PDA

View Full Version : Just Got My New iPod

Mac'Mo
Jan 13, 2007, 09:02 PM
....now is there anything i should do? like calibrate it or what not?

mad jew
Jan 13, 2007, 09:05 PM
I just got one too and I'm calibrating the battery. I doubt it'll help but I figure I may as well. I'm not running it down intentionally, I'm just avoiding plugging it back in until it has completely depleted its battery. :)

Scarlet Fever
Jan 13, 2007, 09:09 PM
register it with Apple, and enjoi it!

What model did you get?

Mac'Mo
Jan 13, 2007, 09:09 PM
doesn't the nano have a 24 hour battery life..... calibrating it will be a pain

dllavaneras
Jan 13, 2007, 09:10 PM
I tried that. The battery died on me while I was stuck in traffic :( How do you calibrate the battery, BTW?

Congrats to both of you on your new toys ;)

Mac'Mo
Jan 13, 2007, 09:10 PM
register it with Apple, and enjoi it!

What model did you get?

4 gb silver nano 2nd gen

Mac'Mo
Jan 13, 2007, 09:12 PM
I tried that. The battery died on me while I was stuck in traffic :( How do you calibrate the battery, BTW?

Congrats to both of you on your new toys ;)

im not sure btu when i calibrated my mb, its like you fully charge it and let it stay connected to the power source/adapter for like 3 hours then unplug it and let it run on its own battery until it drains fully. then plug it back in and charge it to 100%

mad jew
Jan 13, 2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, mine's still running down after about a week of random usage. I doubt it'll help, but I can't imagine it'll hurt. :)

dllavaneras
Jan 13, 2007, 09:17 PM
:) I calibrate my battery more often than I thought.

Mac'Mo
Jan 13, 2007, 09:24 PM
:) I calibrate my battery more often than I thought.

actually its not good to do it that often. at least this is the case for hte mb, i know you're supposed to calibrate it every 30 cycles, not every day.

Mac'Mo
Jan 13, 2007, 10:39 PM
i got this weird white dock thing, i have no clue how to use it! HELP!

Shotgun OS
Jan 13, 2007, 10:50 PM

You do nothing with it, unless you have something such as the iPod Hi-Fi or universal dock, I believe. It does nothing on its own. I threw mine in the trash. :rolleyes:

dllavaneras
Jan 13, 2007, 11:02 PM

Me either! Thanks for clearing that up.

Sweet! got me my own avatar :D

Mac'Mo
Jan 13, 2007, 11:43 PM
question, when i first plugged in my ipod, i plugged it into my mb. then i plugged it into my desktop (pc) and it said that there was an error since its formated in Mac, and asked me to restore it. I did and now i guess its under windows format and i then plugged it into my mb and i can transfer songs. why does windows work on mac but not the other way around?

balamw
Jan 14, 2007, 12:39 AM
why does windows work on mac but not the other way around?

Because OS X can read write FAT32 and read NTFS (The Windows file systems) out of the box, but Windows needs third party software (http://www.mediafour.com) to be able to read HFS+ which is the file system used by default in OS X.

B

dllavaneras
Jan 14, 2007, 12:42 AM
Because OS X can read write FAT32 and read NTFS (The Windows file systems) out of the box, but Windows needs third party software (http://www.mediafour.com) to be able to read HFS+ which is the file system used by default in OS X.

I was going to write "because Windows sucks" but your response is much more diplomatic

Mac'Mo
Jan 14, 2007, 08:07 AM
Last question, what are some freewares available for transferring songs from your iPod to your Windows PC? I use senuti on my MB and love it, but have not found a PC alternative freeware on par with this.

snakelda
Jan 15, 2007, 12:53 PM
on my pc,I use Sharepod

mad jew
Jan 16, 2007, 01:00 AM
On a PC, you can select to View Hidden Files from the Tools menu (I think) in any Explorer window and that should also let you see the tracks on your iPod.

dXTC
Jan 16, 2007, 12:01 PM
4 gb silver nano 2nd gen

What a coincidence. After a long wait, I finally got my first iPod yesterday-- a 4Gb 2nd gen nano.

(Okay, so it's blue, so there's not THAT much of a coincidence.)

I already use iTunes on my PC; I had evaluated other MP3 apps a year or so ago and found iTunes the most intuitive to use. And... well, whaddaya know... iTunes automatically recognized the new nano with zero errors. None. In Windoze, even. Got the nano's color right on the icon, too. Are all Apple's products this intelligently designed?

JHacker
Jan 16, 2007, 12:05 PM
Are all Apple's products this intelligently designed?

Absolutely YES!

Mac'Mo
Jan 16, 2007, 12:38 PM
Sharepod? is that freeware? I use iDump but it'd got an annoying feature that creates an "Unknown" folder in the destination. Any other suggestions?

Ish
Jan 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
Sweet! got me my own avatar :D

Hmm! So I see. Very … eyecatching :p