Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I think Apple have made a big problem with the Apple TV, for the fact that only america has the capibilities of downlaoding movies from the iTunes store and so for all of us in Europe, the Uk and other counteries, the Apple Tv seems not worth having . . .

Anyone agree?

(P.S I couldnt find a thread anywhere else but what does everyone thikn about the silent introduction of the Airport Extreme?)

:)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Well, the real issue is whether Apple will have video content available to the UK (and other countries) by the time the aTV ships. Not having the content now is irrelevant. If there is no content available when the aTV is available, then it becomes a problem.

So right now, it's more of a "wait and see, then complain" type of deal going on.

ft

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
So right now, it's more of a "wait and see, then complain" type of deal going on.

I agree with this. If appleTV is going to ship to and be available in Europe and other countries, then I'm sure the movie store will be expanded to those countries as well.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Why all the 'UK and Other Countries' above? :) Europe is Europe...

[OnTopic]
I agree I don't see much use for the AppleTV; I want to view my DivX and DVD's on my TV. Now I just hook up my PowerBook and it works perfectly or I stream my iTunes collection to my Airport Exptress. I don't see why I would need some AppleTV Settop box with which I can only play videos from the iTunes store? And I even need my PowerBook as well. So with AppleTV I need two devices in stead of just one I use now?
[OnTopic]

erikamsterdam

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
amsterdam
Same thought here. Why can you only stream from stupid iTunes ?!?! That means you cannot play any movies downloaded from other sources than iTunes. I thought this would be a great thing, much more stylish and with remote compared to TV out on a computer. But I guess not for me :(

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I've said this before (in other threads) but I'll say it again: Perhaps Apple is not the only party involved when it comes to bringing TV Shows and Movies to other countries. Think about it.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Totally OT, but the UK was part of the European Union last time i checked...

Yeah, no kidding. I was poking fun at our British friends for their arms-length relationship with Europe and made a literary allusion to 1984 in the process ... but yes, if you demand encyclopedic literalism in all of your discussions, the UK is in Europe.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
but yes, if you demand encyclopedic literalism in all of your discussions, the UK is in Europe.

Yes but in terms of Apple inc. it may not be.

Although it was quite along time ago am I right in thinking that the UK got the iTunes Music store before the rest of europe did?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
What they need to add is something like Handbrake to iTunes so that the DVD's that we all own can be watched/stored on the new magical device. An upgradable HD perhaps, video in.

This will never happen. Yeah, never is a long time, but this one is almost a certainty. Why? Well, for one, Apple is selling content on their own store, so why would they open iTunes up for competition? OK, I know you're going to say that "iTunes lets you rip CDs and the iTMS sells music, so what's the problem?"

Good point, but iTunes allowed ripping CDs to mp3's before the iTMS was set-up. But even with that, there's the second reason that we'll never see DVD rippin' on iTunes. The DMCA.

Right now, in the US, ripping a DVD is against the DMCA (note that I don't say illegal). Apple won't facilitate ripping DVDs on the Mac or iTunes.

ft

everhage

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
Illegal or not. It's rather easy to rip DVD's straight to MP4 or H264 format and inmport these into iTunes. Works fine for my iPod. I don't see why these movies won't work through AppleTV. I'm buying one in order to get rid of my crappy DVD player.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Illegal or not. It's rather easy to rip DVD's straight to MP4 or H264 format and inmport these into iTunes. Works fine for my iPod. I don't see why these movies won't work through AppleTV. I'm buying one in order to get rid of my crappy DVD player.

Understood. However, if you're only interested in the movie and not the DVD extras, this will work.

Personally, I like the extras on the DVD. I also tend to use sub-titles.

For me, ripping the DVD as a Video_TS folder works much better than as an MPG4 or h264.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
For me, ripping the DVD as a Video_TS folder works much better than as an MPG4 or h264.
It's certainly faster, especially on older processors (e.g. my wife's 1.25GHz eMac that I'm still using for most ripping). And my EyeTV 200 recordings are more convenient left as MPEG-2, which are DVD-Video compatible for archiving and can be streamed to EyeHome (though unfortunately not to Apple TV, AFAWK).

I can understand Apple wanting to use Apple TV as a way to "promote" (e.g. with iTS sales) H.264 but not having backwards compatibility for pre-existing MPEG-2 content (e.g. EyeTV recordings) content and SDTV are two deal-killers for me.

XjeffX

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2004
People are complaining that they can't rip dvd's to iTunes and then watch them on the AppleTV? Why not just pop the DVD in to your player?

Let's face it, people want to play movies they have downloaded. I know I do.

I have an old xbox that is modified with a 160 gb hard drive. I ftp to that and upload my videos to watch on my tv. It works great. If apple's device let me play my own videos in almost any format, I'd definitely buy it. But just to play iTunes movies? Nah... I don't think so.

Apple wants revenue from the iTunes music/movie store and who can blame them? I can't help but think how many people would jump all over this device if it were open to other formats though. I guess Apple's playing it safe.

SteveJA

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
Well, the real issue is whether Apple will have video content available to the UK (and other countries) by the time the aTV ships. Not having the content now is irrelevant.

Irrelevant?

iTunes Store in the USA started selling T.V. programmes on October 12th 2005... Today, in the UK well over a year has passed and still all we can buy are music videos and Pixar short films.

I'm bored of waiting now.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Irrelevant?

iTunes Store in the USA started selling T.V. programmes on October 12th 2005... Today, in the UK well over a year has passed and still all we can buy are music videos and Pixar short films.

I'm bored of waiting now.

I'm sure Apple would love to sell music, movies, and TV shows to every country in the world, but they aren't the people holding this up.

everhage

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
I take it you're not interested in surround sound?

Got a point there.To be honest I'm not. I don't feel like putting a bunch of spekaers in my small living room only to see my little kid to put LEGO blocks in each of them. My subwoofer and two small speakers are doing fine. Besides, If I want to experience a movie the way it should be, I buy myself a ticket for the cinema.....superwidescreen, surround sound, and a big box of popcorn.

PS...it's only my opinion.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
Now I just hook up my PowerBook and it works perfectly or I stream my iTunes collection to my Airport Exptress. I don't see why I would need some AppleTV Settop box with which I can only play videos from the iTunes store? And I even need my PowerBook as well. So with AppleTV I need two devices in stead of just one I use now?

I dont have a laptop and my Mac is in a different room to my TV, so the Atv is perfect for me. I have the EyeTV210 (or 410 I forget) with EyeConnect. Eyetv say they will support the ATV in due course so I see no reason why I should not be able to stream DBV-T over Atv.

Then there is the unprotected content on the web which can be downloaded and put on the ATV HD. I have ordered the ATV, and Airport Extreme, so its sit and wait right now.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I dont have a laptop and my Mac is in a different room to my TV, so the Atv is perfect for me. I have the EyeTV210 (or 410 I forget) with EyeConnect. Eyetv say they will support the ATV in due course so I see no reason why I should not be able to stream DBV-T over Atv.

Then there is the unprotected content on the web which can be downloaded and put on the ATV HD. I have ordered the ATV, and Airport Extreme, so its sit and wait right now.

No, seriously, I have an aTV on order, and would like to try to get broadcast HD. I see you can get Elgato's USB hookup, would it be possible to stream it over to the aTV to my home theater from the Mini on my desk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.