Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
So a family member's ipod 2g 10gb has horrible battery life, only plays around 10 songs each charge. I read about it online and decide to buy a replacement from OtherWorldComputing. It arrives and its time to install it. The problem is I can't seem to get the back cover off. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? I have read many articles/watched videos/ etc, but I can't seem to get the cover off. Is there any special trick that I need to know?

Thanks in advance for the help!

MichelleAK

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Anchorage, AK
So a family member's ipod 2g 10gb has horrible battery life, only plays around 10 songs each charge. I read about it online and decide to buy a replacement from OtherWorldComputing. It arrives and its time to install it. The problem is I can't seem to get the back cover off. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? I have read many articles/watched videos/ etc, but I can't seem to get the cover off. Is there any special trick that I need to know?

No special trick that I know of (unless you count a lot of swearing); if you use the tool OWC sent with the battery, the best thing is to get it in the crease along one of the sides, and try to work around to a corner. You can generally get more leverage that way. It took me some time to get the back off, but I was able to finally work it loose. Once it is off, the rest is easy.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar

Pry like hell. Try twisting the blade of a mini screwdriver rather than just throwing leverage at it. Start at the top corner. Once you loosen one corner the rest is easy.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara

Those are probably the easiest to fix. Like others have said, don't worry about being too gentle getting that back cover off. It's likely the old bugger is a bit scratched anyway.

I highly recommend using a very very thin flathead screwdriver like youd find in an eyeglasses repair kit, but longer. You can get em at the dollar store. You'll also want something you can stick in between the back cover and the body to keep it open while you undo a couple other clips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.