PDA

View Full Version : old powerbook needs update advice

ashray98
Jan 13, 2007, 09:14 PM
So, I need a little help in determining what I should do and can do to update my powerbook. As I said, it is old. I think I got it in 01 or 02.
667 MHz, 512 Ram (yes, it is enough for me at the moment),
running 10.2.8
When I got it, it was top of the line, and I used it for graphics and drafting. I was the queen of OS9 (I got it right when they came out wiht OSX, and my office was not ready to switch.) Anyway, I have since left the field, and use my powerbook mostly for word docs, reseach, email, itunes, and playing with photos in photoshop, but I have been way out of the loop as far as the innerworking of the computer. Years ago, m husband spilled lots of liquid on it and did not tell me. A few months ago, after taking it in for a weird noise, i was told about the massive amount of corrosion it it. They disconnected the speakers (making the noise) and told me they were surprised it still worked. Here I am years later, and it still kicks ass! But it does seem sluggish sometimes and I want to update a few things. So, now that I have given probably more than enough background, here are my questions. (Oh, I removed OS9 about 6 months ago, thanks to this forum...)
1. Is there some sort of system check or repair to run, just to make sure everything is running properly? I remember something like this from os9, but no clue now.
2. Will I be able to upgrade directly from os10.2.8 to either tiger or leopard or do i have to step up each one?
3. We will be buying a new Imac soon for my husband, will i be able to use that OS to upgrade my laptop?

Any other suggestions? I would like to get a new one sometime, but for now, the IMac is priority.

Thanks, and sorry for being so wordy...

dpaanlka
Jan 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
512mb is a lot for most people who only do one thing at a time, believe it or not.

You can always get more RAM.

You can go from Jaguar to Tiger, yes. For my peace of mind, I usually backup all my important files, and completely erase the hard drive and reinstall the new OS and all my apps, then replace my important files. This gives me a fresh clean feeling.

Use Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) to repair file permissions.

No, you cannot use a new Mac's OS on that thing.

ashray98
Jan 14, 2007, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to buy Tiger.

And amazingly enough, back in the day, even with 512, I could have photoshop, pagemaker, and my drafting program (PowerCadd) running with large files, and no problems.

dpaanlka
Jan 14, 2007, 01:12 AM
And amazingly enough, back in the day, even with 512, I could have photoshop, pagemaker, and my drafting program (PowerCadd) running with large files, and no problems.

Yes, thats Mac OS classic for you.

California
Jan 14, 2007, 04:21 AM
splurge and bump the ram to 1gig. Then buy a 100gb Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm hard drive. I had this same machine until a while ago, with these maxed out specs on Tiger. It was great. Also, you can add a Superdrive to it. These additions can be done very easily by you alone. I know because i did it myself. VERY easy on a Tibook. When the Tibook gives up the ghost, part out the ram and the machine after you pull the hard drive.