, the only downside is it has no iPod dock... but i can live with that...

iW00t
Jan 31, 2007, 06:41 AM
I actually saw it in the shop the other day (can't believe I never noticed) and realised that the iPod Hifi is made of this light weight thin and flimsy "shiny" white plastic.

I couldn't believe it.

All along I thought it is made of denser and sturdier plastics with perhaps a matte finish. For such an expensive box it really proves once and for all that the retail price of Apple products does not reflect on its quality in the slightest. Steve would polish a turd white and sell it for $1000 with no remorse or guilt if he can.

Blue Velvet
Jan 31, 2007, 06:58 AM
I actually saw it in the shop the other day (can't believe I never noticed) and realised that the iPod Hifi is made of this light weight thin and flimsy "shiny" white plastic.

Nonsense.

Perhaps if you touched it, instead of looking at it, you'd have realised that the construction of this cabinet is substantial and easily matches the weight of proper hifi speaker cabinets. Perhaps if you had also lifted it, you would have also realised how sturdy it is. I own one of these boxes, you don't.

The quality of this piece of kit is undoubted; however the quality of many of your opinions isn't.

Queso
Jan 31, 2007, 07:00 AM

I couldn't believe it.
No, I don't either :rolleyes:

Chundles
Jan 31, 2007, 07:00 AM

I couldn't believe it.

All along I thought it is made of denser and sturdier plastics with perhaps a matte finish. For such an expensive box it really proves once and for all that the retail price of Apple products does not reflect on its quality in the slightest. Steve would polish a turd white and sell it for $1000 with no remorse or guilt if he can.

What a load of crap. The HiFi is very sturdy, the plastic is hardly lightweight and the build quality is fantastic - it's very expensive though.

Yet another iWoot fishing trip, ya got me round the gills this time woot.

jsw
Jan 31, 2007, 07:28 AM
...the iPod Hifi is made of this light weight thin and flimsy "shiny" white plastic.

... etc. ...
I'm going to say this publicly because I think people would be well served to be made aware of the general policy we have of not tolerating trolls. It's fine to not like something Apple makes. Granted, Apple's not perfect, Steve Jobs is an egomaniac, and not all they make is worthwhile. In fact, I secretly (well, not secretly any more) like that there are members of the community who enjoy pointing out flaws with Apple's products or mention better products made by their competitors.

However, this is true only when the flaws are at least reasonably viewable as valid. You, sir, tend to state blatant falsehoods - like "thin and flimsy" - to stir the pot. Be advised that this won't be tolerated.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 31, 2007, 09:35 PM

I couldn't believe it.

I bought a iPod Hifi (an Xmas present to myself) it looks great, feels solid and the sound is pretty darn good as well. Obviously you haven't looked close enough and if you don't like iPods buy a Zune.

theMaccer
Feb 1, 2007, 12:18 AM
Target has it on sale for $179, which i think is a very good deal. Go look at the 470 reviews on apple.com about this hi-fi, you will find it worth every penny of it, at least i personally do.

JeffGilly
Feb 5, 2007, 11:01 AM
I think the sound quality of the HiFi is awesome, and I was thinking seriously several months ago about buying one, but after further listening, I felt it was very directional. Listening to it from the side or above the direction it points, the quality goes down. The sweet spot directly in front of the speaker is awesome, however. Better than any other's that I listened to, except for maybe the JBL Radial. That has awesome sound in all directions but I don't think it's portable. Has others noticed the directional sound of the HiFi?

CEAbiscuit
Feb 5, 2007, 11:13 AM
I think one needs to adjust expectations qhen buying an all -in-one ysstem like the hifi- it serves it's purpose- easy to set up, easy to move around and it has decent sound.

I used to think "wow"- my home stereo sounds a heck of a lot "better" but hey, the hifi is what it is. And if you can get it for $179, it's a pretty good deal.

It ain't flimsy eaither, it's pretty tough heavy with all those batteries loaded up. ;)

That being said, I have a Specktone and love it. Sounds almost as good as the HiFi and I got it on ebay for 12 bucks plus shipping...

mfacey
Feb 5, 2007, 12:59 PM
I never got the point of the HiFi. Sure the sound quality is good, but its hardly portable and I personally think its fugly! So you can get a Sounddock which has reasonable sound quality, is compacter and looks a lot better than the HiFi. Or spare yourself the effort, get a decent stereo, a dock with a line out and use that (you can even get a new dock with remote). Works the same. Looks better. Sounds better.

Blue Velvet
Feb 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
...its hardly portable...

It is. Heavyish with the batteries in it, but I carried it through Regent's Park with no probs. I'm not that strong and it's not even that big. And it's much better sounding than the Sound Dock which is certainly not portable as it doesn't take batteries.

I've just moved mine a few minutes ago, picking it up with one hand by its built-in handles, and moved it from the kitchen to next to the bed and hooked it up to the DAB tuner.

I like how people have such firmly-held opinions on it without owning one. Never mind; I hope to pick up a second one at some point if they're being discounted because of poor sales. Mount it on a bracket in the kitchen and hook it up to an Airport Express. :)

zelmo
Feb 5, 2007, 03:13 PM
While I am very happy with my SoundDock, I'll agree that the iPod Hi-Fi sounds better. Had it been available when I got my Bose, I'd have bought one instead. Obviously, portability and the ability to hook up other music sources were not important to me, but it's always nice to leave one's options open.:)

madmaxmedia
Feb 7, 2007, 01:16 AM
For $179 it's nice. It's not designed to be an ultraportable, it's more for listening around the house I think.

I got a Klipsch iFi for $150 at Costco, which sounds better but isn't portable at all. But I also got a cheap set of JBL OnTour for going to the beach, etc.

It just depends on what your individual needs are.

Mr L
Feb 8, 2007, 09:09 PM
Back in Germany this little thing won against all other competitors

http://www.teufel.de/de/iTeufel/s_895.cfm

http://www.teufel.de/images/upload/iteufel_big.jpg

Btw, Teufel is not a no-name brand, in Germany it's the name in speakers

Uh, I forgot it comes with a subwoofer included

http://www.teufel.de/skins/images/pics/iTeufel_sw_big.jpg

kavika411
Feb 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
Has anyone beside that one posting actually seen the Hi-Fi for sale for $179? Everyone keeps using that price as a discussion point, but I've never seen the price dip below even $300 at Target or otherwise.

bommai
Feb 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
Has anyone beside that one posting actually seen the Hi-Fi for sale for $179? Everyone keeps using that price as a discussion point, but I've never seen the price dip below even $300 at Target or otherwise.

I saw it for that price at my local Target. They had two of them. I didn't really need it. I almost thought of buying them and putting them on eBay, but they wanted 15% restocking fee if I brought it back. So, I did not get them.

holamiamigos
Feb 9, 2007, 05:08 PM
I saw it for that price at my local Target. They had two of them. I didn't really need it. I almost thought of buying them and putting them on eBay, but they wanted 15% restocking fee if I brought it back. So, I did not get them.

i would be all over that dude... i wish they would have that sale again