PDA

View Full Version : Conflict of interest Question

whawho
May 14, 2003, 03:09 PM
Hello,

I don't post much here, but I do lurk.

I know that there are plenty of people here that are designers. I have a question for you. I work for a company as its graphic and website designer. We had a staff meeting today and conflict of interest was brought up. I asked the question: what if I had a online portfolio that showed screen shots of work that I did for them? They said that this was conflict of interest because the designs I did for them were intellectual property. They also said that I couldn't even give links to websites that I designed for them. Is this true? I mean what design job can you get without a portfolio?

Thanks for your help!!

macphisto
May 14, 2003, 04:05 PM
That is a very touchy subject, and can be very sketchy. When you were hired, did you sign a contract that specifically defined what a conflict of interest would be? Typically companies don't care if you use work you have done in your portfolio after your job. But if you are showcasing and promoting yourself as a freelance designer through your own website, and are/could potentially take away or hurt their business it could be considered a conflict of interest and they could terminate you on that fact. Most of the time it is up to them. After your employment you should have freedom to show pieces in your portfolio, just ask them nicely. If you are just using your work in your website to showoff what are you are doing, then that should be fine. It is when you start courting their clients and their business then it gets sticky.

Another thing that you could do is credit the work that you have done to your company who you are currently working for. That would actually/sort of then be free advertising for them. :)

Does that help? PM me if you want to know some more specifics. I can perhaps help a little more.

jefhatfield
May 15, 2003, 10:34 AM
i have a friend who is an architect who designed a grocery store in a chain, but he worked for a frim of a famous architectural empire

of course, the ceo was on tv and said how he designed the store and took credit for it...and it was legal

look at how many people think steve jobs designed the imac, or think that jobs is wozniak (the inventor)...us macheads would not make those mistakes:D

iGav
May 15, 2003, 10:51 AM
They sound like a cool company to work for... :rolleyes:

I'd just publish your website and not tell them the URL.... and then look at finding a company that hasn't got it's collective head up it's own ar*e...

Like how insecure are they... :rolleyes:

davy the bunny
May 15, 2003, 01:14 PM
I would think that you would want to put a website that lists current work and older stuff and when you are in contact with another potential employer just give them the link to it, just be sure not to advertise that you are available for business on the website anywhere.

jefhatfield
May 15, 2003, 02:20 PM
so head up the arse is good for defining what a company is who lays claims to your ideas, but what is the name of a company that has nobody that invents anything, and has a ceo that likes to "borrow" ideas of other companies, but then threatens to squash them when they want to blow the whistle

anyone?

evildead
May 16, 2003, 01:22 PM
you can not show case work that you did for them on your site but I think you can legaly show links to public websites that you worked on. If they have it on the net... they anyone can look at it. If they are intranet internal sites... thats another story..

If I can look at it.... then anyone can