PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme Revisions?

pinks
May 14, 2003, 03:23 PM
I'm on the cusp of buying an Airport Extreme base-station and Airport card for my Pismo, but was wondering if this was really the right time.

Does anyone reckon there may be a redesign of Apple's wireless gizmo's anytime soon? Or, indeed, price reductions? I know that its easy to descend into constant waiting for the next revision of a product, but it does seem a long time since any changes were made to the Airport Extreme base station!

Thoughts, comments, anything - all gratefully received!

Cheers

- pinks

e-coli
May 14, 2003, 03:47 PM
No chance the base station is going to be re-designed anytime soon.

Purchase away!

Sun Baked
May 14, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by pinks
I'm on the cusp of buying an Airport Extreme base-station and Airport card for my Pismo, but was wondering if this was really the right time.

Does anyone reckon there may be a redesign of Apple's wireless gizmo's anytime soon? Or, indeed, price reductions? I know that its easy to descend into constant waiting for the next revision of a product, but it does seem a long time since any changes were made to the Airport Extreme base station!

Thoughts, comments, anything - all gratefully received!

Cheers

- pinks Yes it's been forever since they came out in January. ;)

yzedf
May 14, 2003, 04:46 PM
Why are you buying Airport Extreme base station? Your Pismo only uses normal Airport.

AE = 802.11g

old Airport = 802.11b

Pismo = 802.11b

Besides, Linksys and other companies offer the same, or better, for less money. That is why they are called standards...

pinks
May 14, 2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
Why are you buying Airport Extreme base station? Your Pismo only uses normal Airport...

Besides, Linksys and other companies offer the same, or better, for less money. That is why they are called standards...

A little bit of future-proofing here. I'm planning on buying a new Powermac desktop at some point during the next 6-8 months which I would like to hook up to the base station. I know the whole system (i.e with the Pismo linked up as well) would only run at 802.11b, but I'll get a new Powerbook some time so I may as well get the higher spec now, rather than having to buy again later!

On the non-Apple alternatives, do you have any particular recommendations? (i'd like to be able to use my USB printer remotely) I'd still have to use an Apple airport card wouldn't I?

BTW, doesn't January seem so far away! All the Apple announcements this year have affected my judgement! ;)

Many thanks for your advice

- pinks

Freg3000
May 14, 2003, 06:20 PM
I just installed the AE card in my PowerBook, but am going to borrow someone Linksys 802.11 "b" base station. I am afraid that I will get screwed with incompatibility issues when 802.11 g goes final. I know that Apple has said that they can fix all problems with a firmware update, but I am not planning to buy the Apple base station. I will get a "g" base station once it gets standardized. I don't want a non-Apple brand "g" now because I am afraid i will be left in the dark if the base station company does update for the final "g".

This is all unless someone tells me that the base station doesn't have anything to do with the expected firmware update. Then I'll get an 802.11 g station by Linksys right away. :)

dornball
May 22, 2003, 01:04 PM
yes, i would also like to know what are the pros and cons for a linksys vs. AE base station.
doesn't the linksys have a built in firewall?

don't the transmit on the 2.4 GHz frequency? wont that interfer with 2.4 GHz home phones, and other such devices?
how reliable is the connection?

thanks.
-dornball